represent your country

peapod
http://www.geographyolympics.com/challenge.php

bevvyd
I represented my country while playing Crazy Games in Mexico. It was one country against another. Canada didn't win however we did place a respectable 3rd.

And I didn't have to know anything about any other country. Just drink beer, swim like heck and drink more beer.

JDream
Liberal
hehe Netherlands on 6th I think I did my best, haha

Rick van Opbergen
90% correct. Go Netherlands, go Netherlands! (I even managed to locate the Marshall Islands, without cheating!)

Haggis McBagpipe
Ahhh, you Europeans are so far ahead of North Americans in both geography and current events, you really are, you put us all to shame!

Rick van Opbergen
Well actually the Netherlands is doing so well it seems, so there goes your theory

Haggis McBagpipe
I have always found, on a personal level, that Europeans keep far more on top of current events than North Americans. Sometimes I am astounded at the depth of their understanding of world events. That big old ocean keeping North America from the rest of the world seems to keep us awfully well insulated from world information.

Rick van Opbergen
Not to take away the image you have of Europeans, but I always get the feeling North Americans give us too much credit when it comes to things like these. I honestly believe that the average geographical knowledge of Europeans is the same as the average North American (and this is not out of modesty that I say this).

LadyC
Well, we could always say we're from the Netherlands, get all the answers wrong, and skew the results.....

Rick van Opbergen
Yes that's possible .... HEY!

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Rick van Opbergen

I always get the feeling North Americans give us too much credit when it comes to things like these. I honestly believe that the average geographical knowledge of Europeans is the same as the average North American (and this is not out of modesty that I say this).

Perhaps you are right, I think I've just met too many Americans who think it becomes snowy and cold as soon as you cross the border into Canada, and too many Canadians who have asked, when they discover that our daughter was born in New Mexico, "Oh, whereabouts in Mexico is that?" 8-)

Haggis McBagpipe
Whoa, 'way cool idea, Lady C!!

Andem
Free Thinker
Hrmmm, I got an 8/10 but it's not letting me represent my country.. It said I've already done the quiz and to come back later.

Blah! How unfair.

Probably the Rogers proxy in my area.

Rick van Opbergen
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

Perhaps you are right, I think I've just met too many Americans who think it becomes snowy and cold as soon as you cross the border into Canada, and too many Canadians who have asked, when they discover that our daughter was born in New Mexico, "Oh, whereabouts in Mexico is that?"

And you don't think we have those people here too? I remember that there used to be a programm on the TV called "De Vakantieman" (The Vacationman). In that programm they always went to a foreign land in search for Dutch tourists. When they had found some Dutch tourists, they always asked them to point out the Netherlands on the map. You really don't want to know how many people could not find their homecountry

Haggis McBagpipe
!!! Are you serious, Rick? Yeah, I guess you are... but man, you are really killing my exalted view of you Europeans! 8-)

LadyC
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis

...and too many Canadians who have asked, when they discover that our daughter was born in New Mexico, "Oh, whereabouts in Mexico is that?"

Just roll your eyes and say, "D'uh... the new part."
It helps to say it with attitude.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyC

Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis

...and too many Canadians who have asked, when they discover that our daughter was born in New Mexico, "Oh, whereabouts in Mexico is that?" 8-)

Just roll your eyes and say, "D'uh... the new part."
It helps to say it with attitude.

Holy crap, you're really good, Lady C. Now I'm actually looking forward to the next person who asks. 8-) Maybe I'll even bait 'em.

Rick van Opbergen
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

... man, you are really killing my exalted view of you Europeans!

I mean: just kidding! But seriously: we are just normal people, with the same basic knowledge (except we know a lot of Dutch history and geography )

Haggis McBagpipe

(except we know a lot of Dutch history and geography :wink: )

Oh sure, it's just the NETHERLANDS geography that gets you stuck! 8-)

Rick van Opbergen
Haha of course. I mean: 90% of the Dutch know the capital of Palau, that's just common knowledge (...) Not in Canada you say? So then what DO they teach you during Geography lessons?!

Haggis McBagpipe

Haha of course. I mean: 90% of the Dutch know the capital of Palau, that's just common knowledge (...) Not in Canada you say? So then what DO they teach you during Geography lessons?!

We're just so busy learning and agonizing about the economic conditions in Guinea-Bissau to even THINK about the capital of Palau. 8-) 8-)

Rick van Opbergen
Good one

Diamond Sun
Wow. It asked me to find countries I've never even heard of, never mind could find on a map....somewhere in Africa!

bogie
70% - Gotta take another look at the global map and study a bit.
At least I brought up Canada's score by .01% !

You think you know where everything is, but looking at all those countries, especially the Pacific island ones, can get mind-boggling! Close only counts in horseshoes.

eastcoastrob
Just to add a little fuel to the fire for the debate that Euros are smarter than North Americans. I got 'em all wrong! Now I'm gonna have to ground myself! I'm such a hardass