Country’s top forecaster calls heatwave ‘opening act’'

mentalfloss
Hot enough for you? Country’s top forecaster calls heatwave ‘opening act’

A hotter and drier summer than usual is in the cards for Canadians, the country’s top weather guru says.

“There’s no guarantee with weather – not in Canada, maye in Malta or Cyprus or Honolulu ... But our models are showing that we think that July and August and early September look like it’s going to be warmer than normal from coast to coast to coast,” said Dave Phillips, senior climatologist at Environment Canada.

No areas of the country are expected to see temperatures dip below historic averages, though some areas will hover around the usual level.

“But most of the country – if this forecast turns out to be correct – it will be one where Canadians (will say) ‘boy, that was a warm summer,’” Mr. Phillips said.

The heat and humidity feeling in the low-40s across southern Ontario and parts of Quebec so far this week may be a prelude to the summer weather story to come.

It’s been “almost a dry run, or the opening act” to weather ahead, said Mr. Phillips.

“What you see is what you’re going to get,” he said, noting the agency’s models are the most “confident” in predicting weather in Eastern Canada.

He added that much of the country had a warm spring: the warmest in 65 years and the ninth hottest on record, with temperatures generally a degree-and-a-half higher than usual.

Mr. Phillips said the West will also be hit with hot and dry weather, with the cross-country forecast heating up the most through July and August.

But Mr. Phillips said the forecasting algorithms can’t quite put a finger on just how warm it will be.

And, he added, when the heat does arrive it may not stick around for weeks at a time. So don’t pencil in long trip expecting barbecue-friendly weather.

“It doesn’t mean that the two weeks that you take for your holidays are going to be nice and warm and toasty,” he said.

“It did last year but that’s not always the case ... But it will be warmer than normal and it will be everywhere.”

Though summer officially began at 7:09 p.m. ET Wednesday, Thursday is the first full day of summer.
Mr. Phillips said a hot, dry summer means a heightened risk for extreme meteorological events such as forest fires and tornadoes.

Last year saw several stunning examples of violent summer weather, like the blaze that decimated Slave Lake, Alta. and the twister that touched down in the southwestern Ontario town of Goderich.

Last summer saw the national average temperature up 1.1 degrees from the 1961 to 1990 average, the weather agency says. That made it the fourth warmest ever recorded.

“No models tell you have active or quiet the season is going to be. We just know that here in Canada, let’s face it, we have summer severe weather.”

He added: “We do know (that) on the lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer, you will get those moments where your life is passing in front of you, that you have to be careful what you do” outside.

So, Canada’s top weatherman says, make sure you grab the forecast before packing up the camper.

“When you venture out for an enjoyable day, wherever it may be across Canada, always know what the conditions are going to be like, and if it requires postponing your event or just sitting out for a couple of hours until the system passes through then you’ll be safer and happier with it.”

Hot enough for you? Country

Kakato
+4 / -1
#2  Top Rated Post
Fresh snow on the mountains here,single digit temps the last 3 weeks.
Coldest June in many years.

What were you saying?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Kakato View Post

What were you saying?

Canada.

Kakato
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Canada.

Well 3 provinces probably wouldnt agree with you right now.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Kakato View Post

What were you saying?

It's 9am here and already +26 degrees, not normal for this time of year. I like the heat though so not a problem for me.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Yikes!

26C in addition to all of the humidity you guys have must make it like an oven out there

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Yikes!

26C in addition to all of the humidity you guys have must make it like an oven out there

Supposed to get up to +33 today with 70% humidity... AC is a must. Lots of eye candy down by the lake though

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Supposed to get up to +33 today with 70% humidity... AC is a must. Lots of eye candy down by the lake though

Good on ya DD... Life is easier when you look at the 'pros' rather than focus on the negatives.

Maybe ya might think about taking your camera to work today and snapping some pics to share with the less fortunate members of CC that aren't located in the metro TO area.

mentalfloss
+1

There's eye candy everywhere these last few days.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Good on ya DD... Life is easier when you look at the 'pros' rather than focus on the negatives.

Maybe ya might think about taking your camera to work today and snapping some pics to share with the less fortunate members of CC that aren't located in the metro TO area.

Unfortunately, I work in North York, which is basically a wasteland of offices and concrete. Maybe I'll get down to the lake after work.

There's eye candy everywhere these last few days.

I wish more women would take advantage of the topless law, hahaha

JLM
No Party Affiliation
If the "Global Warming" trend is to continue, it going to have to be a hell of a hot summer to compensate for a lousy spring. And YES I know the difference between climate and weather, but one contributes to the other!

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

If the "Global Warming" trend is to continue, it going to have to be a hell of a hot summer to compensate for a lousy spring. And YES I know the difference between climate and weather, but one contributes to the other!

Weather has been crappy so far?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Weather has been crappy so far?

yep, about 19 days of rain in June, two or three warm days in May!

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation

yep, about 19 days of rain in June, two or three warm days in May!

Yikes, I feel for ya. 19 days of rain would drive me nuts.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1

Yikes, I feel for ya. 19 days of rain would drive me nuts.

Welcome to Lotus Land... When I lived out on the west coast, the clouds would roll in in mid October and you might get a dozen or so days of sun until spring.

It's no coincidence that they have suicide nets strung just above the first floor of the dorms at UBC; the weather there during the winter takes a helluva lot of getting used too.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Canada.

Last I heard Northern Alberta and the NWT are still part of Canada.

WLDB
No Party Affiliation
I wouldnt mind some dry weather. In Ottawa it is always humid. I cant stand it.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

I wouldnt mind some dry weather. In Ottawa it is always humid. I cant stand it.

That is why the intelligent people live west of the Lakehead!

lone wolf
Free Thinker
With all the rain out west I read about here, where are the wildfires the news speaks of?

WLDB
No Party Affiliation

That is why the intelligent people live west of the Lakehead!

They dont seem so sane in the middle of winter.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

They dont seem so sane in the middle of winter.

That's the ones west of the Rockies - the sane ones (just thought I better clarify)
Last edited by lone wolf; Jun 21st, 2012 at 10:34 AM..Reason: headed off claim-jumpers