Canada Revenue Agency taking biggest hit in latest set of public service job cuts

Locutus
OTTAWA — The fourth wave of affected notices being issued Wednesday to thousands of public servants across Canada will hit the tax agency hard along with science and habitat management programs in the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, says one large union.
Gary Corbett, president of the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada (PIPSC), said he expects more than 1,000 notices will be delivered to his members in a dozen or more departments across the country.

With this wave of notices, more than 4,400 of his union’s membership have received notices that their jobs are disappearing or been put on alert that their jobs would be affected by the $5.2-billion annual spending cuts down the road.
The giant Public Service Alliance of Canada, the largest of the unions, is also braced for “thousands of notices” to be sent to their members.

more

Canada Revenue Agency taking biggest hit in latest set of public service job cuts | News | National Post

u mad Gary?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
What a shame. The CRA is certainly the one agency which certainly benifits from the most public sympathy.

earth_as_one
+2
The CRA is the Federal government's equivalent of accounts receivable.

Notices will be going to 400 auditors in the areas of criminal investigations, special enforcement and voluntary disclosure programs.

Less oversight means more tax cheaters. I can't see how this cut improves the government's financial situation.

lone wolf
Now they'll just point fingers and you get to prove your case ... to some pee'd-off bureaucrat

captain morgan
+4
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

Less oversight means more tax cheaters. I can't see how this cut improves the government's financial situation.

Here's a thought.... Simplify the tax code and reduce the overlapping burden(s). Fewer people will have incentive to cheat

Locutus
+2
But our poor union brothers...

relic
Something like that might make sense,therefore will not interest steve or any of his bobbing heads.

Vancouverite
Hmmm, I would have thought the CRA was a cash cow, so they would want to increase the number of workers. Same for, say, those who work at investment immigration.

wizard
... hopefully they'll lay off some of the loons working in the cra criminal warfare division ...

... canada revenue agency employs people for the sole purpose of engaging in hardcore criminal activity which includes bank and brokerage account robberies, stalking and harassment ...

... some of them should be thrown in jail ...

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by Vancouverite View Post

Hmmm, I would have thought the CRA was a cash cow, so they would want to increase the number of workers. Same for, say, those who work at investment immigration.

It has been shown time after time that increasing auditors increases monies for the Crown.

lone wolf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by wizard View Post

... canada revenue agency employs people for the sole purpose of engaging in hardcore criminal activity which includes bank and brokerage account robberies, stalking and harassment ...

Careful... Survivors may have a mad on and declare audit season on you....

Goober

... hopefully they'll lay off some of the loons working in the cra criminal warfare division ...

... some of them should be thrown in jail ...

Do you have a Criminal Record- Or have you received a Pardon?

wizard
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Careful... Survivors may have a mad on and declare audit season on you....

... they already did, that's why i know how lawless they are ...

... these cra folks are so vicious they'll go after YOUR PARENTS for money they say you owe them. then after they've robbed you blind they'll tell you you don't actually owe them anything ...

Goober

... these cra folks are so vicious they'll go after YOUR PARENTS for money they say you owe them. then after they've robbed you blind they'll tell you you don't actually owe them anything ...

lone wolf

Oh, they can be a conniving lot ... but I have yet to meet the bureaucrat who can admit wrong-doing without an Order from Above to do so....

wizard
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

... please explain why you are asking me to disclose this personal information to you?

Goober
+1

... please explain why you are asking me to disclose this personal information to you?

Because we all love each other here.

wizard

Because we all love each other here.

... it's an inappropriate question and not relevant to the topic ...

Goober
+1

It goes to motive.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+4

It goes to motive.

Objection overruled. I will allow the question.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

But our poor union brothers...

I believe that should be in bright purple..

earth_as_one
+2

this is a forum for debate, not confessions. Feel free to say or not say what you like as long as you follow forum rules.

jjaycee98
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

The CRA is the Federal government's equivalent of accounts receivable.

Notices will be going to 400 auditors in the areas of criminal investigations, special enforcement and voluntary disclosure programs.

The feds do not require people for this. All thanks to the world of Computers and smart Programmers, humanoids are of less and less value.

At present, in Canada, you have a choice of how to receive payments from the Government. Look for a change-the same as is happening in the USA. By 2013 Americans will be required to either have a Bank account to deposit funds in to, or a Mastercard to which Receipients will receive a Credit. That eliminates a lot of Personel.

Reviews of Tax returns take only a reference word to check millions of tax files for certain Information. Everyone knows how great Google, or Firefox, or Ask is to quickly find information on the Internet. Why would it be different on Government computers that have access to otherwise private information?

As a Tax Preparer business, I have seen many instances over a period of 30 years where the only way CRA could know something is by the trading of information between Provincial & Federal Agencies. Also, there are always people who will report wrong doing; to give them a heads up. Then they just go to their Computer Main Frame.

There is less of the Auditors sent into the field lately and more of just a request for all files to be sent to the Local Office. The advantage of this is that they can immediately request the corresponding information from everyone else that appears in those files or search their Computers for links.