If the U.S. paid attention to the rest of the world.....


Someone
#1
Lately, I've been reading some news stories and perspectives on Canada-U.S. relations. Canadians were glad that the current President chose Canada for his first presidential visit to another country, while they were offended by the last one visiting Mexico instead. I've read a story about "Is Obama good for Canada?" often commenting on not wanting the U.S to neglect Canada while it deals with other affairs. I've watched clips of Rick Mercer "talking to Americans," and what Americans don't know.

I myself am from California, and I have a perspective that I feel most Canadians don't care about. I do agree that too many Americans don't pay attention to the rest of the world, and it drives me nuts. I do wonder how the world's leader can be so ignorant of others.

But....... if Americans started paying attention to the rest of the world, how much priority would Canada have?

While Canada really only worries about the U.S., the U.S. has too many others to think about. For one thing, there's the many countries overseas that are hotspots for global instability, as well as those that are economic, political, and military rivals. Hence, for some Americans that do pay attention to other countries, they often take the most interest in countries of Europe, Middle East, Africa, and Asia.

The main reason why I pay attention to Canada is because my dad's brother moved to Vancouver from the Philippines when I was 11, and my parents and I have made many visits there since. From there, we have taken curiousity as to what other regions look like, and we have seen Alberta and southern Ontario. I have also been to Quebec. I like it a lot in Canada, and I find the stunning similarities yet stunning differences so intriguing.

But if it weren't for that, I don't know how much I would notice Canada. Sure, it's the largest trading partner of the U.S. But I don't notice that in my everyday life, with or without the media. I'm around a lot of Filipinos, who prefer to pay attention to the Philippines, and a lot of Mexicans, who care more about Mexico.

My family is from the Philippines, so we pay attention a lot to that country. Many other people in the U.S. of recent immigrant origin pay attention to their home country.

And then there's the Mexican border. I will talk more about this in another thread, but I can say that it is the most crossed border in the world. There are more Mexicans in the U.S. than there are Canadians (and non-Canadians) in Canada.

I agree that Americans should be paying attention to the rest of the world. But should that day come, don't expect Canada to get top billing as long as you retain a similar culture to Americans (compared to the rest of the world) and don't develop the attention that countries overseas are getting, or send 500,000 illegal immigrants across the border every yea.
 
earth_as_one
#2
Canadians expect that Americans know at least a little bit about their biggest trading partner.

Americans should be aware that Canada is to the north and we share the world's longest undefended border. We are your greatest source of energy and raw materials. We expect the US to respect their agreements (NAFTA) with us, rather than pick and choose the parts you like.

Do at least that and we won't ridicule you or complain about or relationship with you.
 
Night Owl
Free Thinker
#3
First you say it drives you nuts that American's don't pay attention to the rest of the world, then admit that had it not been for your Uncle living here you you wouldn't even notice Canada?

And as far as the "attention" America gives to some of the the rest of the world, I think I'll settle for not having top billing.
 
Tyr
Free Thinker
#4
Traditionally, Canada has always been the first country an incoming president visits. It's not that big a deal.

What is a much bigger deal, is that the US is no longer dealing from a position of strength and will meet some significant opposition (even if it is from the American clone - Harper) to issues that are contrary to Canada's intersts (NW passage, teh arctic, Iraq, Afghanistan and non-protectionism)
 
Someone
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post

First you say it drives you nuts that American's don't pay attention to the rest of the world, then admit that had it not been for your Uncle living here you you wouldn't even notice Canada?

Probably not, because then, the vast majority of my attention would go to Mexico and the Philippines! In my everyday life, I deal FAR MORE with those people than with Canadians. And the visits I currently make to Canada would be replaced by visits to Mexico (since it's closer and I know more such people) and the Philippines (because of my relatives).

Quote: Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post

And as far as the "attention" America gives to some of the the rest of the world, I think I'll settle for not having top billing.

That's good, because with the millions of people that come here both illegally and legally from Mexico, Mexico will get higher billing. I live a bit further from Mexico, but in southern California, Mexico takes up soooo much attention that there's hardly any left for Canada. Since I work with so many Mexicans, I for sure will be noticing Mexico more. Then there's the rest of the world, but that's another story.
 
Night Owl
Free Thinker
#6
Okay I am a new poster here but feel I can ask, is it necessary to have 3 threads on the same topic? Wouldn't be easier to keep all the responses in 1 place?
 
Someone
#7
I meant to have two, I accidentally duplicated my second thread. But the second thread was necessary because I feel like attention to Mexico is important.
 
