IIHF World Hockey Championships

#juan
Canada plays Hungary at 1:30 Pacific Time. Should be a fairly easy game for Canada, but we'll see. Game will be on TSN.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Canada plays Hungary at 1:30 Pacific Time. Should be a fairly easy game for Canada, but we'll see. Game will be on TSN.

thanks for info, we have a nice team over there.

#juan
They weren't too nice to the Hungarians. The womped them 9 - 0. St.Louis had a four point game. Next I think, is Slovakia on Tuesday.

talloola

They weren't too nice to the Hungarians. The womped them 9 - 0. St.Louis had a four point game. Next I think, is Slovakia on Tuesday.

he can come to the canucks if he wants, along with la cavellier, gaborik, hossa,
iginla, ovetchkin, (just kidding), no I'm not.

Good for them, these are good warm up games, and they work they way up to the
hard games, good practice.
Last edited by talloola; Apr 27th, 2009 at 04:24 PM..

#juan
Canada won the third game against Slovakia. The score was 7 - 3 for Canada. This was probably the last of the easy games. They play again on Thursday but I'm not sure who they play.
The Canucks and a few other teams are helping out by tying up players that would likely be playing against Canada in the world championships. The Sedins would likely play for Sweden if Vancouver hadn't made the playoffs.

wulfie68
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

he can come to the canucks if he wants, along with la cavellier, gaborik, hossa,
iginla, ovetchkin, (just kidding), no I'm not.

Good for them, these are good warm up games, and they work they way up to the
hard games, good practice.

You'd end up with a payroll rivaling the pre-Cap Rangers or Red Wings

#juan
Canada won 5 - 1 against the CzheK Republic (I'm taking a creative spelling course)

They next play Norway.

talloola
Canada is rolling right along, nice team, they have definitely set the tone, and
don't seem to have any weak areas, and should even get stronger as tournament
progresses.

#juan
Canada beat Norway 5 - 1

Their next game, against Finland, is on TSN today at 11:15 pacific time.

#juan
Oops. We lost to the fins 4 - 3 in a shoot out at the end of a very chippy game...Lots of clutching and grabbing.

talloola

Oops. We lost to the fins 4 - 3 in a shoot out at the end of a very chippy game...Lots of clutching and grabbing.

Good, they needed a loss, that will keep them more focused, and not let them
get too comfortable.

#juan

Good, they needed a loss, that will keep them more focused, and not let them
get too comfortable.

At least it was a loss that didn't cost them anything. They are still in first place so they still have home ice advantage over the teams in their division. It will be interesting to see how they play against Latvia.

#juan
Canada won a hard fought game against Latvia. The score was 4 - 2. The refereeing was bad even by European standards. Canada advances to the quarter finals.

talloola

Canada won a hard fought game against Latvia. The score was 4 - 2. The refereeing was bad even by European standards. Canada advances to the quarter finals.

I just got the last part of the game, lots of penalty problems, but they played
through it, even with a 6 on 3 for a few minutes. Good for them, they are
looking solid.

#juan
Canada will now play either Sweden or the Czech republic in the semifinal. Russia will play the U.S.

#juan
It is settled. Canada will play Sweden in the semi-final. If we win, we will play for the gold medal against either Russia or the U.S..

#juan
I just watched the Russians win over the U.S.. The game looked like it was going into overtime when the Russians scored in about the final minute to win 3 - 2. Canada will play the Swedes today for the chance to play the Russians tomorrow for the gold medal.

#juan
Canada turned it up a notch against the Swedes. Winning 3 - 1. It will be an interesting game against Russia tomorrow.

talloola

Canada turned it up a notch against the Swedes. Winning 3 - 1. It will be an interesting game against Russia tomorrow.

I just got home, didn't see the game at all, good for them.

#juan

I just got home, didn't see the game at all, good for them.

The game is just starting now...

#juan
Russia just won the gold medal.

shadowshiv
Russia has now won two times in a row. They have a very good team.

#juan
Particularly frustrating since we outshot them something like 37 to 16.

shadowshiv

Particularly frustrating since we outshot them something like 37 to 16.

Bryzgalow(sp?) is a very good goalie. It is just a shame that he is tied down with Atlanta, a team that does not have a very deep defensive core.

talloola

The game is just starting now...

No, the game I missed was the semi final, and now I have also missed the final,
since it is sunday. My husband took me out for a mother's day brunch at the
kingfisher, I've not been this 'full' since Xmas.

wulfie68
It was some good hockey, and Bryzgalov is a good goalie who stood on his head, but I tend not to put too much store in the IIHF championship for the simple reason that so many of the best players are still involved in the NHL playoffs. Imagine team Sweden with Holmstrom, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and the Sedins; or Russia with Malkin, Ovechkin and Datsyuk; never mind the stars Team Canada still has playing. Its a reason I like the Olympic tournament or a Canada Cup style one: you get everyone's best out there.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68 View Post

It was some good hockey, and Bryzgalov is a good goalie who stood on his head, but I tend not to put too much store in the IIHF championship for the simple reason that so many of the best players are still involved in the NHL playoffs. Imagine team Sweden with Holmstrom, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and the Sedins; or Russia with Malkin, Ovechkin and Datsyuk; never mind the stars Team Canada still has playing. Its a reason I like the Olympic tournament or a Canada Cup style one: you get everyone's best out there.

I wouldn't give all the credit to the goaltender. During that game there was so many extra long pick plays and so much interference that wasn't called the Canadians had a lot of trouble setting up on their power play.