Mayor John Tory calls for updated bylaw to regulate Uber, taxis


mentalfloss
#1
The best conservative ever.


Mayor John Tory calls for updated bylaw to regulate Uber, taxis

Mayor John Tory says modernized laws that would regulate Uber car and limousine services are now “priority number one” for the city.

His call for a single municipal bylaw to oversee all ground transportation, including both taxis and Uber, follows a court ruling that shut down the city’s attempt to ban the mobile app-based service on Toronto streets.

“The Ontario Superior Court ruling was clear: our bylaws, which were written many years before technology had advanced to where it is today, simply do not adequately capture the operations of companies like Uber,” Tory said at a city hall press conference Monday. “And, as a result, what we have to today is not a level playing field.”

The mayor said the city is still considering whether to appeal the judge’s decision. An appeal would need to be authorized by council.

In the meantime, Tory called for an expedited review to start immediately. Major reviews of the taxi industry have consumed city hall, but a renewed push to reverse recent changes was put on hold while council awaited the Uber judgment.

Tory said the plan is to have a new bylaw before council this fall.

“We need to level the playing field,” he said. “We need to have everybody who wishes to participate in this industry doing so within the law, and that means the law is going to have to be changed.”

The mayor said the UberX service, which allows anyone to hail a non-taxi driver for cheaper fares, is operating “outside the current law.” That practice has elicited concerns over both safety and proper insurance from critics in the taxi industry.

He said that model is not “sustainable” and that he would expect enforcement, pending the creation of a new bylaw.

“What we need is one bylaw that applies without question to everybody,” Tory added.

While it was the city that launched the court challenge, the mayor has been sympathetic to Uber’s cause; he said it’s up to the city to update outdated bylaws to acknowledge changes in technology. He said Monday he does not favour any one company and wants a regime that promotes “fair, equitable, convenient, safe service.”

A new bylaw should recognize fair competition and put passengers first, he added.
The mayor called Monday’s meeting, which brought together both sides, significant.

Uber Canada general manager Ian Black said Monday that Uber is looking forward to working with the city on a new bylaw regime, while reiterating that all Uber services are operating legally, according to the Superior Court. (Uber operates different car services: one service enables customers to hail licensed cabs; UberX, another service, allows them to hail non-taxi drivers for cheaper fares.)

“I think it was a good meeting to get all the opinions out around the table,” Black said. “We will continue to serve the City of Toronto, especially during the Pan Am Games.”

While taxi industry representatives said they were encouraged that Tory is calling for enforcement when it comes to UberX, the mayor’s comments appear to have been misinterpreted to mean the service is currently operating illegally.

Tory did not make that distinction, nor did Justice Sean Dunphy’s ruling make such a finding, instead saying that Uber has not breached the city’s current bylaws.

Those opposing Uber have said police and bylaw enforcement officers are not properly enforcing city rules or the Highway Traffic Act. “Nobody is outside the law,” said taxi fleet operator Sam Moini, who added that taxi services expect the current bylaws and Highway Traffic Act to be enforced.

“We can’t expect the wild, wild west to be occurring as it is right now.”
Beck Taxi’s Kristine Hubbard said the company is still concerned about Uber operating unlicenced services at “major” risk to passengers.

“It’s great, all these promises of 'We’ll get it done really quickly,' but during that period Uber will continue to grow and taxi drivers will continue to suffer,” said Hubbard. “How is that a compromise?”

But police spokesperson Mark Pugash pointed to recent Highway Traffic Act charges against Uber drivers, which were dropped.

“We had tickets under the HTA and the courts, the prosecution and the defence agreed that it didn’t come within the Highway Traffic Act,” he said.

“The courts made it clear that it was not the way to go.”

The city’s municipal licensing and standards division says it continues to enforce the current bylaws with respect to UberX, whose drivers it says are still operating as “unlicensed limousine drivers.”

The taxi industry, calling Tory’s push for new rules a positive first step, said Monday that earlier plans to stage a strike during the Pan Am Games have been “taken off the table.”

Tory said he has received assurances that service will operate normally during the weeks-long competition.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/...ber-taxis.html
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#2
If taxis weren't overcharging rip off artists, there would be no need for uber. Regulation = over inflated fares.

