Physicist Stephen Hawking Dies Aged 76

B00Mer
+2
#1  Top Rated Post
Physicist Stephen Hawking Dies Aged 76

Professor Stephen Hawking, widely regarded as the greatest physicist of our times died peacefully on Wednesday 14th March, his family told the media. He was 76.

Hawking made his mark in the physics world with his work on black holes and the origins of the universe, which greatly expanded our understanding of the Big Bang. Features of the universe, such as the Hawking Radiation emitted by black holes will be a lasting reminder of his contribution. However, his wider fame rested on a combination of his extraordinary perseverance in the face of motor neuron disease and his authorship of the hugely successful popular science book A Brief History of Time.

Although he never won the Nobel Prize, Hawking was recognized with most other awards in physics for which he was eligible. His impact was even wider in the public imagination. Challenged to name a scientist, until his death, Hawking was usually the only name non-scientists could come up with alongside Einstein, Darwin or Newton.

In doing so Hawking put a human face on science and consequently inspired generations of physicists, many of whom are paying tribute to him now.

Hawking's achievements were more remarkable because most of his work was done after motor neuron disease had made it difficult for him to record his insights as he came to them. Instead, he had to dictate to assistants, or later through slow use of computer aids. Nevertheless, his original diagnosis was much worse, with doctors expecting him to die within two years in 1963. The unusually slow progress of the disease, combined with the development of better medical facilities, helped him survive for decades instead.

The voice synthesizer he used to “speak” with in his later years became iconic, featured in places such as The Simpsons, and becoming for many the symbol both of overcoming adversity, and of the capacity of humanity to understand the universe despite the obstacles we face. His fame was reinforced by his remarkable wit and humor, his compassion for humanity, and warnings about the threats we have made for ourselves in the forms of global warming and artificial intelligence that may turn on us. His life was portrayed in the 2014 film The Theory of Everything, based on a book by his first wife, Jane Hawking. The couple has three surviving children.

All this meant that for many others, his inspiration extended far beyond his achievements in physics.

source: Physicist Stephen Hawking Has Died At 76 | IFLScience

Dixie Cup
Huh - on the radio it said he was 83. Whatever, may he RIP.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

Huh - on the radio it said he was 83. Whatever, may he RIP.

Well, that's what you get for listening to the fake news on the lefty radio.

How do you know you can trust this source? Does Roop have a controlling interest in IFL Science?

Cannuck
Hawking believed in global warming? I guess nobody told him about Taxslave or Petros.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Hawking believed in global warming? I guess nobody told him about Taxslave or Petros.

Oh, they're both a lot smarter than Steven Hawking was. Just ask them.

Anyway, the world is a lesser place today. He was a great and thoughtful part of our culture. 76 was a good age for someone so afflicted.

captain morgan
+1
Brilliant man and never slowed down one bit due to his health condition.

Sad news

Hoid
Of course he believed in global warming.

Anyone who has looked at the evidence understands what is going on.

Danbones
+1
Why didn't he get a nobel prize for his theory again....?

oh yeah....maybe cause it was NEVER PROVED

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Why didn't he get a nobel prize for his theory again....?

What theory would that be?

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Of course he believed in global warming.

Anyone who has looked at the evidence understands what is going on.

Get back to work.....

Cannuck
Are you still upset about finding your wife banging the drywaller. That was 30 years ago. Get over it

justlooking
+2
fitting he died on pi day. RIP

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

fitting he died on pi day. RIP

Einstein and some other guy's birthday.

Hoid
+1
Ignore listers have a lot to say about a scientist who didn't even major in Google.

DaSleeper
+1
Get back to work Waldo.....

bill barilko
I woke up laughing in the middle of the night because I'd just thought up a hilarious troll to post on this thread-all 100% true too.

Cliffy
[youtube]XfcC6FYyL4U[/youtube]

Stephen Hawking Sings Monty Python… Galaxy Song (Music Video)

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans. We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet." - Steven Hawking, a wise guy.

Johnnny
+1
This is a sign your getting old too.

Blackleaf
He was born on 8th January 1942, the 300th anniversary of Galileo's death.

He died on 14th March 2018, the 139th anniversary of Einstein's birth.

HAWKING DIES When did Stephen Hawking die, how old was physicist and what was his life like before his ALS diagnosis?

The physicist became a household name after his book brought the science of the universe to the masses

By Laura Burnip and Sofia Petkar
14th March 2018
The Sun

WORLD renowned physicist Stephen Hawking has died aged 76.

Described as the greatest scientific brain since Albert Einstein, the physicist was considered a medical marvel, having lived for more than half a century with the devastating condition motor neurone disease.

Professor Stephen Hawking defied doctors who gave him two years to live

Who was Stephen Hawking and what was he famous for?

Stephen was born on January 8, 1942, in Oxford - where his parents had decamped from north London for him to be born away from the worst of the wartime bombing raids.

When he was 8, the family moved to St Albans, attending school there before going on to Oxford University.

