Losing Military Supremacy


darkbeaver
+2
#1
Book Review - Losing Military Supremacy: The Myopia of American Strategic Planning by Andrei Martyanov



The fact that the US is facing a profound crisis, possibly the worst one in its history, is accepted by most observers, except maybe the most delusional ones.
When speaking of this crisis, most people will mention the deindustrialization, the drop in real income, the lack of well-paid jobs, healthcare, crime, immigration, pollution, education, and a myriad of other contributing factors. But of all the aspects of the “American dream”, the single most resilient one has been the myth of the US military as “the finest fighting force in history”.
Americans have no experience of real warfare (that is warfare in defense of their own land, family and friends) at all. For Americans warfare is killing the other guy in his own country, preferably from afar or above, while making a ton of money in the process. For Russians, warfare is simply about surviving at any and all cost. The difference couldn’t be greater.



 
Hoid
-1
#2
American military supremacy has never been so complete
 
Curious Cdn
+4
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Book Review - Losing Military Supremacy: The Myopia of American Strategic Planning by Andrei Martyanov



The fact that the US is facing a profound crisis, possibly the worst one in its history, is accepted by most observers, except maybe the most delusional ones.
When speaking of this crisis, most people will mention the deindustrialization, the drop in real income, the lack of well-paid jobs, healthcare, crime, immigration, pollution, education, and a myriad of other contributing factors. But of all the aspects of the “American dream”, the single most resilient one has been the myth of the US military as “the finest fighting force in history”.
Americans have no experience of real warfare (that is warfare in defense of their own land, family and friends) at all. For Americans warfare is killing the other guy in his own country, preferably from afar or above, while making a ton of money in the process. For Russians, warfare is simply about surviving at any and all cost. The difference couldn’t be greater.



One of the big issues that the US faces as a result of their out-of-control Defence budgets is that an increasingly large percentage of their resources is spent on materiel that do not produce any wealth. F-35s are not a wealth creating investment. They draw wealth and and return nothing. You have to do a certain amount of that in a dangerous world but not to the extent that the US has. Out-of-control military expenditure had a lot to do with the end of the Roman Empire, the Soviet Empire, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Second German Reich ... probably Egypt and Babylon, for that matter.
 
darkbeaver
+1 / -1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

American military supremacy has never been so complete


A complete fable for certain.
 
gopher
#5
Quote:

darkbeaver


The fact that the US is facing a profound crisis, possibly the worst one in its history, is accepted by most observers, except maybe the most delusional ones.




No, no, no, no. We have no such problem. After all the Savior is in the White House.




Quote:

A complete fable for certain.



Your idea that the USA military is weak certainly is. Just try to prove it.
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Your idea that the USA military is weak certainly is. Just try to prove it.

Strong alliances and friendships will keep you there. Maybe just, both those things are sources of the USA's vast power, too.

The US Navy understands that (See Rimpac 2018.)

U.S. Navy Announces 26th Rim of the Pacific Exercise

Your Prezeedent, not so much.
 
Bar Sinister
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Book Review - Losing Military Supremacy: The Myopia of American Strategic Planning by Andrei Martyanov



The fact that the US is facing a profound crisis, possibly the worst one in its history, is accepted by most observers, except maybe the most delusional ones.
When speaking of this crisis, most people will mention the deindustrialization, the drop in real income, the lack of well-paid jobs, healthcare, crime, immigration, pollution, education, and a myriad of other contributing factors. But of all the aspects of the “American dream”, the single most resilient one has been the myth of the US military as “the finest fighting force in history”.
Americans have no experience of real warfare (that is warfare in defense of their own land, family and friends) at all. For Americans warfare is killing the other guy in his own country, preferably from afar or above, while making a ton of money in the process. For Russians, warfare is simply about surviving at any and all cost. The difference couldn’t be greater.






On the other hand, Russia hasn't fought a major war since 1945, unless you count Afghanistan and Chechnya, two wars in which Russia performed very badly.
 
darkbeaver
-1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

On the other hand, Russia hasn't fought a major war since 1945, unless you count Afghanistan and Chechnya, two wars in which Russia performed very badly.




Suggest the major war that you suppose the USA might have engaged in, and the USSR fought in both Afghanistan and Chechnya not the Russia.




And now for your reading unenjoyment.


