New Brunswick village angers residents with 'straight pride' flag

White_Unifier
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...5516400017687#

Why would anyone want to announce to the world how he has sex? don't people today have any class anymore?

Walter
Funny.

petros
+1
Love it. Fly more everywhere.

Kreskin
+1
Next thing you know the lgbt community will be doing burnouts on it.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Next thing you know the lgbt community will be doing burnouts on it.

Just wait till all of the different BDSM and other fetish flags start coming out.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Just wait till all of the different BDSM and other fetish flags start coming out.

Can you make a flag out of leather?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Can you make a flag out of leather?

You could, but you probably wouldn't want to fly it in the rain.

Blackleaf
I don't think we should take any notice of what a bunch of intolerant bigots think. The flag should fly proudly.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...5516400017687#
Why would anyone want to announce to the world how he has sex? don't people today have any class anymore?

Ah, NOW I understand. You don't realize that people have been murdered, imprisoned, and discriminated against for being gay.

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Ah, NOW I understand. You don't realize that people have been murdered, imprisoned, and discriminated against for being gay.

Fine , if they shut up about it nobody would know , nobody would care , and less people would be hurt . As a popular Prime Minister once said up here in Canado the state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation .

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

I don't think we should take any notice of what a bunch of intolerant bigots think. The flag should fly proudly.

Why? Is the way you have sex with your wife such a great accomplishment for you that your heterosexual skill in bed is all you have to show off to the world?

White_Unifier

Most people don't even know I'm straight unless I tell them, and it's usually not something I introduce myself with.

So unless a person is having sex in public, how's anyone even supposed to know he's gay?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Fine , if they shut up about it nobody would know , nobody would care , and less people would be hurt . As a popular Prime Minister once said up here in Canada the state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation .

Now people want to say the government should butt out of sex even in public. If you want to twerk naked with your partner in the streets at a parade in front of kids, by all means.

MHz

Why? Is the way you have sex with your wife such a great accomplishment for you that your heterosexual skill in bed is all you have to show off to the world?

Where are those scales that fell off my eyes, I want them back on now.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Where are those scales that fell off my eyes, I want them back on now.

My apologies.

Mowich
+2

Yes, Tec all of that happened and it was shameful and wrong. I don't claim to know what things are like for gays in the US but here in Canada they face little if any backlash for their sexuality. Decades ago, friends of mine who are a gay couple stood on the front lines and fought against discrimination against gay sexuality. They faced down all kinds of threats in order to bring about a change in the treatment of gays in our country. When I was discussing this straight flag issue with them the other day, they laughed about it. To them it is a non-issue. They do not agree with the current militant arm of the gay community especially when they ban police from marching in their parades but also when they 'make a big deal out of nothing'.

White_Unifier
OK, I'll acknowledge that homophobia probably still is a problem in Canada; and yes, we need to protect a person from homophobic attacks. That said, I don't see anything wrong with imposing certain modesty rules in public for all sexes and orientations. Even my wife and I don't kiss in public. We might hold hands and at most, hug. She's actually quite conservative that way. But you wouldn't catch me dead doing some of the stuff that goes on in open public at pride parades.

petros

Most people don't even know I'm straight unless I tell them, and it's usually not something I introduce myself with.
So unless a person is having sex in public, how's anyone even supposed to know he's gay?

You weren't one of those who thought Liberace was straight were you?

Kreskin
+1
These people would insist the Olympic Games be called the Able Bodied Olympics because others have Invictus and Special Games. It's only fair. The Olympic flag could include pairs of arms and legs, and demonstrate math functions. Just so everyone will know how able they are.

MHz

My apologies.

You must have bullet-proofed your eyes, mine start bleeding when I see a skunk being attacked, . . . without just cause, I'm no pushover.

Maybe being an adult with some skin is what I need to happen so I too can say, 'Oh, that's gotta hurt.' and then ask for more chocolate cake all in the same breath.

White_Unifier

You weren't one of those who thought Liberace was straight were you?

Effeminate doesn't necessarily equal gay. And again, I'm not denying homophobia is a problem, but that doesn't mean we should tolerate immodesty in public.

Johnnny
This was bound to happen.
Every movement has a counter movement.

As societies number 1 bad guy (straight White male) the Canadian Flag is good enough. Not because it represents my supposed supremacy but because it represents my values as an individual.

I know I'm all over the place with my personal definition.

Serryah
+1
If the guy wants to fly a straight pride flag, he should; on his own property.

What he did was petition the town to fly it, and when they did they got justified flack for it.

As a municipality, there's no need for a straight pride flag. Straight people are already welcomed, accepted and are part of the town routine. In some places - yes, still in Canada - being gay or trans or bi or asexual or whatever else is still frowned upon and looked down at. A gay pride flag just lets people know that the town is welcoming to all.

So tell me, why would the town need a straight pride flag?

pgs
+4
#24  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

What he did was petition the town to fly it, and when they did they got justified flack for it.

As a municipality, there's no need for a straight pride flag. Straight people are already welcomed, accepted and are part of the town routine. In some places - yes, still in Canada - being gay or trans or bi or asexual or whatever else is still frowned upon and looked down at. A gay pride flag just lets people know that the town is welcoming to all.

Because they are welcoming to all .

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

If the flag is just a symbol of welcome (which I disagree with, but just going with your argument), then both flags should be allowed to fly.

petros

Effeminate doesn't necessarily equal gay. And again, I'm not denying homophobia is a problem, but that doesn't mean we should tolerate immodesty in public.

He was a flamer not effeminate. Full blown flamboyant gay.

White_Unifier

He was a flamer not effeminate. Full blown flamboyant gay.

So? Was he intentionally promoting the homosexual lifestyle? did he act immodestly in public? Not as far as I know.

Might some people have attacked him for his personality traits? Perhaps, and I condemn such attacks. But no need to be promoting immodesty in public, and I'm not aware that Liberace is guilty of any of that.

White_Unifier
I have a colleague who's gay and has a male partner. While I might not condone his lifestyle, at least he still acts somewhat modestly around the office.

Inversely, I have a straight colleague who drives me up the wall with disgust as he vaunts his sexual exploits. Honestly, though he's not said it explicitly, I suspect that he pays for some of them. I tend to see a sexual flag in the same light: a way to advertise one's sex at the top of a flag pole.

petros

So? Was he intentionally promoting the homosexual lifestyle? did he act immodestly in public? Not as far as I know.
Might some people have attacked him for his personality traits? Perhaps, and I condemn such attacks. But no need to be promoting immodesty in public, and I'm not aware that Liberace is guilty of any of that.

Did you check?

White_Unifier

Did you check?

Check what?