Funeral 're-do' for raped woman's grandmother

spaminator
Funeral 're-do' for raped woman's grandmother
Randy Richmond, QMI AGENCY
First posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 07:46 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 07:59 PM EDT
LONDON - A woman who was raped by the priest who perfomed her grandmother's funeral mass has succeeded in securing a new memorial service in what is likely a first in Canada.
"Tainted and blasphemous," is how Kelly Grenier remembers the funeral, performed by serial predator Charles Sylvestre.
"It is like a re-do in our minds," she said Tuesday of the new service. "It is respect for what meant so much to my grandmother, for what she believed in so fervently. A funeral is a sacrament."
Grenier, 48, last week and on the eve of a trial after a seven-year battle, settled a lawsuit with the Roman Catholic Diocese of London over allegations of abuse by Sylvestre. The financial settlement wasn't disclosed Tuesday.
Separate from the legal settlement is an agreement from the diocese that Bishop Ronald Fabbro will head to the community of Pain Court next October to hold a service for Loretta King, who died July 17, 1984, in a car crash.
Grenier hopes for both a mass and graveside ceremony.
Whatever the form of the service, it will be a rarity.
"That would be a first," Francis Morrisey, a canon law expert at St. Paul University in Ottawa, said.
Morrisey has written extensively about clergy abuse cases and has testified in civil cases as an expert witness about canon law.
Sylvestre was convicted in 2006 of 47 counts of indecent assault spanning four decades and involving girls in Ont. parishes in London, Sarnia, Chatham, Windsor and Pain Court, before dying a year later in prison at 84.
More than 70 civil suits involving Sylvestre have been settled.
Grenier's grandmother served as Sylvestre's housekeeper and cook, and Grenier often came from Windsor, Ont., to visit her "second mother."
Sylvestre began abusing her when she was 13.
When she was 18, her grandmother died and the family saw nothing wrong with Grenier staying overnight at the priest's house as they gathered for the funeral.
That night Sylvestre raped her. The next day he performed the funeral.
Grenier insisted the church somehow redress the spiritual stain on her grandmother's funeral.
"She was a devout Catholic," Grenier said. "She would have expected so much more."
randy.richmond@sunmedia.ca
Kelly Grace Grenier of Toronto is fighting the Roman Catholic diocese of London for 7 1/2 years over abuse she claims to have suffered as a youngster at the hands of a priest. (Mike Hensen/The London Free Press/QMI Agency)

Funeral 're-do' for raped woman's grandmother | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Harikrish
Looks like America got all the Quran burning Pastors and Canada got all the serial rapists pastors. Or the Americans Pastors are just taking it out on the Quran out of envy.

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Harikrish View Post

Looks like America got all the Quran burning Pastors and Canada got all the serial rapists pastors. Or the Americans Pastors are just taking it out on the Quran out of envy.

You do realize that the incidences of sexual assault by Priests is no higher than, if not lower than, the general public.

Twila
+3
#4  Top Rated Post

yep, but we don't have forced marriage, child marriage, honour killings of chattle women, dowry debt, strict caste system, nor are we always right by virtue of seniority or superiority and not by the facts you bring to the table.

Also, raping of children isn't a religious thing. It's a pedophile thing and guaranteed that where ever in the world you have adults holding authority over children you will find pedohpiles. Even amongst your englightened people, Harikrish.

Harikrish
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You do realize that the incidences of sexual assault by Priests is no higher than, if not lower than, the general public.

That would be shocking to hear church leaders are no less prone to depravity than the average man on the street. There was a time when stoning was permitted and that helped keep their numbers low. But since All are forgiven by accepting Jesus and the laws no longer required to hold faith. Jesus let the dogs out!! Is that why God sent the prophet Mohammad (pbuh) armed with the Sharia law to bring back order to the houses of God. So that there would be stoning in the churches and gnashing of teeth.

Sal

That would be shocking to hear church leaders are no less prone to depravity than the average man on the street.

it is shocking to hear but none the less, it is a factual accuracy.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

it is shocking to hear but none the less, it is a factual accuracy.

Why is it shocking? We are talking about ordinary men. Not super heroes or supreme beings. Normal ordinary men with all the same faults as everyone else. What would be "shocking" is if the numbers were considerably higher, or considerably lower.

Sal
+1

Why is it shocking? We are talking about ordinary men. Not super heroes or supreme beings. Normal ordinary men with all the same faults as everyone else. What would be "shocking" is if the numbers were considerably higher, or considerably lower.

it is shocking because I do expect a certain sense of higher propriety from certain segments of our population and the priesthood for me is one

my experience with priest has been nothing but positive so do I hold them to a higher standard yes, do the priests I personally know hold priests to a higher standard, they do

while a certain percentage of men are rapists that percentage does not extend to my male friend base

society in general targets the church for the same reason, now that the church as begun to act upon these allegations I am highly confident that we can reduce these numbers to ZERO, but that's just me

it is my expectation that we have zero tolerance

Harikrish

it is shocking because I do expect a certain sense of higher propriety from certain segments of our population and the priesthood for me is one

my experience with priest has been nothing but positive so do I hold them to a higher standard yes, do the priests I personally know hold priests to a higher standard, they do

while a certain percentage of men are rapists that percentage does not extend to my male friend base

society in general targets the church for the same reason, now that the church as begun to act upon these allegations I am highly confident that we can reduce these numbers to ZERO, but that's just me

Stoning can make zero tolerance possible.

