Tories way ahead....poll shows

dancing-loon
Stephen Harper's Conservatives have gained their strongest lead over the Liberals since first taking power in 2006, and have edged ahead in support on almost every key issue, according to a new Strategic Counsel poll.

"It's a cold shower for Liberal election plans," the Strategic Counsel's Peter Donolo told CTV.ca Wednesday.
When respondents were asked which party they would vote for, nearly 40 per cent said they would back the Conservatives (percentage-point change from a Jan. 10-13 poll in brackets):
  • Conservatives: 39 per cent (+3)
  • Liberals: 27 per cent (-3)
  • NDP: 12 per cent (same)
  • Green Party: 12 per cent (+2)
  • Bloc Quebecois: 10 per cent (-1)
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Top...l_story_080220

What makes the Tories so lovable?

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by dancing-loon View Post

What makes the Tories so lovable?

Ein grosser Schwanz.(German for 'well hung'.)

MikeyDB
I recieved a phone call yesterday (well last night to be more accurate) encouraging me to donate to the Conservative party...then join the party for a mere $35...for a five year membership!

What a bargoon!

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeyDB View Post

I recieved a phone call yesterday (well last night to be more accurate) encouraging me to donate to the Conservative party...then join the party for a mere $35...for a five year membership!

What a bargoon!

Somewhere in my archives, I have a card proclaiming ownership by the Liberal Party of Canada, one for membership to the federal New Democrats and one (paid for by the wannabe guy so he could get voted in by the riding accociation) for the Progressive Conservatives. Hell of it is, if I present all three, they and a buck thirty-five will get me a large double double at Timmies....

Woof!

Finder
Polls have rarely ever mattered. The only poll which does is the one on election day. Governments should care what the people think of them but they should also not be ruled by the polls. As you can see in this poll the NDP and the Green party both sky rocketed while both the PC's and Liberals stayed about the same.

What does it mean?

While whatever it means I can tell you it will change again by next week.

If I were Harper or Dion I would not force an election. Harper needs to prove to the average Canadian he isn't some red neck American lap dog who will take away our public health system and Dion has to show us he isn't an incompetent fool. Of course who has been the most successful in the public eye. I think Harper and Layton. Dion just isn't a good leader

Milko
Quote: Originally Posted by Finder View Post

Dion just isn't a good leader

+1

Liberals need to get new leadership if they plan to take the House anytime soon.

smac972
The liberals need an Obama.

"Harper needs to prove to the average Canadian he isn't some red neck American lap dog who will take away our public health system " ....

But Harper IS a redneck American lap dog who would love a private health system. My faith in fellow Canadians wept upon his election. And when I say "his" I mean "his election". The Conservatives are a one man show.

If Stephen Harper could slip George Bush the tongue, he'd be pregnant by now.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by smac972 View Post

The liberals need an Obama.

"Harper needs to prove to the average Canadian he isn't some red neck American lap dog who will take away our public health system " ....

But Harper IS a redneck American lap dog who would love a private health system. My faith in fellow Canadians wept upon his election. And when I say "his" I mean "his election". The Conservatives are a one man show.

If Stephen Harper could slip George Bush the tongue, he'd be pregnant by now.

The problem is the alternatives are much worse......"taliban" Jack and his lovely clan of Neville Chamberlain wannabes, or the Liberals, a fate worse than death.....the Nanny state gone mad, in love with China, gun control, and insulting our allies. Idiots all.

So, hold your nose and vote Conservative is the only choice.......

Ah, if only the old Reform Party had a majority....

BTW, the Conservatives are at LEAST as devoted to the ideals of medicare as the Liberals. Your post's claims against them on that subject are simply fear mongering. Period Full Stop.

There are lots of things to slam Hatrper for.........stick to reality, please.

Praxius
Free Thinker
Nah, I'll stick with the NDP... besides being way way off on their position on Afghanistan (Direct and immediate pullout..... something Bush's father should have done before it was too late) they've been pretty well bang on for where things should be. A lot more then the other parties, that's for sure.

Conservatives and their secretive US-style government.

Liberals with their slack ass leader and their continual stunts of not voting on things given to them (Walking out or not showing up.... DO YOU DAMN JOBS!)

Bloc Que. with their usual focus of Canada against them.

The lesser of all the evils to me is the NDP.

Honestly I'd like to see the entire governmental structure as we now know it dismantled / destroyed and make way for a new, updated with todays way of life, structure where we the people have much more say in what occurs in our country.... not the select few who can cut us the best deal they want us to have.

dancing-loon
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Nah, I'll stick with the NDP... besides being way way off on their position on Afghanistan (Direct and immediate pullout..... something Bush's father should have done before it was too late) they've been pretty well bang on for where things should be. A lot more then the other parties, that's for sure.

Conservatives and their secretive US-style government.

Liberals with their slack ass leader and their continual stunts of not voting on things given to them (Walking out or not showing up.... DO YOU DAMN JOBS!)

Bloc Que. with their usual focus of Canada against them.

The lesser of all the evils to me is the NDP.

Honestly I'd like to see the entire governmental structure as we now know it dismantled / destroyed and make way for a new, updated with todays way of life, structure where we the people have much more say in what occurs in our country.... not the select few who can cut us the best deal they want us to have.

