From CNN: The case for gun rights is stronger than you think

Murphy
Bennett takes a look at armed vs unarmed. Part of his discussion is "gun free zones should be called "defencelss victim zones". Just because someone is mentally ill does not mean that they do not recognize targets of opportunity.
---

The case for gun rights is stronger than you think
By William J. Bennett, CNN Contributor

On NBC's "Meet the Press" this past Sunday, I was asked how we can make our schools safer and prevent another massacre like Sandy Hook from happening again. I suggested that if one person in the school had been armed and trained to handle a firearm, it might have prevented or minimized the massacre.

"And I'm not so sure -- and I'm sure I'll get mail for this -- I'm not so sure I wouldn't want one person in a school armed, ready for this kind of thing," I said. "The principal lunged at this guy. The school psychologist lunged at the guy. Has to be someone who's trained. Has to be someone who's responsible."

Well, I sure did get mail. Many people agreed with me and sent me examples of their son or daughter's school that had armed security guards, police officers or school employees on the premises. Many others vehemently disagreed with me, and one dissenter even wrote that the blood of the Connecticut victims was ultimately on the hands of pro-gun rights advocates.

To that person I would ask: Suppose the principal at Sandy Hook Elementary who was killed lunging at the gunman was instead holding a firearm and was well trained to use it. Would the result have been different? Or suppose you had been in that school when the killer entered, would you have preferred to be armed?

Evidence and common sense suggest yes.

In 2007, a gunman entered New Life Church in Colorado Springs and shot and killed two girls. Jeanne Assam, a former police officer stationed as a volunteer security guard at the church, drew her firearm, shot and wounded the gunman before he could kill anyone else. The gunman then killed himself.

In 1997, high school student Luke Woodham stabbed his mother to death and then drove to Pearl High School in Pearl, Mississippi, and shot and killed two people. He then got back in his car to drive to Pearl Junior High to continue his killings, but Joel Myrick, the assistant principal, ran to his truck and grabbed his pistol, aimed it at Woodham and made him surrender.

https://www.cnn.com/2012/12/19/opini...hts/index.html

Tecumsehsbones
+1
I just bought a .357 magnum revolver (waiting for delivery). Eight shots, rapid reload capability with "moon clips." I'm going to make it my standard, always-loaded-and-ready "house gun," in place of my current .40 calibre Glock (15 rounds in the clip, extra clips of 22 rounds).

Nobody is seriously proposing banning revolvers. Do you seriously believe I can't defend my home with a massively powerful, rapidly reloaded revolver?

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I just bought a .357 magnum revolver (waiting for delivery). Eight shots, rapid reload capability with "moon clips." I'm going to make it my standard, always-loaded-and-ready "house gun," in place of my current .40 calibre Glock (15 rounds in the clip, extra clips of 22 rounds).

Nobody is seriously proposing banning revolvers. Do you seriously believe I can't defend my home with a massively powerful, rapidly reloaded revolver?

What are the chances you will get invaded by someone in your house that won't run away when they see you are home?

Do you really think you would use that gun if someone broke into your home?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

What are the chances you will get invaded by someone in your house that won't run away when they see you are home?

Last year a woman was killed in a "home invasion robbery" less than a mile from my place.

Quote:

Do you really think you would use that gun if someone broke into your home?

In as long as it took me to pull the trigger. No warning, no shouting. You breach my door, you're a deader. The law supports me on that.

Durry

In as long as it took me to pull the trigger. No warning, no shouting. You breach my door, you're a deader. The law supports me on that.

Well you better hope it's not some drunk neighbor who lost his key and thought it was his house he was entering!!

Murphy

What about a lever action 357 magnum lever? It holds 10 rounds. You'd have a matching set. Use the rifle, and keep the handgun as a backup. You can buy the same ammunition for both.

[youtube]0NSRJqeDhA4[/youtube]

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

What about a lever action 357 magnum lever? It holds 10 rounds. You'd have a matching set. Use the rifle, and keep the handgun as a backup. You can buy the same ammunition for both.

[youtube]0NSRJqeDhA4[/youtube]

I plan to. Specifically a Marlin 1894. Same ammo for the carbine and the revolver.

Now, want to answer the question?

Murphy
I have a 357 lever, but sold my 686. I prefer a 44 special.

