800 years of democracy is unravelling before our very eyes

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

They're representative of Monty Python and the Goons.

They represent themselves. That's the only reason they are in that job. The pay and the perks, like the taxpayer-funded bars in the Palace of Westminster.

Some stupid Labour bint on Adam Boulton on Sky News this morning was saying that the referendum result should not be respected. She admitted on live TV that she hates democracy.

Proof, if any were needed, that Britain is no longer a democracy.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Britain should stop trying to pretend that its empire was benevolent

he recent debacle of David Cameron’s filmed condemnation of Nigerian and Afghan corruption and the Queen’s remark on Chinese officials’ rudeness highlights the persistence of imperial thinking in Britain. There seems to be a continuing assumption within the British establishment that it sets an example for others to follow and that the British are owed deference by others. Ever since evangelical antislavery activists campaigned for Britain to abolish the transatlantic slave trade, Britons have assured themselves that imperial overrule is compatible with the “benign tutelage” of other races and nations. Unlike the other European empires, Britons tell themselves, theirs was an empire founded on humanitarian compassion for colonised subjects.
The argument runs like this: while the Spanish, Portuguese, French, Belgians and Germans exploited and abused, the British empire brought ideas of protection for lesser races and fostered their incremental development. With British tutelage colonised peoples could become, eventually, as competent, as knowledgeable, as “civilised” as Britain itself. These platitudes have been repeated time and again – they are still at the heart of most popular representations of the British Empire.
Even when we are encouraged to pay attention to empire’s costs as well as its benefits, these costs are imagined solely in terms of specific incidents of violence such as the Amritsar Massacre in India or the suppression of the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya. Britain has excused itself from that most structural injustice of empire – the slave trade itself – by the fact that it was Britain that pioneered its abolition.

More: https://theconversation.com/britain-...nevolent-59298

Coffee House

India has its own record of imperialist crimes

Robert Frazer

Robert Frazer
13 April 2019
The Spectator

In acknowledging post-colonial guilt, William Dalrymple asks us to perceive how others see us. If only those critics could ever see themselves (Books, 6 April). The Amritsar massacre of 1919 was a failure, but how many more families were affected by the Amritsar massacre of 1984? More people were killed by the Indian republic in ‘Operation Blue Star’ than by Dyer in 1919 — and thousands more Sikhs were killed in pogroms perpetrated with the connivance of the Indian National Congress in 1984.

India has its own record of imperialist crimes. Modern India was scarcely months old when it invaded the independent principality of Hyderabad: 200,000 people were killed in a naked act of territorial aggression. In 1975, India also subjected the principality of Sikkim to military occupation and annexation, and from Khalistan to Assam has suppressed multiple regional independence movements with a bloodiness that makes the Troubles look like a playground scuffle. Apologies from Britain for crimes caused during the Raj should only be forthcoming when modern India is forced to make amends for its own neocolonial atrocities.

Robert Frazer
Stockport, Cheshire

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/0...ialist-crimes/

Blackleaf
RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: What would Rumpole make of Brexit murderers like Mrs May if we put them on trial at the Old Bailey?

By Richard Littlejohn for the Daily Mail
12 April 2019

Rumpole of the Bailey, played by Leo McKern, should turn prosecutor and put those who have handled the Brexit chaos in the dock

Rumpole of the Bailey is being brought out of retirement and given a modern makeover by the daughters of his creator, John Mortimer.

Actress Emily Mortimer and her sister Rosie have 'reimagined' the eccentric barrister for a new TV series. The original Rumpole, played by Leo McKern, ran on ITV for 44 episodes between 1978 and 1992.

Celebrated for his literary allusions, his love of small cigars and copious amounts of Chateau Thames Embankment from Pomeroy's Wine Bar, Horace Rumpole enchanted millions of viewers.

One wonders how Rumpole himself would have reacted to being brought up to date. On being told he had to move with the times, he replied: 'If I don't like the way the times are moving, I shall refuse to accompany them.'

He believed the presumption of innocence was the 'golden thread' which ran through British justice and only ever appeared for the defence.

But times have indeed changed since Rumpole last appeared at the Old Bailey.

The introduction of the dreaded European 'Yuman Rites' Act and the creation of the ridiculous Supreme Court have torn up our traditional legal landscape.

