Video captures Toronto cab strike cyclist

spaminator
Video captures Toronto cab strike cyclist
By Maryam Shah , Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, August 22, 2016 11:50 AM EDT | Updated: Monday, August 22, 2016 05:40 PM EDT
TORONTO - Police are hunting witnesses after video emerged which shows a cab driver swerving and hitting a cyclist last week.
The video shows silver taxi knocking a cyclist — wearing a Favour Delivery shirt — off his bike on Bay St., near Bloor St.
“You’re going to jail! That is assault,” the cyclist is heard saying to a man standing beside the cab in the video.
There was no word on possible charges as police continue probing the mishap.
“We have to interview everybody,” said Const. Clint Stibbe.
Video of the incident shows some lapse in time, he added.
“So what happened during that time? Was there blows, did somebody say anything? These are all the things we need to hear,” Stibbe said.
Police reported a 57-year-old taxi driver was going north in a 2011 Toyota Camry when he hit a 31-year-old man on a bicycle. The cyclist suffered minor injuries.
Police investigate around 1,200 cyclist collisions a year — around 400 of them result in injuries.
Police want to speak with four men — including three cyclists who stopped for the collision — whom they believed witnessed the incident.
The city’s licensing and standards department is also investigating.
“Following the outcome of the (police) investigation, municipal licensing and standards could seek a Toronto licensing tribunal hearing to address the conduct of the driver,” city spokesman Bruce Hawkins said.
Here are past incidents involving cabbies:
•In May 2012, a taxi driver ran over a skateboarder, killing him. He was convicted of manslaughter last fall but was granted bail pending an appeal in March.
•In November 2008, a cab driver reversed into a man who was walking towards his bike, crushing his leg against a pole. The driver was convicted in 2012 of criminal negligence causing bodily harm.
A frame grab from a video posted to YouTube on Aug. 20, 2016 showing a Toronto cab striking cyclist. (YouTube)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH7afFKLlGE
Video captures Toronto cab strike cyclist | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Locutus
+1
need to see/know what happened before this video begins. bike boy looks like he was being a bit of a douche at any rate and pounded the window.

oh well.

Danbones
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
he was letting the driver know
the guy was running him into the side walk

you would have to be a douche to not want to have that happen to you

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Cyclists are brutal and the most dangerous form of vehicle in downtown Toronto these days. I support all initiatives to remove any of them from the street.

Besides, how do we know the cabbie wasn't swerving to miss a squirrel?

Danbones
+1
if the car driver had a beef and had a ball as big as a bb he would have called the guy on to a fist fight
hitting him with a car is as pansy as it gets

i can see why it resonates though

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

he was letting the driver know
the guy was running him into the side walk

you would have to be a douche to not want to have that happen to you

dis ↓

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Cyclists are brutal and the most dangerous form of vehicle in downtown Toronto these days. I support all initiatives to remove any of them from the street.

Blackleaf
I hate cyclists. They're a menace on the roads and yet they think they are never to blame. They routinely go through red lights, yet if an accident occurs because of it it'll always be the motorist's or motorists' fault, never theirs.

personal touch
Big city problems
No concern to me

Post on the "I hate" thread

Danbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

dis ↓

dat--> guess who has the right of way
The rules-of-the-road state that when a motor vehicle driver plans to turn right, they must signal and only make the movement when safe to do so, using due care and attention to avoid a collision. For the turn to be safe, a driver should check for other motor vehicles as well as cyclists and pedestrians who could potentially enter the path of their turn.
On a right turn, who has right of way: Car or bike? - WHEELS.ca

did the pansy signal?

effer did that to me
he'ed have an S-78 diamondback parked up his butt for a bike rack
lol

lone wolf
+1
One Metre rule's gonna bite his butt....

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

One Metre rule's gonna bite his butt....

It's a stupid rule. You pass them and they sneak beside you and pass you at the red light. Then you are supposed to give them 1M again? I give him the same space they squeaked by on. They are obviously comfortable with that distance.

DaSleeper
+1
Danbones is obviously a greenie cyclist........

taxslave
+1
Cyclists have to obey the rules of the road too. That means no sneaking between a car and the curb in traffic.

petros
+1
Why doesn't TO have bike lanes to increase congestion like Vancouver?

taxslave
+1
Cause until recently TO had a mayor with brains.