The USA Is Now a 3rd World Nation By Charles Hugh Smith
July 09, 2018 " Information Clearing House " - Dividing the Earth's nations into 1st, 2nd and 3rd world has fallen out of favor; apparently it offended sensibilities. It has been replaced by the politically correct developed and developing nations, a terminology which suggests all developing nations are on the pathway to developed-nation status.

What's been lost in jettisoning the 1st, 2nd and 3rd world categories is the distinction between developing (2nd world) and dysfunctional states (3rd world) , states we now label "failed states."
But 3rd World implied something quite different from "failed state": failed state refers to a failed government of a nation-state, i.e. a government which no longer fulfills the minimum duties of a functional state: basic security, rule of law, etc.
3rd World referred to a nation-state which was dysfunctional and parasitic for the vast majority of its residents but that worked extremely well for entrenched elites who controlled most of the wealth and political power. Unlike failed states, which by definition are unstable, 3rd World nations are stable, for the reason that they work just fine for the elites who dominate the wealth, power and machinery of governance. The USA Is Now a 3rd World Nation
Here are the core characteristics of dysfunctional but stable states that benefit the entrenched few at the expense of the many, i.e. 3rd World nations :
1. Ownership of stocks and other assets is highly concentrated in entrenched elites. The average household is disconnected from the stock market and other measures of wealth; only a thin sliver of households own enough financial/speculative wealth to make an actual difference in their lives.
2. The infras
 
Hoid
+1
#9
Russia cannot even defeat the Ukraine which has no military.

Anyone placing the Russians in the SuperPower category is sadly out of date.

So even if the US military declines in the absolute sense, relative to the row they are stronger than they gave ever been.

If Trump wants to with draw from conflicts around the world that America is largely responsible for then that will be a good thing for everyone.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Russia cannot even defeat the Ukraine which has no military.

Anyone placing the Russians in the SuperPower category is sadly out of date.

So even if the US military declines in the absolute sense, relative to the row they are stronger than they gave ever been.

If Trump wants to with draw from conflicts around the world that America is largely responsible for then that will be a good thing for everyone.


Ukraine is not involved in a conflict with Russia or it would already have ceased to be. Crimea separated from Ukraine democratically and there is nothing Kiev can do about it except stupidly lose what they still have. Read the article and others and you might understand what has happened to that nation, it,s been systematically emptied and now they have inescapable debt which the nations elite looters will leave to the general American tax payer to tend. It,s an old game but it still works, almost every time. F-35s anyone?
 
Bar Sinister
-1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Suggest the major war that you suppose the USA might have engaged in, and the USSR fought in both Afghanistan and Chechnya not the Russia.




And now for your reading unenjoyment.


The USA Is Now a 3rd World Nation By Charles Hugh Smith
July 09, 2018 " Information Clearing House " - Dividing the Earth's nations into 1st, 2nd and 3rd world has fallen out of favor; apparently it offended sensibilities. It has been replaced by the politically correct developed and developing nations, a terminology which suggests all developing nations are on the pathway to developed-nation status.

What's been lost in jettisoning the 1st, 2nd and 3rd world categories is the distinction between developing (2nd world) and dysfunctional states (3rd world) , states we now label "failed states."
But 3rd World implied something quite different from "failed state": failed state refers to a failed government of a nation-state, i.e. a government which no longer fulfills the minimum duties of a functional state: basic security, rule of law, etc.
3rd World referred to a nation-state which was dysfunctional and parasitic for the vast majority of its residents but that worked extremely well for entrenched elites who controlled most of the wealth and political power. Unlike failed states, which by definition are unstable, 3rd World nations are stable, for the reason that they work just fine for the elites who dominate the wealth, power and machinery of governance. The USA Is Now a 3rd World Nation
Here are the core characteristics of dysfunctional but stable states that benefit the entrenched few at the expense of the many, i.e. 3rd World nations :
1. Ownership of stocks and other assets is highly concentrated in entrenched elites. The average household is disconnected from the stock market and other measures of wealth; only a thin sliver of households own enough financial/speculative wealth to make an actual difference in their lives.
2. The infras




Vietnam. I'd say the commitment of 500,000 troops was a major war. But what is your point, I was not discussing the US military. Are you saying that the Russian military is better than its recent performance?





Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

Ukraine is not involved in a conflict with Russia or it would already have ceased to be. Crimea separated from Ukraine democratically and there is nothing Kiev can do about it except stupidly lose what they still have. Read the article and others and you might understand what has happened to that nation, it,s been systematically emptied and now they have inescapable debt which the nations elite looters will leave to the general American tax payer to tend. It,s an old game but it still works, almost every time. F-35s anyone?




