Archbishop of York puts back on his dog collar to end 10 year Mugabe protest

Blackleaf
+1
The Archbishop of York - second only to the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Church of England - has put back on his dog collar in an end to his ten-year protest over Mugabe.

In December 2007, John Sentamu appeared on the BBC's The Andrew Marr Show in which he took off his dog collar and vowed never to wear it again until Mugabe is gone.

This morning, on the same show, he put it back on...

Moving moment Archbishop John Sentamu puts his dog collar back on 10 YEARS after removing it in protest at Robert Mugabe

John Sentamu, the Archbishop of York, sounded a powerful warning over Zimbabwe's future as he made the deeply symbolic gesture on TV

By Dan Bloom, Political Reporter
26 November 2017
Daily Mirror

He cut it into pieces on The Andrew Marr Show in December 2007

An Archbishop has finally put his dog collar back on 10 YEARS after removing it in protest at Robert Mugabe's reign.

John Sentamu, the Archbishop of York, sounded a powerful warning over Zimbabwe's future as he made the deeply symbolic gesture on TV.

A decade ago he used the BBC's The Andrew Marr Show to chop his clerical collar, a key symbol of office widely nicknamed a 'dog collar', into little pieces with scissors.

At the time he said: "People there are starving. A lot of people are traumatised. Mugabe has taken people's identity and literally cut it to pieces and in the end there's nothing.

"From now on, I'm not going to wear a dog collar until Mugabe is gone."

In a powerful metaphor, Archbishop John Sentamu said he needed a new collar (Image: MarrShow/Twitter)

Neither his old collar nor Zimbabwe itself could be "stitched together", he said (Image: MarrShow/Twitter)

He added the protest was a daily reminder of Zimbabwe every time he got dressed (Image: MarrShow/Twitter)

John Sentamu ✔

@JohnSentamu

My Prayer #Zimbabwe today is:

“God Bless Zimbabwe ,Guard Her Children,Guide Her Leaders,especially Emmerson Mnangagwa,and Lead Her in the Way of Peace,Love,Truth,Justice ,Reconciliation,and The Rule of Law.Amen”

9:04 AM - Nov 24, 2017

12 Replies 66 Retweets 240 likes

The 93-year-old who had ruled Zimbabwe with an iron fist for 37 years was finally forced to resign last week.

There were celebrations in the streets, but warnings of factional infighting to come as he was replaced by senior Zanu-PF politician Emmerson 'Crocodile' Mnangagwa.

In today's interview, also with Mr Marr, Archbishop Sentamu, 68, finally restored his dog collar.

But as he was handed the pieces of the original collar he chopped up, he used it for a powerful metaphor on Zimbabwe's future.

He said: "I could attempt to put this one back. I could try to put them all together using superglue."

Told it would be a "ropey" collar, he replied: "I think the lesson for Zimbabwe is the same - they can't just try and stitch it up. Something radical, something new, needs to happen.

"I need a new collar."

Robert Mugabe was finally forced out last week after 37 years (Image: Getty)

There was jubilation on the streets of Harare after Mugabe bowed to pressure to quit (Image: REUTERS)

He has been replaced by Emmerson 'Crocodile' Mnangagwa (Image: EPA/REX/Shutterstock)

The Archbishop said he "heard a little voice" telling him to light a candle - and when it burned out, Mugabe would be gone.

Incredibly, he claimed, the candle burned out on November 14. A second candle then burned out on November 21 - the day Mugabe resigned.

He said the demonstration had been a daily reminder, telling the BBC: "When I wake up or dress up and am getting out of the house normally I tie the top button and put on my collar.

"But for nearly 10 years I haven't been able to put on my collar, and it has meant I remember Zimbabwe every day."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onk2R9U_hKc

Moving moment Archbishop John Sentamu puts his dog collar back on 10 YEARS after removing it in protest at Robert Mugabe - Mirror Online
Last edited by Blackleaf; Nov 26th, 2017 at 11:57 AM..

taxslave
Free Thinker
And we care because????

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
Quote:

John Sentamu, the Archbishop of York, sounded a powerful warning over Zimbabwe's future as he made the deeply symbolic gesture on TV.

A decade ago he used the BBC's The Andrew Marr Show to chop his clerical collar, a key symbol of office widely nicknamed a 'dog collar', into little pieces with scissors.

At the time he said: "People there are starving, a lot of people are traumatized. Mugabe has taken people's identity and literally cut it to pieces and in the end there's nothing.

(from the OP)

That's exactly what I have been saying the communists have been up too with things like the removal of statues and the destruction of ancient sites. But certain of the religions did the same as they spread, and so have the fascists too.

But mainly this is what is happening RIGHT NOW in the west, and how it results.

Here's what else is coming down the bail out chute as well:

Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe

Zimbabwe banknotes ranging from 10 dollars to 100 billion dollars printed within a one-year period.

The magnitude of the currency scalars signifies the extent of the hyperinflation.
Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe was a period of currency instability that began in the late 1990s shortly after the confiscation of private farms from landowners, towards the end of Zimbabwean involvement in the Second Congo War.

During the height of inflation from 2008 to 2009, it was difficult to measure Zimbabwe's hyperinflation because the government of Zimbabwe stopped filing official inflation statistics.

However, Zimbabwe's peak month of inflation is estimated at 79.6 billion percent in mid-November 2008.[1]
In 2009, Zimbabwe stopped printing its currency, with currencies from other countries being used.[2] In mid-2015, Zimbabwe announced plans to have completely switched to the United States dollar by the end of 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperi...on_in_Zimbabwe

justlooking
+2 / -2
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

And we care because????

Just more virtue signaling by a guy who was unable to accomplish anything.
10 year protest ?
Wow, he sure showed Bob who was boss.
Not

Walter
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

Just more virtue signaling by a guy who was unable to accomplish anything.
10 year protest ?
Wow, he sure showed Bob who was boss.
Not

What should he have done?