California Voters Approve Higher Taxes

Locutus
Well somebody hasta pay and it ain't gonna be the politicians.

SAN FRANCISCO—In approving a ballot measure sought by Gov. Jerry Brown to raise taxes for several years, Californians took a step toward improving the state's fiscal situation and avoiding education cuts.

According to the California Secretary of State's website, 53.9% of voters backed the measure, Proposition 30, while 46.1% voted against it, with all votes counted except for provisional and some mailed-in ballots.

The approval is a significant victory for Mr. Brown, a Democrat, who has staked his governorship on a campaign to raise taxes to ease the effects of the state's budget crunch.

"Last night, Californians made the courageous ...

California Voters Approve Higher Taxes - WSJ.com

The Old Medic
Conservative
+1
The 53.9% are the takers, and the 46.1% are the earners. The takers will always vote to increase the taxes of those who work hard for their money.

Boeing is now closing their plant in Long Beach, laying off a few thousand workers. Many other firms will be pulling out of California in the next year or two, because the State has become so business unfriendly. Why would any person that earns a substantial amount stay in a State that severely punishes them for success?

I moved out of California in 2006, after living there off and on since 1952 (I was a legal resident of California throughout my 10 years in the Army). I could see that the State was destroying itself, becoming the haven for illegals and welfare folks.

BaalsTears
+1
The Mexicans made all the difference in the tax initiative passing. They want free stuff.

Highball
Sales taxes in several California counties will now be as high as 11%. That will hurt the local businesses where there is an opportunity to cross and county boundary and save 2% just on the sales tax. This may just cause some problems in the state. Now many car buyers are going out of state and using a little known 120 day clause to beat the state vehicle sales and licensing costs. Licensing now could be very expensive when one considers the "New Car" fees thy now have in place.

The Old Medic
Conservative
+1
California auto registration is based on the value of the vehicle. So, even if you purchase it out of state, you will still pay the horribly high vehicle registration costs.

BUT, you CAN avoid paying California sales tax, if you own it for 120 days before bringing it into the State. If you bring it back sooner than that, they charge you California Sales Tax, on top of the registration fees.

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post

California auto registration is based on the value of the vehicle. So, even if you purchase it out of state, you will still pay the horribly high vehicle registration costs.

BUT, you CAN avoid paying California sales tax, if you own it for 120 days before bringing it into the State. If you bring it back sooner than that, they charge you California Sales Tax, on top of the registration fees.

All this discussion of vehicles brought mind a program I watched the other day about people living in their vehicles having lost every cent they ever made, their houses and most of their possessions. It was filmed in San Diego and during the program we learned that there are over 27 special parking spaces all with long waiting lists that are set aside each night for these folks. Ordinary middle class folks living in and in some cases working out of, their vehicles for no fault of their own and with no recourse.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTears View Post

The Mexicans made all the difference in the tax initiative passing. They want free stuff.

Ya, because they work for much less then the gringos.

BaalsTears
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

Ya, because they work for much less then the gringos.

Here's the way it works. Most illegal Mexicans and Central Americans work real hard, both husband and wife. They put in so many hours working that they don't have sufficient time and energy to raise their kids properly. That's how the gangs get hold of their kids.

Because of their circumstances the primary objective of illegal Mexicans and Central Americans is assistance in dealing with their economic struggle. The only source of assistance are federal, state and local governments. Thus, it is in the economic interests of the illegals and their supporters and sympathizers that govt. be big and profligate.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post

The 53.9% are the takers, and the 46.1% are the earners. The takers will always vote to increase the taxes of those who work hard for their money.

Boeing is now closing their plant in Long Beach, laying off a few thousand workers. Many other firms will be pulling out of California in the next year or two, because the State has become so business unfriendly. Why would any person that earns a substantial amount stay in a State that severely punishes them for success?

I moved out of California in 2006, after living there off and on since 1952 (I was a legal resident of California throughout my 10 years in the Army). I could see that the State was destroying itself, becoming the haven for illegals and welfare folks.

Do you really believe that the vast majority of Californians make no contribution to California's economy? I have challenged right wingers in CC before to give me an example of a commercial enterprise that has succeeded without considerable help from the average working man or women. No one has taken me up on the challenge, probably because no such enterprise has ever existed. California leads the US in many industrial and agricultural categories, but you seem to have missed the fact that millions of average Californians make this possible.

You also seem to be unaware of the fact that in terms of total tax dollars paid to the federal government California contrbutes far more in taxes that it gets back in federal transfers. Far from being a state of "illegals and welfare folks" California is actually a vital part of thje US eceonomy. In fact if California was a country its GNP would be about the same as Canada's.

Boeing by the way, is reducing its workforce in California not because of unfriendly attitudes toward business, but because the huge federal subsidies paid to the airline manufacturer are drying up. You might also be interested to learn that the company is making similar reductions in Kanas, although I suppose Kansas might be equally business unfriendly.

Long Beach Post - UPDATED: 800 Boeing Jobs To Leave Long Beach By 2012
Boeing set to end 85-year history with Wichita | Wichita Eagle

Niflmir
Free Thinker
Right, it's the people with no money that want to be taxed. Rich people of course feel no social responsibility. Compassion is a luxury only the poor can afford.

Stephen King: Tax Me, for F@%&

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

Right, it's the people with no money that want to be taxed. Rich people of course feel no social responsibility. Compassion is a luxury only the poor can afford.

Doesn't matter what they 'feel', does it?

The gvt legislates that they get the privilege of assuming the highest degree of social responsibility via the progressive tax rates applied to them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

Stephen King: Tax Me, for F@%&

Contact Your Local IRS Office

Pass that contact info along to Stevie... The IRS would be more than happy to take in his voluntary contributions.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTears View Post

Here's the way it works. Most illegal Mexicans and Central Americans work real hard, both husband and wife. They put in so many hours working that they don't have sufficient time and energy to raise their kids properly. That's how the gangs get hold of their kids.

Because of their circumstances the primary objective of illegal Mexicans and Central Americans is assistance in dealing with their economic struggle. The only source of assistance are federal, state and local governments. Thus, it is in the economic interests of the illegals and their supporters and sympathizers that govt. be big and profligate.

Then again if the rich were not so cheap and paid a living wage or take advantage of illegals the immigrants would not have this problem would they?

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+2
#13  Top Rated Post
The rich in california are mainly republican right? You know, all those actors and entertainment/media folk that we hear all the time are skewed to the.... oh, wait....hmmmm.

tay
+2
www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7jGky6IyV4