Below are the forum rules.... where does it say that? Seems pretty arbitrary and petty. Yes, I am breaking Rule #5 but if it ain't actually written in the rules that we all abide by, then how are we to know what is allowed. The arbitrariness is bothersome. If arbitrariness isn't a word, well too bad. It is now.
This document lays out the rules users of the discussion forums at www.canadiancontent.net are expected to abide by. References to “we,” “us,” and “our” in what follows refers to moderators and/or administrators of this site. The rules laid out on this page compliment our disclaimer of warranties and terms of service. Under no circumstances should these user guidelines void any clauses in the terms of service.
By using this service you agree:
1. To maintain only one account. Secondary accounts are prohibited unless prior approval is granted by an administrator;
2. Not to post any material that you know, or in our judgement ought to know, is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, threatening, invasive of personal privacy, or in violation of Canadian law;
3. Not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you, except for brief credited excerpts to illustrate a point;
4. To abide by our wishes in interpreting and enforcing these rules;
5. Not to debate moderator decisions on the board. Public posts debating these rules and/or moderators' enforcement of such, will be removed without comment. We encourage feedback however and invite you to pm a moderator or administrator if you have any questions or concerns.;
6. You will not post what is commonly called spam, which includes but is not limited to such things as advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, solicitations, or promoting a particular cause or organization. Exceptions may be granted for worthy (in our sole opinion) causes if you obtain prior permission from us;
7. Not to use our medium as a manner to promote personal forums, personal websites and/or any personal commercial interests without prior approval from an administrator. This includes promoting through links in areas such as profiles, signatures, forums, reputation system and through private messaging.
8. Links to personal websites such as personal blogs, articles and biographies are allowed at anytime (providing they are suitable) if they are not of a commercial nature and/or do not promote/host a forum. If they don't conform as such, you must have at least 500 posts at CanadianContent and you must receive prior approval from an administrator. Such promotion is limited to the Website forum area and profiles. Advertising in signatures is not acceptable regardless of the number of posts;
9. We reserve the right to ban any user temporarily or permanently, refuse posting from screen names we find offensive, edit or delete any post, limit postings on any topic, and shut down any topic altogether, for any reason, or no reason, without explanation or warning.
10. Not to post on behalf of any banned member in any public manner. This includes all forums, private messages, and signatures;
11. You are solely responsible for the content of your messages. We cannot verify content and thus accept no responsibility for it, nor do we vouch for the accuracy, completeness, or utility, of any message or the qualifications of any user;
12. Not to post links to pornography. We will be the sole judge of what constitutes pornography. Links to potentially shocking or offensive material are acceptable in the context of a mature discussion, but do not link directly to the item. Issue a warning in your message and link to an intermediate page that links to the item you wish to bring to other users attention. If you are in doubt about the appropriateness of a link, contact us before posting;
13. Not to evade disciplinary measures. If you have been suspended or banned and insist on coming back under a different user name or different ISP, you will be banned again. If this behaviour is repeated, Canadian Content may contact your service provider;
14. Not to post private messages at Canadian Content or elsewhere without the express permission of the sender of the Private Message;
15. Not to engage in internet stalking. This includes, but is not limited to, following a Canadian Content member from site to site, or from thread to thread within this site; taking posts from Canadian Content in order to attack a poster at another site; and attempting to defame or discredit Canadian Content members or staff on other sites for views they may have expressed at Canadian Content.
16. Not to start multiple threads on the same topic. At the discretion of the moderators new threads on the same or similar topic, particularly those appearing concurrently in the recent topic list, may be moved, merged, deleted or locked.
17. Revisions or additions to the rules may occur only at administration discretion.
This site is intended to be a medium for public discussion. You are free to express your views forcefully but we require you to remain civil. Insults, hate speech, and deliberately inflammatory statements, commonly known as trolling, are not acceptable. Do not threaten anyone or any group or suggest they are deserving of harm.
Basic common sense rule: Act civilised. If a disagreement arises, we will be the sole judge of what constitutes being a civilised person or a headache to the forum staff.