Light at the end of the tunnel?

BitWhys
amidst the cry of war

Quote:

Nasrallah also said he approves of Lebanon's ceasefire plan that would include sending 15,000 soldiers to take control of south Lebanon and Hezbollah strongholds, and see Israel withdraw from the region.

reasons for Israel to turn down the offer...?

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Quote:

reasons for Israel to turn down the offer...?

Anything to get Israel out of that country.

I can't think of any reasons but there are bound to be some.

BitWhys
well

other than the part about the Lebanese army basically sucking wind, neither can I but that can be overcome.

Nathaniel
because it doesn't include disarming hezbollah, and because Israel has no reason now to trust that they will stop missile attacks.

Then if a Hezbollah attack DOES still happen Israel wants to be able to defend itself with out the worry of killing Lebanese army, as if they were to kill some lebanese army after an attack by Hezbollah, Lebanon might take it to be an ack of war.

Israel also does not accept because they want to clear out more hezbollah, and ensure hezbollah does not occupie a border buffer zone and re-orginize, again something the Lebanese won't do.

All of the major players agree that an international force comes in Israel will leave.

The only ones that disagree with that are the nations which would prefer there be no Israel to begin with.

Nathaniel
Lebanon should have had an army down there keeping the peace in the FIRST PLACE!!

BitWhys
Quote: Originally Posted by Nathaniel

Lebanon should have had an army down there keeping the peace in the FIRST PLACE!!

as simple as that? does the term "Cedar Revolution" ring a bell?

you can only do so much at once, especially when the players can kick your ass on the full court press.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
As long as the Lebanese troops are at least as well armed as the Hezbollah, it should work. At this point all they have to do is keep them back, beyond Katusha rocket range of Israel.

Back in 2003, Hezbollah warned Beirut that any attempt to replace Hezbollah with Lebanese troops would be met with force. Do the still mean it? I don't know.

BitWhys
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

As long as the Lebanese troops are at least as well armed as the Hezbollah, it should work.

yeah. well. the jury is still out on that one.

a lot's happened since 2003. there already WAS talk of merging Hezbollah with the regular army before the whole thing went postal. might sound dastardly at first glance but one look at Sri Lanka tells you door number is not great shakes.

iARTthere4iam
Is there any word what happens to Hizbollah if/ when the Lebanese Army moves in?

sanch
Quote:

I support the deployment of the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) in southern Lebanon and the boosting of the existing UNIFIL forces, Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah said in a recorded televised address broadcast on the group's al-Manar network on Wednesday night.

"In the past we used to oppose or not agree on deployment of the army at the borders ... because we were concerned about the army. ... We agree on deployment of the army, but do not hide our fear for it," Nasrallah said.

"The army could be destroyed within few days," he said.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull