Petition opposing memorial to victims of Communism continues to grow


SLM
#1
Petition opposing memorial to victims of Communism continues to grow


Artist’s rendering of the Memorial to the Victims of Communism to be built near the Supreme Court of Canada. (ABSTRAKT Studio Architecture)


CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, March 13, 2015 1:09PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, March 13, 2015 1:12PM EDT
An online petition protesting the location of a planned memorial to the victims of Communism has earned more than 1,500 signatures in the last three weeks and continues to grow.
The Move the Memorial petition was launched in late February by Kayla Carman, an anthropology student at the University of Ottawa. Her petition argues that the memorial's proposed site on land next to the Supreme Court of Canada building is "entirely inappropriate."
The memorial is meant to commemorate the 100 million people who have died under communist regimes. But the petition says the memorial "essentially demonizes (either rightly or wrongly) a particular socioeconomic system."
It says placing it next to the Supreme Court "undermines the very foundation of that institution, which is its independence and impartiality."
The federal government announced in 2012 it was donating 5,000 square-metres of land to the memorial. It then offered $1.5 million in the summer of 2013 to a private charity named Tribute to Liberty, to build the memorial.
Ottawa's mayor, Jim Watson, opposes the memorial's planned location as well. He says that not only does the memorial not fit the site, he doesn't like the planned design.
The memorial would feature a series of triangular concrete rows rising 14 metres high in some spots. Tribute to Liberty says the design is meant to evoke a “fold of memory” with over 100 million “memory squares” covering the folds, each representing an individual victim.
Watson says the stark design would "take away from the beauty" of the Supreme Court building.
"I think it is a blight on that particular site," he told CTV Ottawa in February.
Even Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin has weighed in, saying the concrete structure would convey a sense of bleakness in a space dedicated to the administration of justice.
The land where the monument is due to be built was set aside 100 years ago for a federal court building, as part of the judicial precinct. But in 2012, the federal government donated the land to Tribute to Liberty.
The memorial is expected to cost $4 million to build. To date, $2.6 million has been raised through private and government funding.
The National Capital Commission will be charge of the memorial's construction, due to begin in the fall.
Once completed, ownership and maintenance of the monument will be transferred to Public Works and Government Services Canada.


Petition opposing memorial to victims of Communism continues to grow | CTV News


Yay to have a memorial, nay to that monstrosity.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#2
Be a good place to land shuttlecraft.
 
SLM
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Be a good place to land shuttlecraft.

And crush it you mean? Could make a solid plan B, plan A of course being "don't make the damned thing so fugly!"
 
Tecumsehsbones
#4
I think they ought to put it up right across from the Victims of Capitalism Memorial, just down the street from the Victims of Feudalism Memorial. Maybe over by the Victims of Mixed Social Welfarism Memorial.
 
Cannuck
+2
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I think they ought to put it up right across from the Victims of Capitalism Memorial, just down the street from the Victims of Feudalism Memorial. Maybe over by the Victims of Mixed Social Welfarism Memorial.

Works for me but let's not forget victims of homeopathic medicine, big pharma, gopher holes, ladders....
 
Tecumsehsbones
#6
That's what we need a Victims of Auto-Erotic Asphyxiation Memorial!

Put THAT puppy in front of the Supreme Court!
 
petros
#7
Wicked idea! Where do we sign?


 
Tecumsehsbones
#8
At the bottom of a cheque, of course.
 
Ludlow
#9
Lots of compound angles. Builders did a good job.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

Lots of compound angles. Builders did a good job.

For values of "builders" = CGI artists. So far the memorial's about as real as Blackleaf's Royal Navy.
 
gore0bsessed
#11
what kind of garbage idea is this to have this type of memorial, and so very ironic.
 
WLDB
#12
Most arent opposing the memorial but the location.
 
SLM
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Most arent opposing the memorial but the location.

I think I would too. It's really, really fugly.

It's hard to tell from the artist's rendering because, as nice as that area of Ottawa is it's never really that nice, but is that supposed to be on the east side of SCC? The street we're seeing in the drawing being Wellington?
 
DaSleeper
+2
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Most arent opposing the memorial but the location.

Good of you to point this out for the reading impaired, which so far seem quite numerous.
 
tay
+1
#15
Must be a sad day in CONservative land......


The commission that deals with federal land use for Canada’s Capital Region is going along with the Heritage minister in moving the controversial Victims of Communism memorial away from the Supreme Court.

The National Capital Commission revoked its original approval, issued several years ago, for the contentious location at a public meeting today. That plot of land will now be used as a park.

Heritage Minister Melanie Joly announced the memorial would be moved to another location down the street in late December this year, calling the location chosen by the former Harper government “too political” and “divisive.” She said the NCC would have to sign off on the decision to change the location.

The former government’s plans to locate the memorial on a prime plot of land next to the Supreme Court drew protests from a number of actors, including the City of Ottawa and, notably, Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin herself, who called the design too bleak and brutal to place next to the Court building.

The monument will move to the Garden of Provinces and Territories — the location originally chosen for the monument.

Communism memorial site next to Supreme Court officially nixed
 
petros
+1
#16
Quote:

Must be a sad day in CONservative land......

Wow, moving down the street is such a heartbreaker. Boohoo, how will I ever survive the night?
 
CDNBear
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Wow, moving down the street is such a heartbreaker. Boohoo, how will I ever survive the night?

The projection is strong the mentally challenged left.
 
petros
+1
#18
It's 04:42, I still might die.
 
Walter
+1
#19
Fascism And Communism
https://www.dailywire.com/news/25006...ter-e-williams
 
HarperCons
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Petition opposing memorial to victims of Communism continues to grow


Artist’s rendering of the Memorial to the Victims of Communism to be built near the Supreme Court of Canada. (ABSTRAKT Studio Architecture)


CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, March 13, 2015 1:09PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, March 13, 2015 1:12PM EDT
An online petition protesting the location of a planned memorial to the victims of Communism has earned more than 1,500 signatures in the last three weeks and continues to grow.
The Move the Memorial petition was launched in late February by Kayla Carman, an anthropology student at the University of Ottawa. Her petition argues that the memorial's proposed site on land next to the Supreme Court of Canada building is "entirely inappropriate."
The memorial is meant to commemorate the 100 million people who have died under communist regimes. But the petition says the memorial "essentially demonizes (either rightly or wrongly) a particular socioeconomic system."
It says placing it next to the Supreme Court "undermines the very foundation of that institution, which is its independence and impartiality."
The federal government announced in 2012 it was donating 5,000 square-metres of land to the memorial. It then offered $1.5 million in the summer of 2013 to a private charity named Tribute to Liberty, to build the memorial.
Ottawa's mayor, Jim Watson, opposes the memorial's planned location as well. He says that not only does the memorial not fit the site, he doesn't like the planned design.
The memorial would feature a series of triangular concrete rows rising 14 metres high in some spots. Tribute to Liberty says the design is meant to evoke a “fold of memory” with over 100 million “memory squares” covering the folds, each representing an individual victim.
Watson says the stark design would "take away from the beauty" of the Supreme Court building.
"I think it is a blight on that particular site," he told CTV Ottawa in February.
Even Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin has weighed in, saying the concrete structure would convey a sense of bleakness in a space dedicated to the administration of justice.
The land where the monument is due to be built was set aside 100 years ago for a federal court building, as part of the judicial precinct. But in 2012, the federal government donated the land to Tribute to Liberty.
The memorial is expected to cost $4 million to build. To date, $2.6 million has been raised through private and government funding.
The National Capital Commission will be charge of the memorial's construction, due to begin in the fall.
Once completed, ownership and maintenance of the monument will be transferred to Public Works and Government Services Canada.


Petition opposing memorial to victims of Communism continues to grow | CTV News


Yay to have a memorial, nay to that monstrosity.

you do realize is fascist groups funding this trash right?
 
Curious Cdn
#21
I don't oppose the memorial but I do oppose having it in the middle of Ottawa, like that. How bout building it in Kamsack, Saskatchewan?
 
DaSleeper
+1
#22
Your cornflakes tasting funny this morning again?
 
avro25
+1
#23
Do we have a memorial to victims of capitalism?
 
Cannuck
#24
How many people have died trying to flee capitalist societies, trying to make it to communist ones?

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Wow, moving down the street is such a heartbreaker. Boohoo, how will I ever survive the night?

Tay was referring to conservatives, not you
 
Sorrow
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by avro25 View Post

Do we have a memorial to victims of capitalism?

The United States invested in capitalist society in 1930-1940. Before it was United Kingdom and after that it was Canada and Sweden in the West.
 
Jinentonix
+2
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by avro25 View Post

Do we have a memorial to victims of capitalism?

Here's a fun idea. Take a look at Japan and China since the end of WW2 and tell me who's better off. China or Japan? Japan is probably the most technologically advanced country on the planet. All China does is copy other people's shit and they don't even do that very well.

Capitalism is like any other system. A runaway version of it isn't good for anyone. Even the ones at the top will ultimately pay the price and that just may be the ultimate price as history has amply demonstrated in the past.
But capitalism also spurs innovation. Socialism inhibits innovation and too much socialism can pretty much snuff it out.

Every form of govt, every economic system is inherently flawed because humans are the ones who run that shit. Look at communism, on paper it's probably the purest form of govt and it does work, on a small scale. Imposing it on an entire population doesn't work unless everyone is willingly on the same page. Plus, if you're imposing it on an entire population, then you have a govt controlling shit which is NOT communism. And if there's a govt, there are people running it. And unless those people are even a bit altruistic, the system, regardless of what kind it is, is doomed to fail.
 
avro25
-1
#27
Japan is bankrupt.
 
Hoid
+1 / -1
#28
the international victims of communism sounds less like a monument to the victims and more like a monument to non communists.

victims of the Romans, victims of the Crown, victims of the Quran, victims of the Church, victims of capitalism, victims of fascism , victims of Telus.

Quote: Originally Posted by avro25 View Post

Japan is bankrupt.

too big to fail
 
avro25
#29
Indeed....to both comments.

Well said.
 
coldstream
#30
Quote:

Ottawa's mayor, Jim Watson, opposes the memorial's planned location as well. He says that not only does the memorial not fit the site, he doesn't like the planned design

I see his point. The thing looks gawd awful, incomprehensible and doesn't fit with anything on the site.
 

Similar Threads

0
Memorial for Air India victims unveiled
by CBC News | Jun 23rd, 2007