Hundreds feared dead in London tower block fire

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

You mean, where AC generation originated, was invented, developed and where the first grids were connected, we use lower voltages. When Britain finally got electricity, you did a "funny" with it and got it wrong (surprise, surprise)

As in most things in this modern world, electric power is a British innovation.

Electricity became practical for everyday use in technology thanks to the British scientist Michael Faraday.

The first alternator to produce alternating current was a dynamo electric generator based on Faraday's principles constructed by the French instrument maker Hippolyte Pixii in 1832.

The first central high-voltage power station in the world was the first of three coal-fired power stations at Deptford on the south bank of the Thames.

The British inventor and chemist Humphry Davy invented the light bulb in 1802.

The world's first public electricity supply was provided in late 1881, when the streets of the Surrey town of Godalming in the UK were lit with electric light. This system was powered from a water wheel on the River Wey, which drove a Siemens alternator that supplied a number of arc lamps within the town. This supply scheme also provided electricity to a number of shops and premises to light 34 incandescent Swan light bulbs.

Today, two of the top ten biggest electric power companies in the world are British - none are American or Canadian.

Grenfell Tower Disaster death toll rises to 80 - and police admit they may not know the final death toll until next year. 18 victims have been idenitified so far...

Grenfell death toll of 80 mainly came from 23 flats, police say as inquest hears how six-month-old baby found in mother’s arms

3 Comments

Grenfell Tower Block Fire Credit: Guilhem Baker

Rozina Sabur
28 June 2017
The Telegraph

The death toll from the Grenfell Tower fire is believed to be around 80 people, the vast majority of whom were from 23 flats, police believe.

Metropolitan Police Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack said contact had been made with at least one occupant from 106 of the 129 flats in the building.

From those properties, 18 people are dead or assumed dead, meaning the remaining victims are thought to have been in the flats wiped out by the inferno.

It will be months before the final roll call of victims is established, Ms McCormack said.

She said: "There are 23 flats that, despite huge investigative efforts, we have been unable to trace anyone that lives there.

"At this stage we must presume that no-one in those flats survived. That includes anyone who lived there or was visiting them."

Pressed on whether the death toll could climb to triple figures, Ms McCormack said: "I've said I believe it could increase. I don't think it's going to be triple. No."

A six-month-old baby was among the latest victims to be identified, found dead in her mother's arms in the smoke-filled stairwell.

Posters were put up searching for information on Omar Belkadi, his wife Farah Hamdan and their 6 Month Old Daughter Credit: Nick Edwards

Westminster Coroner's Court opened and adjourned inquests into seven Grenfell Tower victims, including baby Leena Belkadi and her eight-year-old sister Malak.

As the vast criminal investigation into the fire continues, 60 organisations have been identified as having a hand in the tower's refurbishment, which is suspected to have aided the spread of the blaze.

Views Of The Remains Of The Grenfell Tower Block Credit: Carl Court

Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed on Wednesday that 120 tower blocks across 37 local authority areas have flammable cladding on their exterior.

Efforts to establish who was missing in the wake of the fire were focused on talking to friends, families and neighbours of those in Grenfell Tower, Ms McCormack said.

A list of tenants provided to police by the Kensington and Chelsea Tenants Management Organisation, which managed the building, was "not accurate", she claimed.

"We are many months from being able to provide a number which we believe accurately represents the total loss of life inside Grenfell Tower.

"Only after we have completed a search and recovery operation, which will take until the end of the year.

"What I can say is that we believe that around 80 people are either dead or sadly missing and I must presume that they are dead."

The 23 flats which were said to have no survivors were spread between the 11th floor and the 23rd.

Around 10 flats remain too perilous for police to venture into for thorough examination.

Amid mounting distrust of the official death toll, Ms McCormack stressed "every imaginable source" of information about who was in the building had been examined, "from government agencies to fast food companies".