His dad wanted him to study medicine, and he wanted to study maths, but it wasn't available at University College so he ended up studying Natural Science - being awarded a first.

He went on to Cambridge University to study Cosmology, gaining his PhD and becoming a research fellow and lecturer.

His most notable work was on the basic laws which govern the universe - including theories about the Big Bang and black holes.

The scientist wanted to bring the story of the universe to the masses with his best-selling book A Brief History of Time

In the 1980s he decided he wanted to write a mass-market book about the universe which would be accessible to the general public.

That book was A Brief History of Time - published in 1988 - which made him a household name.

He has since published more books including Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays, The Universe in a Nutshell, The Grand Design and My Brief History.

In 2014 his life story was turned into the film The Theory of Everything starring Eddie Redmayne, who won an Oscar for his performance.

While he was unable to attend the ceremony, Professor Hawking posted a touching message on Facebook to say: "Well done Eddie, I'm very proud of you."

When did Stephen Hawking die?

Professor Stephen Hawking passed away on March 14, 2018, aged 76.

The English physicist died peacefully at his home in Cambridge in the early hours of the morning.

In a statement, his children Lucy, Robert and Tim said: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years.

"His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world.

"He once said, 'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.' We will miss him forever."

Actor Eddie Redmayne won an Oscar for his portrayal of Stephen Hawking in the biopic The Theory of Everything

What was Stephen Hawking's disability?

While studying at Oxford, the young Stephen became increasingly clumsy, falling down the stairs and having trouble rowing.

His speech started to slur and he was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) - a form of motor neurone disease - aged just 21, in 1963.

Doctors gave him a life expectancy of just two years - but incredibly he lived with the condition for more than 50 years.

Some experts even refuse to believe he had ALS as his life span exceeded expectations by such a massive degree.

After a bout of pneumonia resulted in Hawking losing his voice, a fellow scientist created a computer to speak through which he could control using his cheek

The professor used a voice synthesiser since catching pneumonia in 1985 and had to have a tracheotomy which left him unable to speak.

A Cambridge scientist built an incredible device which enabled him to control a computer screen using his cheek for data entry, then have the computer read out what he typed.

Asked about his long life, Hawking said in 2011 he was "lucky" to be a scientist.

“It has certainly helped that I have a job and that I have been looked after so well,” Hawking told the New York Times.

“I am lucky to be working in theoretical physics, one of the few areas in which disability is not a serious handicap.”

Stephen Hawking and his second wife Elaine Mason on their wedding day

What was his work and family life like?

From 1979 to 2009 he held the post of Lucasian Professor at Cambridge University - the chair held by Isaac Newton, who discovered gravity, in 1663.

Until his death, Hawking was able to carry out research, write and deliver lectures.

Most recently he was pictured on a cinema visit in Cambridge to see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

The film stars Felicity Jones, who appeared as his wife in The Theory of Everything - and recently revealed he cheekily asked her for a kiss on set.

He has three children from his marriage to his first wife Jane - Robert, born in May 1967; Lucy, born in November 1970; and Timothy, born April 1979 - and several grandchildren.

Hawking and Jane divorced in 1995 and he married his second wife, his nurse Elaine Mason, the same year but they divorced in 2006.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/255220...story-of-time/

Curious Cdn
Do you have a copy of his book, Blackleaf?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Do you have a copy of his book, Blackleaf?

I've read A Brief History of Time, but it was a library book.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I've read A Brief History of Time, but it was a library book.

So, you don't have a signed copy, then?

Blackleaf

So, you don't have a signed copy, then?

I wish I did. I'd sell it.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I wish I did. I'd sell it.

Think what a copy signed by Steven Hawking might be worth! Boggles the mind, eh?

Blackleaf

Think what a copy signed by Steven Hawking might be worth! Boggles the mind, eh?

It won't boggle the mind as much as much of the contents of the book do (if you know what I mean).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q-NgNvq5e_g

The last set of photos of Stephen Hawking is of him leaving a lavish dinner in Mayfair just before Christmas. It's believed he may have died from complications arising from a chest infection which he contracted every year:

darkbeaver
Hawking discovered nothing, invented nothing except science fiction and was totally contrived and controled by Quackademia. He won,t be missed by real science. His entire life was devoted to crap like black holes and the big bang, both theorys already discarded and proven BS by serious science. He was not a physicist he was a poster boy and a fraud. I have his funny book A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME which was very painfull to read garbage. It was and is crap all the way through.
Last edited by darkbeaver; Mar 17th, 2018 at 02:58 PM..

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Hawking discovered nothing

Apart from Hawking radiation, emitted by black holes; that the Big Bang was rather like the collapse of a black hole in reverse; that a black hole can only increase, never decrease, in size; that spaceships or objects that fall into a black hole may drift into a "baby universe" of their own: a small, self-contained world that branches off from our region of space-time; that the universe is infinite and has no boundaries; that singularities are a common phenomenon throughout space; and that the universe began with a gravitational singularity.

But, other than those, you're right.

