Blacks and crime


Avro
#1
Why does it seem that the majority of crime is commited by blacks?

Is it a problem with media and how they report the news or is it a fact that most crime and violence is commited by blacks?

I'm not sure but every itme I turn on the news or read about crime in the paper it seems to be mostly blacks involved.

Am I wrong?
 
Ron in Regina
#2
I guess that impression would depend on your own personal bias & location.
People of African ancestry are thin on the ground out here on the Prairies, so
that impression isn't valid out here. It's still kind of a novelty to even see the
folks you're describing, let alone anything beyond that.
 
Avro
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

I guess that impression would depend on your own personal bias & location.
People of African ancestry are thin on the ground out here on the Prairies, so
that impression isn't valid out here. It's still kind of a novelty to even see the
folks you're describing, let alone anything beyond that.

That could have been said about southern Ontario 20 years ago, yet as the population changes so does those involved with crime. I know in this area it seems to be mostly black and as it edges closer to home that stat seems to rise.

Of course that same thing can be attributed to poverty, I'd like to think that skin color has nothing to do with it, but.....?
 
Ron in Regina
#4
I think you're onto something with the "poverty" angle. What you seem to
be observing will change with the demographics of the various locations
across the country.

The GTA see something different than Vancouver, which'll see something
different again than a Prairie city, which'll see something different again
than someone on the East Coast, etc...and then there are the differences
in the Urban to Rural perspectives...
 
Risus
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Why does it seem that the majority of crime is commited by blacks?

Is it a problem with media and how they report the news or is it a fact that most crime and violence is commited by blacks?

I'm not sure but every itme I turn on the news or read about crime in the paper it seems to be mostly blacks involved.

Am I wrong?

No you are not wrong.
 
TenPenny
#6
I think it depends on what kind of crime you're talking about.

White collar crime, Ponzi schemes, don't seem to be mostly blacks.
Serial killers of children/women don't seem to be mostly blacks.

Getting drunk and letting your kids freeze to death doesn't seem to be mostly blacks.

In my city, selling drugs and armed robberies isn't mostly blacks.

I guess it depends on what you mean.
 
Goober
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

I think you're onto something with the "poverty" angle. What you seem to
be observing will change with the demographics of the various locations
across the country.

The GTA see something different than Vancouver, which'll see something
different again than a Prairie city, which'll see something different again
than someone on the East Coast, etc...and then there are the differences
in the Urban to Rural perspectives...

Ron

Recently in Edmonton we had 4 Somali youths murdered - The local rep for the communnity slammed the Police - after meeting with the Police he was satisfied about the investigations - I have a number of Sonmali friends - these 4 were from Toronto and came west to sell drugs - In an economic downturn - turf protection goes up - people that do not pay monies owed die - those that cross into the wrong territory die - But the local news - print and TV were at first with slamming the Police - any reporter worth more than a floating turd could have found out why they were killed - Drug war -
 
SirJosephPorter
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Why does it seem that the majority of crime is commited by blacks?

Is it a problem with media and how they report the news or is it a fact that most crime and violence is commited by blacks?

I'm not sure but every itme I turn on the news or read about crime in the paper it seems to be mostly blacks involved.

Am I wrong?

I think that is an Americanism, Avro. In USA a majority of crimes are committed by blacks, and majority of prisoners are also black.

But I don’t think that is the case in Canada, we just don’t have that many blacks. I looked up demographics of Canada; Africans come in the other category.

other, mostly Asian, African, Arab 6% Which means blacks may be 1 or 2%.

Canada Demographics Profile 2009

So on its face, you assertion does not seem to be right. Do you have any statistical evidence for it, or is it just your impression? Anyway, I live in a community 2 hours drive from Toronto; we have very few blacks here. I think most of the criminals here would be white.
 
Goober
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

I think that is an Americanism, Avro. In USA a majority of crimes are committed by blacks, and majority of prisoners are also black.

