Canadian crime statistics

JLM
So we compare crime stats in two jurisdictions and find one is higher than the other. What does that prove? Could it be that there are more policemen in one? Could it mean one has tougher judges or more corrupt lawyers? Could it mean that some jurisdictions are tougher at enforcing the laws than others? Does it mean one area has more criminals? Maybe the laws are interpretted a little differently. Are the same people collecting the stats in the two jurisdictions with the same set of criteria? Does anyone have a viable answer?

Ron in Regina
My bad Man. I was just getting tired of the continual slagging of Western Canada.
I just wanted to have the slagging backed up with real facts, and not just the same
old, "I've said it often enough, so it must be true" routine. That's all. JLM, Thank You.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

My bad Man. I was just getting tired of the continual slagging of Western Canada.
I just wanted to have the slagging backed up with real facts, and not just the same
old, "I've said it often enough, so it must be true" routine. That's all. JLM, Thank You.

My sentiments exactly.........

wulfie68
Well guys, I know from other forums and my modest time here that there are people who will always make massive assumptions about where other people live and pass judgement on the place and those who live there, just to feel superior. They care not about their own ignorance, they don't want to look objectively at the pros and cons of their own situation. It does get to a person at times but in the end you have to consider the source.

It doesn't matter if its about crime, the level of education of a population, or the number of people with warts on their noses, there are people from various parts of the country who refuse to acknowledge information that flies counter to their desire of how they wish to view the world.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68 View Post

Well guys, I know from other forums and my modest time here that there are people who will always make massive assumptions about where other people live and pass judgement on the place and those who live there, just to feel superior. They care not about their own ignorance, they don't want to look objectively at the pros and cons of their own situation. It does get to a person at times but in the end you have to consider the source.

It doesn't matter if its about crime, the level of education of a population, or the number of people with warts on their noses, there are people from various parts of the country who refuse to acknowledge information that flies counter to their desire of how they wish to view the world.

Yep, I find that there is often a direct correlation between how sophisticated people think they are and how ignorant they are.

TenPenny
99-44/100 of what was posted is bull****, to quote an expert.

TenPenny
Of the six cities with higher-than-average gun crime, 5 are in the top 6 cities by population...the only exception is Winnipeg (no 8 on population).

In other words, the issue is not being a western city, it's being a big city. The only big city with lower gun crime is Ottawa, and that's likely because the crooks in Ottawa simply take our money through taxes.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

99-44/100 of what was posted is bull****, to quote an expert.

Someone p*ss in your corn flakes this morning?

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Someone p*ss in your corn flakes this morning?

At least you caught the joke!

Happy Ides of March!

AnnaG

So we compare crime stats in two jurisdictions and find one is higher than the other. What does that prove? Could it be that there are more policemen in one? Could it mean one has tougher judges or more corrupt lawyers? Could it mean that some jurisdictions are tougher at enforcing the laws than others? Does it mean one area has more criminals? Maybe the laws are interpretted a little differently. Are the same people collecting the stats in the two jurisdictions with the same set of criteria? Does anyone have a viable answer?

Like I and hubby said a long time ago about statistics, it depends upon how you define what you want to indicate. Read the fine print under statistics tables. Read what the study says about what "results" of the study.
I have a stat for you: 3. Understand? No? I am not surprised.
Now I'll explain what the stat indicates. It is the number of times I swirled the spoon in my cup of tea to mix the tea and milk.

janbebe42
My brother is a history and politics prof and has done research on immigration over the centuries and gangs. Canada now has more gangs per capita than any other country in the world. (over 900 to be exact). This is a direct result of massive immigration since 1990. THe worst gangs are the asian triads in vancouver but they tend to target their OWN people. One must not forget that the LIBERAL party is also a gang working with all these gangs and secret deals are going on behind closed doors with money and handshakes. No wonder so many people want to leave canada now!!!!!!!!!!!! Ottawa is the latest city to be turning bad with gangs taking over everything, even the construction industry. You cannot even wait for a bus at night now in ottawa as gangs are targeting people who wait alone at bus stops. There is also alot of black on white crime that the media does not report- particularly home invasions. Just check the Ottawa sun since xmas for details on this, its almost reported daily in the paper.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by janbebe42 View Post