His downsides, however, were that he supported Remain in the EU referendum and he once partook in a silly attempted boycott of Israel.

Stephen Hawking's final legacy: Professor submitted research paper TWO WEEKS before he died revealing how we can detect other universes and predicting the end of the world

Hawking and his co-author Thomas Hertog wrote the paper on his deathbed

The research paper by the pair is titled A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation

It details how we may be able to detect other universes using a spaceship

Hawking also predicts that our existence will fade into darkness when the stars run out of energy

By Charlotte Dean For Mailonline
18 March 2018

Stephen Hawking submitted a research paper two weeks before his death

Just two weeks before his death Stephen Hawking submitted a research paper revealing how to detect evidence of a multiverse and predicting the end of our existence.

The multiverse is a theory that our universe is just one of many others out there caused by the Big Bang.

The paper, which was completed on his deathbed, discusses the idea that we could measure other universes using a detector on a spaceship.

If this evidence was discovered during Hawking's lifetime it may have put him in the running for a Nobel Prize - something he was never able to achieve.

Thomas Hertog, who co-authored the paper named A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation, told the Sunday Times: 'He has often been nominated for the Nobel and should have won it. Now he never can.'

A 1983 paper Hawking drew up with James Hartle explains how the universe came into being but the theory also suggested that the Big Bang also created an infinite number of others - each producing their own universe.

This theory of inflation, that the universe expanded exponentially before settling down to slower expansion, was impossible to test.

Hertog claims that he and Hawking wanted to take the idea of a multiverse and turn it into a 'testable scientific framework'.

The paper he co-authored, titled 'A Smooth Exit from Eternal Inflation', details how we may be able to find evidence of a multiverse and predicts the end of the world

However the potentially ground-breaking research also suggests the existence of earth will fade into darkness when the stars run out of energy.

The idea that we will eventually fade into blackness remains controversial with cosmologists, including Professor Neil Turok, director of Canada's Perimeter Institute, who was confused as to why Hawking found the idea interesting.

However on the other hand some scientists have concluded that Hawking's work could be the breakthrough that cosmology needs.

This is largely because it is the first theory that could be tested.

Carlos Frenk, professor of cosmology, agreed that it has previously been impossible to measure other universes.

She said: 'The intriguing idea in Hawking's paper is that [the multiverse] left its imprint on the background radiation permeating our universe and we could measure it with a detector on a spaceship.'

Frenk argues that finding evidence of other universes could completely change our perception of our place in the cosmos.

Read more: Stephen Hawking's final legacy: How we can detect other universes | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Gilgamesh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Hawking discovered nothing, invented nothing except science fiction and was totally contrived and controled by Quackademia. He won,t be missed by real science. His entire life was devoted to crap like black holes and the big bang, both theorys already discarded and proven BS by serious science. He was not a physicist he was a poster boy and a fraud. I have his funny book A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME which was very painfull to read garbage. It was and is crap all the way through.

Possibly the most stupid and inaccurate post I have ever read in my life.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post

Possibly the most stupid and inaccurate post I have ever read in my life.

Your objection has been recorded in the big book of Who Gives a Fukk. If you could elaborate I might eventually agree with you.

The ashes of world-renowned physicist Stephen Hawking will be interred next to the graves of fellow British scientists Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin at Westminster Abbey in London, England.

In a statement released Tuesday, Dean of Westminster John Hall, wrote, "It is entirely fitting that the remains of Professor Stephen Hawking are to be buried in the Abbey, near those of distinguished fellow scientists. Sir Isaac Newton was buried in the Abbey in 1727. Charles Darwin was buried beside Isaac Newton in 1882."

© Photo: newstes.ru
Eureka! Scientists Unveil Isaac Newton’s Recipe for Philosopher’s Stone

"Other famous scientists are buried or memorialised nearby, the most recent burials being those of atomic physicists Ernest Rutherford in 1937 and Joseph John Thomson in 1940. We believe it to be vital that science and religion work together to seek to answer the great questions of the mystery of life and of the universe," he added.

Quote:

The ashes of world-renowned physicist Stephen Hawking will be interred next to the graves of fellow British scientists Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin at Westminster Abbey in London, England.

Stephen Hawkings has been dead for forty years. Into one of his black holes decades ago.

In a statement released Tuesday, Dean of Westminster John Hall, wrote, "It is entirely fitting that the remains of Professor Stephen Hawking are to be buried in the Abbey, near those of distinguished fellow scientists. Sir Isaac Newton was buried in the Abbey in 1727. Charles Darwin was buried beside Isaac Newton in 1882."

© Photo: newstes.ru
Eureka! Scientists Unveil Isaac Newton’s Recipe for Philosopher’s Stone

"Other famous scientists are buried or memorialised nearby, the most recent burials being those of atomic physicists Ernest Rutherford in 1937 and Joseph John Thomson in 1940. We believe it to be vital that science and religion work together to seek to answer the great questions of the mystery of life and of the universe," he added.
Last edited by darkbeaver; Mar 21st, 2018 at 05:31 PM..

spaminator
+2