But I don’t think that is the case in Canada, we just don’t have that many blacks. I looked up demographics of Canada; Africans come in the other category.

other, mostly Asian, African, Arab 6% Which means blacks may be 1 or 2%.

Canada Demographics Profile 2009

So on its face, you assertion does not seem to be right. Do you have any statistical evidence for it, or is it just your impression? Anyway, I live in a community 2 hours drive from Toronto; we have very few blacks here. I think most of the criminals here would be white.

Approx 20 % of the Canadian prison population is Native - they have the highest rate to commit crimes after release.
 
Goober
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

I think that is an Americanism, Avro. In USA a majority of crimes are committed by blacks, and majority of prisoners are also black.

But I don’t think that is the case in Canada, we just don’t have that many blacks. I looked up demographics of Canada; Africans come in the other category.

other, mostly Asian, African, Arab 6% Which means blacks may be 1 or 2%.

Canada Demographics Profile 2009

So on its face, you assertion does not seem to be right. Do you have any statistical evidence for it, or is it just your impression? Anyway, I live in a community 2 hours drive from Toronto; we have very few blacks here. I think most of the criminals here would be white.

You live in an upper income area - Low crime rates are not suprising - Come out west to Edmonton and walk down main Jasper morning, noon but not night.
 
SirJosephPorter
#11
Goober, Avro’s question was why is so much crime committed by blacks. He didn’t say anything about native Indians. Also, is a lot of crime in Edmonton or Jasper area by blacks? If not, it is not relevant to the thread. Avro’s thread is concerning black crime.
 
LikelyGuy
#12
"Majority of Crime (is) Commited by Blacks..."

That's a laughabull (typo intended) statement Avro, or as you prefaced "Why does it seem..." It's either your own conception, or, you live in some Canadian demographic that I'm not aware of.

Where I live (in Tinytown, B.C.) I can safely say that 99.9% of crimes (when and if they're committed) are by my whitey neighbour (or by some honkey interloper).

But as some of the wizened posters above have already stated, it's a poverty thing and has nothing to do with something as superficial as skin colour.

As an addendum to my aforesaid statement, I'm sure that many years ago someone also said, "Why do so many crimes seem to committed by the Italians?", or "...the Irish?" or etc. Immigration is a tide that brings the best, and the worst, to these shores. (Just ask the Aboriginals.)
Last edited by LikelyGuy; Nov 15th, 2009 at 11:42 PM..
 
gopher
#13
Actually, we have discussed this subject a few times in the past and I have posted numerous links on this matter. The answer in the USA (don't know for sure about Canada) is the selective enforcement of the law. While whites make up the vast majority of criminal offenders in society, police selectively enforce the laws against blacks.

Since links have been posted I won't do so again. But read the Freakonomics books which discusses how white crime stats increase the moment black cops are hired. This because black cops enforce the law uniformly while white cops do so selectively.

None of this is any secret.
 
AnnaG
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Why does it seem that the majority of crime is commited by blacks?

Is it a problem with media and how they report the news or is it a fact that most crime and violence is commited by blacks?

I'm not sure but every itme I turn on the news or read about crime in the paper it seems to be mostly blacks involved.

Am I wrong?

I would think that the vast majority of crime is perpetrated by Asians simply because there are so many. Perhaps in the States most crimes are committed by Blacks. Certainly in Africa.
 
Goober
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

Goober, Avro’s question was why is so much crime committed by blacks. He didn’t say anything about native Indians. Also, is a lot of crime in Edmonton or Jasper area by blacks? If not, it is not relevant to the thread. Avro’s thread is concerning black crime.

Visible minorities are the common link - along with poverty - drugs -even the neighborhood you live in. The last ones I mentioned are all relevant.
 
TenPenny
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Visible minorities are the common link - along with poverty - drugs -even the neighborhood you live in. The last ones I mentioned are all relevant.

So when someone asks why crime is committed by blacks, they actually mean 'all visible minorities and the poor'?
 
Ron in Regina
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Actually, we have discussed this subject a few times in the past and I have posted numerous links on this matter. The answer in the USA (don't know for sure about Canada) is the selective enforcement of the law. While whites make up the vast majority of criminal offenders in society, police selectively enforce the laws against blacks.

