moving to bc from uk---help

colin n siobhan
hi i am moving to bc in july 2009 with my wife and 3 children . i am english and my wife is canadian. we are lookin to chat with people from bc to help us out with information. e.g schools , jobs ,rented accomadation etc etc . your help would be very much appreciated. thanks colin and siobhan

Northboy
Where in BC are you going?

colin n siobhan
not too sure where in bc just yet. we travelled from calgay to vancouver in a rv for 3 weeks just lookin around. we loved the whole area so basically it will be the best place for us to get a job settle then if we like it we can stay or we can move on and try another town in bc

#juan
Colin

I live in Nanaimo, a small city with a population of about a hundred and forty thousand people on Vancouver Island. My own personal opinion is that there is no finer place to raise children.

Maybe if you told us what sort of work you are looking for, it would help us to suggest where might be the best place for you.

Cheers

colin n siobhan
hi and thanks for reply. at the moment i am a 7.5 tonne lorry driver and a chauffer, my partner is a care assistant. i am willing to retrain to obtain a job. i am thinking about taking my larger lorry licence and also my motorbike licence in the uk to help me when i arrive in canada

#juan
Here is a link to some job info.

http://tinyurl.com/6o7w4d

The want ads in the weekend Vancouver Sun might also be a good place to look.

Would you be looking to buy or rent accommodations?

colin n siobhan
thanks for the reply...i am looking to rent in canada. that way if we realise the area we were in was not for us then we could just move on and try another area.

Northboy
There may be a lot of jobs to consider in the northern parts of BC but you may need to get used to the climate.

Vancouver Island is a good bet due to similiar climates to what you're used to.

You'll probably be able to find a truck driving job in most locales, but most companies require what they call an abstract driving record, a kind of report card of you commercial driving habits. This being the case, you may be somewhat limited to driving jobs being available.

Mining is on the upswing again and pays well. Forestry is in the tank at this moment.
Oil and Gas exploration is slowing down in Fort St. John. (a little severe climatewise for the uninitiated)

In Between Man
Quote: Originally Posted by colin n siobhan View Post

thanks for the reply...i am looking to rent in canada. that way if we realise the area we were in was not for us then we could just move on and try another area.

If your looking to stay in BC, please consider fighting with your brothers to liberate the glorious nation of Cascadia from the evil clutches of the Canadian government. If you help, I promise to get your family back home all the dental care that they may need. They possibly may be able to move here once the revolution has succeeded to restoring calm and order.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by colin n siobhan View Post

hi and thanks for reply. at the moment i am a 7.5 tonne lorry driver and a chauffer, my partner is a care assistant. i am willing to retrain to obtain a job. i am thinking about taking my larger lorry licence and also my motorbike licence in the uk to help me when i arrive in canada

you'll have to learn to say "truck" instead of "lorry" I oved to alberta two years ago and from there to newfoundland a year after that. I love it here... good luck with the move