2km-wide asteroid approaching Earth, NASA warns

B00Mer

An asteroid big enough to kill millions of people is on its way to Earth but is expected to brush past, missing by a mere 25 million kilometers – a narrow distance by space standards, NASA said.

The celestial object, called Asteroid 86666 (2000 FL10), was first observed 16 years ago. On Saturday it will pass Earth, one of the biggest asteroids to approach our planet so closely.

The rock’s exact size is unknown, but it could be as wide as 2.6 kilometers, according to estimates. It will zip past at a speed of more than 64,000 kilometers an hour at a distance of about 25 million kilometers – about 67 times further than the moon.

The size of 2000 FL10 makes it large enough to be considered a potentially hazardous object (PHO). If it were to hit our planet, the effect would be devastating. The impact of such a PHO collision would potentially be similar to that of many thousands of atomic bombs blowing up at once.

Source: https://www.rt.com/news/318154-aster...collide-earth/

Hope their mathematicians are accurate in their calculations..

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

An asteroid big enough to kill millions of people is on its way to Earth but is expected to brush past, missing by a mere 25 million kilometers – a narrow distance by space standards, NASA said.

The celestial object, called Asteroid 86666 (2000 FL10), was first observed 16 years ago. On Saturday it will pass Earth, one of the biggest asteroids to approach our planet so closely.

The rock’s exact size is unknown, but it could be as wide as 2.6 kilometers, according to estimates. It will zip past at a speed of more than 64,000 kilometers an hour at a distance of about 25 million kilometers – about 67 times further than the moon.

The size of 2000 FL10 makes it large enough to be considered a potentially hazardous object (PHO). If it were to hit our planet, the effect would be devastating. The impact of such a PHO collision would potentially be similar to that of many thousands of atomic bombs blowing up at once.

Meh, Apophis passed closer than that, actually passing between the moon and Earth. So I'd say the mathematicians have a little wiggle room.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Meh, Apophis passed closer than that, actually passing between the moon and Earth. So I'd say the mathematicians have a little wiggle room.

How big was Adophils? 2km wide? No

spaminator
+1

SLM

You're like sunshine on a cloudy day......always with the uplifting, motivational threads.

darkbeaver
Don't worry the charge equalization would kill us before any collision.

B00Mer
If it hits the earth lets hope it hit some dirt patch like Iraq...

Walter
+1
I'm scared, pass the chips, please.

captain morgan
+1
Hmmmmm, I wonder how many bank transfers the UN/IPCC will require from the West to avert this terrible situation?

AnnaG
Funny. I felt a breeze earlier. There wasn't supposed to be a breeze today.

I wonder if anyone else felt the breeze and actually ducked.
hahah The sky is falling!!

captain morgan
Interesting about the breeze... Actually, this morning when I was having a cup of coffee, I had an uneasy feeling about a coming Armageddon.

I passed it off as maybe having one too many scotches last night, but after reading this, well, I don't know if it was the booze anymore

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Funny. I felt a breeze earlier. There wasn't supposed to be a breeze today.

I wonder if anyone else felt the breeze and actually ducked.
hahah The sky is falling!!

I don't know about the sky falling but it is certainly leaking today.

AnnaG
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I don't know about the sky falling but it is certainly leaking today.

Zeus or Jupiter or Jehova drinking a lot of beers, I guess.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Zeus or Jupiter or Jehova drinking a lot of beers, I guess.

Your imagination is so much better than mine. I thought it was just compensation for the dry summer.
BTW where are those two that were proclaiming a drought?

AnnaG
Dunno. Maybe they were referring to Californyuh

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Interesting about the breeze... Actually, this morning when I was having a cup of coffee, I had an uneasy feeling about a coming Armageddon.

I passed it off as maybe having one too many scotches last night, but after reading this, well, I don't know if it was the booze anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkPhGRQzboE

eh1eh
Boomer is a good right wing sucker. Hey Boomer, I have a giant bank account I just got from some Prince in Nigeria. Give me your banking info and I'll transfer half to you. No catch, I'm just a nice guy.
I need a transfer fee of $265.38 to complete the transaction.
Don't worry, if it doesn't pan out you can shoot me.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

Boomer is a good right wing sucker. Hey Boomer, I have a giant bank account I just got from some Prince in Nigeria. Give me your banking info and I'll transfer half to you. No catch, I'm just a nice guy.
I need a transfer fee of $265.38 to complete the transaction.
Don't worry, if it doesn't pan out you can shoot me.