Views Of The Remains Of The Grenfell Tower Block Credit: Carl Court

She said: "What we know is that it would be impossible for anyone to produce a list to show exactly who was at Grenfell Tower that night, that includes the people who were living there or who were visiting."

A couple who were missing and assumed dead had actually been on holiday at the time of the blaze, according to the detective.

Referring to the criminal probe, which has set out to establish if charges including manslaughter will be brought, Ms McCormack said: "We are continuing to seize material on a daily basis and the number of companies and organisations that we know so far had played a role in the refurbishment is over 60."

Grenfell death toll of 80 mainly came from 23 flats, police say as inquest hears how six-month-old baby found in mother

Baby girl was found dead in mother's arms in Grenfell Tower stairwell

Six-month-old Leena Belkadi died along with both parents and eight-year-old sister, inquest hears

Caroline Davies
Thursday 29 June 2017
The Guardian

A six-month-old baby was found dead in her mother’s arms after the Grenfell Tower disaster, in which at least 80 people died or are missing presumed dead, an inquest has heard.

Leena Belkadi’s body was found in a stairwell between the 19th and 20th floors of the 24-storey high-rise block, Westminster coroner’s court was told.

The coroner’s officer, Eric Sword, said she was “found in her mother’s arms”. Leena’s sister, Malak, aged eight, who was recovered from the 20th floor, where the family lived, and taken to St Mary’s Hospital, also later died. The cause of death for both sisters was given as inhalation of fire fumes.

Tottenham MP David Lammy has described the official death toll so far of 80 as being "far, far too low"

The girls’ parents, Farah Hamdan and Omar Belkadi, also died in the blaze and inquests into their deaths have already been opened and adjourned. Another daughter, Tazmin, six, was taken to St Mary’s hospital.

The Westminster coroner, Dr Fiona Wilcox, opened and adjourned inquests on Wednesday into the deaths of seven who died at Grenfell Tower, including the two sisters.

Also among them was the Syrian refugee Mohammed Al Haj Ali, 23, previously named as Mohammad Alhajali, and who was the first fatality of the disaster to be formally identified by police.

Pop star Rita Ora pays tribute to the victims with this T-shirt

His body was found outside the tower block, and his preliminary cause of death was given as multiple injuries consistent with a fall from a height, the inquest heard. The funeral of the engineering student was held a week after the disaster and attended by family, some of whom travelled from Syria to be present. Two family members attended the hearing as the coroner expressed her “sincere condolences” to them, and all others affected by the deaths.

Husna Begum, 22, and her relative Rabeya Begum, 64, were also among the dead. They were identified by dental records and both causes of death were “consistent with the effects of fire”, the inquest heard. Husna’s body was found in the lobby near to the lifts on the 17th floor, while Rabeya’s was recovered from the family’s flat on the same floor. Five members of the family were reported missing after the fire, but it is not yet clear what has happened to the other three.

The inquest of Mohamed Amied Neda, 57, who lived on the 23rd floor, was also opened. He was found outside the tower and died from multiple injuries consistent with a fall. He was reported missing after the fire and his family were also said to have been severely injured and in hospital. Zia Popal, who described him as his uncle, had posted on Facebook: “He was on the top floor of the building trying to help and went missing since.” Three family members attended the hearing. The coroner thanked them, saying: “I am impressed with your dignity.”

Abdeslam Sebbar, 67, died from inhalation of fire fumes. The inquest heard he was found in a flat on the 11th floor and identified by DNA.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...grenfell-tower

Grenfell Tower victim Isaac Paulos, 5, choked to death on fire fumes

The coroner overseeing formal investigations into the causes of death for each of the Grenfell Tower fire victims has spoken of the almost indescribable complexity of identifying them as scepticism about the official death toll grows.

The Westminster coroner, Dr Fiona Wilcox, said the removal of bodies and formal identification would continue to be hampered by how dangerous the Kensington tower block has become since the blaze.

