If Americans knew more about the rest of the world.....

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

And their blue oxen are so cute!

Was Big Paul a Svede ya think?

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

And yet not the Ukrainians!

**** the Poles!

and Botswanans

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

**** the Poles!

and Botswanans

Yer prejudiced!

petros
+1
I hate Botswana and the Poles couldn't make good head cheese if their lives depended on it.

Gilgamesh
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post

I took World Geography in the 6th grade. That was in the 1954-1955 school year for me. I was already well aware of Canada, of the various Provinces in Canada, of their governmental system, and of much of it's history and customs long before that class.

You see, my father was born in Winnipeg, and I spent at least a portion of every summer visiting with my paternal grandfather and his 2nd wife in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and later in British Columbia. I did NOT realize that my father was a Canadian, because he hid that fact from everyone (he was an illegal immigrant to the USA).

But, my class, in the very small town of Ukiah, California, studied the majority of the countries of the world back in 1954-1955; studied their governmental systems, knew where they were in the world, and had a pretty good idea of their commerce, imports/exports, etc.

We ALL knew where Canada was located. And frankly, I do not believe those "polls" that claim to show that Americans are so ignorant of their neighbor to the North. You can easily slant a poll, by the way the questions are asked.

But frankly, Canada is of little importance to most Americans. It contains just about the same number of people as ONE of the 50 States does. It's economy is smaller than the economy of California. It has no significant military importance. There is nothing manufactured in Canada that can not be obtained elsewhere.

It does have vast natural resources, and those are needed (but once again, rarely is Canada the only source available). Canada's effect on the US economy if slight, at best.

So, to the average person living in the US, why should they really need to be aware of Canada? It is likely that many times more people know that Michael J. Fox is a Canadian, than would know the name of the Prime Minister.

And frankly, why would the vast majority of Canadians care whether Americans know much about Canada or not? To even be concerned about something like that is to display a severe inferiority complex.

Well said. In the times of the Roman Empire, and later on, the British Empire I would bet that the same complaints were heard.

The U.S knows little about most other countries because it can afford to.

Canada, for instance, just does not matter; period.

JLM
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post

I took World Geography in the 6th grade. That was in the 1954-1955 school year for me. I was already well aware of Canada, of the various Provinces in Canada, of their governmental system, and of much of it's history and customs long before that class.

I too attended grade six in '54 - '55, so I guess there's at least two of us left on the planet and a lot of stuff has gone to hell in a hand basket since then. They didn't take ANY shit from young brats in those days and we didn't dare defy them. We were seen and not heard and spoke when we were spoken to. Nowadays the "tail is wagging the dog".

Curious Cdn

I too attended grade six in '54 - '55, so I guess there's at least two of us left on the planet and a lot of stuff has gone to hell in a hand basket since then. They didn't take ANY shit from young brats in those days and we didn't dare defy them. We were seen and not heard and spoke when we were spoken to. Nowadays the "tail is wagging the dog".

Holy crap but you must have seen a lot of global warming as the continental glaciers retreated.

Jinentonix
+1

I hate Botswana and the Poles couldn't make good head cheese if their lives depended on it.

Nobody can. There's no such thing as "good" head cheese, it's an oxymoron. There's just headcheese that's slightly less disgusting than the others.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Nobody can. There's no such thing as "good" head cheese, it's an oxymoron. There's just headcheese that's slightly less disgusting than the others.

Ever heard of Prion diseases?

JLM
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

You obviously haven't tasted good head cheese. Your education has been sadly neglected!

petros
+1

You obviously haven't tasted good head cheese. Your education has been sadly neglected!

The idiots think it made from the animal head when it's what floats on top like the "head" on a beer.

The easy way to make it is ham, garlic and Knox gelatin but I prefer hocks and knuckles.

JLM
+3 / -1

The idiots think it made from the animal head when it's what floats on top like the "head" on a beer.

The easy way to make it is ham, garlic and Knox gelatin but I prefer hocks and knuckles.

And easy on the gelatin!

petros
+1
You like it meaty do ya?

Danbones
cheesy is always good

Curious Cdn

How did they make it in the Old Country, Petros?

Dead donkey?

Danbones
Well, I bet at your house they use abused children.

What only the bruised apples taste the best?

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post

Except for energy security, right?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post

And what kind of an Asshole are you - stay in the country where you belong!

JLM
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Except for energy security, right?

Well one thing for sure that doesn't matter...……………………..if that Asshole doesn't show up on our door step!

taxslave
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Holy crap but you must have seen a lot of global warming as the continental glaciers retreated.

All of Canada was under a mile of glacial ice then.

JLM
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Old CC can sure utter a load of stupid stuff, eh?

Curious Cdn

Old CC can sure utter a load of stupid stuff, eh?

yup yup

yer clever Clem

mrjoshua
Quote: Originally Posted by Someone View Post

if Americans did pay more attention to the rest of the world, do you really think Canada would be among the highest priority among the world's countries?

I don't know.

Now this: Destroy the USA and the people living there so that there will be no more bad people!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by mrjoshua View Post

I don't know.

Now this: Destroy the USA and the people living there so that there will be no more bad people!

A comment like that should penned in purple, otherwise you're an Asshole!

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mrjoshua View Post

I don't know.

Why don’t you fu-k off to some other forum , you add nothing of value here . We already have enough of that and don’t need another .

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Why don’t you fu-k off to some other forum , you add nothing of value here . We already have enough of that and don’t need another .

Gee, pigs!

I think that he out-trolled you and that takes some doing!

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

The Truthers get awfully quiet when that tiny fact is mentioned....But you know, ice free North pole since 2013 an all

JLM
+1 / -1

Gee, pigs!

I think that he out-trolled you and that takes some doing!

Being an ASSHOLE again today I see! Keep up the good work, you're succeeding! You'll be in the same league as Putz and T-Bone pretty soon!

Curious Cdn

Being an ASSHOLE again today I see! Keep up the good work, you're succeeding! You'll be in the same league as Putz and T-Bone pretty soon!

You mean, all the smart ones on this forum?

pgs
+1

You mean, all the smart ones on this forum?

Yes you are in great company . Poor misunderstood George .