Trudeau says 'erosion of trust,' bad communications sparked SNC-Lavalin controversy

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Why are the US economy and Canadian economy like night and day right now?

The US has a larger population (so a larger market and tax base), a higher population density (so less infrastructure to build per capita), and a milder climate (which reduces overhead heating costs for government and businesses). It too has stimulated its economy on borrowed money, so not all of that is sustainable.

One area Canada could learn from though is free trade. While some US politicians (and especially Trump) can be quite foolishly protectionist, the US overall is still more pro-free-trade than Canada. Again, we can nit pick on Trump and US agricultural subsidies, etc. I'm by no means saying the US is perfect. But overall, the US still allows freer trade than Canada does. That's one thing Canada can learn from.

That said, if the US chooses a trade war, while the US economy will hurt (and yes, the US is now facing rising debt and inflation), the Canadian one will hurt even more due to our smaller market. In short, free trade benefits both sides, but Canada more. Protectionism hurts both sides, but Canada more. Again, that's just because of our relative markets. Americans are complaining about rising costs too though.

I think Canada can also learn from the US'lower minum wage which reduces the risk of the government legislating an unskilled worker into unemployment.

petros
I didn't expect a MegaHitlerz type response.

That was kinda "out there".

White_Unifier

How so?

MHz

You spelled 'factual response' wrong retard.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

No argument but Trudeau is clearly ALT-left. I've yet to meet a sycophant of the ALT-left that isn't an unqualified idiot.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Conversely, I have never met a sycophant of the alt-right who isn't an unqualified idiot. Trump, Harper and Sheer come to mind.

That's why I like being in the middle.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Trudeau doesn’t run the Liberal Party. He’s not smart enough

I stand corrected.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

It is the globullists....

https://goo.gl/images/cBrZMc

Curious Cdn
I think Canada can also learn from the US'lower minum wage which reduces the risk of the government legislating an unskilled worker into unemployment.

Hunh?

Governmens are legislating unskilled workers into unemployment?

Link, please ...

I'm sure that the dirt poor in the US really appreciate being paid less and less as the top 1% are making more and more and paying less and less tax back into the system. They can make America great that way but I sure hope that we leave those sorts of negative growth tactics south of our border.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Hunh?
Link, please ...
I'm sure that the dirt poor in the US really appreciate being paid less and less as the top 1% are making more and more and paying less and less tax back into the system. They can make America great that way but I sure hope that we leave those sorts of negative growth tactics south of our border.

Why should the top 1% pay any higher taxes than the bottom 1%?

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

erosion of trust

more like an erosion of sanity.

Hoid

they don't

Curious Cdn

Why should they pay less?

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

they don't

Do they get GST cheques?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Hunh?
Link, please ...

Basic economics. If you raise the minimum wage, then we criminalize an employer who's not willing to pay less than that. As a result, either the worker is left unemployed or the employer is willing to pay him under the table.

This does not mean that we should not help the poor. For example, I would support the introduction of a moderate personal-wealth tax on all personal wealth above the necessities of life and increased funding for universal compulsory education and literacy, trades, and professional education for the unemployed and even addiction therapy too. I'm even open to the idea of a negative wealth tax for those who earn below a certain amount even though I think it should be well regulated. For example, we might give any money to a person in the form of a Government debit card that could not be used to buy alcohol, tobacco, lottery tickets, etc. But yes, in principle, I do believe in helping the poor. I just think we need to do so in a more responsible manner, not by legislating unskilled workers out of work.

And yes I'm well aware that even with restrictions on a Government debit card, a person could always use the money to buy something to then barter; but if we can make it less convenient for him, that's already a plus.

pgs
+1

The economy seems to be doing alright,

Going out for McDonalds tonite ?

White_Unifier

The economy seems to be doing alright,

Any fool can borrow his nation's way to temporary prosperity.

petros
+1
What was borrowed to create retail and service industry jobs?