BC to Slash Carbon Emissions 60% by 2040

mentalfloss
B.C. government sets greenhouse reduction targets to 60 per cent by 2040

VICTORIA—British Columbia’s government is counting on businesses, communities and residents to help fight climate change over the coming decades, the province’s environment minister said Monday.

George Heyman has introduced legislation that includes new targets for dramatic cuts to carbon pollution, aiming for a 40 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions over the next 12 years.

By 2040, the province wants emission levels to be slashed by 60 per cent, Heyman said.

“We have to make steady progress,” he said. “We have to tell British Columbians what our comprehensive plan is.”

Heyman said the plan will involve reducing emissions in the transportation industry, cutting energy consumption in public, commercial and residential buildings, and exploring new climate-friendly technologies.

“I know that industry is here to work with us,” he said. “We’re working with them in a way that will keep them in business, keep them providing jobs for British Columbians and meeting our climate targets.”

Currently, B.C. has a target of reducing carbon emissions by 80 per cent by 2050. Heyman said the new legislation will not change that goal.

Andrew Weaver, leader of the Green Party, said in a statement that the new targets are a step towards making B.C. a leader in climate action.

“This is a huge opportunity to build a thriving 21st-century economy centred around innovation,” he said.

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...t-by-2040.html

darkbeaver
Republican
+4 / -1
#2  Top Rated Post
That,s great progress which will yield nothing at all as pertains to climate maintenance. The CO2 theory is completely discounted by science and observation. They might as well have enlisted our tax dollars for a new paint job on the moon.

pgs
Free Thinker
+4
It is easy to set targets for twenty years down the road . Ask the federal liberals. They didn’t meet their 2020 targets so moved them to 2030 , problem solved .

Walter
+2
And pigs will fly.

darkbeaver
Republican
+3 / -1
CO2 causes global warming! Bullshjt! This planet is warming! Bullshjt! This planet is entering Solar minimum #25 and nobody is going to enjoy it and most will die of cold and famine and disease because you are not prepared.

Mowich
Conservative
+1
LOL! Utter hubris. Not a chance of them even being in power come the next election.

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
No more resource extraction and no more private automobiles will be a start . That should account for thirty percent or so of reductions .Shut down all airports and marine traffic should start getting us closer .Then we can get to the big emitters like hospitals and schools close them all . We will still have to heat our homes in winter , but as all industry has shut down and no one has any money how can we do that ? Why cut down the forest of course .

darkbeaver
Republican
Club of Rome already encoded in elite law the course of planetary salvation almost fifty years ago when the Population Explosion was first discussed. It was never about saving the planet, it was always about saving the elite. The enemy is humans not some bloody gas that plants love. If anyone thinks those elites will sacrifice anything else but humans to fix thier problem you are very badly mistaken.

petros
+1
Every child with with a new guitar thinks they are a rock star.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

LOL! Utter hubris. Not a chance of them even being in power come the next election.

Well there is that referendum on proportional representation.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

October.

darkbeaver
Republican
Elections won,t solve anything in the complete absence of education to do with the subject matters.

mentalfloss
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

It is easy to set targets for twenty years down the road . Ask the federal liberals. They didn’t meet their 2020 targets so moved them to 2030 , problem solved .

They easily met their targets in the first five years and actually improved their economy because of it.

darkbeaver
Republican
+2
By 2030 that province may have been under several meters of ice for a decade already and there won,t be a goddamn economy Mentalflush.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

They easily met their targets in the first five years and actually improved their economy because of it.

No they didn't.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2

VICTORIA—British Columbia’s government is counting on businesses, communities and residents to help fight climate change over the coming decades, the province’s environment minister said Monday.

George Heyman has introduced legislation that includes new targets for dramatic cuts to carbon pollution, aiming for a 40 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions over the next 12 years.

By 2040, the province wants emission levels to be slashed by 60 per cent, Heyman said.

“We have to make steady progress,” he said. “We have to tell British Columbians what our comprehensive plan is.”

Heyman said the plan will involve reducing emissions in the transportation industry, cutting energy consumption in public, commercial and residential buildings, and exploring new climate-friendly technologies.