Opening the inquest into five-year-old Isaac Paulos, one of the 18 people identified so far, she said: “It can’t really be explained in enough detail how complex an investigation this is in terms of identification and in terms of recovery of bodies on a dangerous site that my team are not allowed to enter because the building is being shored up.”

Paulos, one of the youngest of the victims so far, lived with his family on the 18th floor and was found on the 13th floor, Wilcox said. He was identified by dental records and his preliminary cause of death was given as inhalation of fire fumes.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-on-fire-fumes
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 1st, 2017 at 04:51 AM..

justlooking
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Tottenham MP David Lammy has described the official death toll so far of 80 as being "far, far too low"

The police don't want to reveal the numbers, because then it will become obvious there were many more people in the tower
then were supposed to be registered, opening up all kinds of uncomfortable questions about how most of the government
paid for apartments were in fact rented out to illegals and others on the open market.

So the police have decided they just aren't going to say anything, and the media and the public can just go piss off.

Nice, eh ?

If you are wondering, ask yourself how the young Italian couple just arrived in the UK qualify for government housing
in Kensington with a waiting list miles long.
(They didn't, they were private renters)

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

The police don't want to reveal the numbers, because then it will become obvious there were many more people in the tower
then were supposed to be registered, opening up all kinds of uncomfortable questions about how most of the government
paid for apartments were in fact rented out to illegals and others on the open market.

So the police have decided they just aren't going to say anything, and the media and the public can just go piss off.

Nice, eh ?

If you are wondering, ask yourself how the young Italian couple just arrived in the UK qualify for government housing
in Kensington with a waiting list miles long.
(They didn't, they were private renters)

David Lammy MP thinks the true number of deaths is being covered up at the moment to prevent civil unrest.

But it's difficult to ascertain a death toll in such a disaster. As well as undocumented illegals, there could have been an unknown number of visitors to the tower block during the fire as well as residents who weren't in the building at the time but are afraid to come forward and admit they were living there.

MHz
The UK isn't the only country that uses foam siding, I thought you should know that.

tay
So what are they afraid the public will learn.........?

Kensington council cancels meeting after High Court lets journalists attend

Grenfell fire: Kensington council cancels meeting after High Court lets journalists attend | The Independent

tay
Council leader Nick Paget-Brown has resigned following continued criticism of the council's handling of the Grenfell Tower tragedy

Grenfell fire: Council leader quits over fire response - BBC News

Blackleaf
Grenfell Tower fire: Council suspends rent for neighbouring flats

BBC News
12 July 2017

Residents forced to leave homes next to London's Grenfell Tower because of a lack of utilities have had their rent suspended, the area's council says.

Kensington and Chelsea Council said payments would not be requested for properties in the so-called finger blocks until at least January 2018.

The buildings have been without hot water since the neighbourhood's boiler was destroyed in the fire on 14 June.

Any rent deducted since the blaze will be refunded, a council spokesman said.

It comes after a victims' group said one resident had had rent deducted from their bank account since the fire, which is believed to have killed at least 80 people.

'No energy'

The west London council has been heavily criticised for its response to the disaster, leading this week to the resignation of its leader, Nicholas Paget-Brown, and his deputy, Rock Feilding-Mellen.

Sid-Ali Atmani, who lived on the 15th floor with his family and is currently in a hotel, told the BBC: "There is no energy anymore."

He added: "Still we haven't any improvement regarding our situation. Our personal opinion is [that it is] a failure for people who are responsible for that."

Supporters of Grenfell survivors took part in anti-government protests in London on Saturday

Robert Atkinson, leader of the opposition on Kensington and Chelsea Council, told the BBC: "I still have residents who are not housed.

"I still have residents who have no hot water and I have got residents living in hotels which they are now sharing with Wimbledon spectators.

That is not a satisfactory situation."

A Kensington and Chelsea Council spokesman said: "We are focused on the needs of all affected residents, including those from Barandon Walk, Testerton Walk and Hurstway [the finger blocks].

