Slim Whitman Dead at 90

Locutus
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
Yeah, I know. Anyway...

Slim Whitman, one of country music's most unusual artists, died today in Orange Park, Florida, of heart failure, Billboard reports. He was 90. Whitman, born Ottis Dewey Whitman, Jr., and his high-flying falsetto and yodeling prowess intrigued fans for decades, helping him to sell millions of records in his career.

Whitman was born in Tampa, Florida, but didn't pursue music professionally until he returned from serving in the Navy during World War II. He kicked off his career with the Variety Rhythm Boys, and was heard by future Elvis Presley manager Tom Parker. With the help of Parker, Whitman landed a record deal with RCA Victor and released his first single in 1948. The singer found his first big success in 1952, landing Top 10 hits with songs like "Indian Love Call" and "Keep It a Secret."

Read more: Slim Whitman Dead; Yodeling Country Singer Was 90 | Music News | Rolling Stone

B00Mer
Holly crap CC is turning into the obituaries today

JLM
+1
The end of an era. A beautiful and distinctive voice. One of his hits that comes to mind is "You You You". R.I.P. Slim

Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Holly crap CC is turning into the obituaries today

I've noticed that happens on days when people die!
Last edited by JLM; Jun 19th, 2013 at 10:17 PM..

talloola
+1
yep, he was pretty good back then.

our dog sang along with him when he yodelled.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I've noticed that happens on days when people die!

yeah, but way to many folks seem to be dying, movie starts, singers,and so on .. the lucky ones, no more taxes to pay.