“I know that industry is here to work with us,” he said. “We’re working with them in a way that will keep them in business, keep them providing jobs for British Columbians and meeting our climate targets.”

Currently, B.C. has a target of reducing carbon emissions by 80 per cent by 2050. Heyman said the new legislation will not change that goal.

Andrew Weaver, leader of the Green Party, said in a statement that the new targets are a step towards making B.C. a leader in climate action.

“This is a huge opportunity to build a thriving 21st-century economy centred around innovation,” he said.

By destroying our economyn again. Causing working people to go to Alberta and Sask. for jobs.
Horgan and Weaver's idea of innovation is raising taxes. Fortunately they will soon be gone.

petros
Hey man, don't worry.

Kreskin
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

By destroying our economyn again. Causing working people to go to Alberta and Sask. for jobs.
Horgan and Weaver's idea of innovation is raising taxes. Fortunately they will soon be gone.

The BC and Alberta governments are clearcutting jobs. When will people finally realize the NDP is completely useless?

petros
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

The BC and Alberta governments are clearcutting jobs. When will people finally realize the NDP is completely useless?

It took SK 40 years to recover from Tommy Douglas.

Metro Vancouver is 2,877.36 km2 (1,110.95 sq mi) of clearcut.

Regina is a man made forest. Where are my sequestration cheques?

OmegaOm
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

CO2 causes global warming! Bullshjt! This planet is warming! Bullshjt! This planet is entering Solar minimum #25 and nobody is going to enjoy it and most will die of cold and famine and disease because you are not prepared.

You really do not know science at all.

2040 too late. We are toast. doesnt matter what we do, too late all. You are all idiots, didnt study science, sorry all , we all toast cause you all idiots.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

No they didn't.

You are free to believe something wrong.

In the meantime, the record shows that they reduced carbon emissions, increased GDP and had a budget surplus.

Don't be so butt hurt just because Brad Wall put Saskatchewan into deficit.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+3
Before the Oil and resources collapse Sask. was under 2 Billion in deficit and within 2 years of being deficit free, and still the lowest deficit in Canada. I'll take Wall anytime over Wynne

mentalfloss
Yes I'm sure you'll take the cuts which actually hurt you because they rely exclusively on Oil.

darkbeaver
Republican
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaOm View Post

2040 too late. We are toast. doesnt matter what we do, too late all. You are all idiots, didnt study science, sorry all , we all toast cause you all idiots.

That,s an accustion I know you won,t be able to defend simply because you have voiced it. Some of the most decorated scientists today are idiots, Hawking for instance, Einstien as well. What do you think you understand about science, punk? You mentioned toast and matter as if they were different things. You mentioned toast twice, this globe is not getting warmer so the toast thing will not happen this time at least, the facts are that we will actually become frozen treats for large cold tolerant carnivors. Only an idiot would sling that word at an obvious superior intellect in some pathetic hope of scoring points at CCC. You are surly destined to become a frozen lump on the side of some rural road in whatever backward retarded community you have been allowed to live in. Science is not something you know but something you do and you do mainstream bulkthink all day long. You should get out of your box more often and will as soon as you can find the walls.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaOm View Post

Apparently you never studied science either or you would know AGW is bullshit.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It took SK 40 years to recover from Tommy Douglas.

Metro Vancouver is 2,877.36 km2 (1,110.95 sq mi) of clearcut.

Regina is a man made forest. Where are my sequestration cheques?

Oh you mean the man who was voted Canada's greatest Canadian? Do you actually know anything about Douglas BTW? I'm guessing you don't.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Oh you mean the man who was voted Canada's greatest Canadian? Do you actually know anything about Douglas BTW? I'm guessing you don't.

WHo voted him greatest Canadian? I know I didn't.

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I know he wanted to kill downs babies .

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1

Yes I'm sure you'll take the cuts which actually hurt you because they rely exclusively on Oil.

Sask. budget will be balanced this year with a possible surplus depending on Potash sales and pricing, if and when Uranium
pricing comes back we will be in the driver's seat in Canada. Hopefully Ford can take you out of the laughing stock status and look somewhat respectable In Ont.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

WHo voted him greatest Canadian? I know I didn't.

Other Canadians. And I really don't care whether you voted for him or not. You'd probably pick Rob Ford.