Conservative MPs demand accountability for India trip

Murphy
The Conservatives are keeping the heat on. Trudeau and the Liberal's poor judgment during their India trip doesn't want to go away. As many of us have talked about here, what was Trudeau thinking by playing Mr. Dressup? What was the media being told about his antics? And what about Jaspal Atwal?

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...l-mystery.html
---

MPs freed from House of Commons as Tories bring standoff tactics to an end
Retaliation after Liberals oppose having national security adviser talk to committee about India trip

After more than 20 hours of continuous voting, the Conservatives have ended their filibuster-like tit-for-tat tactics in the House of Commons.

The overnight vote was in retaliation after the Liberals voted down the Conservatives' motion to have the prime minister's national security adviser testify in front of a committee about the Jaspal Atwal affair.

"This has been a very, very long day," said Conservative House leader Candice Bergen just before MPs were given the OK to leave the floor Friday afternoon.

MPs have been voting on 250 motions since around dinner time on Thursday, which followed a full day of parliamentary work including question period.

The Conservatives had threatened to keep MPs in the House into the weekend, but they withdrew their amendment just before 3 p.m. ET on Friday.

The House was ruling on fiscal estimates, so every vote is a vote of confidence, keeping Liberal MPs close to their seats. A loss of confidence could have triggered an election.

But that doesn't mean they always had to be paying attention. Some MPs brought in books, magazine and iPads to keep themselves awake. One rookie Liberal MP was caught dancing to Lionel Richie's All Night Long while Heritage Minister Melanie Joly and other cabinet colleagues performed YMCA.
Conservatives wasting time: PM

Conservatives still maintain the disruption was warranted, given the government's refusal to let Daniel Jean testify at the national security committee about the briefing he gave journalists during Trudeau's India trip.

MPs freed from House of Commons as Tories bring standoff tactics to an end - Politics - CBC News

This isn't going away anytime soon.
Last edited by Murphy; Mar 23rd, 2018 at 05:41 PM..

White_Unifier
What did Justin accomplish in India that he couldn't have accomplished through e-mail, WhatsApp, or Skype. That's a serious question.

Hoid
Would it be possible to get a days work out of any of these wankers?

Murphy
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

What did Justin accomplish in India that he couldn't have accomplished through e-mail, WhatsApp, or Skype. That's a serious question.

Nothing. It was a holiday and semi official visit. I guess he got to write off part of his vacation to business.

pgs
Good keep it front and centre maybe more people will start to notice .

He got to introduce his wife and children to the wonders that are India , our future leaders must be well rounded donít you know.

Murphy
He also showed the world how much of an idiot the Canadian prime minister is. Apparently the Indian press got the message!

White_Unifier
His trip makes me sick. I mean seriously, I could buy a Samsung Galaxy J1 for not even 200.00, register a Telus SIM for 10.00/month just to get him an account and, with the help of Wi-Fi (and I assume Parliament has Wi-Fi), register a Google account and a Samsung account, download WhatsApp and Skype, send the Indian Prime Minister an e-mail message for him to download either WhatsApp or Skype or both as he prefers, and then agree to a time to chat. Yes, I know the time zones are different, but I'm sure they could chat while it's morning in one country and evening in the other, seriously.

So minus the cost of electricity and Wi-Fi, we'd be looking at a maximum of around 200.00 plus tax and he could still reuse that phone for many more meetings for at least the rest of his mandate. Heck, we could even let him keep the phone as a departure gift and just buy a new one for the next PM. I mean, seriously.

How much did his one trip cost the taxpayer?

Cliffy

Murphy
But where is the fun in being PM if you cannot spend the taxpayer's money and take your family around the world? His dad took him around the world on the taxpayer's dime. Like father, like son.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

But where is the fun in being PM if you cannot spend the taxpayer's money and take your family around the world? His dad took him around the world on the taxpayer's dime. Like father, like son.

Entitled to his entitlement .

captain morgan
Taking his family on taxpayer funded vacations might not make it on the radar had the economy been strong, but in this econ environment, everyone, and I mean everyone, is chocked about hearing about tater tot and wife's date-nites in high profile, expensive cities.

... The debacle that JT uses as an excuse for business is simply more insult to Canadian voters

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

So that's what you have shoved up your ass every time you whine about Trump.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

So that's what you have shoved up your ass every time you whine about Trump.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Good point. Trump has been doing much traveling as president too, eh. Damn North America is screwed.

I remember watching a video in which Jordan Peterson described how had he been an American, he could have leaned towards Hilary but might have ended up voting Trump more as an emotional reaction against her identity politics being even worse than Trump's, but that it really was a choice between two liars.

I personally would have cast a blank protest to just not legitimize either candidate.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Mar 24th, 2018 at 12:14 PM..

captain morgan

Good point. Trump has been doing much traveling as president too, eh.

A national leader must be prepared for a ton of travel.... but this is work, not a free family vacation for 10 days on the taxpayers dime and organize 1 or 2 meetings to pretend it's a business expense

I personally would have cast a blank protest to just not legitimize either candidate.