PoliticalNick
+1
What preceeded the video clip is really irrelevant. The guy intentionally swerved into the cyclist, that constitutes assault with a deadly weapon, assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm or possibly even attempted murder.

taxslave
+1
You sure you watched the same video as the rest of us?

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

You sure you watched the same video as the rest of us?

pretty sure there is only 1 clip on here. Not sure what you call ramming someone with a 1600lb motorized hunk of metal but I call it at least assault with intent.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

pretty sure there is only 1 clip on here. Not sure what you call ramming someone with a 1600lb motorized hunk of metal but I call it at least assault with intent.

SHould have watched the first part of the video where the cyclist comes up on the curb side of the taxi and banks on the car scaring the driver causing him to swerve.

lone wolf
I'd be inclined to swerve away from something scary. Control means different things to different people ... and if the cabbie uses distraction as an alibi, he'll be busted for that too....

Cabbie vs bike courier.... Both of them believe the road belongs to them

PoliticalNick
+1

SHould have watched the first part of the video where the cyclist comes up on the curb side of the taxi and banks on the car scaring the driver causing him to swerve.

So you think it's the 'fight or flight' response and the driver instinctively counter-attacked? Maybe we should send the cyclist to jail for, I don't know,....make something up...lol

bill barilko
Kill The Witch!!!

Kill The Witch!!!

Ron in Regina
+1
I wonder what shenanigans lead up to this, to have the person in the
vehicle in front of this, filming out the back window. It's not a dashcam,
as they don't pan to follow the action.

eh1eh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Obviously wasn't and whatever the bike did before doesn't matter. Assault with a deadly weapon.
Like if someone cuts you off then you ram him with your car. Is that the way you drive?

Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

if the car driver had a beef and had a ball as big as a bb he would have called the guy on to a fist fight
hitting him with a car is as pansy as it gets

i can see why it resonates though

Pansy at least. Could have been a murderer even

But apparently it's ok cuz some bike are bad. What a stupid thread this has become.
Par for the course for Trump supporters.

DaSleeper
+2
I think that was a prepared stunt, The cyclist taps on the window and then watch his hand.....he signals the car driver to come over, at the right moment when the sidewalk is clear of obstructions

FIX

eh1eh
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

I think that was a prepared stunt, The cyclist taps on the window and then watch his hand.....he signals the car driver to come over, at the right moment when the sidewalk is clear of obstructions

FIX

Could be an ad for Flavour Delivery. At this point I wouldn't be surprised.
Everybody wants a viral video. Even if they have to fukk an ugly guy.
Ask Kim Kardashian.

Danbones

there is all kinds of crap alongside the curb, the cyclist has the right to avoid obsticles
and you don't know he wasn't backing the car off from prior provocations

read the legal bit posted above though
(questions of integrity aside )
bike has right of way

personal touch
Cities are responsible for safe bike access,the individual biker is not,
Canadian cities are behind the times,hence
Creation of conflict between rights of access

No one wants to talk about Cities obligations to safe routes for bikes?
Where did everyone go?

spaminator
Cabbie charged after video captures cyclist being hit
By Kevin Connor , Toronto Sun
First posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 08:53 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, August 25, 2016 09:11 PM EDT
TORONTO - Video of a cab driver allegedly swerving and hitting a cyclist has led to one arrest.
On the evening of Aug. 18, officers were called to the Bay and Gerrard Sts. area where an altercation took place between a cyclist and the taxi driver, according to Toronto Police.
Cops said both the cyclist and the taxi driver continued north on Bay after the cab collided with the bike.
The 31-year-old bike delivery man wasn’t seriously injured, police said.
Video of the run-in was posted online on Aug. 20. It showed the cyclist shouting at the cabbie after the collision.
“You’re going to jail! That is assault,” the cyclist is heard saying to a man standing beside the cab in the video.
Police said earlier this week that they were investigating and they were looking for witnesses.
Taxi driver Ali Farkhondehfall, 57, of Thornhill, has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and assault with a weapon.
He is scheduled to appear in Old City Hall court on Oct. 4.
Depending on the outcome of the charges, the city’s municipal and licensing and standards department may hold a hearing into the driver’s conduct.
According to police, there are roughly 400 injuries a year in the city from cyclist collisions on the streets.
Cabbie charged after video captures cyclist being hit | Toronto & GTA | News | T

personal touch
400?
And cities feel no responsibility?