New black hole 50p coin to commemorate Stephen Hawking


Blackleaf
+2
#1  Top Rated Post
Prof Stephen Hawking has been honoured on a new 50p coin inspired by his pioneering work on black holes.

The physicist died last year at the age of 76, having become one of the most renowned leaders in his field.

He joins an elite group of scientists to have appeared on coins, including Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin.

Prof Stephen Hawking commemorated on new 50p coin


12 March 2019
BBC News


Prof Stephen Hawking died last March after decades as one of Britain's most recognisable scientists

Prof Stephen Hawking has been honoured on a new 50p coin inspired by his pioneering work on black holes.

The physicist died last year at the age of 76, having become one of the most renowned leaders in his field.

He joins an elite group of scientists to have appeared on coins, including Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin.

Designer Edwina Ellis said: "I wanted to fit a big black hole on the tiny coin and wish he was still here chortling at the thought."


Designer Edwina Ellis wanted to fit a black hole on to the coin

She said she wanted to reflect the way he "made difficult subjects accessible, engaging and relatable", in particular on black holes.

Prof Hawking's daughter Lucy visited the Royal Mint with her brother Tim to see the coins.

She said: "It is a great privilege to be featured on a coin and I hope my father would be pleased to be alongside Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin as scientists who have made it on to money."

Prof Hawking explained black holes in his best-selling book A Brief History Of Time.

He once told the BBC he thought his discovery that black holes were not entirely black would be his "greatest achievement".


Stephen Hawking explained black holes in his best-seller A Brief History of Time

At the age of 22 Prof Hawking was given only a few years to live after being diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease.

The illness left him in a wheelchair and largely unable to speak except through a voice synthesiser, but he rose to serve as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University for 30 years.

After his death on 14 March 2018, crowds lined the streets to bid farewell.

People can buy the commemorative coins from the Royal Mint's website, with prices starting at 10 for a brilliant uncirculated version, climbing to 795 for a gold proof coin.

Prof Hawking has also been suggested as the new face of the 50 banknote, which will feature a scientist. A decision will be made in the summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-47527505
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#2
Quote:

Designer Edwina Ellis wanted to fit a black hole on to the coin


Certainly an apt metaphor for modern Britain.
 
Blackleaf
+1
#3
It's the new Brexit 50p coin which makes me laugh.

It says "29th March 2019" on it, yet our inept politicians will make that date on that coin wrong if they extend Article 50.


 
Tecumsehsbones
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

It's the new Brexit 50p coin which makes me laugh.

I'm quite surprised that anything can pull you out of your whimpering self-pity enough to laugh, except possibly watching a bunch of Brexiteers beating up a non-white person.
 
Blackleaf
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I'm quite surprised that anything can pull you out of your whimpering self-pity enough to laugh, except possibly watching a bunch of Brexiteers beating up a non-white person.

Is that what seeking independence for your country does? It makes you a racist?

Following your logic, all those Americans who fought for independence were racist, bigoted, Little Americaners.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Is that what seeking independence for your country does? It makes you a racist?

No, racism, like English and slavery, is one of the things we kept from Britain.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Following your logic, all those Americans who fought for independence were racist, bigoted, Little Americaners.

While true, how is that relevant to the 50p coin?

Maybe you're posting this in the wrong thread, enit?

Given how stupid you are, that'd be unsurprising.
 
Blackleaf
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

While true, how is that relevant to the 50p coin?
Maybe you're posting this in the wrong thread, enit?
Given how stupid you are, that'd be unsurprising.

You're making yourself look daft.
 
Blackleaf
+2
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

No, racism, like English and slavery, is one of the things we kept from Britain.

Well you seemed to like slavery. You didn't abolish it until 60 years or so after we did.
 
taxslave
+1
#10
The black hole does kind of represent the EU.
 
Blackleaf
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

The black hole does kind of represent the EU.

Just a shame that Hawking was a Remainer.

He said Brexit would be "a disaster" for British science.

Yeah, Stephen. British science will no longer get the EU funding that created great scientists such as Newton, Halley, Herschel, Darwin, Crick, Davy, Fleming, Faraday, Lovelace, Priestley, Turing and yourself.
 
Curious Cdn
#12
Sums it up nicely ... the Sterling swirreling down the drain ...
 
darkbeaver
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Just a shame that Hawking was a Remainer.

He said Brexit would be "a disaster" for British science.

Yeah, Stephen. British science will no longer get the EU funding that created great scientists such as Newton, Halley, Herschel, Darwin, Crick, Davy, Fleming, Faraday, Lovelace, Priestley, Turing and yourself.


Hawkins himself existed as the greatest disaster in British science. He has produced no science whatever to challenge even that surrounding the hand operated can opener. The physics of the common rubber band eclipses Hawkins entire body of non real non physics and the adulation heaped on his theoretical magic describes the horrible state of much of science today, already in an demonstratable state of retardation.
 
Curious Cdn
#14
Wouldn't give 50P for him, eh?
 

Similar Threads

36
A letter to Stephen Hawking
by selfsame | Mar 19th, 2018
28
Stephen Hawking has a question for you
by Kreskin | Jul 31st, 2015
0
Stephen Hawking to listen for aliens
by spaminator | Jul 21st, 2015
1
Stephen Hawking is 'very ill' in hospital
by Blackleaf | Apr 20th, 2009
10
Hawking's New Black Hole Theory
by moghrabi | Jul 23rd, 2004