And what exactly is uber doing illegally? What exactly are they going to be charged with?
 
Walter
+3
#3
Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan
 
mentalfloss
-1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

If taxis weren't overcharging rip off artists, there would be no need for uber. Regulation = over inflated fares.

And what exactly is uber doing illegally? What exactly are they going to be charged with?

There is a mandatory fee that taxis are legislated to charge as a minimum so there isn't an even playing field.

This is a problem worldwide as governments begin to regulate the industry further.

Which they should be doing because the trend is that we are trying to move away from the dangers of free markets.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

There is a mandatory fee that taxis are legislated to charge as a minimum so there isn't an even playing field.

This is a problem worldwide as governments begin to regulate the industry further.

Which they should be doing because the trend is that we are trying to move away from the dangers of free markets.

Over regulation leads to abuses and black markets. In this case, what is the purpose of a minimum fare? It would seem to be creating a demand for uber and preventing legitimate cabbies from competing.
 
petros
+4
#6  Top Rated Post
The amount taxis pay to the city for licenses are insane. Drop this and the playing field is level.
 
DaSleeper
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Over regulation leads to abuses and black markets. In this case, what is the purpose of a minimum fare? It would seem to be creating a demand for uber and preventing legitimate cabbies from competing.

Is that a legislated minimum fare by the city or just taxi companies decision...?
 
petros
#8
City sets fares.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Is that a legislated minimum fare by the city or just taxi companies decision...?

I think its City of Toronto. Printed on City of Toronto letterhead. Also 100% the same in all taxi companies. If set by a company you would expect some variation.
 
petros
+1
#10
I know what they need. Well sir there is nothing on earth like a genuine, bonafide, electrified, six-car monorail. What did I say? Monorail! What's called? Monorail. That's right. Monorail.
 
Walter
+1
#11
Mono-D'oh!
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
#12
Why haven't taxi companies been crying out against designated drivers and Project Red Nose? Uber is risky business - especially if there's an accident with injury in a vehicle for hire without insurance coverage for said purpose.
 
petros
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Why haven't taxi companies been crying out against designated drivers and Project Red Nose? Uber is risky business - especially if there's an accident with injury in a vehicle for hire without insurance coverage for said purpose.

At Christmas they have all the business they can handle as it is.
 
mentalfloss
-1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Over regulation leads to abuses and black markets. In this case, what is the purpose of a minimum fare? It would seem to be creating a demand for uber and preventing legitimate cabbies from competing.

This is not over regulation by any stretch and there are serious consequences to safety and insurance when you have unlicensed 'taxi drivers' using their personal vehicle for commercial use.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+4
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

This is not over regulation by any stretch and there are serious consequences to safety and insurance when you have unlicensed 'taxi drivers' using their personal vehicle for commercial use.

But this does not change the fact that inflated fares keep demand for uber high.
 
Walter
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

This is not over regulation by any stretch and there are serious consequences to safety and insurance when you have unlicensed 'taxi drivers' using their personal vehicle for commercial use.

Wuss.
 
DaSleeper
#17
What is the difference between uber and car pooling?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

What is the difference between uber and car pooling?

There is a 3rd party in the middle doing the arranging.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#19
I have no idea how cabbies in TO are paid - but in the town I hacked in, it was a 60/40 split where 60 pays the gas. Many nights I sat out there for $100 in fares, had to pretend annoying drunks were funny, then had to fill the car
 
mentalfloss
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

What is the difference between uber and car pooling?

You don't have to pay someone to car pool so the vehicle is not necessarily being used for commercial purposes.
 
DaSleeper
+2
#21
If the same car is always used for the car pool, don't try and make me believe that no money changes hands.....
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

I have no idea how cabbies in TO are paid - but in the town I hacked in, it was a 60/40 split where 60 pays the gas. Many nights I sat out there for $100 in fares, had to pretend annoying drunks were funny, then had to fill the car

When I drove cab, part time when my family was growing up....for extra cash.....
The taxi car owner got 65% and paid for the gas and I got 35%.....
There was also an unwritten rule......if I got a flat ratefare to timmins....a hundred miles away or hearst . the fare was split the regular way....but if I was lucky enough to get a fare on the return trip, that wasn't scheduled....it was all mine!
 
mentalfloss
#22
The vehicle is being used for commercial purposes.

Because this is more widespread than car pooling you will begin to see licensing requirements in place and people who use the service will need to update their insurance policy.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#23
That increased cost for liability insurance will just about do Uber in. Cabs (and sometimes even volunteer drivers) make great targets for insurance scams
 
bill barilko
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Why haven't taxi companies been crying out against designated drivers and Project Red Nose? Uber is risky business - especially if there's an accident with injury in a vehicle for hire without insurance coverage for said purpose.

Yup no matter what insurance Uber says it has in California it's NFG in any Canadian province.
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

There is a 3rd party in the middle doing the arranging.

And taking a cut.
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The vehicle is being used for commercial purposes.Because this is more widespread than car pooling you will begin to see licensing requirements in place and people who use the service will need to update their insurance policy.

Easy 10 grand a year here and that's 100% on the Uber driver/slave.
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

That increased cost for liability insurance will just about do Uber in. Cabs (and sometimes even volunteer drivers) make great targets for insurance scams

That's why Uber says it's not in the transportation business-which is 100% of a lie.
 
mentalfloss
-1
#25
There's actually nothing wrong with Uber to be honest. It's a good service and the original intention for that service is well founded.

This is just a case where regulation has to catch up with technology.
 
bill barilko
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

There's actually nothing wrong with Uber to be honest. It's a good service and the original intention for that service is well founded.

To Be Honest it's a typical corporate ripoff-tripling prices are demand increases and dodging any obligations of any kind to employees who after signing find out they work for an empty shell corporation that has no assets nor obligations of any kind.

You post some idiotic Bee Ess here but that takes the cake.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

This is just a case where regulation has to catch up with technology.

It's corporate bloodsucking is what it is.
 
JamesBondo
+2
#27
a smart taxi company would figure out a way to partner with Uber
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I think its City of Toronto. Printed on City of Toronto letterhead. Also 100% the same in all taxi companies. If set by a company you would expect some variation.

It is a regulated industry, just like tucking used to be. The mandatory fee is a minimum, you are free to charge more, just not less. Antiquated concept like selling licenses to ensure existing companies make good money by controlling the number of cabs and limit new entrants. Much like marketing boards it skews the playing field in favor of existing license holders and provides a fair number of government jobs administering the system.

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

There is a 3rd party in the middle doing the arranging.

There is in car pooling too. Got a government number to call. In Vancouver anyway.
 
mentalfloss
#29
Uber Canada says it will pay its drivers' tickets

Ride-share company says drivers shouldn't pay price for 'outdated regulations'

Uber has assured its drivers that it will pay for any bylaw tickets they receive.

In an email sent to its drivers Thursday, the ride-share company wrote, "Until new regulations are written, there may be a few cases of ticketing for non-criminal bylaw infractions (with no demerit points or record).

"If you receive a bylaw ticket for driving on the Uber platform, please email us and we will take care of it."

Earlier this month, Mayor John Tory said council will work to change its bylaws governing the taxi industry to enable cab companies to be more competitive with Uber and services like it. City staff is expected to provide council with new regulatory options in September.

Uber spokeswoman Susie Heath told CBC News that "in instances of enforcement, we will always stand behind the hardworking community of driver partners in Toronto and support them fully.

"We don't believe that the burden of enforcement of outdated regulations should fall on individual drivers," Heath said.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/toro...kets-1.3147654
 
CDNBear
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

The best conservative ever.

...

Mayor John Tory says modernized laws that would regulate Uber car and limousine services are now “priority number one” for the city.

lol...
 

Similar Threads

1
Support for mayor Tory ''sky high''
by mentalfloss | Jan 13th, 2015
0
Mayor John Tory performs in the Nutcracker
by spaminator | Dec 14th, 2014
3
11
John Tory Wins
by Tecumsehsbones | Oct 28th, 2014
3
John Tory: Respect for the Law
by mentalfloss | Jun 18th, 2014