"This group of residents have suffered a huge disruption to their lives as they were evacuated from their homes."

The spokesman added that the council expected to have the hot water supply restored in the next week.

He said some had gone back to their homes, but the council would continue to provide temporary accommodation for those who did not want to return.

Grenfell Tower fire: Council suspends rent for neighbouring flats - BBC News

Grenfell Tower's youngest victim: husband and wife escaped the inferno but lost their unborn baby, Logan Isaac

1 Comment

The Gomes family lived on the 21st floor of the tower block Credit: Telegraph Exclusive

Camilla Turner, Education Editor
1 July 2017
The Telegraph

A husband and wife who escaped the Grenfell Tower blaze from the 21st floor have revealed how they lost their unborn son, just two months before he was due to be born.

Marcio and Andreia Gomes managed to escape from the high-rise block, stepping over bodies as they climbed down pitch black smoke-filled stairs with their two young daughters.

But their unborn baby, believed to be the youngest victim of the inferno, was delivered hours later as a stillborn, while his mother lay unconscious in an induced coma.

Mr Gomes told The Telegraph the heartbreaking story of how, just hours after the whole family escaped, he learned that the poisonous fumes claimed the life of his new baby son, for whom he and his wife had already chosen a name for.

Marcio and Andreia Gomes managed to escape from the high-rise block with their family Credit: Telegraph Exclusive

"The doctors came and said the baby’s heart had stopped and the priority is the mother,” said Mr Gomes, a 38-year-old IT manager at the schools inspectorate Ofsted who had lived in Grenfell Tower with his family for the past 10 years.

“My wife gave birth that night while she was in an induced coma so she didn’t know at the time. At 11.03 in the evening my baby boy was born.

“I was holding him. He looked peaceful, like a baby that was just sleeping. I wanted to be there with him but he had already died.”

Doctors at King’s College Hospital explained to Mr Gomes that the baby’s heart had stopped beating, and they needed to deliver him so that his wife did not contract an infection. “So he was born later that day and it was classed as a stillborn,” Mr Gomes recalled.

He then faced the agonising task of explaining to his wife what had happened, when she regained consciousness.

“I had to. We spoke about it and I explained. It was very emotional,” he said.

“At first she didn’t want to talk about it and she said she didn’t want to see the baby. But I know my wife. The hospital were really good at keeping the baby there for us. The next day she was very happy to see the baby. She didn’t want the baby to go away.”

The family had already planned a name for their newest addition, Logan Isaac Credit: Telegraph Exclusive

Mr Gomes said that his family already knew that Andreia was expecting a boy, and they had chosen the name Logan Isaac for him.

Their two daughters - Megan, 10, and Luana, 12 - were excited to meet their new baby brother.

“The girls already had plans made. They were already planning things like ‘Logan can sleep with me in my bed’, and what they were going to do, so this has hit them quite hard as well,” he said.

Mr Gomes said he was woken at around 2am during the night of the blaze, by a neighbour banging on the door.

He phoned the fire brigade repeatedly, begging them to help his family get out, explaining that his wife was seven months pregnant and asthmatic, and that his youngest daughter was also asthmatic.

The instructions were the same: to stay put. It wasn’t until around 3.30am when Mr Gomes saw flames burst into his bedroom that he realised he had to get his family out no matter what.

“I said to my family, ‘The fire is in the flat. We have to go and we have to go now and there is no turning back’," he recalled.

“I kept shouting from the back ‘Keep going, keep going’. What I didn’t realise is that there were already bodies on the stairwell we needed to step over. I said ‘Don’t run. I don’t want you to fall. Take each step as it comes’.”

He told of the horrifying moment that someone who was still alive and lying in the stairwell grabbed his calf as he walked down.

“And there was nothing I could do. I just said to my girls keep going. There was nothing I could have done,” he said.

