Turtle flies into truck windshield on S.C. highway


spaminator
#1
Turtle flies into truck windshield on S.C. highway
Associated Press
Published:
May 3, 2019
Updated:
May 3, 2019 4:25 PM EDT
(Getty Images)
CONWAY, S.C. — A South Carolina driver got a case of shell shock after a turtle flying through the air on a busy highway shattered his windshield.
A truck struck the turtle sending it flying into John Gardner's windshield. Sadly, the turtle didn't survive. http://t.co/psEBAdMyUz
— WIBW (@wibw) May 3, 2019
John Gardner said the rear tire on a truck near him hit the turtle Tuesday afternoon on U.S. Highway 501 near Conway and flung the reptile into his windshield.
He says he had no time to react to what was just a “big, black dot coming at me.”
WBTW-TV reported the impact was so severe that it killed the turtle and both drivers stopped.
The turtle ended up lodged in Gardner’s windshield and he has been told it will cost US$2,000 to repair the glass and damaged windshield wipers.
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet,
but your article continues below.
Gardner says he was covered in glass shards but not hurt.
http://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod...I6IiAifQ%3D%3D
http://wibw.com/content/news/509377621.html
http://torontosun.com/news/world/tur...on-s-c-highway
 
Blackleaf
#2
I didn't know turtles could fly.
 
B00Mer
#3
To bad for the turtle.. In Texas they are building road guards and places for animals to go under the road to get across.
 
DaSleeper
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

To bad for the turtle.. In Texas they are building road guards and places for animals to go under the road to get across.

Florida state had something about turtle crossings a couple of years ago....I remember something on the news about that.
 
taxslave
#5
We have frog crossings on many highways. Basically just some fencing dirrecting them into culverts.
 
B00Mer
+1
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Florida state had something about turtle crossings a couple of years ago....I remember something on the news about that.

What they are building in Texas, helps with the migration.

 
petros
+1
#7
Had that in SK for as long as I can remember.

5 miles West of QuAppelle.
 
B00Mer
+1
#8


...and in Banff National Park they have migration bridges.

https://mymodernmet.com/wildlife-crossings/

*Thumbs Up* to the people who build this stuff.

...and here are other countries.

http://photofunonline.com/15-amazing...ls-every-year/
 
petros
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post


...and in Banff National Park they have migration bridges.
https://mymodernmet.com/wildlife-crossings/
*Thumbs Up* to the people who build this stuff.
...and here are other countries.
http://photofunonline.com/15-amazing...ls-every-year/

They work.

Overpasses, Underpasses & Fences
Banff National Park has a total of 44 wildlife crossings (6 overpasses and 38 underpasses) and 82 km of highway fencing. 152,514 animals from 11 different species have used the crossings in the past 17 years and wildlife fatalities have dropped by over 80%.

Now to get people to quit stopping in the middle of the highway to take pictures of goats.
 

Similar Threads