Truth and justice have been replaced by spin and duplicity. So, if Rumpole is truly to be updated for the 21st century, he should rethink his guiding principle.

Perhaps it's time that Horace Rumpole appeared for the prosecution. If there was any justice in the world, the entire political class would be put in the dock at the Old Bailey and charged with murdering Brexit.

The scene is Court Number One, Judge Bullingham presiding . . .

My Lord, I appear for the Crown in this case, along with my learned colleague, the lovely Portia of Equity Court, Miss Phyllida Trant. The defence is represented by Mr Claude Erskine Brown QC and Mizz Liz Probert.

This is most unusual, Mr Rumpole. I don't believe I have ever known you to prosecute.

That is correct, Old Darling. In the past, Rumpole has always pleaded Not Guilty. I recall that Your Lordship presided at my most famous victory, the Penge Bungalow Murders trial.

Indeed, I did. Bloodstains, wasn't it?

One wonders how Rumpole himself would have reacted to being brought up to date. On being told he had to move with the times, he replied: 'If I don't like the way the times are moving, I shall refuse to accompany them.'

Your Lordship's memory is as acute as ever. But ne'er so bloody as the case before us today. Times have sadly moved on and I find myself compelled, for once, to accompany them.

You may proceed, Mr Rumpole.

I am obliged, My Lord. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. You see before you in the dock as rum a collection of desperados as ever drew breath. They are charged with the theft, kidnap and brutal, pre-meditated murder of Brexit.

What is this Brexit to which you refer, Mr Rumpole?

You may well ask, My Lord, since it has been spirited away before our very eyes in the most vile manner.

(Erskine-Brown). I really must protest, My Lord.

Oh, do shut up, Claude. You'll get your turn. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I invite you to cast back your minds to the morning of June 24, 2016. Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive . . .

Get on with it, Mr Rumpole.

Britain awoke to learn that 17.4 million people, a clear majority, had voted to leave the European Union, to cast off the yoke of a corrupt foreign tyranny.

Never again would this royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by nature for herself . . .

We get the picture, Mr Rumpole. This is the Old Bailey, not the Old Vic.

Members of the jury, as a consequence of this historic plebiscite, the principal defendant Theresa Mary May became Prime Minister, when 'Call Me Dave' Cameron fell on his sword and was carried from the battlefield.

She promised solemnly that Brexit would mean Brexit. But she lied through her teeth and far from freeing Britain from the deadly embrace of a hostile foreign entity has surrended the last vestiges of sovereignty . . .

(Erskine-Brown). My Lord, I really must protest . . .

Theresa May and her cohorts should be put on trial charged with the murder of Brexit

Oh, do relax, Claude. Members of the jury, I put it to you that Mrs May, aka Mother Theresa of Maidenhead, the self-styled She Who Must Be Obeyed, as if there could be another, is fortunate not to have been charged with treason.

Mr Rumpole, stick to the charges before the court.

The prosecution will show that the defendant is guilty of grand larceny and murder most foul. Yet she stands not alone in the dock.

Behold her co-conspirators, Gina Nadira Miller, Pixie Balls-Cooper, Dominique Legion d'Honneur, Olivia Leftwing, Jean-Claude Bercow, Philip Spread-Fear Hammond, Amber Roland Rat, Anna Soubry-Loo and O Jeremy Corbyn.

I believe charges are pending against others, also, Mr Rumpole.

You believe correctly, My Lord. Unfortunately, there isn't room in the dock for them all to be tried at once.

Another 420 Members of Parliament have been remanded to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on similar counts of kidnapping and murder.

(Erskine-Brown). If Your Lordship pleases, my clients refuse to recognise the legitimacy of this court.

They believe members of the jury are too stupid to be trusted to reach the right verdict. They demand to be tried before a jury of their peers, at the European Court of Justice.

I bet they do, Old Darling.

Motion denied, Mr Erskine-Brown. Pray continue, Mr Rumpole.

I am obliged, My Lord. Members of the jury, in a nutshell, 17.4 million people voted to leave the EU and all its works and the defendants promised repeatedly to honour the result.

But immediately after the referendum, the political class and their confederates stole Brexit and have slowly strangled it to death.

Not only have they failed to 'take back control', they have handed our once-proud independent kingdom's fate to our natural enemies.