My brother is a history and politics prof and has done research on immigration over the centuries and gangs. Canada now has more gangs per capita than any other country in the world. (over 900 to be exact). This is a direct result of massive immigration since 1990. THe worst gangs are the asian triads in vancouver but they tend to target their OWN people. One must not forget that the LIBERAL party is also a gang working with all these gangs and secret deals are going on behind closed doors with money and handshakes. No wonder so many people want to leave canada now!!!!!!!!!!!! Ottawa is the latest city to be turning bad with gangs taking over everything, even the construction industry. You cannot even wait for a bus at night now in ottawa as gangs are targeting people who wait alone at bus stops. There is also alot of black on white crime that the media does not report- particularly home invasions. Just check the Ottawa sun since xmas for details on this, its almost reported daily in the paper.

That's what happens in a country where the bureaucracy doesn't care who gets in or leaves. The CIC has been a joke for decades.

Colpy
Causes of variations in crime rates???

Wow, now there is a huge subject....

Most important amongst the demographic factors is age.......the more young men around, the higher the crime rate.....

Secondly, cultural aspects.......fatherless boys.....a culture of silence........a distrust of authority.......all aspects of different cultures that create a fertile environment for criminal activity..... so yes, large immigrant populations and the existence of sub-cultures in our society creates a dangerous atmosphere...

Thirdly....poverty......with the all too common themes of desperation, unemployment, boredom, drugs or alcohol abuse, lack of education, and simply no stake in the larger peaceful society....nothing to lose.

All that rolled into one, however, still leaves Canada an amazingly peaceful and crime-free environment.

The push from the Conservatives against non-existent crime waves is one of the things that irritates me most.........

Oh, BTW, guns have nothing to do with the subject.

(just thought I'd throw that in)

SirJosephPorter

These statistics have real consequences JLM, much as you may not like it. That became clear to me when my son was interviewing for the residency programs.

In the matching that my son participated, eight Internal Medicine posts in Saskatoon went unfilled. That was half the posts. The reason? Nobody from Ontario wants to go there, due to the high crime rate in Saskatoon.

My son was nervous about going to Winnipeg or Saskatoon (though he would have gone if he had been matched). He was glad he was matched to London.

We know a couple, their son is even smarter than our son. After he came back from interviews at Winnipeg and Saskatoon, he told me that he is not going there, even if he does not get Internal Medicine residency. The high crime rate, combined with intense cold, convinced him. He told me he did not rank Winnipeg or Saskatoon at all, so there was no question of his being matched there. As it turned out, he got residency in the best program in Canada, Toronto (Toronto did not even interview my son).

My son told me that he felt sorry for the head of Saskatoon program, he told me that he came across as quite a nice guy.

So high crime statistics do have consequences. If an area becomes infamous as a high crime area, people tend not to go there.

YukonJack
I know that in Canada publishing crimes by the perpetrators' ethnicity is TOTALLY politically incorrect. Moreover, I am fully aware that I will get all kinds of grief for just mentioning it.

However, I can't help wondering.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

These statistics have real consequences JLM, much as you may not like it. That became clear to me when my son was interviewing for the residency programs.

In the matching that my son participated, eight Internal Medicine posts in Saskatoon went unfilled. That was half the posts. The reason? Nobody from Ontario wants to go there, due to the high crime rate in Saskatoon.

My son was nervous about going to Winnipeg or Saskatoon (though he would have gone if he had been matched). He was glad he was matched to London.

We know a couple, their son is even smarter than our son. After he came back from interviews at Winnipeg and Saskatoon, he told me that he is not going there, even if he does not get Internal Medicine residency. The high crime rate, combined with intense cold, convinced him. He told me he did not rank Winnipeg or Saskatoon at all, so there was no question of his being matched there. As it turned out, he got residency in the best program in Canada, Toronto (Toronto did not even interview my son).

My son told me that he felt sorry for the head of Saskatoon program, he told me that he came across as quite a nice guy.

So high crime statistics do have consequences. If an area becomes infamous as a high crime area, people tend not to go there.

Sounds like a tempest in a teapot to me. Here's the scenario as I see it (and I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong) Criminal rate across Canada is let's say 2%, so in Saskatoon it's probably like 2.3% I'll bet my bottom dollar the vast majority of people your son would be likely to encounter are upstanding, honest, hard working citizens.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

I know that in Canada publishing crimes by the perpetrators' ethnicity is TOTALLY politically incorrect. Moreover, I am fully aware that I will get all kinds of grief for just mentioning it.

However, I can't help wondering.

I beg to differ, quite often I hear on the news that the suspect is Native, or Asian or Black but generally Caucasian. Hardly a month goes by that you don't hear some news about the goings on of the Mafia (Sicillian).

SirJosephPorter

Sounds like a tempest in a teapot to me. Here's the scenario as I see it (and I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong) Criminal rate across Canada is let's say 2%, so in Saskatoon it's probably like 2.3% I'll bet my bottom dollar the vast majority of people your son would be likely to encounter are upstanding, honest, hard working citizens.

You may be right, I don't know. I have never been to Saskatoon. However, Saskatoon has reputation as a high crime area and it doesn't do it any good. People here in Ontario look at crime statistics and consider Saskatoon, Winnipeg as places to stay away from. And sometimes that ends up hurting those places. Half the Internal Medicine positions unfilled doesn't do health care system in Saskatoon any good. They can only hope that they can fill up the posts with foreign doctors.

Bar Sinister
Just thought I'd toss these figures into the thread. Annoying I know as they seem to contradict some of the alarmist posts.
General crime stats:
The Daily, Tuesday, July 21, 2009. Police-reported crime statistics

Murders: I wonder what is wrong with Port Coquitlam?
The Most Dangerous Cities in Canada: Murder rate - Canada - Macleans.ca

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Just thought I'd toss these figures into the thread. Annoying I know as they seem to contradict some of the alarmist posts.
General crime stats:
The Daily, Tuesday, July 21, 2009. Police-reported crime statistics

Murders: I wonder what is wrong with Port Coquitlam?
The Most Dangerous Cities in Canada: Murder rate - Canada - Macleans.ca

It has been well known Bar, that crime has been on the decrease for many years now. Conservatives and their supporters hype up the issue of crime because they want to get votes, it is a political ploy, nothing more. Also, some of them want to bring back death penalty. So it is in their interest to inflate the crime hysteria, to whip up the citizens so they can vote Conservative at the election.

In another thread I posted a detailed report outlining the achievements of the Liberal rule from 1993 to 2005. One of the many achievements was that crime rate fell dramatically during the Liberal rule.

And there almost seems to be a direct correlation, doesn’t it? As you move from east to west, crime goes on increasing.

As to Port Coquitlam, it has been the murder capital of Canada for quite a while now.

Bar Sinister
Actually Sir Joseph, I don't think you can give the Liberals too much credit on this one. To a large extent crime is demographic and economic. Canada's population is aging and older people tend to commit fewer crimes. You might note that there are more young people in Western Canada as well as larger numbers of people of Aboriginal origin. Unfortunately, these two groups tend to have higher crime rates. Giving Liberals credit for lower crime rates would be equivalent to blaming the NDP governments of Saskatchewan and Manitoba for their higher crime rates and since NDP policies tend to be more liberal than those of the Liberals it seems a bit contradictory.

SirJosephPorter
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Actually Sir Joseph, I don't think you can give the Liberals too much credit on this one. To a large extent crime is demographic and economic. Canada's population is aging and older people tend to commit fewer crimes. You might note that there are more young people in Western Canada as well as larger numbers of people of Aboriginal origin. Unfortunately, these two groups tend to have higher crime rates. Giving Liberals credit for lower crime rates would be equivalent to blaming the NDP governments of Saskatchewan and Manitoba for their higher crime rates and since NDP policies tend to be more liberal than those of the Liberals it seems a bit contradictory.

No doubt there were several factors which contributed to the low crime rate. As you rightly point out, demographics probably was important, people are getting too old to commit crimes.

However, in a simplistic way, people give credit or the blame to the government in power. And I wouldn’t blame NDP governments in SK or Manitoba for anything. While crime rate in Saskatchewan and Manitoba is high, it is falling, same as everywhere in Canada. So if NDP inherited high crime rate and it is going down (if still high compared to rest of Canada), NDP can hardly be blamed for that. If anything, it gets the credit for lower crime rate.