No NAFTA ratification

Hoid
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tar...nday-1.5070659

Freeland basically said today that we won't be ratifying NAFTA unless the steel/aluminum tariffs are removed.

This is something that I said long ago. There is no point in even negotiating with America as long as Trump is in power. They do not negotiate in good faith and we are simply wasting our time trying.

We need to go forward with a case by case policy until he is gone and some sort of normalcy returns. If it ever does.

At the moment America is a write off and frankly they aren't worth worrying about.

pgs
Free Thinker
Just as there is no sense for Canadians to try to renegotiate anything with the incompetent stooges occupying Ottawant .

White_Unifier
http://www.ceocouncil.ca/wp-content/...-May-20141.pdf

'Using a general equilibrium model, this paper explores the potential benefits of unilateral free trade for Canada. On the one hand, eliminating all tariffs would cost the federal government roughly $4 billion a year in revenue. Offsetting that, there would be some savings for government on the $75 million currently budgeted for collection of border taxes and the management of free trade agreements.

'More importantly, this paper projects output gains on the order of one per cent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) – approximately $20 billion a year based on the level of GDP in 2013 – in additional economic activity due to the cost savings to firms engaged in trade.'

Trudeau likes to vaunt how they support 'evidence-based' policies.

Well, there ya go!

I'm actually a fan of Brexit in principle (if it had an actual friggin' plan behind it) but not when the referendum question didn't clearly define the alternative to remaining.

I could support Canada holding the following referendum:

Do you want Canada to:

1. Sign the USMCA or
2. Adopt unilateral global free trade within five years.

While even that allows for some ambiguity, I think it's clear enough to avoid the circus we now see in the UK where Brexit can mean way too many things to different people. 'Unilateral global free trade' is defined clearly enough to at least avoid that kind of chaos.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

http://www.ceocouncil.ca/wp-content/...-May-20141.pdf

'Using a general equilibrium model, this paper explores the potential benefits of unilateral free trade for Canada. On the one hand, eliminating all tariffs would cost the federal government roughly $4 billion a year in revenue. Offsetting that, there would be some savings for government on the $75 million currently budgeted for collection of border taxes and the management of free trade agreements.

'More importantly, this paper projects output gains on the order of one per cent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) – approximately $20 billion a year based on the level of GDP in 2013 – in additional economic activity due to the cost savings to firms engaged in trade.'

Trudeau likes to vaunt how they support 'evidence-based' policies.

Well, there ya go!

I'm actually a fan of Brexit in principle (if it had an actual friggin' plan behind it) but not when the referendum question didn't clearly define the alternative to remaining.

I could support Canada holding the following referendum:

Do you want Canada to:

1. Sign the USMCA or
2. Adopt unilateral global free trade within five years.

While even that allows for some ambiguity, I think it's clear enough to avoid the circus we now see in the UK where Brexit can mean way too many things to different people. 'Unilateral global free trade' is defined clearly enough to at least avoid that kind of chaos.

We donít even have free trade between the provinces of Canada . No one wants free trade , they want to protect their markets .

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

We donít even have free trade between the provinces of Canada . No one wants free trade , they want to protect their markets .

I.e. they all want to look out for their own personal interests rather than the common interest.Oh Canada!

pgs
Free Thinker

I.e. they all want to look out for their own personal interests rather than the common interest.Oh Canada!

Not only Canada every country , every province , every village , every company . It is human nature to look after your own interests first .

Tecumsehsbones
+1
#7  Top Rated Post

And yet free trade proves superior to protectionism every time it's tried. Go figure.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

And yet free trade proves superior to protectionism every time it's tried. Go figure.

It might benefit the economy as a whole, but it might hurt me personally. So I'll vote for protectionism and screw the rest of the population over for my own benefit.

I'm no natoinalist, but I think Canada does need a good dose of patriotism.

Hoid

What a load of shit

Tecumsehsbones

It might benefit the economy as a whole, but it might hurt me personally. So I'll vote for protectionism and screw the rest of the population over for my own benefit.
I'm no natoinalist, but I think Canada does need a good dose of patriotism.

So run away, whimper, and keep on insisting in your Gawd-given right to produce oil lamps in the age of electric light.

All it will do is delay your demise.

White_Unifier

So run away, whimper, and keep on insisting in your Gawd-given right to produce oil lamps in the age of electric light.
All it will do is delay your demise.

No worries. I'll vote a borrow-n-spend party so I can put it off for the next generation.

Ah... who needs patriotism?

All joking aside, I think people confuse nationalism and patriotism, so they reject both together as if they're the same thing. As a result, Canada now suffers a serious lack of patriotism.

Tecumsehsbones

No worries. I'll vote a borrow-n-spend party so I can put it off for the next generation.
Ah... who needs patriotism?
All joking aside, I think people confuse nationalism and patriotism, so they reject both together as if they're the same thing. As a result, Canada now suffers a serious lack of patriotism.

Oh, **** you. I served in the uniform of my country for 12 years, so take your ersatz patriotism, wad it up until it's all corners, and run it up your back passage.

coldstream
+1
The MCA FTA is a disaster. It was cobbled together to protect Trump's promises to Midwestern dairy farmers and sells out a fundamental protected agricultural sector of Canada. It was put together by Trump's son in law sidekick Jared Kushner and his trade rep. Peter Navarro and is solely geared to American interests.. trade and political.

If the Trudeau government was any smarter they'd realize we are entering a post Free Trade era. It has been a catastrophic failure.. The should be planning to develop polices to rebuild a sovereign, integrated, national, industrial economy. But Justin's just a twit and a fop and is basing his administration of morally degraded, anti-family policies of feminism, multiculturalism.. or the grossly fraudulent pseudo science of AGW, deeply antithetical to the human cause.

The aluminum and steel tariffs are here to stay. That offers up opportunities which our present government is far too dim and weak to see, much less take advantage of.
Last edited by coldstream; Mar 27th, 2019 at 12:46 PM..

White_Unifier

Oh, **** you. I served in the uniform of my country for 12 years, so take your ersatz patriotism, wad it up until it's all corners, and run it up your back passage.

I tried to serve, they kciked me out. But even if I hadn't, are you saying that only a person who serves in the military can be patriotic? Doesn't an economy need bakers and plumbers and bus drivers and cooks and chefs and nurses and physicians and everyone else to make it work? An economy full of soldiers would look like North Korea.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

The MCA FTA is a disaster. It was cobbled together to protect Trump's promises to Midwestern dairy farmers and sells out a fundamental protected agricultural sector of Canada. It was put together by Trump's son in law sidekick Jared Kushner and his trade rep. Peter Navarro and is solely geared to American interests.. trade and political.
If the Trudeau government was any smarter they'd realize we are entering a post Free Trade era. It has been a catastrophic failure.. The should be planning to develop polices to rebuild a sovereign, integrated, national, industrial economy. But Justin's just a twit and a fop and is basing his administration of morally degraded, anti-family policies of feminism, multiculturalism.. or the grossly fraudulent pseudo science of AGW, deeply antithetical to the human cause.
The aluminum and steel tariffs are here to stay. That offers up opportunities which our present government is far too dim and weak to see, much less take advantage of.

Hong Kong and Singapore have been catastrophic failures? North Korea is a protectionist paradise I hear.

Tecumsehsbones

I tried to serve, they kciked me out. But even if I hadn't, are you saying that only a person who serves in the military can be patriotic?

No, just saying that your pretense of patriotism is as bullshit as all your other stupid ideas.

Quote:

Doesn't an economy need bakers and plumbers and bus drivers and cooks and chefs and nurses and physicians and everyone else to make it work? An economy full of soldiers would look like North Korea.

First, your knowledge of North Korea is so near zero as to make no difference.

Second. . . oh, what's the point? Like coldstream, your certainty is inversely proportional to your achievement.

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

But they are never completely free , there is protectionism built into every one .

Tecumsehsbones

But they are never completely free , there is protectionism built into every one .

And you're an idiot. So what?

White_Unifier

Someone's not eaten his Wheaties today?

Tecumsehsbones

Someone's not eaten his Wheaties today?

My peace offering to pgs don't apply to you, Jody.

pgs
Free Thinker

Donít forget pig . Lol .

Retired_Can_Soldier

Just not FREE TRADE with CHINA.

Tecumsehsbones

Donít forget pig . Lol .

Now why would I want to insult a pig?

pgs
Free Thinker

Now why would I want to insult a pig?

I will get back to you on that one.

coldstream

Hong Kong and Singapore have been catastrophic failures? North Korea is a protectionist paradise I hear.

In the first two cases.. the only nation states that have prospered under the Global Trading Paradigm are the small transshipment and banking former colonies who have never had an integrated, sovereign national economy. And even there the wealth is skewed to top end of the hierarchy.. with everyone else caring for their kids or cleaning their houses or driving their cars.

In the case of North Korea real economic nationalism is NOT isolationist. It involves managed fair trade that benefits both partners, taking advantage of the competitive advantages of both.. and limits the gouging done by banks and trading operations.

Hoid

A true statement from pigs.

You get the greenie son.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tar...nday-1.5070659

Freeland basically said today that we won't be ratifying NAFTA unless the steel/aluminum tariffs are removed.

This is something that I said long ago. There is no point in even negotiating with America as long as Trump is in power. They do not negotiate in good faith and we are simply wasting our time trying.

We need to go forward with a case by case policy until he is gone and some sort of normalcy returns. If it ever does.

At the moment America is a write off and frankly they aren't worth worrying about.

DONT WORRY HOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tariffs WILL BE GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Shortly after Our idiot Boy and his loser LIE-berals hit the UNEMPLOYMENT LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

A true statement from pigs.

You get the greenie son.

Really . Great . That means a lot .

Curious Cdn
Conservative
The Feds want to slap more punitive tariffs on the Yanks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...tion-1.5076254

I'm in favour of slapping a 250% tariff on Boeing aircraft, myself.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The Feds want to slap more punitive tariffs on the Yanks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...tion-1.5076254

I'm in favour of slapping a 250% tariff on Boeing aircraft, myself.

Just do it .