Non-protest zone outside PM Calgary office.

Cobalt_Kid
Apparently it's illegal somehow to protest outside Harper's Constituency office in Calgary.

Steve says shut up Canadians

Quote:

CALGARY — Along with a few eyebrows, a sign posted at a strip mall — home to Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s constituency office — is raising the ire of some social dissidents.

Attached to a wooden pole at the south entrance of the centre, the sign reads that the parking lot is “for use of customers while shopping in Glenmore Landing only” and that access “is limited to customers or those doing business with or visiting tenants.”

Both Harper and Calgary-Glenmore MLA Linda Johnson have their respective constituency offices at Glenmore Landing.

Citing municipal bylaw 41M2002 — actually a bylaw governing parking — the sign also says “political or public protesting or demonstrating, soliciting, use of loud speakers or other similar devices, pamphleteering, loitering, skateboarding is strictly prohibited.”

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+2
Is the sign on private land or public? It's private property. The owners can post whatever sign they wish, then.

Colpy
Conservative
+3 / -1
#3  Top Rated Post
Idiotic

The office is on private property.

In a mall, where people are trying to carry on business.

OF COURSE protesting is banned.

Stand one half inch off the property, and have at it.

Cobalt_Kid
Quote:

Citing municipal bylaw 41M2002 — actually a bylaw governing parking — the sign also says “political or public protesting or demonstrating, soliciting, use of loud speakers or other similar devices, pamphleteering, loitering, skateboarding is strictly prohibited.”

It's a bylaw governing parking not defining basic democratic rights.

If you're going to run for public office in this country then you should have the guts to face honest expression of voter opinion, not hide behind some BS misinterpretation of municipal by-laws.
Last edited by Cobalt_Kid; Mar 11th, 2013 at 05:23 PM..

CDNBear
Why is it only the sane understand that you can protest all you want, so long as you don't break the law (ie; trespassing) to do it?

Colpy
Conservative
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid View Post

It's a bylaw governing parking not defining basic democratic rights.

If you're going to run for public office in this country then you should have the guts to face honest expression of voter opinion, not hide behind some BS misinterpretation of municipal by-laws.

Trespassing is in the Criminal Code:
  • 41. (1) Every one who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling-house or real property, and every one lawfully assisting him or acting under his authority, is justified in using force to prevent any person from trespassing on the dwelling-house or real property, or to remove a trespasser therefrom, if he uses no more force than is necessary.
  • Marginal note:Assault by trespasser

(2) A trespasser who resists an attempt by a person who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling-house or real property, or a person lawfully assisting him or acting under his authority to prevent his entry or to remove him, shall be deemed to commit an assault without justification or provocation.

Cobalt_Kid
And it's cowardly for the PM to place his office in an area where protesters don't have free access to it, it defeats the point of having the right to protest...but then again we're talking about a party that doesn't seem to respect the right of people in opposition to it to freely vote.

CDNBear
+2

LOL, you actually think that's what the sign is about?

What's with you left wing extremists and not giving a shyte about common citizens trying to go about their day without you spoiled, self centered fascists impeding them?

Do have any idea how contradictory that behavior is?

And it's cowardly for the PM to place his office in an area where protesters don't have free access to it, it defeats the point of having the right to protest...

Which came first, his office or the sign?

Quote:

... but then again we're talking about a party that doesn't seem to respect the right of people in opposition to it to freely vote.

LOL, but it's OK for your ilk to interfere with the right to free movement of regular folk going about their day?

Hypocrite.

Cobalt_Kid
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Trespassing is in the Criminal Code:

• 41. (1) Every one who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling-house or real property, and every one lawfully assisting him or acting under his authority, is justified in using force to prevent any person from trespassing on the dwelling-house or real property, or to remove a trespasser therefrom, if he uses no more force than is necessary.
  • Marginal note:Assault by trespasser

(2) A trespasser who resists an attempt by a person who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling-house or real property, or a person lawfully assisting him or acting under his authority to prevent his entry or to remove him, shall be deemed to commit an assault without justification or provocation.

Then I'd really like to see those bastards who are trespassing on government benches in the House prosecuted.

This goes way beyond any local by-laws, it goes to the heart of whether or not we still have free and open government in this nation...or want it.

