PQ is threatening a third referendum.

Vancouverite
I wonder if this is just election talk - given the weakenss of their economy, they're in no position to drive away potential investors.

lone wolf
+1
Attention has been focused elsewhere. It's collection logic: Keep the attention focused on you or you come second.

Machjo
The PQ had better be careful. If you have too many such referendums, eventually people and perhaps even the Feds won't even pay attention to it, over time the turn out rate would drop. And in other news...

Ron in Regina
+3
#4  Top Rated Post
Do it....Don't do it...whatever...don't care anymore at this point.

mentalfloss
Say goodbye to the PQ.

Ron in Regina
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Say goodbye to the PQ.

I think the PQ will stay around in one form or another, as long as
it's beneficial to Quebec to have that entity as a threat. I just think
the card has been overplayed....and it's the Chicken Little thing at
this point....or maybe the Boy who cried Wolf....whatever.

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

I think the PQ will stay around in one form or another, as long as
it's beneficial to Quebec to have that entity as a threat. I just think
the card has been overplayed....and it's the Chicken Little thing at
this point....or maybe the Boy who cried Wolf....whatever.

When they go please ensure the door does not hit them on the arse on exit to a much smaller country.

L Gilbert
+1
Does anyone else really care about what referendums QC has? I am joining Ron in this ..... I don't care.

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

The PQ had better be careful. If you have too many such referendums, eventually people and perhaps even the Feds won't even pay attention to it, over time the turn out rate would drop. And in other news...

Agreed. They should just give up.

willqccan
+1
“If [the federal government] persists on building a Canada that denies the Quebec difference, we’ll ask them to get out of the way,” Mr. Drainville said.

As if he had that power lol.

B00Mer
Get're done.. but I think they will be surprised at how many people are tired of their attention whoring ways and may vote them out..

damngrumpy
+2
This is what happens when you become a one trick pony in a changing world.
The PQ are going to have a referendum again, This could prove to be a blow
they might not recover from in the long term. Support for independence is
down. The New Democrats have made inroads into the Province, all be it at
the Federal level. The problem for the PQ is people are embracing the political
left without having to be a separatist.
I can see the PQ winning an election but when they hold the referendum the will
lose and with that they could lose their relevance, within Quebec society. If the
people have a choice they will I believe support Federalism. If that happens the
Bloc would go down with the PQ, as people have a real choice, and that is one
positive reason why people should care about Quebec's future. If people have a
choice and they chose Federalism, the long recurring nightmare of referendums
might well be over.

Vancouverite
I think they should get 100% - everyone should boycott the next referendum, so the separatists can't get their mandate.

damngrumpy
In the Province of Quebec many people vote for the PQ without being separatists.
Its about left and right. Most who vote left vote PQ but that does not make them
separatists. How do we know that? The PQ win an election and call a referendum
and every-time it fails. That meas people support left of center politics but they still
remain Canadians.

taxslave
+1
We should fix their little wagon by having a vote in the rest of Canada to see if we want Quebec to remain in our country.

lone wolf
+2
Like, vote 'em off the island?

Machjo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by willqccan View Post

“If [the federal government] persists on building a Canada that denies the Quebec difference, we’ll ask them to get out of the way,” Mr. Drainville said.

As if he had that power lol.

Well in theory if a clear majority of Quebecers voted to secede, Canada would then have to negotiate a just secession.

My point though was that referendum after referendum will simply cause even some sovereigntists to lose interest, which would actually undermine the efforts of the sovereigntist camp. In short, while a successful referendum will give sovereigntists what they want, a failed referendum just dampens interest for the next one.

petros
It's up to the FNs of PQ and nobody else.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

You do have a good point here. Even if a majority voted to separate, there is still the issue of land treaties with the First Nations, compensation for the residential school system, not to mention the principle that if Quebec can separate from Canada, so can First Nations.

That could get interesting.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Oh no. They already been told they must do what the separatists want. Thats how democracy works in Quebec.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Oh no. They already been told they must do what the separatists want. Thats how democracy works in Quebec.

There's no way that would hold water. Even if Quebec had any sympathy internationally, that political capital would be obliterated the moment PQ starts playing double standards.

Unless PQ could entice the FN to join a sovereign Quebec, but then they might actually have to treat the FN as equals. Good luck finding agreement there.

Not that Canada's treated them any better, but then again this might be a good thing as PQ and Canada work at enticing the FN to stay with them.

taxslave

There's no way that would hold water. Even if Quebec had any sympathy internationally, that political capital would be obliterated the moment PQ starts playing double standards.

Unless PQ could entice the FN to join a sovereign Quebec, but then they might actually have to treat the FN as equals. Good luck finding agreement there.

Not that Canada's treated them any better, but then again this might be a good thing as PQ and Canada work at enticing the FN to stay with them.

I think it was around the last referendum one of the separatists told some natives around James Bay area that all of Quebec must leave as one. Quebec could not be divided.

willqccan
+2

Well in theory if a clear majority of Quebecers voted to secede, Canada would then have to negotiate a just secession.

Canada won't have to negatiate anything it doesn't want to. It's used to pointless french canadian rebellions.

The provincial elections will start tomorrow and I'm glad there is an english-speaking and openly federalist man that succeeded in doing a good job for all Quebeckers over the last years. Of course, the frustrating sovereignists will say the opposite, they are never happy with anything anyway.

I learned to get over it. Like Trudeau used to say: it's only a matter of seeing yourself as a Canadian citizen or as a victim, the choice is yours.

no color
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by willqccan View Post

The provincial elections will start tomorrow

I for one will not vote. As a right-of-center english speaker, there is no choice for me at this election (next month). I surely will not vote for the liberals as they continue to come up with new discriminatory laws against those of us who don't speak French. The latest is an option to press 9 when calling in regards to RAMQ related health services. After pressing 9 for English, the operator will now not switch over to English but will instead continue the conversation in French. The operator will now only switch to French after realizing that you don't understand a word he/she is saying. That is unacceptable since health services are guaranteed in English even in Quebec (yes, Lucien Bouchard added this guarantee).

I'll re-iterate .. I am staying home this time, and not voting.

Machjo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I think it was around the last referendum one of the separatists told some natives around James Bay area that all of Quebec must leave as one. Quebec could not be divided.

And thus the double standard. What's good for the gander as they say.

Quote: Originally Posted by no color View Post

I for one will not vote. As a right-of-center english speaker, there is no choice for me at this election (next month). I surely will not vote for the liberals as they continue to come up with new discriminatory laws against those of us who don't speak French. The latest is an option to press 9 when calling in regards to RAMQ related health services. After pressing 9 for English, the operator will now not switch over to English but will instead continue the conversation in French. The operator will now only switch to French after realizing that you don't understand a word he/she is saying. That is unacceptable since health services are guaranteed in English even in Quebec (yes, Lucien Bouchard added this guarantee).

I've always vote on principle, even if I had to hand in a blank ballot. I've even been tempted at times to write in the name of a person who was not on the ballot whom I'd vote for if they were. But on principle, you should vote. Just write in the name of a local citizen you would vote for.

Cabbagesandking

That would be illegal. Threaten Charest with an appeal to the UN Human Rights Commission. It is endangerment of life. Believe me, he would crumble just as the PQ did a generation when there seemed possibility that their barbarism would be exposed to a wide public.

taxslave
+1

You should still vote. A spoilt ballot is counted and anyone that don't vote don't have a right to bitch.
Funny how Turdo's bilingualism never applied to Quebec but only to Canada.

Ron in Regina