NDP slide to third place as premier's approval rating falls: poll

B00Mer

Alberta’s NDP have plummeted to third place and Premier Rachel Notley’s personal approval rating has plunged just nine months after sweeping the Progressive Conservative Party from power, according to a new poll.

A Mainstreet Research/Postmedia poll of more than 3,000 Albertans this week shows the NDP have just 27 per cent popular support among decided voters — trailing the Wildrose at 33 per cent and the PCs at 31 per cent.

Mainstreet President Quito Maggi said the NDP and the premier are apparently suffering fallout from the global collapse of oil prices that has created a gaping hole in provincial revenues.

“Now that we’re a full year plus into these historic low oil prices and the impacts on both public coffers and personal finances is being fully felt, I think a lot of the blame is being directed at the government — rightly or wrongly,” Maggi said.

“It’s just how people are reacting.”

The survey suggests that while the NDP is still strong in the provincial capital, with 48 per cent support, it has only half that in Calgary and even less support — 22 per cent — in the rest of Alberta.

The Wildrose support sits at 18 per cent in Edmonton — trailing the New Democrats and Tories — but they lead in Calgary with 32 per cent backing, and hold 38 per cent support outside the two cities.

The PCs jumped more than 10 percentage points from a low of 20 per cent in November. The Tories have only 20 per cent support in Edmonton, but drew 29 per cent in Calgary and 35 per cent in the rest of the province.

“The big story here is the return of Alberta’s PC party,” said Maggi. “There’s nothing they’ve particularly done in the last few months that stands out. This is movement based on disappointment with the NDP government.”

The Alberta Liberal Party and Alberta Party held relatively steady at five per cent support and four per cent respectively.

Notley’s approval rating has been in a free fall since the May election, dropping from more than 60 per cent to 36 per cent this week. She still has 44 per cent support in Edmonton, but only 22 per cent in Calgary and 17 per cent in the rest of Alberta.

She still has strong backing from her party with 77 per cent of NDP supporters strongly approving of her leadership (and another 21 per cent somewhat support her) but Notley’s overall disapproval rate among all Albertans is higher than her approval rate — 57 per cent to 36 per cent — for the first time.

“Those who like her, love her,” noted Maggi.

Political analyst Chaldeans Mensah said the NDP haven’t been showing the leadership people were expecting when they voted the party into power.

He said the NDP began leaking support when it pursued ideological pet projects and failed to advocate strongly for the resource sector.

“I think the Wildrose and PCs are benefiting from concerns about the NDP’s economic management,” said Mensah, an associate professor of political science at Edmonton’s MacEwan University.

“The NDP for a long time was trying to find its footing. They didn’t take hold of the economic difficulties that the province was facing. They just let circumstances overtake them.”

However, Mensah said the NDP will have a chance to take some pragmatic steps to address the crisis in the upcoming budget.

“A lot more has to be done,” he said. “We’ll see how Rachel Notley’s government handles this fiscal challenge.”

The poll also shows most Albertans — 60 per cent — support the NDP decision not to change oilsands royalties, and 56 per cent believe the NDP should offer incentives to the energy industry to promote drilling, exploration and jobs.

Mensah said the decision not to tamper with royalty rates was brilliant.

“Rachel Notley deserves credit for endorsing that position,” he said. “It reflects the pragmatic view of the importance of the resource. It’s up to her to carry on this level of popular support into other arenas.”

Maggi said despite the NDP fall in popularity and the plummeting popularity of the premier, it’s too early to write the party off.

He said opinions can change swiftly if the price of oil rebounds even partly.

“There’s a great deal of goodwill generally for this government and this premier,” he said. “I think people are seeing there is action being taken — or at least they’re hopeful conversations will lead to action.”

Mainstreet surveyed 3,092 Alberta residents through automated phone calls on Wednesday. The margin of error is about plus or minus 1.8 percentage points, 19 times out of 20. Regional margins of error are about three percentage points.

NDP drop to third place in a recent poll | Calgary Herald

mentalfloss
Albertans need to decide between Wildrose or PCS or they will be handing the NDP another win.

CDNBear

Well that didn't take long.

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Albertans need to decide between Wildrose or PCS or they will be handing the NDP another win.

More like the PC and Wildrose has to merge The federal Conservatives used Belinda to get Peter to merge I am sure the Alberta Wildrose can get a gay guy to get the Alberta PC leader to merge

B00Mer

...and the Reform Party.

https://www.facebook.com/ReformAlberta/?fref=photo

They are have to merge unto one huge political enitity.

I like the WildRose

https://www.facebook.com/teamwildrose/

grumpydigger
+1
#6  Top Rated Post
The conservative Alberta government squandered their legacy . And put nothing away for a rainy day.
Resource-based industries like oil quite often run on a boom and bust cycle.
The Alberta people are just mad that the NDP now making the hard decisions that their precious right wing governments refuse to do.