Sal

Stoning can make zero tolerance possible.

the death penalty always ensures that particular individual will never again commit that act yes

it is one of the arguments that death penalty advocates use

gerryh
+1

I understand what you are saying, and when I was young and na´ve I thought the same thing. I also thought that about Police and Politicians.

Sal

I understand what you are saying, and when I was young and na´ve I thought the same thing. I also thought that about Police and Politicians.

yeah out of the three it's my last refuge, stupid maybe but if a guy has a collar on, I think his heart is in the right place until he proves otherwise

even with my current belief system, within the RCC I have never ever been scorned or put down, questioned yes, challenged yes but never made to feel wrong or less than

and I have never been less than honest with my questions or with my opinion

gerryh

yeah out of the three it's my last refuge, stupid maybe but if a guy has a collar on, I think his heart is in the right place until he proves otherwise

even with my current belief system, within the RCC I have never ever been scorned or put down, questioned yes, challenged yes but never made to feel wrong or less than

and I have never been less than honest with my questions or with my opinion

Same here, my "disillusion" with the Priesthood started when my Dad insinuated that he had been molested by a Priest when he was an alter boy, and then with Bishop Henry allowing a proven offender to be placed in a Calgary diocese.

Sal

Same here, my "disillusion" with the Priesthood started when my Dad insinuated that he had been molested by a Priest when he was an alter boy, and then with Bishop Henry allowing a proven offender to be placed in a Calgary diocese.

yeah I get that, recently when we were discussing family members and all of us trying to figure out what had pushed my brother off of the rails that particular issue of molestation was broached and more than a few of us thought it was a distinct possibility that when he had been an alter boy in Quebec, all the trouble had started and it never stopped. I don't know and will never know for certain but it's possible.

And back in those days, no one questioned a priest. Hell even later when I was growing up they were always at our house, eating and drinking. My first drink was at the rectory and they never said a word but they sure knew we weren't just drinking pop in our glasses.

Harikrish

yeah I get that, recently when we were discussing family members and all of us trying to figure out what had pushed my brother off of the rails that particular issue of molestation was broached and more than a few of us thought it was a distinct possibility that when he had been an alter boy in Quebec, all the trouble had started and it never stopped. I don't know and will never know for certain but it's possible.

And back in those days, no one questioned a priest. Hell even later when I was growing up they were always at our house, eating and drinking. My first drink was at the rectory and they never said a word but they sure knew we weren't just drinking pop in our glasses.

We empathize with you. It is not only women but men are also victims to this abuse..if God did not think it necessary he would not have given the prophet Mohammad a new mandate that included stoning 600 years after Jesus was crucified.

Sal

We empathize with you. It is not only women but men are also victims to this abuse..if God did not think it necessary he would not have given the prophet Mohammad a new mandate that included stoning 600 years after Jesus was crucified.

in my world god is not involved...he is removed...his energy is present but he does not intervene, all we need, all the answers we seek are right inside of us

Harikrish

in my world god is not involved...he is removed...his energy is present but he does not intervene, all we need, all the answers we seek are right inside of us

What confidence can Christians have when the teachers of Gods words are themselves misguided. Jesus should have taught more self reliance like the Hindus are encouraged by their gurus to seek self awareness and enlightenment.

Sal

What confidence can Christians have when the teachers of Gods words are themselves misguided. Jesus should have taught more self reliance like the Hindus are encouraged by their gurus to seek self awareness and enlightenment.

lots of Christians in my circle seem to do just fine, they are deep thinking, highly aware, productive, healthy self reflective individual. jesus seems to be doing okey dokey for them and their belief system

lots of Christians believe god is inside and reveals himself to them, guides their choices, actions and decisions

there is only one god, and there are many routes to knowing him, what is right for you may be wrong for another

Just because someone is not on your path, doesn't mean they are lost, correct?

Harikrish

lots of Christians in my circle seem to do just fine, they are deep thinking, highly aware, productive, healthy self reflective individual. jesus seems to be doing okey dokey for them and their belief system

lots of Christians believe god is inside and reveals himself to them, guides their choices, actions and decisions

there is only one god, and there are many routes to knowing him, what is right for you may be wrong for another

Just because someone is not on your path, doesn't mean they are lost, correct?

That is like taking an aspirin for every medical condition.