Shame on the Kenora Legion

tay
+1 / -1
The Royal Canadian Legion in Kenora, Ont., accepted the resignation of its chaplain on Monday, after some members and the local Conservative MP complained her remarks about Veterans Affairs and Afghanistan War veterans at a Remembrance Day service were too political.

During the Nov. 11 legion service, Rev. Sandra Tankard spoke out about concerns that veterans who fought in Afghanistan are not getting proper care, and then talked about cuts to Veterans Affairs.

"Canadians have become lulled into thinking that our Afghan vets have received similar support to that received by vets in earlier conflicts, and that is not the case," Tankard said in an email to CBC News. "Further, it is the 'job' of the chaplain to stand with the suffering. PTSD [post-traumatic stress disorder] is a sort of life-long sacrifice."

Her comments were "deemed to be 'inappropriately political'," Tankard added.

But the president of the legion said it was Tankard's words about how she would vote that members felt were poorly chosen, and poorly timed.

"She felt that it was important to say that we have to continue supporting our veterans, which the legion totally concurs with, but the members' concerns were: wrong place, wrong time," said Jerry Lava.

After the Remembrance Day service, Tankard said local Conservative MP Greg Rickford approached her directly and expressed his "displeasure" about her remarks.

Rickford declined CBC's request for a comment.

Tankard said she wrote a letter of apology to Rickford and offered her resignation as chaplain after she was told some legion members felt she had "embarrassed the legion."

Lava said once Tankard offered her resignation, protocols needed to be followed and legion members voted largely in favour of accepting it at a meeting Monday night.

"First, I wish it didn't happen," Lava said. "Second, it seems to have been blown out of proportion. If she would have said it the next day, or would have said it at our meeting last night, I don't believe there would have been any offence taken to it because it's something that is debatable."

But the president of the Canadian Veterans Advocacy group supports Tankard speaking out, especially on November 11.

"Usually there is a mandated level of decorum that is provided during Remembrance Day," Michael Blais said. "But I certainly sympathize with [Tankard] and understand her frustration and frankly feel that it is appropriate that she did speak out.

"People should rally behind the wounded not against those who are the messengers of the wounded's plight."

Tankard said she was "disappointed" her resignation had been accepted by the legion. But she added that local clergy members are offering support and happy that she'll have more time for her other work in the community, including hospital and prison visits.

When asked whether there is a lesson for others in her Remembrance Day experience, Tankard said "perhaps it is that the freedoms we have to speak are not necessarily as vibrant as they once were."

here is her speech

Rev. Sandra Tankard resigns after legion remarks about veterans - Thunder Bay - CBC News

Tecumsehsbones
Crucify the bitch!

Locutus
https://www.facebook.com/CanadianLeg...43267419084106

Cannuck
Shame on the Legion? Shame on Sandra

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Shame on the Legion? Shame on Sandra

How dare she, as a chaplain in the Legion, stand up for veterans!

Cannuck
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

How dare she, as a chaplain in the Legion, stand up for veterans!

The issue is not whether or not she stood up for veteran. The issue is that it was an inappropriate time and place.

Tecumsehsbones
+4
#7  Top Rated Post

The issue is not whether or not she stood up for veteran. The issue is that it was an inappropriate time and place.

Yes, Remembrance Day is the wrong time to express concern for veterans.

Cannuck
+1

Yes, Remembrance Day is the wrong time to express concern for veterans.

It's the wrong time for political bull****. I understand you disagree. Go join the legion if you can and change it

taxslave
+2
If she had just had someone read over her speech first this would not have happened. Right idea, wrong time.

Tecumsehsbones
+2

It's the wrong time for political bull****. I understand you disagree. Go join the legion if you can and change it

No, I take it all back. You're right. Remembrance Day is a day to for hollow symboism. The right time to advocate for veterans is when nobody's listening.

Cannuck

No, I take it all back. You're right. Remembrance Day is a day to for hollow symboism. The right time to advocate for veterans is when nobody's listening.

Clearly the Legion disagrees with you.

lone wolf
+3 / -1
It's politically incorrect to call a spade a spade, a jerk a jerk and Fantino a fathead

Colpy
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

It's politically incorrect to call a spade a spade, a jerk a jerk and Fantino a fathead

It is politically incorrect to call Fantino a "Fathead" because calling Fantino a "Fathead" is an insult to fatheads everywhere.

