More on if the U.S. paid attention to the rest of the world......

Someone
As promised, I would make this another thread, since I think this topic deserves a thread of its own.

Like I said, Canada, though being a G8 nation, doesn't have to deal with the rest of the world even half as much as the U.S. does. More Americans who do pay attention to the rest of the world are more likely to pay attention to countries in Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Asia.

But MOST OF ALL..... the U.S. has another neighbour.....MEXICO!!!! Have you heard that the U.S.-Mexico border is the most crossed border in the world, with over 30 million crossings per year? That's similar to Canada's total population! I work in the public schools, where I often deal with classrooms that are predominantly Mexican/Hispanic - sometimes entire classrooms are 100% Hispanic. Letters home get translated in Spanish, bilingual education classrooms are left and right, heck California is now 40% Hispanic!

Sure, I've also met Canadians in the public schools here. They blend in better than not only immigrants from all the other countries, but even better than AMERICANS from southern and midwestern states!!! For one thing, they don't have accents that people from Arkansas do. How can we notice them if they don't stick out that much? At least we're not making their homework bilingual or serving poutine and maple syrup as part of their lunches!

Oh yeah, between Canada and the U.S., 1,000 officers patrol that border. 10 times as many people on the U.S. SIDE ALONE patrol the Mexican border. 500,000 people cross that border illegally every year! Can the Canadian border compare in how many cross that border?

Some estimates say that there are 8-12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. One estimate says 20-38 million. The vast majority are Mexicans, many others are non-Mexicans who have used the Mexican border. Numbers that come from Canada are likely puny in comparison!!!

In fact, Canada should be concerned about Mexico too. I have read news stories about Mexicans who come illegally to the U.S. and live here for a while until fears of an illegal immigration crackdown come into play. Then they flee to Canada and seek asylum. And in fact, more and more Mexicans are doing that then ever.

Again, I agree that Americans should pay attention to the rest of the world. But should that time come, don't expect Canada to get much of it, unless Canadians start coming to the U.S. legally and illegally by the millions every year (which I don't see happening as long as Canada remains even more stable than the U.S. is, as it stands right now).

earth_as_one
Americans think the US is the greatest country in the world and everyone outside the US wants to live in the US. But ask Canadians if they want to live in the US and most would say no. Because of our social welfare system, poor Canadians are typically better off than poor Americans. Most Canadians who work in the US do so legally as per the terms of NAFTA. In fact US recruitment of Canadian doctors and nurses has created shortages here.

Probably the biggest American problem originating from Canada relates to marijauna, which is grown here illegally and exported to the US. In return American criminals export cocaine and handguns to Canada.

In general most Canadians like Americans and we welcome you to Canada. But eight years of Bush has done much to erode that sentiment. The Bush administration was fairly ignorant of and rude toward Canada.

Hopefully Obama will repair some of the damage to our mutually beneficial relationship.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Someone:

Don't put too much stock in what EAO says. Most Canadians I know would have no problems living in the states. Only the real left-wingers have a problem.

Someone
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

Americans think the US is the greatest country in the world and everyone outside the US wants to live in the US. But ask Canadians if they want to live in the US and most would say no. Because of our social welfare system, poor Canadians are typically better off than poor Americans. Most Canadians who work in the US do so legally as per the terms of NAFTA. In fact US recruitment of Canadian doctors and nurses has created shortages here.

Probably the biggest American problem originating from Canada relates to marijauna, which is grown here illegally and exported to the US. In return American criminals export cocaine and handguns to Canada.

In general most Canadians like Americans and we welcome you to Canada. But eight years of Bush has done much to erode that sentiment. The Bush administration was fairly ignorant of and rude toward Canada.

Hopefully Obama will repair some of the damage to our mutually beneficial relationship.

earth_as_one, I agree with you 100% on your statement. However, this doesn't say anything about what I see as Mexico being an even bigger source of concern.

I would like to see better relations between the U.S. and Canada as well. However, with all the illegal immigrants from Mexico that I live and work around everyday, Mexico is a much bigger concern for me.

I don't mind illegal immigration too much, but just think that Canada only has 500,000 such people, while the U.S. has over 50 times as many!! That's the difference.

And to tell you the truth, I have often expressed desire to live in Canada. That way, this issue would be less of a concern for me.