Hi, Praxius;
I worry, if the NDP gets in we will have Sheila Copps back, probably as foreign minister!! I just wasn't much in favor of her, neither Bob Ray. He didn't do a good job when he was Ontario's Premier some years back. I remember seeing bumper stickers saying... "Don't hit me, Bob Ray already did!"

Do you remember, has there ever been a time when the leading federal party was NDP?

MikeyDB
The liklihood of any form of NDP party forming government at any level in Canada is remote. Both the Liberals and the Conservatives are exactly what Obama talks about when he makes reference to "olde style politics"....

That's code by the way, for "governments are about money first and nonsensical notions like freedom democracy and justice may be on the list of government issues but they're so far down the list they're invisible".

Money and the power accruing to the control of money is what western governments have been about and will remain what western governments will be about until the last Homo Sapiens takes his/her last breath.

Graeme

.... Both the Liberals and the Conservatives are exactly what Obama talks about when he makes reference to "olde style politics"....

That's code by the way, for "governments are about money first and nonsensical notions like freedom democracy and justice may be on the list of government issues but they're so far down the list they're invisible".

Money and the power accruing to the control of money is what western governments have been about and will remain what western governments will be about until the last Homo Sapiens takes his/her last breath.

That's pretty grim and very wrong. I know from first hand experience in both parties, that the people in the party do in general actually want what's best for the country both the conservatives and the liberals, I'll even go as far as to say the NDP, even though it seems the whole party is suffering from some collective form of Asperger's Syndrome.

The fact is that the only way to get to run the country in what you precieve as the best way -- is to make money...

As for saying Obama is somehow different... you're nuts, he is the most blatant abuser of a magical "nonsensical notion" message for the point of gaining funds and winning the primary. Obama has never really given any real plan, what he has said has been no different than Hillary. Open your eyes, Obama is no saviour of america, just wait till all the skeletons come out of his closet, he is already starting to get in trouble for certain things, like some questionable campaign contributions, and the republicans havn't even hunkered down and put there political war machine in action.

Back to Canada, this might sound a little strange to a lot of you more activisic types like the NDP. But most Conservative/Liberal polititions, more so most conservative polititions, don't grow up wanting to be in politics at least not as their main goal. First the become successful in what ever career they have chosen, then they take a huge pay cut, because they believe they could help the country by governing with their experience. Generally this means a pay cut.

now about your Money... and power over money or from money, what ever it is you say.... are you trying to suggest that this country should be run with no thought to money and no control of money...... That will be the day Canada becomes a thrid world country with no government.

Graeme
more about obama, for instance what about his grand standing over NAFTA in Ohio, which one of his top aides was quick to calm the fears of the Canadian ambassadors by saying don't worry about it, it's just politics.

The fact that there is a problem with the leak of that information is Obama's own fault, he should never have said it in the first place.... And as an american wouldn't you want to know that a candidate is saying things just to be elected, I say good on who ever leaked the info.... and if I were an american I would thank who ever it was for doing the right thing and coming fourth with political lies.

MikeyDB
And what would lead you to believe that Canada isn't a Banna Republic right now?

Try imposing a duty at the border with the United States for funding research into examining and monitoring goods funnelled into Canada through American corporations and see how long that lasts...

Try putting a fee on gas and petroleum pipelines that are pumping up the artificial fraud of gasoline prices at the gas pumps....see how that would fly....

We (Canada) have been sold down the river as far back as I can remember. Avro Arrow, water diversion plans from the forties and fifties..... Yes we've willingly accepted our role as the purveyors of lumber and minerals and "profited" by it imensely but to imagine for a moment that we could ever be "independent" of the United States is delusional.

Our process of "government" is entirely and expressly concerned with making sure that the rabble don't attend Trade Meetings by erecting wire fences and hiring riot cops to keep the people away....

Our "voice" isn't heard at all.......

And if you believe there isn't the voice of the next wannabe multi-billionaire controlling this government and the American government....what planet have you been away visiting for so long?

MikeyDB
I only mentioned Obama in passing, he's cast in the same mold as every other politician. It's a game Graeme you say to unemployed autoworkers that you'll fight to get them their thirty dollar an hour jobs back even though you know when people vote with their dollars it will be the cheap import (assembled in America...maybe) that they buy....

Carbon emissions in the atmosphere are what you'd champion to a university crowd along with lower tuition fees....

Etc. Etc.

If anything at least John McCain is honest enough to say that he thinks that we (America) should continue the big-stick policy of American imperialism...

And by the way, he will be the next president.

Colpy
Conservative

I only mentioned Obama in passing, he's cast in the same mold as every other politician. It's a game Graeme you say to unemployed autoworkers that you'll fight to get them their thirty dollar an hour jobs back even though you know when people vote with their dollars it will be the cheap import (assembled in America...maybe) that they buy....

Carbon emissions in the atmosphere are what you'd champion to a university crowd along with lower tuition fees....

Etc. Etc.

If anything at least John McCain is honest enough to say that he thinks that we (America) should continue the big-stick policy of American imperialism...

And by the way, he will be the next president.

I certainly hope so.