Question about moving.

gatoraco
I am trying to get away from a VERY abusive boyfriend, and I called one of the local shelters. They said that I should stay with them and they will help me get paperwork done, Is this a good idea? If so, I wanted to do this ASAP like late January (waiting on paychecks)

no1important
Quote: Originally Posted by gatoraco

I am trying to get away from a VERY abusive boyfriend, and I called one of the local shelters. They said that I should stay with them and they will help me get paperwork done, Is this a good idea? If so, I wanted to do this ASAP like late January (waiting on paychecks)

I would say in your situation- YES! I wish you good luck.

gatoraco
Thanks, I hope that other people in this forum also give me their thoughts...

zenfisher
The sooner you can get away from an abusive relationship the better. If its really bad. Don't wait. Remember it is only money...you can earn more.

Reverend Blair
Get to a shelter as soon as you can, then move north as fast as you can manage it, gatoraco.

Ocean Breeze
concur with above recomendations. Get to a shelter.ASAP and work with the staff at making sure you remain safe ...while making plans for the immediate future. Not a time for ambivilence.

gatoraco
Quote: Originally Posted by zenfisher

The sooner you can get away from an abusive relationship the better. If its really bad. Don't wait. Remember it is only money...you can earn more.

I totally understand, but I need to drive up there from Florida and it costs hotel and gas.. so i cant leave till i get a paycheck.

Summer
Get to a local shelter where you are and stay with them while you get the money together, then as soon as is humanly possible, get up to Canada and get settled.

Good luck to you in everything! And don't hesitate to ask questions, or to just stop in and let us know how you are doing.

gatoraco
Actually, I am going to a Canada shelter,,, already called up there.

GreenGreta
Good girl. I just hope he doesn't follow you.

Best of luck. Hey, they dont like pot smoking in Canadian shelters. A friend of mine was kicked out of one, cause she smoked.

Summer
So are you able to go there now, or do you still have to wait for paychecks? Because if you have to wait, go to a local one now... no sense in waiting around for him to kill you or maim you before you can leave for Canada.

Trust me.... I've been with abusive guys, I know how it works.

Ocean Breeze

Actually, I am going to a Canada shelter,,, already called up there.

good for you. How are you travelling to CA?? Wouldn't tell anyone where you are going......for now.

GOOD LUCK.........and maybe you will be here for a peaceful Xmas............

hoping for ya.

gatoraco
Going by car...once I am there, i will be back on here, leaving the 3rd of January from work with paycheck. Will take 19 hours plus hotel time.

gatoraco
I hope border patrol doesnt think I am weird when I get out and kiss the ground! LOL

Ocean Breeze

Going by car...once I am there, i will be back on here, leaving the 3rd of January from work with paycheck. Will take 19 hours plus hotel time.

19 hrs is not too bad. Sounds like you got things organized efficiently. In the meantime.......a low profile might be in order.

Let us know as soon as you can when you have" crossed over."

Gather you are bringing your computer with you....... but there are plenty of internet cafes to log on from..

Summer
And we'll be waiting to hear from you when you've crossed the border, so log on and let us know!

gatoraco
Definately bringing the puter! I got way too much info on it to leave it with Mister Nosey! Can you see me now crossing over with a desktop, saying,, oh, uh... I'm on vacation?

gatoraco
Can anyone give me a good list of what to bring to Toronto?

Summer
Warm clothing! And your ID, birth certificate, etc. (But you already know all that.)

Other than that, basically the same stuff you'd take anywhere.

I hope Mr. Nosey can't read anything on your computer right now. He could get really pissed off if he saw this thread, for example, and that could get ugly.

That's the whole reason I suggested using a local shelter until you leave for Toronto. Be safe!

Cosmo
Welcome Gatoraco! If you're moving there now, I'd suggest some long underwear and a toque! It's damn cold. You can send all your Florida type Hawaiian shirts to me since I live on Vancouver Island and it's still warm here.

Can't imagine giving up the sunshine for the frozen north, but good luck on the move!

Summer
Boots, with really good tread for walking in snow. Or at least really good leather sneakers.

gatoraco
Thanks! oh, and no he has no idea about this thread as I clear the cache every night. No flowery shirts here! Sorry,,, maybe my longboard? Well this all sounds great, say whats the weather there tonight??

Summer
Toronto weather

gatoraco
Oh, one question I had that I cant find is, when I say that I am just on vacation to the border people, how long am I allowed to stay (legally) when on "vacation"?

Summer

Oh, one question I had that I cant find is, when I say that I am just on vacation to the border people, how long am I allowed to stay (legally) when on "vacation"?

Six months.

Basically, if you want to avoid hassles, just tell them that you're going to be visiting for a week or two. Anything else can be handled by the people at the shelter who've said they will help you with the paperwork.

gatoraco
Sorry for the double post, my IE went out. Well its the same degrees here too! LOL (36)

Summer
Don't worry about the double, I deleted the extra one.

It's 36 freakin' degrees in FLORIDA?????

gatoraco
eww, ya that sounds good... 2 weeks. thanks talk to you guys again soon. (waiting on January 3rd paycheck) THANK GOD FOR DIRECT DEPOSIT!

gatoraco
YUP!!! in Gainesville...

Gainesville weather

(Edited to eliminate sidescroll.)

Ocean Breeze

eww, ya that sounds good... 2 weeks. thanks talk to you guys again soon. (waiting on January 3rd paycheck) THANK GOD FOR DIRECT DEPOSIT!

down to the wire now....
keep us posted as you can.......and we will look forward to hearing from you as soon as you "cross over"...

(if you decide to "worship" the new land you will be standing on.......just wait until you are well past them border patrol types....

MUCH LUCK........and in the mean time , Season's best..