When he was more than half way down, Mr Gomes realised his eldest daughter was not in front of him, so turned round and ran back up the stairs - only to find her lying unconscious on the floor after she had collapsed from smoke inhalation.

"At one point, which was the worst moment for me, I heard my daughter say ‘Dad, I can’t go anymore’. That’s when I realised she was behind me. I told her to keep going, but my daughter said ‘I can’t. I can’t move’."

The family were rushed to hospital, where Mrs Gomes and Luana were put in induced comas while they were treated for smoke inhalation. Both have since been discharged, while Megan, who suffers from asthma, remains in intensive care.

Mr Gomes praised the response of the NHS, recalling that the emergency room was full of doctors and nurses in casual clothes, who had turned up to work in the middle of the night.

Mr Gomes said that they are planning to hold a funeral, once the autopsy was complete. “It is a bit of an awkward feeling - it could have been so much worse. We understand that,” he told The Telegraph.

“But at the same time we lost a member of the family who didn’t even get to experience fresh air, so it is a very traumatic time."

Grenfell Tower's youngest victim: husband and wife escaped the inferno but lost their unborn baby, Logan Isaac
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 2nd, 2017 at 06:58 AM..

spaminator
U.S. hotel, NFL arena may have same flammable panels as Grenfell Towers | World

Danbones
Funny the place didn't collapse in its own foot print like building seven at 911

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Funny the place didn't collapse in its own foot print like building seven at 911

Were they constructed exactly the same way?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

Were they constructed exactly the same way?

It was JOOOOOOZ!

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

A plane didn't smash into Grenfell Tower.

PLATELL'S PEOPLE: The politics of hatred will never win justice for Grenfell

By Amanda Platell for The Daily Mail
22 July 2017

No one, apart from the survivors, will ever truly be able to comprehend the horror and heartbreak the Grenfell residents endured on the night their tower block was engulfed in flames.

It was a tragedy of unbearable proportions. For those who escaped the inferno, there is unimaginable pain, loss, grief and anger.

Their emotions boiled over this week at a meeting of the residents with Kensington and Chelsea Council, where the newly elected council leader Elizabeth Campbell was abused as she tried to apologise on the local authority’s behalf.

No one will ever truly be able to comprehend the horror and heartbreak the Grenfell residents endured on the night their tower block was engulfed in flames, killing at least 80 people

It was a tragedy of unbearable proportions. For those who escaped the inferno, there is unimaginable pain, loss, grief and anger

‘No ifs, no buts, no excuses,’ she said. ‘I am deeply sorry we did not do more to help you when you needed it most.’

She couldn’t have been more reasonable or compassionate, but her words could hardly be heard above the shouts accusing the council of being ‘murderers’.

Mahad Egal, a father of two who escaped from the fourth floor, said: ‘You have murdered us.’ Another survivor, Sajad Jamalvatan, 22, said: ‘You killed us. You helped the fire.’

Yes, their fury is understandable. But I fear there is a real danger that, in their distress, survivors could, by making such accusations, lose public sympathy.

But while the behaviour of the residents may be forgivable, that of some politicians is not. Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell’s grotesque claim at Glastonbury that Grenfell’s victims had been ‘murdered by political decisions’ was simply beyond the pale.

Newly elected Kensington and Chelsea Council leader Elizabeth Campbell was abused as she tried to apologise on the local authority’s behalf

Members of the Kensington and Chelsea Council held minute's silence during the meeting

Murder is killing with intent and, whatever the failings of the council, the building trade and central government, it is utterly wrong to say the victims were deliberately killed.

And it’s not just politicians. The whole of the coverage on the BBC and Channel 4 news has been irresponsibly based on the assumption that council cuts and Tory austerity helped cause the fire.

Yet the disaster could have happened at any number of tower blocks in Labour areas with the same inflammable cladding as Grenfell or which were refurbished years ago under a Labour government. There has been appalling incompetence. But the truth now is that everyone — the council, the Government, local volunteers — is trying to do their best in the face of such a tragic event.

