New nuclear threat? North Korea claims it has miniaturized warheads


B00Mer
#1
North Korea claims it has miniaturized warheads



North Korea claimed Wednesday that it has manufactured nuclear warheads small enough to fit on the head of a missile, an announcement that is likely to rachet up tensions in east Asia, particularly with South Korea.

According to Yonhap News, a spokesman for North Korea's National Defense Commission said that the development of the alleged weapons was part of an initiative to boost Pyongyang's self-defense capability.

"It is long since the DPRK's nuclear striking means have entered the stage of producing smaller nukes and diversifying them," the spokesman said, using the acronym of North Korea's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. "The DPRK has reached the stage of ensuring the highest precision and intelligence and best accuracy of not only medium- and short-range rockets, but long-range ones."

If the North's claim is true, it presents a fresh threat to the security of South Korea and Japan, as well as the United States. Pyongyang has previously claimed that it has the technology to build a nuclear weapon small enough to fit on an intercontinental ballistic missile, which could reach the U.S. mainland.

The statement comes days after North Korea claimed that it had successfully test-fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile earlier this month. South Korea had downplayed that announcement, characterizing the exercise as a test ejection, rather than a firing. South Korean officials believe the missile only traveled approximately 110 yards after it left the water, Yonhap reported.

The South Korean assessment was supported Tuesday by Navy Adm. James Winnefeld, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who told an audience at a Washington think tank that North Korea was "years away" from developing the capability to launch ballistic missiles from submarines.

The U.S.-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore raised its own questions about the viability of North Korea's claimed test, saying that images released by Pyongyang may have been altered and raising the possibility that the missiles were launched from a submerged barge instead of a submarine.

However, U.S. and South Korean officials appear to have acknowledged that North Korea carried out a test of some kind. On Tuesday, Winnefeld said that if North Korea develops the capability of launching ballistic missiles from a submarine, "it will present a hard-to-detect danger for Japan and South Korea as well as our servicemembers stationed in the region."

source: New nuclear threat? North Korea claims it has miniaturized warheads | Fox News
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
Those crazy Norks, eh?

It's time to re-build our navy's traditional antisubmarine capacity.

It's time to re-build our navy period.
 
petros
#3
Just a claim.
 
BaalsTears
#4
Obama will keep us safe won't he?
 
petros
+1
#5
From silly claims? You betcha!
 
BaalsTears
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

From silly claims? You betcha!

How many atomic bombs do you think North Korea has?
 
Goober
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Those crazy Norks, eh?

It's time to re-build our navy's traditional antisubmarine capacity.

It's time to re-build our navy period.

The Military as a whole needs rebuilding.
 
petros
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTears View Post

How many atomic bombs do you think North Korea has?

Nada.
Their last one was the size of two 40' sea cans.
 
B00Mer
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTears View Post

How many atomic bombs do you think North Korea has?

Isn't one enough if it explodes over San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington or New York City??
 
petros
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Isn't one enough if it explodes over San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington or New York City??

One minitured down to two 20' sea cans?
 
BaalsTears
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Nada.
Their last one was the size of two 40' sea cans.

How do you know that? How much more difficult is it to minitiarize a warhead than it is to build fission weapons?

We don't know whether China could hit American aircraft carriers with the DF-21D ballistic missile as the Chinese claim, but military planners must assume that the Chinese can as an exercise in caution. The same principle applies to the Norks.

In any event, assuming you are correct for the sake of argument, two 40' sea cans detonated in NYC or Washington, DC would bring the American economy down for a sustained period of time wouldn't they? Even a dirty bomb would. That would severely weaken the US.

Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Isn't one enough if it explodes over San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington or New York City??

Yup.
 
petros
#12
Find a rocket that can fire two sea cans 10, 000km and impress me.
 
BaalsTears
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Find a rocket that can fire two sea cans 10, 000km and impress me.

What's the relevance of 10k km?

North Korea Developing Nuclear Missile Submarines - Business Insider
 
petros
#14
Good luck getting near a US port with nuke material.
 
BaalsTears
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Good luck getting near a US port with nuke material.

What makes you say that?
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Find a rocket that can fire two sea cans 10, 000km and impress me.

Who says you even need a rocket? A rusty old tramp steamer with a honking huge fission bomb on board is just as deadly a delivery system. There is nothing to say that the only way to launch a nuclear strike is by slamming your palsied hand down on a big, red button. A rusty old tub would be the perfect disguise, as a matter of fact.
 
petros
#17
What makes you think they aren't wired. Want to have fun? Go get a thallium heart stress test and walk into an airport.
 
Curious Cdn
#18
Who says you even need a rocket? A rusty old tramp steamer with a honking huge fission bomb on board is just as deadly a delivery system. There is nothing to say that the only way to launch a nuclear strike is by slamming your palsied hand down on a big, red button. A rusty old tub would be the perfect disguise, as a matter of fact.

two 40' sea cans detonated in NYC or Washington, DC would bring the American economy down for a sustained period of time wouldn't they? Even a dirty bomb would. That would severely weaken the US.

A couple of attacks like that would piss the Americans off like nothing that we've seen before and they would totally mobilize for total war, which is something that we haven't seen them do for 3/4 of a century. It would unite them to a common purpose at a stroke.
 
petros
#19
Nooooooo problem. A big chunk of iron floating into US waters without any satellites seeing a thing. Just chug quietly and voila.
 
taxslave
+1
#20
Stands to reason they have smaller nukes. The people are not very big.
 
Galol
#21
No one used nuclear weapons since WW2. In fact, besides acting as a deterrent, nuclear weapons are militarily useless. But you know what this means, right? The US will not invade N. Korea which will make the world more peaceful.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#22
Phew... I thought for sure they would!


Militarily useless... lol
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#23
Not wanting to start a new thread:

Quote:

SEOUL – South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff have confirmed that North Korea launched a series of short range projectiles into the Sea of Japan on Monday morning, the latest salvo in North Korea’s tireless military campaign to destroy the sea.


Five short range projectiles, which Seoul officials believe to be missiles or artillery, were launched from a site near Hamhung and decisively struck the sea, in a brazen act of aggression against what is widely known as North Korea’s greatest enemy. Kim Jong-un was seen on state television personally overseeing the launch, in keeping with his sole mission as leader, passed down from his father on his deathbed: Blow up the sea, no matter the cost.




North Korea continues to wage bitter war against the sea - The Beaverton - North America's Trusted Source of News
 
Cliffy
#24
 
Curious Cdn
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Oh, bruvva!
 

Similar Threads

4
67
North Korea is the Real Threat
by mrmom2 | May 16th, 2005