Bush's Visit

Ten Packs

And for the "other side"

no1important
Ha ha those are good.

Bush should not be visiting. However if he wants to visit he should be arrested and sent to the Hague and be charged for war crimes and violating the Geneva convention. After all a military commander is responsible for his troops.

Reverend Blair
Unfortunately we can't arrest him when he's here on an official visit. We should point out to him that, should he ever come back to Canada to fish or hunt again, he is fair game though. There is no statute of limitations on war crimes, after all.

Since Georgie is too cowardly and rude to meet with all of the opposition leaders, Jack wrote him a letter. http://ndp.ca/speechdetail/nid-2360

moghrabi
Excellent letter. I hope the idiot reads it and if he does, understands it.

TenPenny
I doubt that GWB can read; there's a fair amount of evidence that he can't.
-He has been pictured at least once holding a book upside down, "reading" to kids;

Rick van Opbergen
Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

However if he wants to visit he should be arrested and sent to the Hague and be charged for war crimes and violating the Geneva convention.

May I remind you that the US can "legally" invade the Netherlands even when a normal American is brought to The Hague? So: NO!

Reverend Blair
Under international agreements we can try him here, Ricky. The UN also did not renew the US's immunity, and the US finally gave up on trying to bully them into extending it, so a resulting invasion wouldn't be legal.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3835193.stm

LadyC
Quote:

...so a resulting invasion wouldn't be legal.

That would matter to the Americans how???

Andem
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny

I doubt that GWB can read; there's a fair amount of evidence that he can't.
-He has been pictured at least once holding a book upside down, "reading" to kids;

TenPenny, I thought that picture was funny when I first saw it... but the photo is actually doctored. http://www.snopes.com/photos/bushbook.asp

Reverend Blair
The first minor incident with protestors just happend in Ottawa. What they were showing on Newsworld didn't really make what was going on clear, but what I've just heard makes it a little more clear, or maybe less.

I have a friend who's there and during a peaceful protest a single cop took a swing at somebody. Nobody knows why, it might have been because the protestor put (or had) a balaclava on or he might have said something or he might have kicked the cop in the shins. That's three possibilities from one person who was only a few feet away.

Anyway, what the crowd saw was a cop hit a protestor. They surged forward and the cops pushed back. Keep that in mind...what the crowd saw was a cop hit a protestor. Even then they remained mostly peaceful. There was a stick or two visible on TV and some punches thrown against cop shields, but it was mostly just a bunch of people taking a step or two forward.

One cop was hurt (the rumour there is that he was hit by another cop who was swinging at a protestor, but nobody knows) and some protestors were arrested. At least one was beaten a bit, a few others were treated very roughly considering they were not fighting back. There is no need to kneel on a man's head when he is resisting by letting his body go limp, especially when two of your buddies are holding him down.

When the cops put on their gas masks, my friend decided it was probably a good time to go grab a bite to eat. So did most of the crowd. He is looking forward to more peaceful protesting in a few hours. Also, he thinks he can score with some girl from Montreal.

Ten Packs
The President mentioned, at the joint news conference with he and Prime Minister Martin, that he appreciated the reception by Canadian citizens, including "the folks that came and lined the streets, waving........ with all five fingers!"

He cracked me up......

Rick van Opbergen
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Under international agreements we can try him here, Ricky. The UN also did not renew the US's immunity, and the US finally gave up on trying to bully them into extending it, so a resulting invasion wouldn't be legal.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3835193.stm

Thanks for the link Reverend I wasn't aware of that. Does bring some relief.

Hendrixismyidol
What I do know about Bush's visit is that it's going to make my commute home disastrous. The traffic reports don't sound good at all with all the closed roads

Reverend Blair
Just make your way to the hill and light a candle, Hendrix. Or go to the Chateau Laurier...I hear a couple thousand protestors there have pretty much choked off the hotel.

It's all perfectly peaceful and will likely remain that way until the cops put on their gas masks again.

youwho
"He had met with Hermann Göring and Adolf Hitler, whom he said was a reasonable man who cared for his fellow man, working to improve his country in the midst of the Depression. He confided in his diary that he thought Hitler "might come to be thought of as one of the saviours of the world" and told a Jewish delegation that "Kristallnacht might turn out to be a blessing."

youwho
"He had met with Hermann Göring and Adolf Hitler, whom he said was a reasonable man who cared for his fellow man, working to improve his country in the midst of the Depression. He confided in his diary that he thought Hitler "might come to be thought of as one of the saviours of the world" and told a Jewish delegation that "Kristallnacht might turn out to be a blessing."

Paranoid Dot Calm
Hey! Reverend Blair
I liked the cartoons. Good Canadian Cartoons are quite unique.

