O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Do you have a problem with our anthems current lyrics:

Does the:

native reference
"sons command" reference
God reference

upset you?

I hope the lyrics NEVER change. I know this song by heart and I would not want it any other way.

RUEZ
I've often wondered in the age of political correctness why someone hasn't initiated taking God out of the anthem.

s243a
West did you come up with this or is someone actually proposing it? Obviously, I voted to keep it the way It is and I am someone you say, “rejects god”. But then I’m a non smoker who thinks people should be able to smoke in public places so I am pretty libertarian and pro freedom. Did you know you know the origin of political correctness was liberals making fun of them elves, saying that the politically correct liberals are following the Lenin party line?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

Andem
Free Thinker
I would reject the anthem if it was changed. The Canadian national anthem has been changed before (as reported by some people older than I) but the version you mentioned westman, with the exception of in all our sons command, which I know as in all thy sons command is the best version that I know. Canada, it's policies and it's culture was fine until it was invaded by third worlders*.

* Wiki article, as of 07:19 GMT - 01:00 correct figures.

westmanguy
yeah that wiki article is a nice read.

We let way to many immigrants in.

We see it in Quebec.

We see it all over Canada

Canadians fighting for their culture and heritage from immigrants coming in and wanting change.

s243a
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post

yeah that wiki article is a nice read.

We let way to many immigrants in.

We see it in Quebec.

We see it all over Canada

Canadians fighting for their culture and heritage from immigrants coming in and wanting change.

Is it really the immigrants that want to change the anthytum though? Or is it self hating people that are several generations Canadian? The western idea of religion involves the repenting of sin. Left wing political correctness is a reflection of the natural religious tendencies of humans.

westmanguy
Yeah, the immigrants are the pawn of the PC liberals.

s243a

Yeah, the immigrants are the pawn of the PC liberals.

Are we sure about that. Most immigrants are in the west and the west votes mostly CPC. Khan wasn’t much of a pawn of the liberals:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/...ct-070105.html

Dalreg
Yep good old politically correct crap pops up yet again.

sanctus

Official lyrics:
Here is a PC version I found on the web that made me nearly cry:

Do you have a problem with our anthems current lyrics:

Does the:

native reference
"sons command" reference
God reference

upset you?

I hope the lyrics NEVER change. I know this song by heart and I would not want it any other way.

Interesting that you even care West, considering your worship of all things American.

Be that what it may, this is such a non-issue. There are no plans to re-do the national anthem.

El Barto
West change the line....
From far and wide
to
Far from war

Daz_Hockey
Personally....I prefered your older one....God Save the queen

at least then I could sing it with my eyes closed!!

El Barto
Only if the Queen paid taxes here too.........lol
You want us to sing about you PAY UP .......lol

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by El Barto View Post

Only if the Queen paid taxes here too.........lol
You want us to sing about you PAY UP .......lol

how many taxes do you think she pays here? lol..........although even I'm louved to pay GST PST and HST......she's as much your queen as she's mine.............filthy German!!! lol

El Barto
ROTFL I'm not german but she is more then I'll ever be....lol
She's not my Queen . definately NOT looks to much like my X mother in-law. sheeesh
She's too uptight to be on the Canadian dollar

Curiosity
Canadian Culture - what is it?

I have watched over the years as bits and pieces of Canadiana are given away, altered, changed, deleted, amended, and generally apologetic mea culpas have ruled the nation which is trying to woo
newcomers to its vast lands when the newcomers are choosing Canada as it is.... not as it is 'trying to be'.

What has gone wrong is Canada's image of itself - its self worth and its self importance?

There is no need of change to suit those who have never experienced the Canadian way - all newcomers are invited to take part and join - why then would Canada feel the need to accommodate
through change?

It has puzzled me that the great proud nation feels unworthy to maintain its origins, traditions, and all of its original characteristics which has made it vital and successful on the world stage...