Since links have been posted I won't do so again. But read the Freakonomics books which discusses how white crime stats increase the moment black cops are hired. This because black cops enforce the law uniformly while white cops do so selectively.

None of this is any secret.


 
Andem
#18
When I lived in Toronto, the most dangerous areas in the GTA were disproportionately black [1]. The majority of violent crime is committed by certain segments of the population which account for marginal groups but are overall highly over-represented in crime statistics, while those of African descent come in at only 8.4% of the local population [2]. One is also normally hard pressed to see those of South East Asian (23.4%) descent wanted by the police for violent crime.

I think the question in everyone's mind is, how can the police get away with only searching for murderers because they are black [3]? I don't buy it.. at least not in the Toronto area where residents have witnessed the outcome of Canada's horrible immigration policies where the then cultural majority has been replaced by a new multicultural society further marginalising the then majority population [4].

Furthermore, it's not just the historical majority (white) population which has suffered from immigration-related crime but includes more recent immigrants such as Jews, Italians, Hong Kong Chinese and a myriad of other ethnic groups who have settled in the GTA. Search the web for immigrants disenfranchised with Canada for many reasons including the above. (One comes to mind, but since they've spammed these forums before, I'm not going to plug them).

1: IE: Eglinton West, Rexdale, Jane+Finch, Regent Park, though the latter is changing slowly.
2: City of Toronto: Toronto Facts, Toronto's racial diversity
3: Toronto Police Service :: To Serve and Protect
4: Ethnic diversity and immigration
 
Liberalman
#19
The media reports all the crimes committed by whites but they break it down even more.

The whites that commit crimes in Canada are the Russian and Italian mafia, the motorcycle gangs, the skinheads, the white supremacist, the vigilantes and all the other white groups that use violence to further their cause.

If you looked at the media the white women kill their children and the white men kill their families and themselves in murder suicides because they can’t stand the level of violence committed by the blacks that they read about in the media.

The Canadian media picked up some bad habits from the American media where they purposely single out visible minorities to use as their scapegoats and the media is a responsible for the rise in the level of violence in major urban centres.

I can say this because if you compare media reports in electronic and print media in Canada dating back more than twenty years ago there is hardly any mention of ethnic identification, where a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian that’s it.

We have to remember that the underground railway in slavery times in America led to Upper Canada for a reason, which is Canada did not discriminate and all their citizens were viewed as equals.

The Canadian media has to do a lot of soul searching and go back to their roots and start to report responsibly and get away from scapegoat harassment of visible minorities and then you will see the violence levels go down.

If the Canadian media refuses to do this then they will be directly responsible for the downfall of Canadian society.
 
SirJosephPorter
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by LikelyGuy View Post

"Majority of Crime (is) Commited by Blacks..."

That's a laughabull (typo intended) statement Avro, or as you prefaced "Why does it seem..." It's either your own conception, or, you live in some Canadian demographic that I'm not aware of.

Where I live (in Tinytown, B.C.) I can safely say that 99.9% of crimes (when and if they're committed) are by my whitey neighbour (or by some honkey interloper).


Quite so, LikelyGuy, we just don’t have that many blacks here to commit a majority of the crimes. That is an Americanism.
 
SirJosephPorter
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

So when someone asks why crime is committed by blacks, they actually mean 'all visible minorities and the poor'?


To you, perhaps. To me, blacks means African Americans (or African Canadians in our case). I think it is absurd to include all kinds of minorities such as Asian (who tend to be brown), Chinese, Hispanics etc. in the category black.

It would be a weird definition of the word ‘black’ indeed to claim that Hispanics are blacks. I am sure Hispanics won’t appreciate being lumped together with blacks. Neither would Koreans, Chinese etc.

To me, black means just that, African race.

Also, let me get this straight. A white poor is a black (that is what you claim)?
 
Avro
#22
Perhaps it's time to do race crime stats in Canada.
 
