Review: AlphaShield Internet Security Device (Alpha Shield)

Bob Carrick
AlphaShield – Internet Protection Hardware http://www.alphashield.com

Contents of the box
1 – AlphaShield
1 - 9V DC Adapter
1 - 6FT Ethernet cable
1 – Quick installation card
1 - Manual
1 - Plastic shelf for top of router (Presumably to stack a hub etc)

Ports
1 PC Port (RJ45 Ethernet) – Used to connect to your PCs Ethernet card, or the WAN port on your router
1 Cable/DSL Port (RJ45 Ethernet) – Used for your broadband modem
1 AUX Port (RJ45 Ethernet) – Used to bypass all security features
9 V DC Adapter
Reset button

Setup was as simple as they come.
1) Plug the DC adapter into the AlphaShield
2) Using a straight through Ethernet cable plug one end into your Broadband modem and the other into the “Cable/DSL” port on the AlphaShield
3) Using a straight through Ethernet cable plug one end into your Ethernet card (or the WAN port of your router) and the other end into the “PC” port on the AlphaShield
4) Choose your security feature using the switch on the back.
“15” - means after 15 minutes of Internet inactivity the AlphaShield shuts down completely blocking all traffic in and out.
“Auto” – means the AlphaShield stays on and blocks all incoming traffic
“Lock” – Means you manually have to click the grey “connect” button on the AlphaShield to allow access out to the Internet.

Using Shields up www.grc.com with the “Test my shields” test the AlphaShield passed.
With the “Probe my ports” test the AlphaShield passed. All ports were stealth.
Using the very extensive tests at www.sygatetech.com again the Alpha Shield passed all tests with flying colours.

This device, if on a network with a router, would go between the router and your broadband modem. But my router has firewall capabilities, you might say. Well not like this device. This device uses RPA Firewall Technology (Real-time Packet Authorization), as well as Stealth IP Technology and AlphaGAP Technology.

RPA Firewall Technology utilizes artificial intelligence infrastructure to monitor inbound and outbound data between the computer and the network or Internet. It inspects each packet of information and only allows access to the addresses the Internet user requested.
Stealth IP Technology conceals your IP address from being seen on the Internet, allowing you to use the Internet in complete privacy.
AlphaGAP Technology manages access to your computer system through a seamless disconnect, reconnection process.

Now why would someone need one of these “stealthy” devices? Basically, if you have one of these items connected between your modem and your PC no one, I mean no one, can connect to your computer, not even if you have a program like Morpheus running. The other good thing is if you connect to someone else’s computer first, then they can connect to you. AlphaShield provides complete Internet security protection. Hackers and all unwanted intruders are prevented from entering your PC. This device prevents DoS attacks, loss of data and confidentiality. Your computer is completely secure with the AlphaShield. http://www.alphashield.com

You can see another review on the Alpha Shield here: http://ccmagazine.com/reviewdetail.asp?ID=305

Shmad
Very nice Bob, whats the going price on this unit? It's the only piece left out

frubsen
Quote: Originally Posted by Shmad

Very nice Bob, whats the going price on this unit? It's the only piece left out

On the site it says $199.99 CAD

Bob Carrick
Yup that is the price $199.99 Canadian.

Shmad
I guess I could have actually looked. ah well been too busy running to the bathroom to hug the toilet this morning.

On another note, thats a nice little device.. I think i might look into getting one.

Anonymous
I'm wondering. If your computer is turned off, and you are under DoS attacks, if you will still be charged the bandwidth with Sympatico. If so, this might be a very useful tool in helping to cut your bandwidth charges. I'm going to look into it, and might even purchase it.

Bob Carrick
You can't have a DoS attack if your PC is not on, because you don't have an IP address without your PPPoE software being connected. If you have a router which is always on then yes you could have a DoS attack.

Anonymous
I can´t open in the alphashield any port to use Pc anywhere, vnc, related software or any other port?

moghrabi
They are selling it online for 149.00. It is a nice one and I agree it fives you total privacy and security.

aaroniekins
Its not what it claims
yes it does protect etc etc
It has NO configuration which makes it gimped
Also
after talking with my ISP, and disconnecting and reconnecting it 5 times and doing speed tests
weve figured out it cuts my download speed from 5000 to 2000
WOW!
Its cant keep up with "high speed", ive refunded it and gotten a linksys router for 50 less, which gives MORE protection, configuration, ROUTING ability, and configuration/flashing ability
They also claim it doesnt mess with MSN, it does, while its on lots of my messages are blocked..
Stay away from it

Shmad
I have this device and I have no problems with it. There is quite a lot of configuration with it. Maybe you failed to read the users guide? I've not experienced it cut my speeds nor block MSN or routing or anything else for that matter.

aaroniekins
Quote: Originally Posted by Shmad

I have this device and I have no problems with it. There is quite a lot of configuration with it. Maybe you failed to read the users guide? I've not experienced it cut my speeds nor block MSN or routing or anything else for that matter.

how can there be config theres no software...all there is is a little switch

gnuman
Sounds like something Panada Antivirus created for network users...... problem is people still end up getting viruses so there should be packet scanning as well!

And for $200 its a little too pricey!

Shmad
$200 is pricey now.. but doesnt anyone PAY ATTENTION.. look at the original message:

Quote:

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:39 am

2002 people!! geesh lol

aaroniekins
its 150 now cdn
still overpiced
a 100 linksys which i boight offers MORe protection, doesnt interfere with speeds, and has software/configuriation

gnuman
Still not the point it should have automatic packet scanning to see if there is malicious code in the packets and kill it right away...

Still too expensive

pgavino
I used one for close to a month and overall, it's a good hardware-based FW for novice users. All ports were stealthed with the Alphashield. I also had no intrusion hits on the software FW running on the machine that was connected to the Alphashield.

Now if you are not a novice user, you will be better off getting a router instead. With a little configuring of the router FW, you can do exactly what the Alphashield does except for the disconnect feature that it has. Putting your modem on standby gives you the same effect.

The Alphashield's "no configuration needed during setup" feature which is nice for novice users becomes a disadvantage to non-novice users. You can't do things like MAC filtering or setting up trusted/restricted IP's which are pretty standard with routers. If you put the Alphashield in front of a computer that is part of a LAN (which they show in their documentation), that machine won't be able to "see" or share anything with other machines.