El Barto
+1
#17  Top Rated Post
IMO canada got a backbone when we dicided not to go to war in IRAQ.
Very good point.
Love that f-22 , such a guy thing to post lol

Daz_Hockey

IMO canada got a backbone when we dicided not to go to war in IRAQ.
Very good point.
Love that f-22 , such a guy thing to post lol

So true.......although I find the recent South Park piece about The queen, Britain and Canada planning to strategically strike and re-take the US very funny indeed.....the conclusion with the queen and the pistol to the temple was funny also........oh god...how AM I going to cope with being an Englishman in DC on the 4th of July....must wear something red!!!

Curiosity
ElBarto

Kinda sexy isn't it??? hee I thought it was an F18 - but what do I know anyhoo?

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey View Post

So true.......although I find the recent South Park piece about The queen, Britain and Canada planning to strategically strike and re-take the US very funny indeed.....the conclusion with the queen and the pistol to the temple was funny also........oh god...how AM I going to cope with being an Englishman in DC on the 4th of July....must wear something red!!!

NO NO NO a british flag shaped as a target on your back lol

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

ElBarto

Kinda sexy isn't it??? hee I thought it was an F18 - but what do I know anyhoo?

Wish we had those up here, have you ever heard of the ARROW project? Wouldn't interest girls tho. At one breif moment we were leaders in aeronaughtics here in canada, only to be out shined by an orbiting chrome sphere called sputnik.

Daz_Hockey

NO NO NO a british flag shaped as a target on your back lol

I'll wear an English Flag and see if anyone recogneises it!!....cus they sure as heck wernt fighting the scottish or irish!!....and you know what?...I'd place money that I could walk through their celebrations and not be chased for wearing an opposing and opressive flag!!!....

Back to the Canadian National Athem though...it's kinda like the "Quick Fit" (Car repair people) TV Ad's over here...it used to be "you cant get better than a quick fit better....were the boys to trust"...it was changed in about '92...I'm suprised they didnt change the anthem years ago.

El Barto
I'm not even shure if I know all the lyrics, I usually get my bear when they play it before the hockey game. So change it if you want I still won't remember it.

Curiosity
LOL thousands of sports fans singing different lyrics..... Hockey Nite in Canada ..... I remember every word ... funny when you learn something as a kid it stays around.... just not sure which version I remember now...

Daz_Hockey

I'm not even shure if I know all the lyrics, I usually get my bear when they play it before the hockey game. So change it if you want I still won't remember it.

EXACTLY....there's a whole 2 paragraphs of the British National anthem that NOBODY ever knows...or ever plays......apart from strangley the Japanese in the 2002 Football world cup...which made everyone in England rush online to see what the other 2 paragraphs were!!.

Now at least it's not THAT bad!!

El Barto
Canadian anthem should contain something about Hockey,Beer,Pamala Anderson and taxes

Curiosity
Avro ARROW

I remember my dad talking about that craft ... dug out history on it for readers here if they are interested... What a beautiful design....especially for the year it was introduced!

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-75-275/...gy/avro_arrow/

Curiosity

Canadian anthem should contain something about Hockey,Beer,Pamala Anderson and taxes

LOL.... AHEM NO CURLING?

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post

Avro ARROW

I remember my dad talking about that craft ... dug out history on it for readers here if they are interested... What a beautiful design....especially for the year it was introduced!

http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-75-275/...gy/avro_arrow/

Whats amazing is that it was so far ahead of its time, like force back joystick, programable coordinates. Man we missed the boat on that one thanks to Defenbacker

Daz_Hockey
God save our gracious Queen,1
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the Queen.
O Lord, our God, arise, Scatter her enemies, And make them fall. Confound their politics, Frustrate their knavish tricks, On Thee our hopes we fix, God save us all. Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen.

See, I've put in RED what people in England know of our national Anthem...the grey is the stuff that we were unaware of until Japan 2002!!!.....at least you pretty much now most lines in yours!!!.....althouh I kinda like a few bits I dont know lol!!