All are guilty of cold-blooded murder.

That is for the jury to decide, Mr Rumpole. Have you anything else before we repair to the Magpie and Stump for luncheon?

If I may further quote the Bard: 'This land of such dear souls, this dear, dear land . . . is now leased out. England . . . is now bound in with shame. With inky blots and rotten parchment bonds, that England that was wont to conquer others, hath made a shameful conquest of itself.'

That's enough, Mr Rumpole. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, at the end of the trial you will retire to consider your verdict of Not Guilty.

In the event of a majority in favour of Guilty, you will be instructed to keep on voting until you reach the right decision. We are adjourned until Halloween.

Mine's a large Chateau Thames Embankment, Old Darling.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ld-Bailey.html

Blackleaf
The ‘othering’ of Leave voters

Remainers are wrong to portray the Leave vote as a product of provincial England.

Rakib Ehsan
The Spectator
11th April 2019

Remainers are rewriting history. They say the Brexit vote in June 2016 was little more than the product of ‘forgotten’ and ‘left-behind’ Britain – a mixture of anti-establishment feeling and imperial nostalgia in the northern industrial towns and the provincial Midlands. The latest purveyor of this narrative comes from the Financial Times’s Phillip Stephens.

According to Stephens, Brexit was not a British phenomenon, but an ‘English enterprise’. Specifically, a provincial English enterprise. He provides a similar account of Brexit to that previously made by outgoing Liberal Democrat Leader Sir Vince Cable, when he said that Brexit voters were driven by a nostalgia for a time when Britain was ‘white’. Stephens claims that the vote to leave the EU reflects a Britain that has ‘never come to terms with the loss of empire’. Brexit ‘is rooted as much in nostalgia as in the populist revolt against elites and outsiders’. This is what has ‘supplied the European debate with such visceral anger’, he argues.

This caricature of Brexit as a project of swivel-eyed English nationalists who have never come to terms with the end of empire is inaccurate and offensive. Indeed, one-third of ethnic minority voters voted to leave the EU – with British Indians being more likely to support Brexit than other BME groups. Even in Remainer London, British Indian Euroscepticism is prevalent, especially in the capital’s multi-ethnic Western boroughs. Osterley and Spring Grove, a relatively affluent non-white-majority ward in Hounslow with a noticeable Indian-origin presence, voted 63.4 per cent Leave. Hillingdon delivered a Leave vote of 56.4 per cent.

Eurosceptic sentiments among home-owning, well-to-do West Londoners of Punjabi and Gujarati origin are unlikely to be driven by a feeling of a loss of empire. Rather, it is more likely to be driven by a desire to see a skills-based immigration system, where EU migrants are not given preferential treatment over non-EU migrants. This discrimination feeds into a view of the EU as a ‘White Fortress’, which places Asian and African economies at a disadvantage in global markets through protectionist measures like the Common Agricultural Policy.

Stephens goes on to say that ‘with the exception of Birmingham, the nation’s great cities – London, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle among them – were on the side of Remain’. In this narrative, the provinces might have voted Leave, but England’s cities voted overwhelmingly in favour of Remain.

But a closer look at English cities shows that support for Leave was high there, too. While Newcastle and Leeds both voted marginally in favour of remaining in the EU, they delivered Leave votes of 49.3 per cent and 49.7 per cent respectively.

If Birmingham is the only of England’s ‘great’ cities to have voted Leave, one can only gather that Nottingham is not a great English city in the FT’s books, despite its rich history and culture. It is also home to the highly respected University of Nottingham, a Test ground in Trent Bridge and Nottingham Forest FC. Nottingham delivered a Leave vote of 50.8 per cent.

Sheffield, the home of Tudor Square, producer of countless well-known music acts, host to both one of the fiercest rivalries in English football and the Snooker World Championships at The Crucible, also fails to make the cut in this ‘Great English Cities’ list. Perhaps this is because it returned a Leave vote of 51 per cent.

Then, there is the fact that Wales provided a Leave vote of 52.5 per cent. In order to paint Brexit as a project of English nationalism, other Remainers have ignored or tried to downplay the Welsh support for Leave, too. For instance, Paul Adamson, chairman of Forum Europe, claims that the Welsh Leave vote is irrelevant because Leave won by just 82,225 votes. But this obscures the difference of five percentage points in favour of Leave – a gap wider than the UK-wide difference of 3.8 percentage points.

