North American integration - second North American Forum

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Hotshot

Quote: Originally Posted by thomaska

It's only a matter of time before we take over and have you all saying "y'all" instead of "eh". Muahahahaha!

If you believe that, you are an idiot. Perhaps we should have kept yankeeland when we burned down the whitehouse during the war of 1812, EH??

It wasn't your call as evidenced by history. Or do you get all your history from Arrogant Worms?

Toro
You don't get the Arrogant Worms!

Look, its one thing to oppose free trade and all that, its quite another to say its going to be "the end of Canada." That's what the opponents of the FTA were saying in 1988. Shockingly, Canada is still around.

Gonzo
America doesn't want to take over Canada. Our biggest threat is not from the States. It's from our own government. We need to be careful as to what we allow our government to do, or who we elect. Canadians elected Mulroney twice, our worst PM ever! We have free trade because of him. The GST was to cover the money lost from duties we charged American companies at the border. So we pay taxes for American companies to sell to us. It's not Americas fault, it's ours because we elected Mulroney.

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by Gonzo

America doesn't want to take over Canada. Our biggest threat is not from the States. It's from our own government. We need to be careful as to what we allow our government to do, or who we elect. Canadians elected Mulroney twice, our worst PM ever! We have free trade because of him. The GST was to cover the money lost from duties we charged American companies at the border. So we pay taxes for American companies to sell to us. It's not Americas fault, it's ours because we elected Mulroney.

This is a perfect example of anti-American Leftist hogwash that has filtered into the Canadian psyche. This isn't Gonzo's fault per se because he/she is merely regurgitating the central Leftist theme of: Conservatives = American = bad = inaccurate facts

The GST did not replace duties on American goods. It replaced an excise tax on manufactured goods.

Quote:

The purpose of the national sales tax was to replace the 13.5% Manufacturers' Sales Tax (MST) that the federal government imposed at the wholesale level on manufactured goods. Manufacturers were concerned that the tax hurt their international competitiveness. The GST also replaced the Federal Telecommunications Tax of 11%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goods_and_Services_Tax_(Canada)

Also

http://www.canadianeconomy.gc.ca/Eng...y/1991gst.html

EDIT - though I will point out that Gonzo was gracious enough to point out its not America's fault.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Quote:

This is a perfect example of anti-American Leftist hogwash that has filtered into the Canadian psyche. This isn't Gonzo's fault per se because he/she is merely regurgitating the central Leftist theme of: Conservatives = American = bad = inaccurate facts

You've learned very well Toro. Anything that disagrees with the accepted American position is "leftist", and anti-American. Hogwash, I can say for a fact that Bush has been bad for the world in general.

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

Quote:

You've learned very well Toro. Anything that disagrees with the accepted American position is "leftist", and anti-American. Hogwash, I can say for a fact that Bush has been bad for the world in general.

You're being silly.

When I see Pat Buchanan criticizing the war in Iraq, I hardly think he's beong leftist and un-American.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Quote:

When I see Pat Buchanan criticizing the war in Iraq, I hardly think he's beong leftist and un-American.

You watch Pat Buchanan? The guy who wanted to assassinate Chavez? Buchanan is a looney. On the other hand, he has a lot of company.