Crucifiction of the English Language

JLM
Since it's Good Friday I think it's a good time to start a thread of examples we've heard of the English language being crucified. Could be fun.

lone wolf
This is going to put us on the map....

Cannuck
There was the guy that called the CBC the Canadian Broadcorping Castration.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

That's a good one.

Spade
The crux of my complaints is the misuse of "Lie" and "Lay."

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Good one- now can "lay" that one to rest.........

lone wolf
You should'a read some variants I had for the Common Sense Revolution....

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Good one- now can "lay" that one to rest.........

Is that a lie?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Is that a lie?

I guess "lie" is for people- (who do a lot of it) and "lay" is for things.

lone wolf

I guess "lie" is for people- (who do a lot of it) and "lay" is for things.

...then there are the ones who lay down and lie....

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

And say yes I will love you in the morning.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

No- they lie down and lie.

Goober

No- they lie down and lie.

Lying is so confusing but imagine how little you sex life would be in your youth by telling the truth?

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

That was actor Don Harron, in character as Charlie Farquharson. I tried to find a video, to cite a site of the sight of him saying it...

Next lesson: the apostrophe. It does not not mean "here comes an S."

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

As in "Let sleeping dogs lie"?

VanIsle

Since it's Good Friday I think it's a good time to start a thread of examples we've heard of the English language being crucified. Could be fun.

I assume my nit pick is more of a spelling error than a crucifixion but I see people everywhere use the word "loose" for the word lose. A screw is loose, so we could lose the bolt is how it should be spelled.

Liberalman
The hoors of the English language is the Americans because after their revolution they tried to change the spelling of proper English words.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Islandpacific View Post

I assume my nit pick is more of a spelling error than a crucifixion but I see people everywhere use the word "loose" for the word lose. A screw is loose, so we could lose the bolt is how it should be spelled.

Yep, I see that one a lot. Years ago at we were discussing drawing up a will and one of us questioned whether that required a lawyer, when one of the fellas (very bright but not too articulate) piped up, Hell no the wife and I just drew up ours and we got one of them "notary republics". That made for a good day. Hard to be polite in situations like that.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

The hoors of the English language is the Americans because after their revolution they tried to change the spelling of proper English words.

I'm not too sure that the Englishmen that invented the language, had it all together either. Maybe they should have got together with the Germans and the French more when they were transferring words across the channel. Sometimes i think they changed the pronunciation but forgot to change the spelling as in "light" "night" etc.

YukonJack
The very title of this thread - especially this time of the year - is quite obviously the fruit of a sick mind, with minimal knowledge of the English language.

Cliffy
Good mornin' Jack.
I figured someone with your sense of humour would show up here and and try to put a damper on the festivities. You never disappoint.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

The very title of this thread - especially this time of the year - is quite obviously the fruit of a sick mind, with minimal knowledge of the English language.

Then I guess I'm the guy with the "sick mind" Y.J. so tell me what's sick about it and try to do it using English that is superior to mine since you are apparently the great lexocographer.

YukonJack
And the top of the morning to you, Cliffy!

Festivities? It is Easter, a CHRISTIAN holiday - what does that mean to an atheist like you? Why would you even consider the Easter Season a festivity?

At any rate, I appreciate that you finally gave me credit for what has been obvious forever: my sense of humour.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

And the top of the morning to you, Cliffy!

Festivities? It is Easter, a CHRISTIAN holiday - what does that mean to an atheist like you? Why would you even consider the Easter Season a festivity?

At any rate, I appreciate that you finally gave me credit for what has been obvious forever: my sense of humour.

Who else's business it, what a person's religious orientation is and for all we know maybe he considers going rabbit hunting a festivity and gets enjoyment out of it.

YukonJack
JLM, using the word "CRUCIFICTION" in a context other than the method of execution of Jesus, especially on Good Friday, is offensive to anyone who believes in Christianity and the significance of the Easter Season.

I can't know your mind. Perhaps you meant no offense. But you could have used - instead of "CRUCIFICTION" words like 'abuse', 'misuse' and a whole host of other words just as effective and descriptive in order to get your point across.

I apologize for the use of the adjective "sick". Admittedly, it was a tad too strong. Perhaps it was the best indicator that my knowledge of English anything but lexicographic.

JLM
"JLM, using the word "CRUCIFICTION" in a context other than the method of execution of Jesus, especially on Good Friday, is offensive to anyone who believes in Christianity and the significance of the Easter Season."- I disagree whole heartedly and I consider myself a Christian, but lets hear what other Christians have to say about it. We use the term "crucifiction" to describe trashing the language on the other 364 days of the year, so is there valid reason to not use it on Good Friday.

Cliffy
Jack,
Once again, I am not an atheist. I just have no use for religion, especially the catholic one, as it was what was used to terrorize me as a child.
The festivities I refer to is this thread and all the fun people are having with it. A the use of Crucifiction" on good Friday is completely appropriate and ads greatly to the humour of the subject.

Pull that crucifix out of your butt and live a little. There is more to life than dead guys bleeding on crosses.

L Gilbert
How about "The "Massacre of....." or the "Holocaust of..." or the "Butchery of ....". Jeeeez H Murphy, lighten up. I'm Canadian/Irish/atheist/centrist/etc and repeat and enjoy jokes about Canada, Canadians, Irish, atheists, centrists/righties/lefties, etc.

YukonJack
JLM, 'trashing" is another word you could have used.

Let us just agree that your choice of words was at best insensitive. Had anyone used a similarly offensive and insensitive word in relation to gays, Blacks, etc., that person would be booted from the Forum post haste.

Zan
/sigh...

ANYWAY...

back to the topic, one of my favorite peeves with the English Language: the nefarious use of 'silent' letters...

like knickers, knife, phone, pneumonia, gnat, gnu, .... they're everywhere!