Muslim sues after being forced to attend Christian church service


tay
#1
A Muslim woman who says she was forced to attend Christian church services during a 60-day jail stint in Cleveland on an assault charge has sued the county.


Sakeena Majeed said in a federal lawsuit filed Thursday that a correction officer made her and other Cuyahoga County jail inmates attend Friday afternoon services led by a Baptist minister. She alleged that she was threatened with solitary confinement if she did not attend and that another correction officer mocked her when she refused to actively participate.


“That should be offensive to anybody, no matter what your religion is,” said her attorney Matthew Besser, who filed the lawsuit. “The government can’t tell you what god to pray to or to pray at all.”


Majeed’s lawsuit seeks unspecified damages. A county prosecutor’s spokesman, Joe Frolik, declined to comment about it on Friday.


Forcing someone to attend a church service against his or her will is a clear violation of the constitutional right to freedom of religion, a right that is not lost when someone is incarcerated, Besser said. Majeed primarily wants to bring the jail’s practice to light and to prevent what she experienced from happening to others, he said.


"She grew up in Kansas, and she’s American as apple pie,” Besser said




Muslim woman sues county jail after being forced to attend Christian church service | US news | The Guardian
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#2
Church should be optional in prison.
 
WLDB
+1
#3
If she was forced I imagine she'll win. This sort of thing shouldnt happen.
 
Nuggler
#4
Maybe she and the "correctional officer" have it rigged to split the cash.

An American as apple pie Muslim. Bit of an oxymoron, no ?
 
Ludlow
+1
#5
nuthin worse than a sewer
 
WLDB
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

An American as apple pie Muslim. Bit of an oxymoron, no ?

Not at all.
 
Nuggler
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Not at all.

Mehhhhh......your opinion. My opinion. Don't mean squat.
 
gerryh
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Maybe she and the "correctional officer" have it rigged to split the cash.

An American as apple pie Muslim. Bit of an oxymoron, no ?




No, an oxymoron would be nuggler and brains used in the same sentence.

Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Mehhhhh......your opinion. My opinion. Don't mean squat.




At least your opinion doesn't. You would need a small amount of working brain cells to have an opinion that mattered.
 
gopher
+3
#9  Top Rated Post
Freedom of religion includes freedom from religion. If these reports are accurate and she can prove emotional damages, she will have an actionable case against the state.
 
Cannuck
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You would need a small amount of working brain cells to have an opinion that mattered.

That's probably why you think yours matters.
 
BaalsTears
#11
She's not an American. Besides, she should have welcomed baptism.
 
Nuggler
+2
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

No, an oxymoron would be nuggler and brains used in the same sentence.






At least your opinion doesn't. You would need a small amount of working brain cells to have an opinion that mattered.


Poor little zealot. Troll on.
 
MHz
#13
I'm surprised Colpy hasn't seen the possibility for this being a gold-mine for him should he get within a block of a Muslim house of Worship. Actually he could be the head of a class action suit.

Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Poor little zealot. Troll on.

Poor little angry zealot. If you don't have one around it is hard to point out just what their characteristics are. You should see the **** stains he left on the Palestine thread. 165 Nations are wrong and he and the US and Israel are the only right ones in the room. Probably better we contain him or we could be sued for letting him loose without giving fair warning.
I'm also thinking that ratio is standard for the creep on any/all issues.
 
captain morgan
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Freedom of religion includes freedom from religion. If these reports are accurate and she can prove emotional damages, she will have an actionable case against the state.

I was always lead to believe that being incarcerated meant a cessation of your rights.

PS - I'm really interested to see the dollar value attached to that extreme mental anguish
 
petros
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I was always lead to believe that being incarcerated meant a cessation of your rights.

PS - I'm really interested to see the dollar value attached to that extreme mental anguish

Nope. Not all. Just some like voting.
 
Cannuck
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

I was always lead to believe that being incarcerated meant a cessation of your rights.

PS - I'm really interested to see the dollar value attached to that extreme mental anguish

Mental anguish has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned. Punitive cost should be considerable.
 
captain morgan
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Nope. Not all. Just some like voting.

... And your actual Freedom.
 
Blackleaf
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

If she was forced I imagine she'll win. This sort of thing shouldnt happen.

Unless you're a Christian and you're forced to go to a mosque to attend an Islamic service. If you decide not to go to the Muslim service because you're a Christian then you're either expelled from school or sacked from your job.
 
Cannuck
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Unless you're a Christian and you're forced to go to a mosque to attend an Islamic service. If you decide not to go to the Muslim service because you're a Christian then you're either expelled from school or sacked from your job.

Don't be so silly.
 
MHz
#20
How is that different than 2 weeks with Shin Bet if you catch Jerusalem Syndrome while in, you guessed it, Jerusalem?
 
petros
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

... And your actual Freedom.