TenPenny
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

To you, perhaps. To me, blacks means African Americans (or African Canadians in our case). I think it is absurd to include all kinds of minorities such as Asian (who tend to be brown), Chinese, Hispanics etc. in the category black.

It would be a weird definition of the word ‘black’ indeed to claim that Hispanics are blacks. I am sure Hispanics won’t appreciate being lumped together with blacks. Neither would Koreans, Chinese etc.

To me, black means just that, African race.

Also, let me get this straight. A white poor is a black (that is what you claim)?

You've got to sharpen up your reading skills, old boy. I think you're having trouble following this thread.

Perhaps another gin and tonic would help.
 
Goober
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

So when someone asks why crime is committed by blacks, they actually mean 'all visible minorities and the poor'?

I am an inclusive type - in many neighorhoods areas white - prots -catholic are a minority - I should have added that -
 
TenPenny
#25
Why not just stick to the question?
 
Goober
#26
Correctional Service of Canada CSC Partners

http://www.cscscc.gc.ca/text/rsrch/reports/r144/images/r144_e_img_1.jpg Figure

2: Racial Distribution of Offenders Figure 3: Five Offender Groups (1)
In combination, visible minority persons account for approximately 11% of those incarcerated and 16% of those serving time in the community (14% of those released on day parole; 20% released on full parole; and 11% released on statutory release). Visible minorities as a whole do not appear to be over-represented among incarcerated offenders, since they account for 13% of the population in Canada (Statistics Canada, 2001). However, there is a slight over-representation of visible minority offenders serving time in the community on some form of conditional release. The reasons for the larger proportion of visible minority offenders serving time in the community is most likely due to the offences for which they are incarcerated and criminal history. These factors will be discussed later in this report. Differences emerge when specific groups are examined. For instance, although they account for about 2% of the population in Canada, Blacks make up 6% of offenders incarcerated in federal correctional facilities and 7% of those serving time in the community. Asians are not over-represented—they account for 8% of the population in Canada, but only 2% of incarcerated offenders and 4% of those serving time in the community. Persons from “other” cultural groups are not over-represented among those incarcerated, but are slightly over-represented among those serving time in the community—they compose 3% of the population in Canada, compared with 3% of incarcerated offenders and 5% of those serving time in the community. The findings indicate that Caucasians, along with Asians, are under-represented in the Canadian federal correctional system, while Blacks are over-represented. As noted earlier, there is a similar disproportionate representation of Blacks in correctional facilities in the United States (Stephan, 2001) and England/Wales (Elkins & Olgundoye, 2001). Furthermore, according to Elkins and Olgundoye, Asians are also over-represented in England/Wales.
 
SirJosephPorter
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

You've got to sharpen up your reading skills, old boy. I think you're having trouble following this thread.

Perhaps another gin and tonic would help.

I see you could not refute anything I said. So you seek refuge in diversions.
 
SirJosephPorter
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

I am an inclusive type - in many neighorhoods areas white - prots -catholic are a minority - I should have added that -

You may be an inclusive type, Goober, but the word ‘black’ is not. Traditionally ‘black’ does not include Hispanics, Chinese, Koreans, Indians etc. It is usually used to describe Africans.
 
SirJosephPorter
#29
Goober, the charts and statistics you have put up really supports my assertion, that blacks committing majority of crimes is an Americanism, we don’t have that here in Canada.
 
Spade
#30
The chart"Racial Distribution of Offenders" is not a "racial distribution" but a "geographic ancestry distribution" which cannot be taken as accurate because of intermarriage.
 

Similar Threads

5
Blacks Photo Books
by TenPenny | Oct 6th, 2009
28
where are all the blacks?
by mapleleafs67 | Aug 10th, 2009
21
Blair blames blacks...is he right?
by tamarin | Apr 14th, 2007
12
Handbags at dawn for the All Blacks
by Blackleaf | Jul 10th, 2006
0
Tension Rise Against Blacks
by Jersay | Jan 2nd, 2006