You should be able to defend your home with a revolver. You have concealment, a handgun, and hopefully, the element of surprise. Just hope there isn't a gang of mofos with shotguns or the dreaded automatic weapons like on TV.

pgs

Last year a woman was killed in a "home invasion robbery" less than a mile from my place.

How many homes in a square mile radius of yours , and how often do home invasion robberies occur in this neighbourhood?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

How many homes in a square mile radius of yours , and how often do home invasion robberies occur in this neighbourhood?

Boy howdy, y'all DESPERATE to divert, aint'cha?

Durry
Trying to put your threat into perspective, is all.

One person killed in a home invasion does seem like you need an army for defense???

Should read **does not**

Tecumsehsbones

Trying to put your threat into perspective, is all.

One person killed in a home invasion does seem like you need an army for defense???

A .357 magnum revolver ain't an army.

Until you master subtle points like that, ain't much use talking to you.

Durry
Ok, suit yourself!!

Seems like you can't defend a stupid activity anyways

Tecumsehsbones

Ok, suit yourself!!

Seems like you can't defend a stupid activity anyways

Maybe I could do it if I used wild exaggerations like calling one man with a revolver an army.

Durry
The exaggeration was used to highlight a point.
I know it's a little deep for you tho.

Bar Sinister
Why do some Americans think that the solution to the problem of too many guns is to add guns to places where they haven't been before. What's next, arming daycare staff?

pgs

Boy howdy, y'all DESPERATE to divert, aint'cha?

Not at all , just wondering why a rich successful internet lawyer is living in such a crowded sh-t hole neighbourhood that she worries about home invasions ?And curious about the frequency of said events ?

Hoid
+1 / -1

Do you seriously believe I can't defend my home with a massively powerful, rapidly reloaded revolver?

I seriously believe your family is in great danger from many things, and that a gun won't protect them from any of them.

The most likely person to get shot with your gun is your wife.

Murphy
+2
#19  Top Rated Post
Waldo, you're too young to have an opinion. Go play with your friends.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Not at all , just wondering why a rich successful internet lawyer is living in such a crowded sh-t hole neighbourhood that she worries about home invasions ?And curious about the frequency of said events ?

Anything to divert attention from the question, eh, pgs?

taxslave

There are people that are serious about banning revolvers in Canada. Out on the lunatic fringe there are people that want all guns banned. Whether anyone takes them seriously or not is a different matter.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Why do some Americans think that the solution to the problem of too many guns is to add guns to places where they haven't been before. What's next, arming daycare staff?

Unless you can figure out a way to disarm the crazies and criminals, then yes. Putting more restrictions on law abiding people is not going to solve the problem.

Curious Cdn
+1
Why don't I see any of this shoot-en-up shit in my World around me? Maybe, it's just a Western Canadian thing or maybe it's a foreign import thing and maybe, you guys are a bunch of wannabees and you're making up the petceived dangers to play out your fantasies.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Mar 26th, 2018 at 07:11 AM..

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Why don't I see any of this shoot-en-up shit in my World around me? Maybe, it's just a Western Canadian thing or maybe it's a foreign import thing and maybe, you guys are a bunch of wannabees and you're making up the petceived dangers to play out your fantacies.

Live in Surrey for a while. Or a remote farm on the prarries.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Live in Surrey for a while. Or a remote farm on the prarries.

If you are really surrounded by that sort of gun play in Surrey, these days, MOVE NOW!

taxslave
What? And miss all the free entertainment?

EagleSmack

Damn... you're armed.

I never liked the .357. I had the opportunity to fire it once though.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Damn... you're armed.

I never liked the .357. I had the opportunity to fire it once though.

I've always liked the calibre. To me it's powerful, but not as hard to handle as .44 magnum.

To each his own. I'll give y'all a range report in a couple weeks.

petros
For home invasion, I've put more thought into which walls I can take them out through before ever setting eyes on them.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

For home invasion, I've put more thought into which walls I can take them out through before ever setting eyes on them.

Don't be ridiculous. You can't shoot a man through a wall!

He might be white!

Curious Cdn

Don't be ridiculous. You can't shoot a man through a wall!

He might be white!

You can't take the chance, can up you?

Shoot away!

MAGA!