In Canada we can't make someone work while in the pokey. I wish it weren't like that. It's a good opportunity for the keepers of the earth to gain trade or admin skills.
Last edited by petros; Dec 21st, 2014 at 11:05 AM..
 
DaSleeper
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Don't be so silly.

Your overused and boring favorite term....

Good morning Putz.......
 
Cannuck
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Your overused and boring.....

If you find my posts boring, you could always not read or respond to them (of course, you and I know that you're infatuated with me...almost as much as Petros)
Last edited by Cannuck; Dec 21st, 2014 at 11:07 AM..
 
petros
#24
Putz..
 
Blackleaf
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Don't be so silly.


In Britain, schoolchildren (even those attending Church of England or Catholic schools) are forced by their schools to go to mosques and partake in Muslim worship (and it's always mosques. They're never forced to go to a synagogue or a Hindu temple). If some of the schoolchildren or their parents object to this for whatever reason (usually because the children aren't even Muslims) the schools threaten to suspend the pupils concerned or fine their parents. The schools say children must go on these trips to their local mosque to help them - in traditional PC speak - "understand other cultures and religions" etc etc etc. And even when these Christian pupils aren't being forced to worship Allah in the local mosque they are instead subjected to having a school assembly in which they are given a speech by the imam from the local mosque.

And yet the opposite never happens. I'm sure the hijab-wearing pupils at Bolton Muslim Girls School round the corner from where I live are never forced by their school to attend church services to help them "understand other cultures and religions" or are given a school assembly in which they are forced to listen to a speech by the C of E vicar from the local parish church.

Basically, Christians are forced to attend Muslim worship at a mosques to help them "better understand other faiths and cultures", yet when Muslims are forced to attend Christian worship at churches we get told that "they shouldn't be forced to do this" and they are allowed to sue.
 
Cannuck
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

In Britain, schoolchildren (even those attending Church of England or Catholic schools) are forced by their schools to go to mosques and partake in Muslim worship (and it's always mosques. They're never forced to go to a synagogue or a Hindu temple). If some of the schoolchildren or their parents object to this for whatever reason (usually because the children aren't even Muslims) the schools threaten to suspend the pupils concerned or fine their parents. The schools say children must go on these trips to their local mosque to help them - in traditional PC speak - "understand other cultures and religions" etc etc etc. And even when these Christian pupils aren't being forced to worship Allah in the local mosques they are instead subjected to having a school assembly in which they are given a speech by the imam from the local mosque.

And yet the opposite never happens. I'm sure the hijab-wearing pupils at Bolton Muslim Girls School round the corner from where I live are never forced by their school to attend church services to help them "understand other cultures and religions" or are given a school assembly in which they are forced to listen to a speech by the C of E vicar from the local parish church.

Basically, Christians are forced to attend Muslim worship at a mosques to help them "better understand other faiths and cultures", yet when Muslims are forced to attend Christian worship at churches we get told that "they shouldn't be forced to do this" and they are allowed to sue.

I don't give a **** about Brittain. It's a silly place.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I don't give a **** about Brittain. It's a silly place.

Still stuck on silly? Putz?
 
Blackleaf
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I don't give a **** about Brittain.
.


Well, I do.
 
Cannuck
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Still stuck on silly?

Your infatuation with me, while completely understandable is somewhat creepy. Have you considered some type of counselling ?
Last edited by Cannuck; Dec 21st, 2014 at 11:34 AM..
 
gerryh
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

In Britain, schoolchildren (even those attending Church of England or Catholic schools) are forced by their schools to go to mosques and partake in Muslim worship (and it's always mosques. They're never forced to go to a synagogue or a Hindu temple). If some of the schoolchildren or their parents object to this for whatever reason (usually because the children aren't even Muslims) the schools threaten to suspend the pupils concerned or fine their parents. The schools say children must go on these trips to their local mosque to help them - in traditional PC speak - "understand other cultures and religions" etc etc etc. And even when these Christian pupils aren't being forced to worship Allah in the local mosque they are instead subjected to having a school assembly in which they are given a speech by the imam from the local mosque.

And yet the opposite never happens. I'm sure the hijab-wearing pupils at Bolton Muslim Girls School round the corner from where I live are never forced by their school to attend church services to help them "understand other cultures and religions" or are given a school assembly in which they are forced to listen to a speech by the C of E vicar from the local parish church.

Basically, Christians are forced to attend Muslim worship at a mosques to help them "better understand other faiths and cultures", yet when Muslims are forced to attend Christian worship at churches we get told that "they shouldn't be forced to do this" and they are allowed to sue.





IF that is true, it's your own fault. Sucks to be you.
 

Similar Threads

8
The Muslim and the Christian world…
by Socrates the Greek | Mar 27th, 2010
0
Christian and Muslim Murderers in Nigeria
by Researcher87 | Oct 25th, 2006