Night Owl
Free Thinker
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Someone View Post

Probably not, because then, the vast majority of my attention would go to Mexico and the Philippines! In my everyday life, I deal FAR MORE with those people than with Canadians. And the visits I currently make to Canada would be replaced by visits to Mexico (since it's closer and I know more such people) and the Philippines (because of my relatives).



That's good, because with the millions of people that come here both illegally and legally from Mexico, Mexico will get higher billing. I live a bit further from Mexico, but in southern California, Mexico takes up soooo much attention that there's hardly any left for Canada. Since I work with so many Mexicans, I for sure will be noticing Mexico more. Then there's the rest of the world, but that's another story.

So basically you're saying you think American's should pay more attention to the rest of the world, but you won't. Gotcha!
 
Someone
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post

So basically you're saying you think American's should pay more attention to the rest of the world, but you won't. Gotcha!

Ummm....... duhhhhhhhhhh, did you read what I typed? Mexico and the Philippines aren't U.S. states, you know. A lot of Americans don't pay attention to ANY country outside the U.S. I do, I just chose these two.

Ever heard that Mexico and the Philippines might be part of the rest of the world?

By the way, is Canada the only other country in the world? Just because I wouldn't notice Canada, that doesn't mean I wouldn't notice 190 other countries in the world. I mean, if more Americans started paying attention to other countries, Canada is not their only choice.

Oh yeah, if my uncle didn't live in Canada, why would I pay attention to it when my folks are from the PHILIPPINES????!!!!! And when I deal with MILLIONS of legal and illegal immigrants from MEXICO???!!!!!
 
Night Owl
Free Thinker
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Someone View Post

Ummm....... duhhhhhhhhhh, did you read what I typed? Mexico and the Philippines aren't U.S. states, you know. A lot of Americans don't pay attention to ANY country outside the U.S. I do, I just chose these two.

Ever heard that Mexico and the Philippines might be part of the rest of the world?

By the way, is Canada the only other country in the world? Just because I wouldn't notice Canada, that doesn't mean I wouldn't notice 190 other countries in the world. I mean, if more Americans started paying attention to other countries, Canada is not their only choice.

Oh yeah, if my uncle didn't live in Canada, why would I pay attention to it when my folks are from the PHILIPPINES????!!!!! And when I deal with MILLIONS of legal and illegal immigrants from MEXICO???!!!!!

Wow, simmer down. I simply pointed out that you first say America not paying attention to the rest of the world drives you nuts, then say that you you wouldn't pay attention either if it weren't for a family member living in another country. Just seemed like a contradiction to me.
 
Someone
#11
Sorry, it seemed like you were mocking me at first. And I guess to have that when my mood is not at it's best didn't help.
No, I understand your point now. I hope you understand mine as well. I know that on this forum, there are a lot of hotheads, and I guess I thought you were another one of those guys, so I reacted as if I would to another such person.
In general, there's no need for tensions among any countries.
I admit, however, that before my uncle lived in Canada, the Philippines was the one country that I paid the most attention too. Then came Mexico, since it's too hard for Californians to ignore Mexico.
Now, however, I would live in Canada to escape the annoying isolationist attitudes of many Americans, the aggravating race relations topic between blacks and everyone else, and the irritating whining coming from Mexicans who want full rights here even if they're here illegally and complain that all other immigrants are doing better economically than they are.
If Canada has these problems, they're obviously on a much smaller scale!
I see you're from Calgary. My mom has cousins in Edmonton as well. It seems to me that Alberta is the best province to live.
 
Night Owl
Free Thinker
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Someone View Post

Sorry, it seemed like you were mocking me at first. And I guess to have that when my mood is not at it's best didn't help.
No, I understand your point now. I hope you understand mine as well. I know that on this forum, there are a lot of hotheads, and I guess I thought you were another one of those guys, so I reacted as if I would to another such person.
In general, there's no need for tensions among any countries.
I admit, however, that before my uncle lived in Canada, the Philippines was the one country that I paid the most attention too. Then came Mexico, since it's too hard for Californians to ignore Mexico.
Now, however, I would live in Canada to escape the annoying isolationist attitudes of many Americans, the aggravating race relations topic between blacks and everyone else, and the irritating whining coming from Mexicans who want full rights here even if they're here illegally and complain that all other immigrants are doing better economically than they are.
If Canada has these problems, they're obviously on a much smaller scale!
I see you're from Calgary. My mom has cousins in Edmonton as well. It seems to me that Alberta is the best province to live.

No worries and no need to apologise.
Canada has it's share of problems much like the states but of course, like you say, on a smaller scale.
Yup I'm in Calgary, best damn city in the province (I expect to hear about that one). Oh and good save saying Alberta is the best province to live in.