Donald Trump calls Justin Trudeau to offer condolences over Humboldt bus crash


mentalfloss
-4
#1


Donald Trump calls Justin Trudeau to offer condolences over Humboldt bus crash

U.S. President Donald Trump called Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Saturday to offer his support over the Saskatchewan crash which killed 15 members of a junior hockey team.

Trump spoke of the call on Twitter, writing that he shared his “highest respect and condolences to the families of the terrible Humboldt Team tragedy.”

On Friday night, a bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos collided with a transport truck outside of Tisdale, Sask. Fifteen members of the team were left injured and more than a dozen others were injured.

Trudeau released a statement reflecting on how “heartbroken” Canadians were over the fatal collision.

“An entire country is in shock and mourning today as we learn more about the tragic bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos that claimed the lives of 14 people, and injured many more.

“We are heartbroken knowing many of those we lost had their entire lives in front of them. We grieve with those facing news no parent or family should ever have to face. And our hearts go out to the community that has lost teammates, coaches, friends, and mentors.”

The leaders of Canada’s two other major political parties also expressed their condolences.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4130451/h...ustin-trudeau/
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Danbones
Free Thinker
+9
#2  Top Rated Post
...and you are using those poor people's death to make a political non point about Trump being a gentleman as being a bad thing.



That's really low...really...but a type of typical hypocrisy.
 
DaSleeper
+3
#3
Typical Flossy Troll!!

Anyone surprised??
 
Blackleaf
#4
Why isn't the team called Humboldt Penguins?
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
#5
In all fairness, what can politicians do other than become a part of the grieving teddy bear collective? This was a terrible tragedy, but none of us, that I am aware, are connected to the victims. We simply consume the tragedy and decide whether or not to feel bad about it. Both Trudeau and Trump will be on to other things, as will all of us, when this story fades. The families, surviving victims and close friends will be affected for the rest of their lives. Dealing with intense grief. Survivors guilt. Post traumatic stress. Not even taking into account the physical disabilities. We, on the other hand, will have forgotten and moved on to something else.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

... Fifteen members of the team were left injured and more than a dozen others were injured...

Fifteen fatalities, some serious
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

In all fairness, what can politicians do other than become a part of the grieving teddy bear collective? This was a terrible tragedy, but none of us, that I am aware, are connected to the victims. We simply consume the tragedy and decide whether or not to feel bad about it. Both Trudeau and Trump will be on to other things, as will all of us, when this story fades. The families, surviving victims and close friends will be affected for the rest of their lives. Dealing with intense grief. Survivors guilt. Post traumatic stress. Not even taking into account the physical disabilities. We, on the other hand, will have forgotten and moved on to something else.

I think there's a lesson for all of us that largely won't be forgotten quickly. I know for myself I have a couple of problems that twitch away at me from time to time, but this event has knocked those aside, as I realize they are not insurmountable and also realize there are thousands of people who would gladly swap their problems for mine. I bet right now there are thousands across Canada today who are of the same mindset. If there is an upside to this horrific event I hope it is that the survivors will over time become stronger people. The thought just came to me this morning that this may well be the worst traffic accident ever across the country. I know offhand of atleast three in B.C. where 5 or more have perished. One was a bus accident on Vancouver Island in the late 70s, near Nanaimo.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Fifteen fatalities, some serious

I would suggest ALL the fatalities are serious, actually "serious" is a huge understatement! I guess there will always be those who are insensitive!
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+5
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Fifteen fatalities, some serious

Poor Cannuck. Waltzes into an English speaking forum but has a piss poor grasp of the language.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#9
Good Gawd!!! The irony!!!
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+3
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Poor Cannuck. Waltzes into an English speaking forum but has a piss poor grasp of the language.

Sad sad waste of skin .
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Poor Cannuck. Waltzes into an English speaking forum but has a piss poor grasp of the language.

"A piss poor grasp of the language" being a distant second to his ignorance of people in general and especially of their sensibilities.

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Sad sad waste of skin .

And all other parts!

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Sad sad waste of skin .

I wonder how much repugnance it will take before this creature slithers off to distant parts!
 
Tecumsehsbones
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

In all fairness, what can politicians do other than become a part of the grieving teddy bear collective?

They can work to pass tough hockey-stick control laws! Those semi-automatic assault hockey sticks are weapons of war that have no place in civilian society!
 
petros
+5
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

You have sunk to an all time low.
 
justlooking
+3
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

You have sunk to an all time low.

I'm pretty sure he isn't finished, there will be new lows coming soon enough.
 
mentalfloss
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

...and you are using those poor people's death to make a political non point about Trump being a gentleman as being a bad thing.



That's really low...really...but a type of typical hypocrisy.

The fact that you and 9 others focused on that exclusively says more about you and them, than it does about me.




Last edited by mentalfloss; Apr 8th, 2018 at 01:52 PM..
 
justlooking
+2
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

....

Wow, a falser apology has never been offered.
 
mentalfloss
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

Wow, a falser apology has never been offered.

Here, have one of these

 
Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The fact that you and 9 others focused on that exclusively says more about you and them than it does about me.

Yes, I see what other people think about that.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The fact that you and 9 others focused on that exclusively says more about you and them, than it does about me.




There are times when it is far better for a person to just shut up and quit yapping.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

There are times when it is far better for a person to just shut up and quit yapping.

Are you upset because you can't change your Facebook profile pic?
 
Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+2
#21
He is just trolling. He was laughing about the truck attacks in Nice France too.
 
mentalfloss
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Are you upset because you can't change your Facebook profile pic?

You should link to the instructions for him.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

He is just trolling. He was laughing about the truck attacks in Nice France too.

Yep, there's no end of sleaze with this turkey. Best just to totally ignore him.
 
mentalfloss
#24
Free speech.
 
justlooking
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Free speech.

You only act tough because you know there are no consequences for your assholery.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

I'm pretty sure he isn't finished, there will be new lows coming soon enough.

Shows what he thinks of Canadians outside of Ontariowe.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

You should link to the instructions for him.

Do you really think he'd be capable of understanding and following those instructions?

Mind you, he's sharp enough that he can tell from Gooberville BC, the impact that seatbelt did or didn't have so you never can tell.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
-1
#28
Sometimes people who have some common sense can discern quite a bit, especially if they get to view pictures of the wreckage. I would concede that a person who survived a day, not wearing a seat belt may have had a chance for a better outcome. As for people who died suddenly on impact, I wouldn't be overly optimistic of their chances even with a seat belt on. It's a crap shoot at best. Miracles have been known to happen.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#29
I sure hope it is found to be completely an accident because having the responsibility for causing something like this in any way shape or form on one's conscience would be a very hard road too.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
-1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

I sure hope it is found to be completely an accident because having the responsibility for causing something like this in any way shape or form on one's conscience would be a very hard road too.

I guess the worst possible scenario might be if the transport vehicle operator was found to be at fault. Those guys don't have it easy, they have a schedule to maintain to keep their jobs and I know the bus drivers are under similar pressures. Even allowing an extra 5- 10 minutes on a trip can make all the difference. Every time I drive on the highway, I'm baffled at what all the rush is about. Leave early, drive slower and arrive safe!