Hundreds of demonstrators gather outside Kensington & Chelsea Town Hall ahead of the council meeting

People in the public gallery during the council meeting at Kensington Town Hall on Wednesday

A public inquiry headed by a judge of integrity has been established and could lead to manslaughter charges. The Government is trying to rehouse families and has made at least 169 offers of temporary accommodation, though only 32 have been accepted so far.

It’s five agonising weeks since the disaster, and emotions are still raw. Yet those who cry ‘murder’ and ‘racism’ besmirch the reputation of the judge and take up the rhetoric of the Corbynista hate-mobs are not helping the survivors of Grenfell.

Huge public sympathy is with them. How terrible it would be to squander that goodwill by adopting the politics of hatred and opportunism.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 22nd, 2017 at 05:23 AM..

spaminator
'VILE ACT': London police arrest 6 men in Grenfell Tower effigy video
Associated Press
Published:
November 6, 2018
Updated:
November 6, 2018 2:47 PM EST
In this grab taken from video, made available on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018, people place a model of Grenfell Towers onto a bonfire, in London. UGC via AP
London police said Tuesday that they have arrested six men over a video that showed a cardboard model of Grenfell Tower being burned on a bonfire — an act condemned by bereaved families and survivors of the apartment-block blaze that killed 72 people.
The Metropolitan Police force said five men turned themselves in at a police station late Monday and were arrested on suspicion of a public order offence after allegedly creating a copy of the fire-ravaged west London public housing tower. A sixth man handed himself in to police on Tuesday.
The men, who range in age from 19 to 55, were being held in custody Tuesday but had not been charged.
Survivors of the blaze expressed disgust at the video, which showed a large flammable model marked “Grenfell Tower,” complete with paper figures at the windows, being set on fire.
Khadijah Mamudu, whose mother and younger brother escaped the June 14, 2017, firestorm, called the burning of the model a “vile act.”
Prime Minister Theresa May called the video “utterly unacceptable,” and judge Martin Moore-Bick, who is leading an inquiry into the blaze, said it was “shocking and distressing to all those involved.”
Although it was not clear when the video was taken, it emerged on social media at a time of year when Britons celebrate Guy Fawkes Day. Many across the country light fireworks and bonfires to mark Fawkes’s failure to blow up Parliament in 1605.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0GvBWZDlqaw
http://torontosun.com/news/world/vil...r-effigy-video

MHz
Anybody get any updates on who was to blame or was it just a string of unlucky events?? Cosmetic or making the tenets more comfortable?

If the company that makes the product is looking to unload some 'old stock' the Indians in out north could use a trainload of the stuff.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

'VILE ACT': London police arrest 6 men in Grenfell Tower effigy video
Associated Press
Published:
November 6, 2018
Updated:
November 6, 2018 2:47 PM EST
In this grab taken from video, made available on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018, people place a model of Grenfell Towers onto a bonfire, in London. UGC via AP
London police said Tuesday that they have arrested six men over a video that showed a cardboard model of Grenfell Tower being burned on a bonfire — an act condemned by bereaved families and survivors of the apartment-block blaze that killed 72 people.
The Metropolitan Police force said five men turned themselves in at a police station late Monday and were arrested on suspicion of a public order offence after allegedly creating a copy of the fire-ravaged west London public housing tower. A sixth man handed himself in to police on Tuesday.
The men, who range in age from 19 to 55, were being held in custody Tuesday but had not been charged.
Survivors of the blaze expressed disgust at the video, which showed a large flammable model marked “Grenfell Tower,” complete with paper figures at the windows, being set on fire.
Khadijah Mamudu, whose mother and younger brother escaped the June 14, 2017, firestorm, called the burning of the model a “vile act.”
Prime Minister Theresa May called the video “utterly unacceptable,” and judge Martin Moore-Bick, who is leading an inquiry into the blaze, said it was “shocking and distressing to all those involved.”
Although it was not clear when the video was taken, it emerged on social media at a time of year when Britons celebrate Guy Fawkes Day. Many across the country light fireworks and bonfires to mark Fawkes’s failure to blow up Parliament in 1605.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0GvBWZDlqaw
http://torontosun.com/news/world/vil...r-effigy-video

