Hydro rate rise blamed on Liberals' private power deals


CDNBear
+1
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

... But always seem to scream the loudest about deficiencies in the system and demand the most.

Funny how that works

Yes it is.

The wind farm that they're testing here is getting all sorts of flack from the NIMBY's. I've looked at the plan, the view of the lake they say will be ruined, doesn't exist now.

Mean while over in a sensitive watershed, a housing development of million dollar homes is getting little to no attention at all.

Even the NIMBY's friends need a nice place in the country I guess.
 
SLM
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Good idea. Mailboxes are in the front yard.

We should just walk up and staple them to their foreheads. You know, to make sure they get them.
 
petros
+1
#33
Nomfh

Quote:

Mean while over in a sensitive watershed, a housing development of million dollar homes is getting little to no attention at all.

Even the NIMBY's friends need a nice place in the country I guess

I saw that on CTV2
 
CDNBear
+1
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Fabulous, we'll send them the bill then.

We all get it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post

I'm not impressed, especially when they are blaming NAFTA for your high gas prices. I believe it is common knowledge why gas is more expensive in Canada, distribution and taxes, taxes and more taxes.

It's not common knowledge bud.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Good idea. Mailboxes are in the front yard.

The mailboxes aren't there anymore, they've been moved to central locations.

Union mail carriers hated the exercise.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

We should just walk up and staple them to their foreheads. You know, to make sure they get them.

Now that's a good idea.
 
SLM
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Yes it is.

The wind farm that they're testing here is getting all sorts of flack from the NIMBY's. I've looked at the plan, the view of the lake they say will be ruined, doesn't exist now.

Mean while over in a sensitive watershed, a housing development of million dollar homes is getting little to no attention at all.

Even the NIMBY's friends need a nice place in the country I guess.

A small(ish) group of people who don't think but instead follow along, and these are the people effectively dictating policy. It's a mad world isn't it?

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Nomfh

I work in an office, if there's one thing I know how to do it's work a stapler.
 
petros
+1
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Union mail carriers hated the exercise.

Those go to contractors who steal mail.
 
CDNBear
+1
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Those go to contractors who steal mail.

Ya, those too.
 
SLM
+1
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

We all get it.

Yes, and I want to give mine to them. You know, "pay it forward". Lol.

Quote:

It's not common knowledge bud.

It should be. If there's a Canadian out there who doesn't know what the freaking SIN tax is, we should revoke their membership.

Quote:

Now that's a good idea.

Raising electrical rates makes me want to hurt people. Have I mentioned my condo has baseboard heaters?
 
Sons of Liberty
+2
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Raising electrical rates makes me want to hurt people. Have I mentioned my condo has baseboard heaters?

Cuddle, it's cheaper and more fun.
 
CDNBear
+1
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

It should be. If there's a Canadian out there who doesn't know what the freaking SIN tax is, we should revoke their membership.

It's not just the taxes, the distribution is pricey too.

Sons is the one that explained it to me, lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post

Cuddle, it's cheaper and more fun.

That's why SCB keeps me around, lol.
 
SLM
+1
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by Sons of Liberty View Post

Cuddle, it's cheaper and more fun.

Sigh, alas there's no one here for me to cuddle up to.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

It's not just the taxes, the distribution is pricey too.

Sons is the one that explained it to me, lol.

Sure, but a lot of it is the taxes. How else are we going to pay for 12 hours waits in the emergency room? That doesn't come free you know. Lol.
 
CDNBear
+1
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Sure, but a lot of it is the taxes. How else are we going to pay for 12 hours waits in the emergency room? That doesn't come free you know. Lol.

Which reminds me...

Drivers already paying a toll for Ontario roads, study finds
 
Missplaced
#43
Capt. Morgan

Good day to you sir/ma'am. By which particular mathematical gymnastic do you reach the conclusion that universal health care is free???

If it's free why has every government mandarin spouted that the costs of healthcare need to be brought under control? If you're implication is that healthcare is "free" to Canadians, I'd like to know how you've avoided paying taxes for the past hundred years.
 
SLM
+2
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by Missplaced View Post

Capt. Morgan

Good day to you sir/ma'am. By which particular mathematical gymnastic do you reach the conclusion that universal health care is free???

