Tony Clement apologizes for calling 15-year-old a jackass

mentalfloss
Tony Clement apologizes for insulting 15-year-old

Treasury Board President Tony Clement apologized for calling a 15-year-old Parry Sound, Ont. boy a "jack ass" on Twitter after getting into an online spat over a spelling mistake on the social media site.

Keith Pettinger, a student at Parry Sound High School, sent a message to Clement on Saturday evening after he wrote, "Coach's Corner gave me a lot to think about tonite."

Pettinger wrote: "@TonyclementCPC would you like to come to Parry Sound High School on Monday with me and learn how to tonight properly?"

He later asked "if you can't spell how can you run Canada's treasury?"

In a private message sent on Sunday, Clement shot back at Pettinger's own apparent spelling mistakes before issuing the insult.

"Ha ha ur fnny," Clement wrote, followed by" "It's ‘don't know', not "dunno". Jack ass."

Pettinger offered an apology for calling Clement out, adding that he just wanted someone involved with spending Canada's money to know how to spell properly.

Pettinger later sent copies of the private conversation to the media, saying he found the message "uncalled for and rude."

In an interview with CTV News, Pettinger said he hadn't meant any offence, but was disappointed that a government official would curse a member of his own constituency.

"It isn't that bad for someone to make a spelling mistake on Twitter because it is just 140 characters. But then I decided to joke around a little with him and sent a couple of tweets his way," Pettinger said during a Skype interview on Tuesday.

"I didn't expect anything back and didn't think anything of it until the next morning when he messaged me back. I'm shocked that someone so powerful in Canada and that someone so media-savvy would say something like that on a social networking site."

Pettinger received an apology from Clement Tuesday morning, after the media began to report on the affair. The minister also said on Twitter that he wasn't aware Pettinger was only 15 years old.

"I'm sorry for my reaction to your Tweet and for offending you. I hope you continue to be interested in what people have to say," Clement wrote.

Pettinger said he has accepted Clement's apology, but added that the experience has changed the way he looks at politicians.

"I will definitely be interested in what people have to say. But it has put me off politics a little bit," he said. "That politicians can say something like that to their fellow countrymen and walk off the next day just thinking ‘I got through that one.'

"I'm going to accept his apology on this one and hope he realizes how bad it is to be doing that."

Tony Clement apologizes for insulting 15-year-old | CTV Toronto

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
petros
+1
Quote:

He later asked "if you can't spell how can you run Canada's treasury?"

Was Tony ever claiming he could?

wulfie68
No Party Affiliation
Stupid move in even responding to the kid by Clement... and yes the kid was being a jackass: its an accepted convention that formal spelling and grammatical rules go out the window with texting and most social media.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+5
#4  Top Rated Post
Wow what a non-story.

Anyone here ever used Twitter? You only get 140 characters to send a tweet.

It's like txting, u have lil space to make yer point. Thus bastardizing the English Language.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Wow what a non-story.

It's like txting, u have lil space to make yer point. Thus bastardizing the English Language.

I H8 Txts

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I H8 Txts

Me 2.

mentalfloss
jaka$$z

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
Clements an idiot for apologizing. He should have gone over to the kids house and kicked his dog.

mentalfloss
All your jackass are belong to us.

Tonington
+2

Wow what a non-story.

Space constraints don't really apply when you need fewer than 140 characters.

Nonetheless, it's picking knits, the message was obvious, there's no loss of information due to the improper spelling of "tonight".

Tony's an idiot for responding as he did. It's one thing for me to call a troll on this board an idiot, a whole 'notha level for Tony.

But it's part of a much larger pattern on his part of poor judgement. I'm surprised Harper has put up with his nonsense this long. Though he was a very good punching bag during the Census ruckus.

Goober
Free Thinker

Clements an idiot for apologizing. He should have gone over to the kids house and kicked his dog.

Tony has people for that. he would just send over Guido, AKA Dog Kicker for that. Now I stil wonder about that 50 Mill.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Tony's an idiot for responding as he did. It's one thing for me to call a troll on this board an idiot, a whole 'notha level for Tony. .

I find it rather stupid that we complain that politicians don't act like real people, but expect them to act in accordance with fake standards.

Bogus outrage.

And for the record I'm neither a Clement defender or a fan, but this was a non event on a slow news day.

Goober
Free Thinker

I find it rather stupid that we complain that politicians don't act like real people, but expect them to act in accordance with fake standards.

Bogus outrage.

And for the record I'm neither a Clement defender or a fan, but this was a non event on a slow news day.

I would agree. Guess they can't find anything else. Much the same as Ford and CBC - 911 call etc.

Tonington

The standards aren't fake if people expect them to act better, I mean they actually exist. In fact, people expect them to act better in large part because party leaders discipline members for stuff like this. They will all attack each other for slip-ups, so in the end that is the behaviour that is deviant, not because of some arbitrary reasoning, but because the politicians themselves isolate it, and it's reported back to us on what most of us call slow news days. It's entirely normal for us, you're right.

Standards don't have to make sense...double standards exist everywhere, we tacitly agree with them because as a group we have brands and cheer on the home team.

It is stupid, but that's exactly what makes large groups of people stupid.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

The standards aren't fake if people expect them to act better, I mean they actually exist. In fact, people expect them to act better in large part because party leaders discipline members for stuff like this. They will all attack each other for slip-ups, so in the end that is the behaviour that is deviant, not because of some arbitrary reasoning, but because the politicians themselves isolate it, and it's reported back to us on what most of us call slow news days. It's entirely normal for us, you're right.

Standards don't have to make sense...double standards exist everywhere, we tacitly agree with them because as a group we have brands and cheer on the home team.

It is stupid, but that's exactly what makes large groups of people stupid.

All of it is complete and utter bullsh!t. Whether it's the Left - Right makes no difference.

This brand of counterfeit outrage is not limited to just politics, we find it in pop culture and media as well.

I'm not sure what I find more repugnant. The fake outrage or the bogus apology.

mentalfloss

All of it is complete and utter bullsh!t. Whether it's the Left - Right makes no difference.

This brand of counterfeit outrage is not limited to just politics, we find it in pop culture and media as well.

I'm not sure what I find more repugnant. The fake outrage or the bogus apology.

The standard of care actually has its roots in the justice system. There are different groups of individuals that are subject to different standards of care. It's for example, why a judge might charge tort damages to a psychologist for swearing at one of his clients, but give no mind to someone on the street telling you to **** off.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
Sounds like the 15 year old was a Jack Ass.

It is very important for everything to be properly spelled on twitter or the internet for that matter. The world will end if it is not.

gerryh
+1

Bogus outrage.

Agreed, and the 15 year old was a jackass and I'm betting was trolling Clement. The apology should never have been issued.

Niflmir
Free Thinker
If he was trying to save space he would have typed 2nite.

He clearly has spelling problems. Which I could give a damn about, but is certainly bad form for a public face. Heck, my browser shows me when I make a typo, so we have a person that commits to something before taking the time to correct obvious faults.

On top of that, calling someone a jackass for making fun of your bad spelling, that shows low levels of maturity. It is the internet, just let it go. Heck, even in real life it would be absurd.

This is just a chain of increasingly bad character traits. He did apologise. Got to give him credit for that.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

On top of that, calling someone a jackass for making fun of your bad spelling, that shows low levels of maturity. It is the internet, just let it go. Heck, even in real life it would be absurd.

I belive he called him a Jack Ass for using incorrect spelling to correct his incorrect spelling or short form spelling. tonite? Who really gives a fluck?

His appology is damage control. Politics 101: when confronted appologize.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1
As with other politicians who have sworn, I'm indifferent to this case as well. There are more important things to go after Clement with.

Spade
Free Thinker
Like mandarins but not clementines. A bit sour for my taste.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
What is the world coming to? We have people throwing bananas at NHL players (really? a banana? what kind of damage are you going to do with that? you'd need an apple or a pear at minimum!) and now we have a federal cabinet minister getting into a "twitter-spat" with a 15 year old.

Is the 15 year old a jack-ass? Well, he's 15, so odds are.

And what is the guy in charge of the treasury board doing twittering anyway? And since when is twitter a private conversation? Isn't the whole point of the darned thing to have a group of "followers"?

Remember back in the day when an MP used to call someone a jack-ass in the House and was then booted. Then we all got to watch all 45 seconds of it on the evening news and, then, we got on with our lives. Good times.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

And what is the guy in charge of the treasury board doing twittering anyway? And since when is twitter a private conversation? Isn't the whole point of the darned thing to have a group of "followers"?

There is a private messaging option. It has also been misused by other politicians, remember Anthony Weiner?

I follow Celement on twitter as well as several dozen other MPs from all parties. Clement is definitely the most prolific tweeter and the most likely politician to respond to questions on twitter. Most others just tweet random talking points. Clement will tweet about pretty much anything under the sun.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

There is a private messaging option. It has also been misused by other politicians, remember Anthony Weiner?

Who could forget?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Tony Clement apologizes for insulting 15-year-old

"Much ado about nothing"

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

What is the world coming to? We have people throwing bananas at NHL players (really? a banana? what kind of damage are you going to do with that? you'd need an apple or a pear at minimum!) and now we have a federal cabinet minister getting into a "twitter-spat" with a 15 year old.....

Apple? Pear? Pfft....Real damage comes from a Potato!!! Trust me on this...

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
Funny! I seem to remember a bunch of people getting their balls in a knot over something Justin Trudeau said. A little double standard going on?

SLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Um, yeah. Weiner was the U.S politician who got into trouble for showing his, uh, wiener. Right? With a name like that, in politics, it was only a matter of time really.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Apple? Pear? Pfft....Real damage comes from a Potato!!! Trust me on this...

I've no doubt, I trust you implicitly. Just don't aim that thing in my direction. Lol.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Funny! I seem to remember a bunch of people getting their balls in a knot over something Justin Trudeau said. A little double standard going on?

I never got my balls in a knot. I'd remember that. Man that would hurt something fierce.

By the way if Clement had called the kid a piece of sh!t I think an apology would have been in order. That's a little harsher than jackass--wouldn't you agree.