ROD LIDDLE Grenfell effigy joke wasn’t funny — but making it a crime for the thought police sets a dangerous precedent

What happened after the 'joke' sets a dangerous precedent as the coppers got themselves involved and arrested six men — without knowing what crime had been committed, writes Rod Liddle

Comment
By Rod Liddle, Sun Columnist
7th November 2018
The Sun

SO, the six Grenfell Tower skanks have been released from custody by the Metropolitan Police.

These are the South Londoners who thought burning a cardboard effigy of Grenfell Tower in their back garden was a hoot. The tower even had screaming victims drawn in the windows.

Screengrab from a video posted on social media of a model of Grenfell Tower being burned over a fire

Most normal people would think this a foul thing to do and not remotely funny. But what happened next wasn’t funny, either.

The coppers got themselves involved, clearly untaxed by the low level of crime in the city, especially knife crime.

They arrested the six men. And here’s the point — an important point and a rather scary point. They arrested them without knowing what crime had been committed.

In other words, for effectively no reason. They arrested them THEN tried to think what they could charge them with. That is a very dangerous precedent indeed and, to my mind, a perversion of the law.

72 people died in the huge blaze that engulfed Grenfell Tower on June 14 2017

So serious a perversion that I think it demands the resignation of Cressida Dick, the Metropolitan Police chief. Because clearly the arrests were sanctioned at the highest level and the decision was taken for political reasons.

The Met — and Dick — are never happier than when grandstanding for reasons of political correctness. This time they have taken it way too far.

They didn’t only arrest these horrible blokes (who handed themselves in). They rooted through their dustbins to see if they could find anything incriminating.

With the hope of charging them on some other matter. Maybe putting the wrong things in the recycling bin.

Police rooting through the bins of two of the men behind the Bonfire Night joke - hoping to find something to charge them with, writes Rod Liddle

It’s outrageous behaviour from the police.

People make effigies largely to offend and have a spiteful laugh at people they don’t like.

The police take no notice *whatsoever when Israeli flags are burned in London by leftie demonstrators, or poppies burned by radical Muslims.

They don’t arrest the organisers of the Lewes bonfire night celebrations when they’re burning effigies of Boris Johnson and our Prime Minister, despite the considerable offence this causes those who disagree with their views.

Bobbi Connell, 19, and dad Clifford Smith, 49, handed themselves in after the Grenfell effigy video emerged online

Paul Bussetti, 46, is one of the men thought to have turned themselves in

Mark Russell, 49, also appeared in the twisted video

Nobody was arrested when an obscene, giant blimp of Donald Trump was set loose in London on the occasion of the President’s visit.

That nasty little prank had the backing of the hopeless Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan. He, of course, was one of the first to denounce the people who pulled the vicious Grenfell prank.

Because vile though it was, it was only a prank. Not a victimless crime, not a crime at all.

Having your sensibilities offended is not a matter for the police, whether you are on the Left or on the Right.

Party host Clifford Smith was described as 'not the sharpest tool in the box' by a neighbour

What the rest of us do is simply despise whoever was responsible and move on with our lives.

And remember that one man’s prank is another man’s outrage.

The police are all too happy, these days, to indulge in this kind of grandstanding.

To come down heavily on verbal or written hate crimes — when the victim, if they are a victim at all, is simply left a bit miffed for a while.

With the Grenfell arrests, though, they have stepped way over the line.

The only crime the six men committed was a thought-crime.

I didn’t think thought-crimes were on the statute book.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/768677...ce-rod-liddle/