Rogue River and prairie fire

Hoid
Its quite a start to 2019 on the weather front. The (continuing) flooding in Eastern Canada and on the Rogue River in Quebec in particular are calling into question the viability of even living in places Canadians have lived for generations. How many times can you bail out someone who lives on a flood plain? Or what is now a flood plain? The problem is also starting to be asked as regards ocean water front buttressing. How much can you do in the face of a rising ocean level? Take a look at New York City. They're looking at a $10 billion bandaid for Manhattan.

To me the real story weather wise is the prairie fire. In April.

That one is pretty amazing.

In BC they have produced a budget that sets fire fighting costs back to "normal" after two years of hell on Earth. Many people in the forest sector are wondering what happens when its a third straight year of disaster management. Are we in the same boat with the people living in now flood prone areas. Is it folly to think you can manage wildfire in BC these days? Should people just pull up stakes?

Mowich
+1 / -1
#2  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Its quite a start to 2019 on the weather front. The (continuing) flooding in Eastern Canada and on the Rogue River in Quebec in particular are calling into question the viability of even living in places Canadians have lived for generations. How many times can you bail out someone who lives on a flood plain? Or what is now a flood plain? The problem is also starting to be asked as regards ocean water front buttressing. How much can you do in the face of a rising ocean level? Take a look at New York City. They're looking at a $10 billion bandaid for Manhattan.

In BC they have produced a budget that sets fire fighting costs back to "normal" after two years of hell on Earth. Many people in the forest sector are wondering what happens when its a third straight year of disaster management. Are we in the same boat with the people living in now flood prone areas. Is it folly to think you can manage wildfire in BC these days? Should people just pull up stakes?

Pulling up stakes is an easy argument to make when one hasn't a clue what is involved or the disruption it would cause. If this year turns out to be yet another replay of hell on earth it will definitely spell the end to this pathetic excuse for a government here in BC when they come up short of funds with which to fight the fires. I wonder how many intelligent people will wonder about all the money that is going to fight a needless and costly court battle to stop twinning of the KM line?

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Pulling up stakes is an easy argument to make when one hasn't a clue what is involved or the disruption it would cause. If this year turns out to be yet another replay of hell on earth it will definitely spell the end to this pathetic excuse for a government here in BC when they come up short of funds with which to fight the fires. I wonder how many intelligent people will wonder about all the money that is going to fight a needless and costly court battle to stop twinning of the KM line?

Sorry about the red. I slipped.

taxslave
+1
If more people like hoid pulled up stakes it would be much easier to get the country running properly again. We need to get back to where government was mostly concerned about what taxpayers need instead of what freeloaders want.

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Sorry about the red. I slipped.

sure you did

petros

Prarie fires in April aren't normal?

Flooding in Quebec happens on an 18 year average starting in 1901. Consistent 15 year floods with a 20 year gap in from 1951 to 1971

Hoid
https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...with-a-warning

Montreal follows Ottawa and declares state of emergency as smaller communities upriver are evacuated due to unprecedented flooding.

taxslave
Well if they haddn't turned all the farmland into parking lots this problem wouldn't exist.

Hoid
Parking lots cause snow and rain

good to know

captain morgan

Well if they haddn't turned all the farmland into parking lots this problem wouldn't exist.

The solution here is that Montreal needs to dump even more raw sewage into the surrounding rivers

MHz
What month will the Red River flood out Winnipeg?

DaSleeper
+1
Some people pray for snow in the winter to go skying,

then cry when it melts and causes floods down river when it melts in the spring!

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Prarie fires in April aren't normal?
Flooding in Quebec happens on an 18 year average starting in 1901. Consistent 15 year floods with a 20 year gap in from 1951 to 1971

This is a really bad flood year in Quebec ... and Ottawa. Flooding in Ottawa is not at all common.

petros

It's the slow melting heavy snow and deep frost in the forests extrapolating the the heavy rains.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

This is a really bad flood year in Quebec ... and Ottawa. Flooding in Ottawa is not at all common.

https://ottawariver.ca/historical-wa...ow-summary.php

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

https://ottawariver.ca/historical-wa...ow-summary.php

Just checked the data for Gatineau , if the rest are similar it appears this years flooding is not abnormal .

taxslave

Parking lots cause snow and rain
good to know

Fukk you're stupid.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Just checked the data for Gatineau , if the rest are similar it appears this years flooding is not abnormal .

I guess. I come from that general part of the world. There is a highway bridge that goes over the Ottawa river where it meets the St. Lawrence that is just five miles from where I grew up and it is now closed due to flooding for the first time in my (62 year life). Flooding is not uncommon but this is an extreme year, particularly on the Ottawa River system.

Hoid
Our crack team of google climatologists on the job.

What will their findings be?

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I guess. I come from that general part of the world. There is a highway bridge that goes over the Ottawa river where it meets the St. Lawrence that is just five miles from where I grew up and it is now closed due to flooding for the first time in my (62 year life). Flooding is not uncommon but this is an extreme year, particularly on the Ottawa River system.

Antidotal, the flow charts are there for all to see .

captain morgan
+1

Our crack team of google climatologists on the job.

What will their findings be?

Our peer-reviewed study has determined with a 99.9998974% degree of certainty that you are an idiot