Seriously.

That said, a speech on Remembrance Day is no time to get down to party politics.

IMHO she was doing fine as she obliquely spoke of the poor treatment of veterans by the gov't, but the second she mentioned a political party, she had stepped over into political campaigning............and that is unacceptable.

lone wolf
+2
I suppose it's just as wrong to use a Legion hall for campaign speeches, party parties and ballot boxes. The fact the good chaplain's speech ruffled some Tory feathers indicates her round was too close to the mark for comfort.

That being said, one must remain apolitical....

Cannuck
+2

....the good chaplain's speech ruffled some Tory feathers...

That's got nothing to do with it. I'm not a Tory supporter and don't take any issue with what she said. It was still an inappropriate time and place.

Corduroy
+3 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

It is politically incorrect to call Fantino a "Fathead" because calling Fantino a "Fathead" is an insult to fatheads everywhere.

Seriously.

That said, a speech on Remembrance Day is no time to get down to party politics.

IMHO she was doing fine as she obliquely spoke of the poor treatment of veterans by the gov't, but the second she mentioned a political party, she had stepped over into political campaigning............and that is unacceptable.

The government's treatment of veterans is unacceptable.

Neutrality is a political position. If you pretend a problem doesn't exist or deliberately avoid considering its causes you are supporting the problem and the people responsible for it. The Conservative party is responsible for the poor treatment of veterans, and voters are responsible for putting them into power. Denying this isn't de-politicizing the issue. It's allowing the government and its supporters (YOU) to avoid responsibility for what they've done.

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Neutrality is a political position. If you pretend a problem doesn't exist or deliberately avoid considering its causes you are supporting the problem and the people responsible for it. The Conservative party is responsible for the poor treatment of veterans, and voters are responsible for putting them into power. Denying this isn't de-politicizing the issue. It's allowing the government and its supporters (YOU) to avoid responsibility for what they've done.

No one was asking her to lay off the gov't treatment of veterans....or at least I was not.

And I did not hear her speech.

However, the OP would lead you to believe she was encouraging people to vote a certain way, in reality campaigning for a political party.

That is way over the line. Ceremonies like this are supposed to be non-partisan.....and how many veterans in the crowd do you think are also Conservatives? Quite a few, I would guess. Do you think they wish to be lectured on politics at a place and on a day set aside to remember the sacrifice of their brothers-in-arms?

BTW (and this is NOT an excuse for the Conservatives) mistreatment of veterans in a national sport on Parliament Hill, no matter who is in power.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

No one was asking her to lay off the gov't treatment of veterans....or at least I was not.

And I did not hear her speech.

It's in the link. Here's a crazy idea, how bout you inform yourself before you spout off?

Nah, that's just crazy talk!

lone wolf
+1

...Do you think they wish to be lectured on politics at a place and on a day set aside to remember the sacrifice of their brothers-in-arms?

BTW (and this is NOT an excuse for the Conservatives) mistreatment of veterans in a national sport on Parliament Hill, no matter who is in power.

A lecture on politics is part of rememberance considering war is a result of politics and treatment of the disabled revolves around politics - Lest We Forget

Tecumsehsbones
+1

A lecture on politics is part of rememberance considering war is a result of politics and treatment of the disabled revolves around politics - Lest We Forget

No, no! Ignore the legless, homeless, jobless, hopeless man in the corner! All hail the heroes of Vimy Ridge!

lone wolf
+1

No, no! Ignore the legless, homeless, jobless, hopeless man in the corner! All hail the heroes of Vimy Ridge!

The saddest part is, too many people live the mantra

Cannuck

Everything is a result of politics. Using your silly argument, A preacher at a funeral could start yabbering on about politics because the Guy is being buried at a municipal cemetery. You can try and justify it anyway you want. It was still inappropriate

lone wolf
+1

Everything is a result of politics. Using your silly argument, A preacher at a funeral could start yabbering on about politics because the Guy is being buried at a municipal cemetery. You can try and justify it anyway you want. It was still inappropriate

With an argument like that, you're almost mature enough for politics.

...That being said, one must remain apolitical....

You're trolling the choir....

Tecumsehsbones

The saddest part is, too many people live the mantra

Yep.