What the FT’s latest hit piece shows is that some elite Remainers cannot be trusted to provide an honest and fulsome account of what actually happened in June 2016. Modern-day Euroscepticism is complex. It cuts through a range of ethnic and socioeconomic groups. And it is certainly alive and well within our great English cities.

As well as largely sidelining ethnic-minority Leave voters from the Brexit debate, the mainstream media have followed a narrative that ‘others’ our fellow citizens who live in industrial towns and provincial parts of England. The people are broadly seen by pro-EU cosmopolitans as simple, misinformed, jingoistic nativists, who are undeserving of a proper say in their own country’s democratic governance.

The facts show that Brexit is not a provincial English enterprise. But even if it was, why should that matter? People living in provincial England are also part of the British democratic political community. It is time we treated them as such.

Dr Rakib Ehsan is a research fellow at the Henry Jackson Society. Follow him on Twitter: @rakibehsan

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/0...-leave-voters/

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

The ‘othering’ of Leave voters

Remainers are wrong to portray the Leave vote as a product of provincial England.

Nonsense. They're a product of shithead England.

Blackleaf
ROD LIDDLE Jez like that, Brexit is about to turn out the opposite of what we voted for

What kind of Brexit do you think Magic Grandpa is going to push for now he has a seat at the table?

Comment
By Rod Liddle, Sun Columnist
3rd April 2019
The Sun

RIGHT, let me understand this. The Prime Minister is now going to work out a Brexit deal with Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party.

She’s going to sit down with Magic Grandpa and work out a means to get Brexit through Parliament.

Theresa May is going to sit down with Magic Grandpa to find a means to deliver Brexit

How do you think Magic Grandpa is going to behave?

Do you think he’s suddenly going to come over all statesmanlike and do what’s best for the country?

Or will he think to himself: “I’ve got this bint over a barrel. I can screw out of her whatever the hell I want. And then look like I’m the bloke that saved Brexit.”

Go on, take a wild guess.

Except it won’t BE Brexit. It won’t be anything we voted for back on June 23, 2016.

We voted to leave the EU. Not to leave a small bit of the EU and carry on bunging it vast loads of dosh every year.

BREXIT BETRARYAL

And doing as we’re told over trade.

And abiding by their free movement of labour rules.

So we’ll have even more EU workers over here, undercutting the wages of the poorest of our own workers.

That’s kind of the OPPOSITE of what we voted for.

And we won’t even have a vote in the EU, as we do now.

It will be the worst of all worlds.

Do you think Magic Grandpa is suddenly going to come over all statesmanlike and do what’s best for the country?

And we’re at this appalling position largely because we have been failed by our Government.

Failed by our Prime Minister. And failed, dreadfully, by the House of Commons.

They all paid lip service to respecting the voice of the people. Hardly any of them meant it.

The majority for Remain in the House of Commons is enormous. And they were determined to get what THEY wanted.

The horrible thing is, even many of those who DID demand a proper Brexit let us down.

They let us down when they failed to mount a bid to lead the party after the referendum.

And they’ve let us down again by not being realistic about what sort of Brexit we can have.

It was clear to me at the end of December that there was no possibility whatsoever of us leaving the EU with No Deal.

It simply wouldn’t get through Parliament.

So the choice was May’s admittedly rotten deal, an even worse deal further down the line, or no Brexit at all.

I do not understand why the European Research Group of MPs didn’t understand this back then — and vote for May’s deal.

BREXIT'S GOT EVEN WORSE

We would be better off leaving with no deal at all, they kept saying. Yes, indeed.

But that was never, ever going to happen. How could they not see this?

There’s a good case for arguing that any deal cooked up by May and Gramps would be worse than staying in the European Union.

It would be, at best, a purely nominal Brexit, which would leave us all worse off — and the EU rather better off.

So at every stage, and by every part of the House of Commons, we have been let down, betrayed.

Whatever happens in the next few weeks, we need a new kind of politics.

One that represents the majority of the British people.

And for this shower to be washed away.

Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn says No10 talks on Brexit with PM Theresa May were 'useful but inconclusive'

Time to go for C4 Snow

JON Snow is the white, elderly, public school-educated presenter of Channel 4 News.

He is famous for his unrelenting left-wing bias and wearing ties.

C4's Jon Snow, famous for his left-wing bias and ties, shoe-horned his prejudices into the Brexit march report

He attended the Brexit march in Westminster on March 29. And what did he have to say about it?

“It’s been the most extraordinary day. A day which has seen . . . I have never seen so many white people in one place . . . ”

Needless to say, this drew more than 2,000 complaints from viewers.

Some, I hope, will have pointed out that the anti-Brexit march the previous Saturday was even more resolutely white.

Or perhaps simply alerted this pompous ass to the fact that 87 per cent of the country is white.

Snow was channelling the anti-Brexit line that all leavers are white and probably racist scumbags.

It is an idiotic assertion and always was. C4 News has apologised, kind of. One of those apologies that isn’t really an apology.

Anyway, my view is that Jon is male, pale and stale and it’s time for him to go.

Ideally to be replaced by someone who can report a news story without shoe-horning in their prejudices.

Some, I hope, will have pointed out that the anti-Brexit march the previous Saturday was even more resolutely white

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/878601...-we-voted-for/

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Coffee House

India has its own record of imperialist crimes

Robert Frazer

I've always loved this one. "India engaged in imperialist crimes, so what Britain did in India was fine."

Over here it's "The Native Americans made war with each other, so what we did to them was fine."

Congratulations, dipshit. The Jews made war, too. So you just justified the Holocaust.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I've always loved this one. "India engaged in imperialist crimes, so what Britain did in India was fine."
Over here it's "The Native Americans made war with each other, so what we did to them was fine."
Congratulations, dipshit. The Jews made war, too. So you just justified the Holocaust.

Now stop putting words into other people's mouths.

The only thing wrong with the letter is that it says Stockport is in Cheshire, when it's actually in Greater Manchester.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
"Greater Manchester" ... the oxymoron of the day ...

Tecumsehsbones

Now stop putting words into other people's mouths.
The only thing wrong with the letter is that it says Stockport is in Cheshire, when it's actually in Greater Manchester.

I read your mind.

That didn't take long.

Blackleaf

"Greater Manchester" ... the oxymoron of the day ...

Blackleaf
The UK's second-largest urban area, Manchester is home to 3.2 million people.

In 2014, the Globalisation and World Cities Research Network ranked Manchester as a beta world city, the highest-ranked British city apart from London.[12] Manchester is the third-most visited city in the UK, after London and Edinburgh.[13] It is notable for its architecture, culture, musical exports, media links, scientific and engineering output, social impact, sports clubs and transport connections. Manchester Liverpool Road railway station was the world's first inter-city passenger railway station; scientists first split the atom, developed the stored-program computer and produced graphene in the city. Manchester hosted the 2002 Commonwealth Games.

Manchester city centre by drone:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sStsJFA0HNo

The city is going upwards, with many new skyscrapers under construction:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jjUApooTFco

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pty6ArefRj8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FADiWx_OZc0

Blackleaf
Approach to Manchester city centre from Old Trafford:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5b-tgjtwb2U
Last edited by Blackleaf; Apr 14th, 2019 at 09:00 AM..

Curious Cdn
Conservative

The UK's second-largest urban area, Manchester is home to 3.2 million people.
In 2014, the Globalisation and World Cities Research Network ranked Manchester as a beta world city, the highest-ranked British city apart from London.[12] Manchester is the third-most visited city in the UK, after London and Edinburgh.[13] It is notable for its architecture, culture, musical exports, media links, scientific and engineering output, social impact, sports clubs and transport connections. Manchester Liverpool Road railway station was the world's first inter-city passenger railway station; scientists first split the atom, developed the stored-program computer and produced graphene in the city. Manchester hosted the 2002 Commonwealth Games.
Manchester city centre by drone:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sStsJFA0HNo
The city is going upwards, with many new skyscrapers under construction:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jjUApooTFco
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pty6ArefRj8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FADiWx_OZc0

So, the 2018 Globalisation and World Cities Research Network list ranked the urban area that I live in as an Alpha city, the next largest Canadian city, Montreal as Alpha-, the third largest Canadian city Vancouver as Beta+ and the next largest one, Calgary as a Beta city.

Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh are all down in the Beta- category, although London is at the top of the ratings with Alpha ++.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2018t.html

Tecumsehsbones
Funny part is that for most of "800 years of democracy," the franchise was limited to less than 1% of the population.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Funny part is that for most of "800 years of democracy," the franchise was limited to less than 1% of the population.

When did Native Americans get the franchise, again?

They didn't get in in Canada until 1960.

Tecumsehsbones

The Indian Citizenship Act of 1924. Last group in the U.S. to get it, other than 18-year-olds.

Tecumsehsbones

Oh dear. You mean the safe, non-violent, socialist paradise discriminated? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tells ya!

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Oh dear. You mean the safe, non-violent, socialist paradise discriminated? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tells ya!

So did the Know-How "Land of the Free", made rich on the backs of a few million slaves.

Tecumsehsbones

So did the Know-How "Land of the Free", made rich on the backs of a few million slaves.

Of course we did. We're EEE-vil, remember?

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Of course we did. We're EEE-vil, remember?

You're working very hard on it, anyway.

pgs
Free Thinker

Of course there were never slaves in the colonies .
No such thing as indentured servants either .

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Of course there were never slaves in the colonies .
No such thing as indentured servants either .

... in the hundreds, not in the millions.

Cliffy
Free Thinker

MHz
He does a bit of landscaping first. Satan has to put his throne in Jerusalem. God only gives him the 3 1/2 days the two witnesses are in the grave to install a false throne to the temple is made of tents like Moses erected. I'm pretty sure the ones running the show today would need 35 years to complete something destined to stand for 100's of years. The 2nd reference is what else is going on at that same time. 'It is done' means the bruise to Satan's head is completed in full.
Zec:14:4:
And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives,
which is before Jerusalem on the east,
and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west,
and there shall be a very great valley;
and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north,
and half of it toward the south.
Re:16:15-21:
Behold,
I come as a thief.
Blessed is he that watcheth,
and keepeth his garments,
lest he walk naked,
and they see his shame.
And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air;
and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven,
from the throne, saying, It is done.
And there were voices,
and thunders,
and lightnings;
and there was a great earthquake,
such as was not since men were upon the earth,
so mighty an earthquake,
and so great.
And the great city was divided into three parts,

and the cities of the nations fell:
and great Babylon came in remembrance before God,
to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath.
And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.
And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven,
every stone about the weight of a talent:
and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail;
for the plague thereof was exceeding great.

Blackleaf
The madness of David Lammy

The Labour MP’s hatred for Brexit is not normal on any level.

BRENDAN O'NEILL
EDITOR
Spiked
15th April 2019

Is there any politician more hateful than David Lammy right now? This is the great irony of the Tottenham Labour MP’s pose as fearless warrior against the hate that was allegedly unleashed by the vote for Brexit in 2016: he himself has done far more than any Brexit voter to promote prejudice and division over the past two-and-a-half years. From his naked contempt for the millions who voted for Brexit, whose ‘wisdom’ he openly calls into question, to his casual, ahistorical and positively dangerous branding of politicians who are strongly committed to Brexit as Nazis, Mr Lammy has become the very thing he claims to oppose: a shrill, unreasoned, over-emotional propagator of loathing towards certain sections of the population.

Mr Lammy’s latest meltdown – and that really isn’t too strong a word for his obsessive hatred for Brexit – came on The Andrew Marr Show on BBC One on Sunday. Marr asked Lammy if his previous comparison of the European Research Group (ERG) to the old racist rulers of South Africa and even to the Nazis had been a little over the top. The ERG is the Eurosceptic wing of the Tory Party. It has never enforced or supported apartheid of any kind, far less has it propagated Nazi ideas, so Marr’s question was a good one. Mr Lammy’s response was extraordinary. Not only did he double down on his foul Holocaust relativism by continuing to compare the present political situation with the most criminal political regime in human history – he pushed it even further by saying his comparison of the ERG to the Nazis was ‘not strong enough’.