Hey Troll, tell you're mother I forgot to leave money her dresser, catch her next time .

Jinentonix
+1

How big was Adophils? 2km wide? No

It's not size that matters, it's mass. What's the asteroid's composition? Or to put it another way, what would you rather have fall on you, a beach ball or a 5 pin bowling ball?

spaminator

It's not size that matters, it's mass. What's the asteroid's composition? Or to put it another way, what would you rather have fall on you, a beach ball or a 5 pin bowling ball?

speed is also a factor.

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

speed is also a factor.

That too.

AnnaG
+1
And alcohol content, too.

Oh, sorry. That's car crash, not asteroid crash. Pardon?

MHz

Would an iron rich 'rock' shatter on impact because iron is very brittle the colder it gets starting at -40? (deep space is -300)

AnnaG
Most do shatter, but it's usually from being very cold and then being heated extremely fast by friction when hitting the atmosphere. It also matters if there is water/ice encapsulated inside the rock.

MHz
Assuming the atmosphere is 100 miles deep, how long is the rock (with no water in it) in the atmosphere? It should get red and stay together If I toss an egg through a flame how much distance is needed before it is hard-boiled? If it hit the Canadian Shield It should be a smaller hole because the backside would still be at -300.

Blackleaf
This three-quarter-of-a-mile diameter crater in Arizona was formed 50,000 years ago by a nickel-iron object only around 160ft across. However, it was travelling at 28,600 mph (41 feet per second) when it impacted.

At the time, the area was open grassland dotted with woodlands inhabited by woolly mammoths and giant ground sloths.

DaSleeper
+3 / -1
#27  Top Rated Post
What?????? It didn't land in Britain????? what a shame.......something you can't Bulshďte-Brag about....

Blackleaf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

What?????? It didn't land in Britain????? what a shame.......something you can't Bulshďte-Brag about....

The biggest-known meteor crater in Britain struck the ground near the present-day town of Ullapool in north west Scotland 1.2 BILLION years ago. The crater is suspected to lie under the Minch, the waterway that separates the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides from the north-west Highlands of Scotland.

The massive impact would have melted rocks and thrown up an enormous cloud of vapour that scattered material over a large part of the region around Ullapool. The crater was rapidly buried by sandstone which helped to preserve the evidence. It has been estimated that the impact would have created a blast with the force of 145,000 megatons and that the shock wave would have created winds of 261mph (383 feet per second) as far away as the site of modern Aberdeen. Ejected material from the meteorite strike is scattered over an area about 31 miles across.

There is also an impact crater under the North Sea off the coast of Britain. It is called the Silverpit Crater and was formed between 74 and 45 million years ago. The object is thought to have been 393 feet across with a mass of 2 million tons.

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

This three-quarter-of-a-mile diameter crater in Arizona was formed 50,000 years ago by a nickel-iron object only around 160ft across. However, it was travelling at 28,600 mph (41 feet per second) when it impacted.

At the time, the area was open grassland dotted with woodlands inhabited by woolly mammoths and giant ground sloths.

lived in Arizona most of my life and never had the desire to pay money to see a hole in the ground. Been close though drove through winslow many a time.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Assuming the atmosphere is 100 miles deep, how long is the rock (with no water in it) in the atmosphere?

Depends upon the speed and the angle of trajectory (or atmospheric entry).
Quote:

It should get red and stay together

What should?
Quote:

If I toss an egg through a flame how much distance is needed before it is hard-boiled?

Not sure about distance, but it would depend upon the intensity of heat as well.
Quote:

If it hit the Canadian Shield It should be a smaller hole because the backside would still be at -300.

Wut?

About these nice round holes, not every asteroid or meteorite lands perpendicular to the Earth's surface. =)