I agree

White_Unifier

A national leader must be prepared for a ton of travel.... but this is work, not a free family vacation for 10 days on the taxpayers dime and organize 1 or 2 meetings to pretend it's a business expense

I agree

No, I was referring to Trump visiting his golf courses and traveling more than previous presidents for leisure.

captain morgan
Fair enough.

Compare the general economy of the USA with that of Canada and then correlate that to the leisure trips.

PS - after only 2 weeks in returning to Canada from his family vaca in India, Trudeau had a well earned family vacation in Florida.

... Thoughts?

petros
+1

Fair enough.

Compare the general economy of the USA with that of Canada and then correlate that to the leisure trips.

PS - after only 2 weeks in returning to Canada from his family vaca in India, Trudeau had a well earned family vacation in Florida.

... Thoughts?

It's a quick hop by private plane to Havana to see uncle Raphael.

White_Unifier

Fair enough.

... Thoughts?

If he paid for it himself minus legitimate security for his office of Prime Minister, fair enough. As for the India trip though, he presented that as business.

petros
+2
The entire family trotting around in Halloween costumes for 4 days before "business" wasn't leisure?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The entire family trotting around in Halloween costumes for 4 days before "business" wasn't leisure?

I mean he tried to present it as leisure.

Now, I have nothing wrong with the PM deciding hey, I have to go on a business trip anyway, so why not make it a leisure trip at the same time. Makes sense. But as far as I can tell, that's not how he presented it. He presented it as primarily a business trip with leisure being just an added bonus. Based on that, he was quite misleading since that was clearly a leisure trip first and foremost and a business trip a distant second to that. Had he been honest about it and paid out pocket (minus legitimate security), fine. But that does not appear to be what he did.

If he's going to portray it as primarily a business trip, then we have every right to question why he didn't just use Skype.

Colpy
+3
#22  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Would it be possible to get a days work out of any of these wankers?

They are doing their job, which is holding the gov't to account.

The Liberals have seriously damaged our relations with the world's largest democracy, and politicized the civil service in an attempt to shield Justin from the consequences of his own lies and stupidity.

2019 can't come soon enough.

Hoid
are they protesting the jobs that are going to be created?

petros

I mean he tried to present it as leisure.

Now, I have nothing wrong with the PM deciding hey, I have to go on a business trip anyway, so why not make it a leisure trip at the same time. Makes sense. But as far as I can tell, that's not how he presented it. He presented it as primarily a business trip with leisure being just an added bonus. Based on that, he was quite misleading since that was clearly a leisure trip first and foremost and a business trip a distant second to that. Had he been honest about it and paid out pocket (minus legitimate security), fine. But that does not appear to be what he did.

If he's going to portray it as primarily a business trip, then we have every right to question why he didn't just use Skype.

"Added bonuses" are ethical violations.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

"Added bonuses" are ethical violations.

Not if he pays the leisure portion of the trip out of pocket. Did he do that though?

captain morgan
+1

Not if he pays the leisure portion of the trip out of pocket. Did he do that though?

But he isn't, is he?

Much like tater tot pimping his ass on the speaking tour at $30k per visit while he was supposed to be in Parliament, you know, getting paid to represent his constituents

White_Unifier

But he isn't, is he?

Much like tater tot pimping his ass on the speaking tour at $30k per visit while he was supposed to be in Parliament, you know, getting paid to represent his constituents

I never said he paid it. I was just making the hypothetical point that had he been honest about the fact that it was a leisure trip first and foremost and offered to pay the leisure portion of the trip (which in this case ought to have been most of it seeing how in practical terms, it was primarily a leisure trip), then I would not have seen anything particularly unethical about it.

My problem is with the fact that he's presented it as if it was primarily a business trip and, correct me if I'm wrong, he didn't even offer to pay for the leisure portion of it. And worse yet, when we analyse what he appears to have accomplished there, he could have accomplished the same at a fraction of the cost through Gmail, WhatsApp, and Skype on a lower-end Samsung smartphone over Wi-Fi.

As for his speaking tours, I totally agree with you that he should not be collecting money whenever Parliament is in session at the very least. And even when it's not in session, he shouldn't be accepting payment when he's hired in his capacity as PM (though I agree that it's a grey area if they're hiring him to speak about his father, his life outside of his position as PM, or as the son of Pierre. We could give him the benefit of the doubt there. But as far as I can tell, those speaking tours were hiring him in his capacity as an MP and they were sometimes while Parliament was in session, and that eliminates all moral ambiguity.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

They are doing their job, which is holding the gov't to account.

The Liberals have seriously damaged our relations with the world's largest democracy, and politicized the civil service in an attempt to shield Justin from the consequences of his own lies and stupidity.

2019 can't come soon enough.

Trudeau's actions as they relate to carting his family along on so many trips stands a very good chance of being regarded as a flagrant misuse of government funds.

Although election day is 2 years away, the campaigning will be starting up soon enough and I expect that all Parties will be reminding the public of JT's many very poor decisions on the travel agenda