Not strong enough. Think about what is being said here. Mr Lammy is saying he was actually being too soft when he said Jacob Rees-Mogg and Co were like the Nazis. He is saying they are worse than the Nazis. These Conservative MPs who are favourable towards Brexit and critical of the EU are worse than the dictators who vaporised six million Jews and spread war, terror and fascist authoritarianism across Europe. What madness is this? Lammy told Marr that people who back a hard Brexit – otherwise known as actual Brexit – are promoting ‘extreme hard-right fascism’. ‘I’m not backing off on this one’, he said, as if standing by your hysterical, elitist libel against certain politicians and Brexit supporters more broadly is evidence of backbone and principle, when in truth it is evidence of your increasing vacation of the realm of reason and your corresponding inability to make any kind of rational moral judgement.

There is so much wrong with Mr Lammy’s exploitation of the greatest horrors of human history to score points against Brexit and its parliamentary backers. The first and most obvious is that it is a lie. The ERG members are not Nazis. The second is that it utterly denigrates historical memory. To compare today’s tense but peaceful disagreements over whether and how the UK should leave the EU to the period in which Jews were slaughtered in their millions is to relativise the past; to make the events of the 1930s and 1940s seem less bad, more normal, through comparing them with the political to and fro of 21st-century Britain. One of the key motors of anti-Semitism today is Holocaust relativism, the idea that there was nothing particularly special about Jewish suffering in the 20th century, so maybe ‘those people’ should just shut up about it. Politicians like Lammy who casually, thoughtlessly marshall the horrors of the 1930s to slam their opponents in the here and now risk inflaming this dangerous process of denigrating the uniqueness of the period of the Holocaust.

And thirdly, there’s the way Mr Lammy, and many others in the hardcore Remainer camp, seek to depict Brexit itself as a hard-right phenomenon. This is increasingly their aim, or at least their impact: to paint the very belief that we should leave the EU as an essentially toxic, fascistic phenomenon, and by extension to imply that the millions of people who back this belief are, unwittingly at least, complicit in this toxic, fascistic phenomenon. Brexit is, of course, the opposite to fascism. It is a cry for national independence, something the Nazis loathed. It is a plea for a greater democratic say for ordinary people, something the Nazis actively sabotaged with their imprisonment or execution of their political opponents and their banning of political parties. It is an opposition to the centralisation of political power in Europe, to the kind of process the Nazis very clearly supported (in a different way to the EU, of course). To compare Brexit with Nazism is an act of colossal historical idiocy and profound political spite.

And it spreads hatred. Undoubtedly so. Mr Lammy has been open about his contempt for Brexit voters. Very soon after the referendum result was announced, he slammed the way in which this referendum introduced ‘rule by plebiscite’ which ‘unleashes the “wisdom” of resentment and prejudice reminiscent of 1930s Europe’. So just days after the referendum result was announced, Mr Lammy was talking about Brexit voters in the same breath as the Nazis. He was referring to their ‘wisdom’ in scare quotes, because he thinks we are not wise at all – he thinks we are thick as pigshit. He was accusing voters of being full of resentment and prejudice. And in doing all of this, he helped to lay the ground for the tsunami of elitist hatefulness that would gather and crash over the subsequent months and years.

Mr Lammy inflames – whether wittingly or not – the poisonous online culture in which Leave voters are casually referred to as dumb, old, extremist imbeciles. He helps to whip up – whether wittingly or not – a real and frazzled loathing for certain politicians with his implication that these politicians are worse than the Nazis. He deepens – whether wittingly or not – that divide that has been magicked up post-referendum between a supposedly responsible, clever elite and an ignorant, dangerous throng. I don’t know a single Brexiteer who has done as much to green-light political hatred as Mr Lammy has.

If this was just a case of one politician losing it, it wouldn’t be worth commenting on. But Mr Lammy’s abandonment of political reason and historical rationalism speaks to a broader fraying of sense among the political establishment. We are now ruled by people who have been so rattled by Brexit, so taken aback by the plebs’ demand for a greater say in political affairs, that they are behaving in an increasingly unhinged and openly anti-democratic way. This is the final irony: they look at ordinary people and see a mad, unthinking throng, not realising that when we look back at them we see the exact same thing. The only difference is that we have evidence for what we see.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/0...f-david-lammy/

Curious Cdn
Conservative
The naygra did it.

It sounds pretty American to me.

Blackleaf

The naygra did it.

Yep. I watched him doing it live on TV myself.