Hey! Ten Packs
That was a good letter from Jack Layton. I wish the same person who wrote this for him would write his campaign speeches.
I heard someone say on TV last night that Greenland is talking about us in the same way that we are talking about the U.S. .

Calm

Reverend Blair
We should be having a look at how we are treating Greenland then. That's not good.

missile
Conservative
Layton is an interesting man with a lot of good ideas. He was treated very badly in the House Of Commons yesterday by the Liberals. I wonder just how long before the next election?

Reverend Blair
It wasn;t all the Liberals and it wasn't just the Liberals. A lot of Liberal banck benchers sat quietly, apparently. A lot of Conservatives were trying trying to shout him down too.

Layton scares the crap out of these people because he's articulate and bright. They keep seeing polls where their policies on BMD and trade and relations with the US are opposed by most Canadians and there's Jack saying the same thing that most Canadians are.

It's very important to Martinites in the Liberal Party and Conservatives to keep Jack from getting people riled up enough the start lobbying their MPs.

chrisfer
Lets not even talk about the house of commons, anyone who has watched it knows its a joke. No wonder nothing gets done in government. Just once I would like to see a prime minister with a tough stance. If the americans won't let our beef into the states, maybe we don't let our petroleum into the states. Contrary to poular belief about the middle east. Canada is the #1 supplier of petroleum to the U.S. No gas no SUV's and minivans going to work. Thats pressure. Its time Canada became a player in international politics like we were during the cold war instead of waterboys behind the bench.

ElPolaco
Below are excerpts from Coulter's and Carlson's Canada-bashing.

From the November 30 edition of FOX News' Hannity & Colmes:

COULTER: Conservatives, as a general matter, take the position that you should not punish your friends and reward your enemies. And Canada has become trouble recently.

It's -- I suppose it's always, I might add, the worst Americans who end up going there. The Tories after the Revolutionary War, the Vietnam draft dodgers after Vietnam. And now after this election, you have the blue-state people moving up there.

[...]

COULTER: There is also something called, when you're allowed to exist on the same continent of the United States of America, protecting you with a nuclear shield around you, you're polite and you support us when we've been attacked on our own soil. They [Canada] violated that protocol.

[...]

COULTER: They better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent.

[...]

COULTER: We could have taken them [Canada] over so easily.

[ALAN] COLMES: We could have taken them over? Is that what you want?

COULTER: Yes, but no. All I want is the western portion, the ski areas, the cowboys, and the right-wingers.

[...]

COULTER: They don't even need to have an army, because they are protected, because they're on the same continent with the United States of America. If we were not the United States of America, Canada -- I mean, we're their trading partner. We keep their economy afloat.

[...]

ELLIS HENICAN [Newsday columnist]: We share a lot of culture and a lot of interests. Why do we want to have to ridicule them and be deeply offended if they disagree with us?

COULTER: Because they speak French.

COLMES: There's something else I want to point out about the French. Is it's fashionable again on your side to denounce the French.

COULTER: We like the English-speaking Canadians.

From the November 30 edition of CNN's Wolf Blitzer Reports:

CARLSON: Without the U.S., Canada is essentially Honduras, but colder and much less interesting.

[...]

CARLSON: We exploit your [addressing Canadian Member of Parliament Carolyn Parrish] natural resources, that's true. But in the end, Canadians with ambition move to the United States. That has been sort of the trend for decades. It says something not very good about Canada. And I think it makes Canadians feel bad about themselves and I understand that.

[...]

CARLSON: Canada needs the United States. The United States does not need Canada.

[...]

CARLSON: I think if Canada were responsible for its own security -- you would be invaded by Norway if it weren't for the United States.

[...]

CARLSON: [A]bsolutely the countries will remain allies and there will always be politicians who see it to their benefit to stomp on Bush dolls [referring to action taken by Parrish]. But no, I don't think the average Canadian feels -- the average Canadian is busy dogsledding.

[...]

PARRISH: No, there's not a lot of dogsledding. There's a lot of dog walking, my friend. Not a lot of dogsledding.

CARLSON: Welcome to our century.

From the November 30 edition of CNN's Crossfire:

CARLSON: Canada's essentially -- essentially a made-in-Taiwan version of the United States.

[...]

CARLSON: I'm surprised there was anybody left in Canada to attend the protests. I noticed that most sort of vigorous, ambitious Canadians, at least almost all comedians in Canada, come to the United States in the end. Doesn't that tell you something about the sort of limpid, flaccid nature of Canadian society, that people with ambition come here? What does that tell you about Canada?

ElPolaco

COULTER: Conservatives, as a general matter, take the position that you should not punish your friends and reward your enemies. And Canada has become trouble recently.

It's -- I suppose it's always, I might add, the worst Americans who end up going there. The Tories after the Revolutionary War, the Vietnam draft dodgers after Vietnam. And now after this election, you have the blue-state people moving up there.