Russia's intended goal was the annexation of the entire Black Sea coast, leaving Ukraine landlocked. That did not happen even with the help of Russian troops posing as freedom fighters.



And you need to redefine your use of the term Third World. The term is actually out of date and has been replaced by the term "developing nation." In any case, the USA is far from a developing nation. It is a nation beset with problems of its own making to be sure, but it is not developing.
 
gopher
#12
''The USA Is Now a 3rd World Nation''


Evidently, Smith intended that as an April Fool joke.
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

''The USA Is Now a 3rd World Nation''


Evidently, Smith intended that as an April Fool joke.

We'll send aid, don't you worry.

We all know that there are millions of starving children in West Virginia who would just love to tuck into a steaming bowl of poutine.
 
gopher
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

We'll send aid, don't you worry.

We all know that there are millions of starving children in West Virginia who would just love to tuck into a steaming bowl of poutine.



that's what we really need in the States ~ poutine chow houses in every neighborhood
 
darkbeaver
#15


Development moves in at least two directions.
 
gopher
+1
#16
USA needs to take a few lessons from Canada, so let's summarize ~ here in the States we need,


¶ poutine houses in every town

¶ a Tim Horton franchise is every corner

¶ re-runs of "Sgt Preston" & "Littlest Hobo" every week on nationwide tv

¶ film fests of "Trailer Park Boys" & "Renfrew of the Royal Mounted Police" movies

¶ ban the phrase "Blame Canada"

¶ change the national symbol to Canadian Geese

¶ make lacrosse the national sport




Any more constructive ideas on the subject ?
 
Walter
#17
Kaboom!
 
darkbeaver
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

USA needs to take a few lessons from Canada, so let's summarize ~ here in the States we need,


¶ poutine houses in every town

¶ a Tim Horton franchise is every corner

¶ re-runs of "Sgt Preston" & "Littlest Hobo" every week on nationwide tv

¶ film fests of "Trailer Park Boys" & "Renfrew of the Royal Mounted Police" movies

¶ ban the phrase "Blame Canada"

¶ change the national symbol to Canadian Geese

¶ make lacrosse the national sport




Any more constructive ideas on the subject ?



That,s not Canada.
 
Hoid
#19
military superiority is moot when you lack a commander in chief
 
gopher
#20
^ especially one with bone spurs
 
DaSleeper
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

military superiority is moot when you lack a commander in chief

Says the one who thinks he's an expert in everything!
 
Walter
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Says the one who thinks he's an expert in everything!

Is an expert in everything, just ask him. Hoid = Avro = troll
 
Curious Cdn
#23
Trump's military parade is still on!

That'll make America great again!

Trump's military parade will cost nearly as much as canceled Korean military exercise
 
DaSleeper
+2
#24
 
Walter
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Trump's military parade is still on!

That'll make America great again!

Trump's military parade will cost nearly as much as canceled Korean military exercise

When it comes to Trump, CNN cannot tell the truth.
 
Curious Cdn
+1 / -2
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

When it comes to Trump, CNN cannot tell the truth.

When it comes to truth, Trump cannot tell it.

Neither, apparently can Walter, just in case you didn't know that, already.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Jul 19th, 2018 at 09:47 AM..
 
Walter
+1
#27
Military eyes 16-year-olds as ranks and candidates dwindle
https://m.washingtontimes.com/

Trump’s economy is the problem.
 
Walter
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

When it comes to truth, Trump cannot tell it.
Neither, apparently can Walter, just in case you didn't know that, already.

Rent-free.
 
MHz
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Military eyes 16-year-olds as ranks and candidates dwindle
https://m.washingtontimes.com/

Trump’s economy is the problem.

Unlike endless wars where the adults stay home and send some kids who don't know the whole story. Sound like something a capatalost would do rather than stop the wars as that would harm their yearly income. That about sum things up Walnut??
 
The Left
#30
Fear the US if them want grow the Army troops to 800,000 Army soldiers the US want too have 270,000 maners Air Force and Fleet or Air Force and too the Army no sailors by two part and too Marine Corps in deep south border the Army all time bigger in the US plus now if it want grow in sizes.
 

Similar Threads

15
Female Supremacy
by ShintoMale | Jun 9th, 2014
0
A movie to see: Bourne Supremacy
by Andem | Aug 11th, 2004