If it's free why has every government mandarin spouted that the costs of healthcare need to be brought under control? If you're implication is that healthcare is "free" to Canadians, I'd like to know how you've avoided paying taxes for the past hundred years.

Ah, I see an inability to detect sarcasm is a skill you possess.

You really should be questioning him about his affiliation with the Bloc Quebecois though.
 
Missplaced
#45
SLM

Good day to you!

I fear that my inability to detect sarcasm might well have tripped-up my assessment. If this is in fact the case I apologize for the mistake. I fear however that a statement like this taken at face value is the kernel of delusional thinking that Canadians employ to resist acknowledgement of the truth. We are lied to and used by everyone in government from the Senate to the PMO's office to the circus at Queens park. Again my apologies for this oversight.
 
SLM
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by Missplaced View Post

SLM

Good day to you!

I fear that my inability to detect sarcasm might well have tripped-up my assessment. If this is in fact the case I apologize for the mistake. I fear however that a statement like this taken at face value is the kernel of delusional thinking that Canadians employ to resist acknowledgement of the truth. We are lied to and used by everyone in government from the Senate to the PMO's office to the circus at Queens park. Again my apologies for this oversight.


You don't have to apologize. Just my way of letting you know that, around here, there's often more to "the story" (so to speak) than simply the words contained in a single post.

Simply something to keep in mind, that's all.
 
Missplaced
+1
#47
I'll try to apply your caveat in future and thanks, however, it does I believe point out a weakness of significant import with respect to the younger generations fascination with texting and avoiding live face-to-face intercourse. In a medium where the larger content of a persons body-language, facial expression and tone of voice are abandoned I fear we are desensitizing kids communication skills and will ultimately end up with people ill-equipped to integrate understand and evaluate circumstance...but then again that's really what politicians and big business want isn't it?
 
Liberalman
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Hydro rate rise blamed on Liberals' private power deals

TORONTO - Ontario hydro rates are rising at well above the rate of inflation with no relief in sight, NDP MPP Peter Tabuns says.
Tabuns blamed the Liberal government's pursuit of private power deals such as the cancelled Oakville gas plant, which torched up to $815 million of taxpayer dollars, for the steadily rising hydro bills.


Read More


Well d'uh, thanks again to all those Ontario clowns that voted these clowns back in.

Elections are for winning seats and if I was the leader of the Liberal party of Ontario I would have done the same considering that the other party leaders were calling for the cancellation for the two power plants. If the cancellation fees is the big problem then PC leader Hudak and NDP leader Horwath should be calling on the government to reinstate the two gas plant projects where they are and I am sure the contractors would cancel their fees and finish building the gas plants and more electricity can be produced bringing down the costs.
.
.
 
petros
#49
Would it be different if hydro was still a Provincial Crown asset?
 
Liberalman
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Would it be different if hydro was still a Provincial Crown asset?

yes cheaper hydro rates
 
petros
#51
Subsidized or a break even type deal?
 
Liberalman
#52
Subsidized is better just because the consumer or taxpayer has more money at the end of the day in their pockets as long as efficiencies are in place in the crown asset to prevent waste.
 
petros
+4
#53  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Subsidized is better just because the consumer or taxpayer has more money at the end of the day in their pockets as long as efficiencies are in place in the crown asset to prevent waste.

No they don't. Who do you think pays the subsidies? Botswanans?

Break even after maintenance and a slice set aside for upgrades is the only way to go if a Crown Asset.
 
CDNBear
+2
#54
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

break even after maintenance and a slice set aside for upgrades is the only way to go if a crown asset.

+1000
 
Liberalman
#55
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

No they don't. How do you think pays the subsidies? Botswanans?

The taxpayers are consumers and the owners of the government asset so the subsidies goes back to their pockets with private the money goes to the share owners and prices always rise
 
petros
#56
No it doesn't. There is nothing private about utility rate boards who approve increases.
 
Liberalman
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

No it doesn't.

Yes it does
 
petros
#58
How?

Explain in detail.

OEB Home | OEB
 
Liberalman
#59
Quote:

There is nothing private about utility rate boards who approve increases.

What exactly do you mean?
 
petros
#60
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

What exactly do you mean?

First you explain how paying taxes to lower utilities puts money in pockets.