Bushwackers Band - And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda - YouTube

Dropkick Murphys - The Green Fields of France - YouTube

Corduroy
+2

That is way over the line. Ceremonies like this are supposed to be non-partisan.....and how many veterans in the crowd do you think are also Conservatives? Quite a few, I would guess. Do you think they wish to be lectured on politics at a place and on a day set aside to remember the sacrifice of their brothers-in-arms?

Do you really think Remembrance Day is non-partisan? The Conservative party uses militarism to gain votes. They **** over vets every other day of the day and then show up at Remembrance Day ceremonies to bask in militaristic glory and pretend they care. For politicians, Remembrance Day is a photo-op. If it weren't they would actually do something meaningful during the rest of year.

Locutus
can't see anything wrong with this other than too many exclamation marks :

REMEMBRANCE DAY: Nov. 11, 2014

Each one of us, and many others across the country and around the world, are wearing the Poppy of Remembrance today.

Because of the recent deaths of two Canadian soldiers, Cirillo and Vincent, And because this is the centenary of the beginning of the Great War (which also became known as the First World War), most of us are more attentive to remembrance this year than perhaps we have been in years past.

So what, you might ask, have we forgotten?

Certainly not the SACRIFICE made by those who laid down their lives for King and Country;
Certainly not the COURAGE of our men and women at-arms.

Certainly not the TRAINING and DISCIPLINE that our Canadian Troops have brought to Policing or Peacekeeping in Korea, Cyprus, and other hotspots where they have been called as part of United Nations and NATO efforts.

And most recently we have not forgotten to honour those who died in the Afghanistan conflict, who were remembered as their bodies travelled along Hwy 401 from CFB Trenton to Toronto – the “Highway of Heroes”.

NO, we have not forgotten to honour the individuals who paid the ultimate price!

But we HAVE largely forgotten to honour that which they have won for us:

Our “rights” to freedom of religion: to choose not only HOW we worship Our Higher Power (and what we choose to name that Power), or, even if we choose NOT!

Our “rights” to freedom of assembly: that we might gather together to pursue personal, professional, business, or community actions for the good of society.

Our “rights” to vote: to choose freely our representatives in local councils, in Provincial and Federal parliaments.

Our “rights” to freedom of speech: To be heard by our peers and by our leaders, even if we do not agree with them, perhaps especially if we don’t!

Canada’s continued participation in the quest for Peace-and-Justice during the past 70 years has largely fallen upon the shoulders of the members of our Armed Forces.

Significantly VOLUNTEER, not conscripted!

The nature of these conflicts has changed, and those men and women, too, have paid a price, not only in the deaths of their comrades, in the field, but also in wounds to body, mind and spirit.

Physical wounds are visible, and so can be treated. Canada’s health system has provided excellent physiotherapy, and prosthetics to injured veterans.

Wounds to mind and spirit are much harder to see and much more difficult to remedy.

I for one, could not finish reading Romeo Dallaire’s memoir Shake hands with the Devil, and even today as a respected member of our Senate, he continues to struggle with PTSD.

For too many others, the battle with PTSD has ended only with suicide.

James Dugan noted on Sunday in his Sermon that suicides of Afghanistan vets now exceed the number of battle fatalities.
Our Government has continued to cut funding to the Ministry of Veteran’s Affairs, including removing Service Offices.
Like many other members of the Royal Canadian Legion, I claim my right to dissent against this action, both with my voice and a letter to my MP and with the promise of my vote to the party that would restore that funding to the people and programs it has supported!
I am o immeasurably thankful to those who have served to keep Canada free, and Canadians safe: the men and women of our Army, Navy and Airforce, as well as our Coast Guard, and Police and Fire Departments, indeed, all those whose work for us requires duty and discipline.

I invite you to add thanksgiving to your solemn REMEMBRANCE this day.

Let us leave this time and place today, knowing again WHY we honour these men and women.

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

If she had just had someone read over her speech first this would not have happened. Right idea, wrong time.

Remembrance Day is not for politics or grinding axes. She was wrong.

tay
+2 / -1

Thank you...................

For a government that frequently and loudly proclaims its veneration of our military, the Harperites have a strange way of showing the love..........

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Remembrance Day is not for politics or grinding axes. She was wrong.

the speech I posted is just fine.

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Couldn't have been said better !