[...]

COULTER: There is also something called, when you're allowed to exist on the same continent of the United States of America, protecting you with a nuclear shield around you, you're polite and you support us when we've been attacked on our own soil. They [Canada] violated that protocol.

[...]

COULTER: They better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent.

[...]

COULTER: Yes, but no. All I want is the western portion, the ski areas, the cowboys, and the right-wingers.

[...]

COULTER: They don't even need to have an army, because they are protected, because they're on the same continent with the United States of America. If we were not the United States of America, Canada -- I mean, we're their trading partner. We keep their economy afloat.

[...]

ELLIS HENICAN [Newsday columnist]: We share a lot of culture and a lot of interests. Why do we want to have to ridicule them and be deeply offended if they disagree with us?

COLMES: There's something else I want to point out about the French. Is it's fashionable again on your side to denounce the French.

CARLSON: Without the U.S., Canada is essentially Honduras, but colder and much less interesting.

[...]

CARLSON: We exploit your [addressing Canadian Member of Parliament Carolyn Parrish] natural resources, that's true. But in the end, Canadians with ambition move to the United States. That has been sort of the trend for decades. It says something not very good about Canada. And I think it makes Canadians feel bad about themselves and I understand that.

[...]

CARLSON: Canada needs the United States. The United States does not need Canada.

[...]

CARLSON: I think if Canada were responsible for its own security -- you would be invaded by Norway if it weren't for the United States.

[...]

CARLSON: [A]bsolutely the countries will remain allies and there will always be politicians who see it to their benefit to stomp on Bush dolls [referring to action taken by Parrish]. But no, I don't think the average Canadian feels -- the average Canadian is busy dogsledding.

[...]

PARRISH: No, there's not a lot of dogsledding. There's a lot of dog walking, my friend. Not a lot of dogsledding.

CARLSON: Canada's essentially -- essentially a made-in-Taiwan version of the United States.

[...]

CARLSON: I'm surprised there was anybody left in Canada to attend the protests. I noticed that most sort of vigorous, ambitious Canadians, at least almost all comedians in Canada, come to the United States in the end. Doesn't that tell you something about the sort of limpid, flaccid nature of Canadian society, that people with ambition come here? What does that tell you about Canada?

ElPolaco

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

[...]

Reverend Blair
Carlson and Coulter are mean-spirited idiots who know nothing about Canada. Let them say what they want. There are a couple things that should be responded to though...

Quote:

Let me grab my hat and boots. I can give Coulter a good going over and then start recitng Tommy Douglas speeches to her. That should shut her up for a while.

Quote:

One word, Tucker. Energy. Without Canadian energy there is no US manufacturing or military. The US wouldn't even be able to feed itself.

Paranoid Dot Calm
Hey!

Do yuh think that it was the Americans who talked the Liberals into the gun registry?
Maybe Americans are afraid of us?

Calm

moghrabi
Americans are afraid of their own shadow these days. So everything is possible.

I couldn't believe the security around Bush when he was here. It seemed to me that a dictator (and he is one) is visiting under tight security. That means there are a lot of people who like to have the first shot at him.

June Cleaver
Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Ha ha those are good.

Bush should not be visiting. However if he wants to visit he should be arrested and sent to the Hague and be charged for war crimes and violating the Geneva convention. After all a military commander is responsible for his troops.

No Shit! Why didn't you guys arrest him when he was up there yesterday. I am horrified that this guy is going to be running the USA for 4 more years. You know he is going to go into Iran next. Meanwhile, Russia is ramping up their nuclear weapons program. If it wasn't so darned cold up there, I'd join you. I can not figure out why MY party, the Democrats, do NOT go after this lunatic. Bill Clinton was hounded by the Republicans from the moment he took the oath of office. Nothing ever panned out but Ken Starr had Susan McDougal locked up for ever because she wouldn't talk about some stupid land deal in Arkansas... Remember White Water? Why IS Bush waling around FREE while he allows Iraqi prisoner abuse by U.S. soldiers???? While he bombs thousands of innocent people, kills babies and old women? What is wrong with half of this country? Why did ANYONE vote for this bone headed moron? The guy can't pronounce Nuclear. As an American, I am embarrassed by the lameness of "OUR COMMANDER AND CHIEF"

- Sign me, Baffled in San Diego, CA

youwho
OK. Second Clue:

"Privately, he was highly eccentric with his preference for consulting spirits, including that of Leonardo da Vinci, Louis Pasteur, his dead mother and his dog."

Reverend Blair
Our present Prime Minister is almost as inept as George Bush, June. I never thought I'd be missing Jean Chretien, but between Paul Martin and Stephen Harper Jean looks like a master statesman.