CDNBear

Then I'd really like to see those bastards who are trespassing on government benches in the House prosecuted.

This goes way beyond any local by-laws, it goes to the heart of whether or not we still have free and open government in this nation...or want it.

Cobalt_Kid
Quote: Originally Posted by cdnbear View Post

wtf?

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
There is no need to protest in the view of the Prime Minister he isn't listening anyway.
More and more I watch this government in particular the leader and slowly I am coming
to the conclusion he is not going to run again. Prime Ministers can become aggressive
they can be in your face and that is alright, but when they start to think they are a self
appointed King they start a downward trend and Harper has started the journey down
that road

CDNBear

wtf?

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

Prime Ministers can become aggressive
they can be in your face and that is alright, but when they start to think they are a self
appointed King they start a downward trend and Harper has started the journey down
that road

Cobalt_Kid
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

You haven't said anything yet, not relevant anyways.

CDNBear

You haven't said anything yet, not relevant anyways.

Of course it's not relevant to you.

Extremists don't understand reason.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+3

Go slowly Bear, there's nothing on tv tonight.

Cobalt_Kid
All I can say is enjoy your smugness now, Canadians are probably going to reward the last eight years of borderline fascism with a Trudeau government in the next election.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by slm View Post

go slowly bear, there's nothing on tv tonight.

+1000

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+2

Seems that you got all the foilers are all up in arms... You have a natural talent my friend.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Go slowly Bear, there's nothing on tv tonight.

New reality TV show... 'Nutters on Parade' or 'Foiler Idol'?

CDNBear
+1

All I can say is enjoy your smugness now, Canadians are probably going to reward the last eight years of borderline fascism with a Trudeau government in the next election.

You think the last 8 years were fascist? You should probably research what real fascism is, you weaken the meaning of it when you throw it around in such weak and idiotic ways.

Hell Trudeau pulled off more fascism in in one month than the Cons could in 12 terms.

Oh man you're funny Cobalt. I really missed your brand of nuttery.

Cobalt_Kid
Do you guys post anything of substance anymore or is it all just empty self-congratulatory nonsense like I'm seeing?

I guess this is what we get after eight years of avoiding reality under the conservatives, it's going to be a very painful wakeup for you in the next election.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+1

Very Angry Indeed - YouTube

CDNBear

Do you guys post anything of substance anymore or is it all just empty self-congratulatory nonsense like I'm seeing?

Stop reading your posts.

Quote:

I guess this is what we get after eight years of avoiding reality under the conservatives...

It's pretty weak to blame your current condition on the cons.

Quote:

... it's going to be a very painful wakeup for you in the next election.

Do you think it will hurt you much when you find out I'm a hippy?

Cobalt_Kid
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Very Angry Indeed - YouTube

Yah, I'm pretty sure this doesn't qualify as actual political debate.

Don't think we haven't noticed that you on the right really don't want to talk about the real issues.

CDNBear
+1

Yah, I'm pretty sure this doesn't qualify as actual political debate.

That's an excellent disclaimer for your posts, run with it.

Quote:

Don't think we haven't noticed that you on the right really don't want to talk about the real issues.

Given the fact that you can't recognize the criminal code, municipal code, or the right to go about ones business without being harassed by protesters, you don't know what a real issue is.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+2
I notice how you omitted the part of the article where his press secretary states (which makes it official by the way) that the PM's office actually agrees with you in principle.

Quote:

Harper’s press secretary, Andrew MacDougall, said his office was unaware of the sign.
“It seems strange to me,” he said.
“Protests happen, they’re a fact of life, and as long as people are respecting the laws, they have the right to be there.”

CDNBear
+1

I notice how you omitted the part of the article where his press secretary states (which makes it official by the way) that the PM's office actually agrees with you in principle.

Really?

You're sharing facts with an extremist?

SLM
No Party Affiliation

Really?

You're sharing facts with an extremist?

Rhetoric pisses me off.

Lol.

CDNBear
+2

Rhetoric pisses me off.

It makes me giddy.

But sometimes I get so excited I treat its purveyors like...

Classic Looney Tunes - YouTube

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Non-protest zone outside PM Calgary office.

Is he running an abortion clinic in there?