The Alberta problems are caused by world oil prices
but the problems they're facing was caused by an unthinking provincial and federal governments who lack the intelligence to understand that diversity is the key to a steady economy .

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydigger View Post

The conservative Alberta government squandered their legacy . And put nothing away for a rainy day.
Resource-based industries like oil quite often run on a boom and bust cycle.
The Alberta people are just mad that the NDP now making the hard decisions that their precious right wing governments refuse to do.

The Alberta problems are caused by world oil prices
but the problems they're facing was caused by an unthinking provincial and federal governments who lack the intelligence to understand that diversity is the key to a steady economy .

Yes, NDP agri policies are all caused by oil prices.

petros
BSE was caused by Harper and Evil Oil Inc LLC

gerryh
+1
just a heads up, Klein was down to a 20% approval rating at one time and still pulled off a majority win when election time came around. Just sayin.

Curious Cdn
Merge them all together into the "Cow Patty" ... Err ... "Party"

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydigger View Post

The conservative Alberta government squandered their legacy

I assume you meant Capital "C" conservative. There hasn't been a small "c" conservative government in Alberta in over 40 years

You may be one of 3 or 4 people that thinks Rachel has any chance at re-election. I doubt she thinks she has more than 1 in 1000 chance

mentalfloss
You also thought Harper was a lock.

Cannuck

You also thought Harper was a lock.

Who is your comment directed at? If me, you are (of course) completely wrong.

petros
+1
Says the Mulcair voter....

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Says the Mulcair voter....

See post #13

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Who is your comment directed at? If me, you are (of course) completely wrong.

Ah sorry. Board didn't refresh for me.

It was a reply to one of Boomer's posts.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong lol

It was a reply to you but I thought you were Boomer.

petros
Directed at mentalbitch

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

just a heads up, Klein was down to a 20% approval rating at one time and still pulled off a majority win when election time came around. Just sayin.

That can happen when a guy is competent but a !

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

That can happen when a guy is competent but a !

Had nothing to do with how he talked and everything to do with what he was doing.

JLM

Had nothing to do with how he talked and everything to do with what he was doing.

That is sort of what I was alluding to........................note my use of the word "competent".

gerryh

That is sort of what I was alluding to........................note my use of the word "competent".

So, are you saying he was incompetant when his approval rating was only 20%?

JLM

So, are you saying he was incompetant when his approval rating was only 20%?

Not at all................unpopular maybe! Didn't he get tough with the nurses at one point and tell them to quit whining and get back to work?

gerryh

Not at all................unpopular maybe! Didn't he get tough with the nurses at one point and tell them to quit whining and get back to work?

The point is, notley may be at 27% right now, but she is not the only premier of this province that has had low ratings and still managed to pull off another majority government by the time elections rolled around.

JLM

The point is, notley may be at 27% right now, but she is not the only premier of this province that has had low ratings and still managed to pull off another majority government by the time elections rolled around.

I just scanned through the account of Ralph Klein in Wikipedia and for all that was lacking in Ralph there was a toughness of character (thick skin) that carried him a lot further than his academic credentials ever would and I'd be surprised if Notley could compete with that. The fact that a law firm hired him as an advisor when he had no training in "law" says a lot. I would say that Ralph Klein was absolutely the exact opposite of Justin Trudeau.

gerryh

I just scanned through the account of Ralph Klein in Wikipedia and for all that was lacking in Ralph there was a toughness of character (thick skin) that carried him a lot further than his academic credentials ever would and I'd be surprised if Notley could compete with that. The fact that a law firm hired him as an advisor when he had no training in "law" says a lot. I would say that Ralph Klein was absolutely the exact opposite of Justin Trudeau.

Who's comparing Klein to Trudeau? I know I'm not, nor would I even suggest such a thing. I didn't even mention Trudeau, so I really don't know where that is coming from.

JLM

Who's comparing Klein to Trudeau? I know I'm not, nor would I even suggest such a thing. I didn't even mention Trudeau, so I really don't know where that is coming from.

Just my characterization of the two men. You have no obligation to agree with me.

gerryh

Just my characterization of the two men. You have no obligation to agree with me.

We weren't talking about "the two men". We were talking about notley having only a 27% aproval rating and I brought up Klein as an example of how that doesn't mean they are done.

I mean, what does Trudeau have to do with this OP?

JLM

We weren't talking about "the two men". We were talking about notley having only a 27% aproval rating and I brought up Klein as an example of how that doesn't mean they are done.

I mean, what does Trudeau have to do with this OP?

Not a lot other than one was a provincial leader while the other is a federal leader and some may find it interesting to compare traits with those who succeed to traits of those who fail. (If in fact Trudeau is going to fail)

gerryh
+1

Not a lot other than one was a provincial leader while the other is a federal leader and some may find it interesting to compare traits with those who succeed to traits of those who fail. (If in fact Trudeau is going to fail)

Have fun with turning another thread not about Trudeau into one about Trudeau.

You also might want to look up the definition of obsession and see someone about it.