Gun Control is Completely Useless.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

!. tax the shit out of them and try to get some of the money up front for the damage they do.
2. you complain that the RCMP should not be the ones to classify guns - but that has nothing to do with writing the law
3. There are lots of gun bans in North America. Stop trying to pretend there are not.

Typical commie solution. Ever notice it is only communist countries that have to fence thie citizens in? And only the government has guns

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

No we are not. Legit gun owners are being harassed while criminals skate on plea bargains

Tangling with the authorities a lot, are you?

Colpy
Conservative
+1

2. you complain that the RCMP should not be the ones to classify guns - but that has nothing to do with writing the law

Dimwit.....when they are doing things specifically outside the law, they are creating law.
Last edited by Colpy; 3 weeks ago at 11:19 AM..

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

Ah but remember Canadians are happy with the laws as they are. Now it is a matter of catching the smugglers and thieves that seem to still have guns available.. You know very well that wishing and campaigning for the same laws the US operates under simply is neither sensible or particularly wanted by most Canadians. Defend the US rules all you want as long as you realize it ain't gonna happen

================================================== ================================================== ====

PITY OUR POOR FOOLISH Bluebyrdie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is flittering about in feather straining circles here trying to have her cake and eat it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the one hand she desperately wants LIE-berals to retain their hold on power for the sake of the gravy she is getting from them!!!!!!!!

And of course the daughter of bluebyrdie works for LIE-berals and HER GRAVY needs to be protected as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is - as Bluebyrdie knows well - is that voting LIE-beral means both strong support for Hog gravy - and VERY WEAK

CRIME FIGHTING EFFORTS by wretched LIE-beral hug a thug judges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT IS a foolish little Bluebyrdie supposed to do about such conflicting interests???????????????????????????

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Dimwit.....when they are doing things specifically outside the law, they are creating law.

classifying guns is not making laws.

please confine yourself to lying about other things

Colpy
Conservative
+2

classifying guns is not making laws.

please confine yourself to lying about other things

Incompetence in Reading Comprehension on your part does not constitute lying on my part.

It obviously is de facto making law when they are acting outside the letter of the law.

JamesBondo
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I've already posted one link proving that guns are the most used murder weapon in the US.

Well if you are going to repeat yourself, so will I. In Canada, they do kill more people than guns.

Quote:

Guns are the preferred murder weapon here too.
Homicide victims, primary methods used to commit homicide
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=3510006901

I thank you for cherry picking the 2016 data. There are other years where cherry picking would have benefited me. I'm sure we will never agree which year to use so lets use all years...

When looking at all years,that chart shows more homicides by stabbing than homicides by shootings

DaSleeper
+1

Incompetence in Reading Comprehension on your part does not constitute lying on my part.

It obviously is de facto making law when they are acting outside the letter of the law.

To be fair, one could argue that the food and drug administration is allowed to ban a product without having to get government approval for every single item.

JamesBondo
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

To be fair, one could argue that the food and drug administration is allowed to ban a product without having to get government approval for every single item.

I can appreciate what you are saying, but I think there are differences in play here.

The FDA can do things like block import of a product for failure to meet FDA requirements, but they aren't adding new drugs to the 'marijuana is absolutely illegal' list. If that makes any sense.

DaSleeper
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

I can appreciate what you are saying, but I think there are differences in play here.

The FDA can do things like block import of a product for failure to meet FDA requirements, but they aren't adding new drugs to the 'marijuana is absolutely illegal' list. If that makes any sense.

It still is a valid debating point instead of "Ban all guns" on one side and "No new regulations" on the other side!
The real point is...."Did the government give the RCMP authorization to to make those decisions?" And why did no one take those regulations to court?
Maybe someone did ....or not....I don't know....
I'm just playing devils' advocate here, to keep the argument sensible.....
Instead of standing back to back and walking ten paces........................................

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Hoidie appears to averse to taking the Reading course for Dummies....at his peril

Hoid
More mindless criticism.

Who should be determining gun classifications?

Maybe the plumbers union could take a crack at it.

Colpy
Conservative
+1

More mindless criticism.

Who should be determining gun classifications?

Maybe the plumbers union could take a crack at it.

Parliament, dimwit.

Hoid
Right. Because classifying guns is making laws, so lawmakers should make them.

I guess the Senate would have to sign off on it too.

spilledthebeer

OH HOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How you do spew the crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE KEY IS GETTING GUNS AWAY FROM CRIMINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Classifying guns is IRRELEVANT COMPARED TO GETTING RID OF LIE-beral hug a thug judges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And there would be less crime if LIE-berals generally did not buy votes by sucking up to criminals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals are far to quick to release hard core criminals when they are only one third of the way through an ALREADY INADEQUATE SENTENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spilledthebeer

Well if you are going to repeat yourself, so will I. In Canada, they do kill more people than guns.

I thank you for cherry picking the 2016 data. There are other years where cherry picking would have benefited me. I'm sure we will never agree which year to use so lets use all years...

When looking at all years,that chart shows more homicides by stabbing than homicides by shootings

================================================== ================================================== ====

Oh what a tangled web LIE-berals weave when they wish to deceive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is anecdotal evidence to indicate the following::

A knife is often a weapon picked up in anger- an impulse control issue for the drunk and stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But a gun is apparently preferred by our gang bangers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gun is the preferred weapon of calculated killers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A guN is preferred by humans hunting other humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The knife wielder must be up close-in the victims face...................the gun man can stand at a distance and ambush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have seen lots of security video of gang morons shooting others....................but NO vedeo of people being stabbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We can reasonably guess that a pistol is the weapon of choice for gang goofs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And since we live next door to the most heavily armed civilian population on the planet- and since our LIE-berals will not seal the

border against drug and gun smugglers or even block illegals.......... because they refuse to waste their gravy on our safety.............it

stands to reason that we should BAN gangsters rather than bother PRETENDING TO BAN PISTOLS................THAT ARE ALREADY

ILLEGAL ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, life would be both quieter and more prosperous if we banned gangs and their LIE-beral enablers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation

No we are not. Legit gun owners are being harassed while criminals skate on plea bargains

Yes they are. According to stats there are about 26 % gun owning households in Canada and as some would say that is not accurate. So adjusting that to even 45%. in conceding the number too low . It still leaves 55% quite happy without a gun!! and happy with our law. As for harassing what is this based on?? Have they changed the gun laws significantly or merely making sure the law is abided by.

If the taxes on guns go up why should they not??? Everything else is subject to tax increases so why not guns?

Hoid

Ever notice it is only communist countries that have to fence thie citizens in?

Ever notice Trump trying to build a wall?

JamesBondo

Yes they are. According to stats there are about 26 % gun owning households in Canada and as some would say that is not accurate. So adjusting that to even 45%. in conceding the number too low . It still leaves 55% quite happy without a gun!! and happy with our law. As for harassing what is this based on?? Have they changed the gun laws significantly or merely making sure the law is abided by.
If the taxes on guns go up why should they not??? Everything else is subject to tax increases so why not guns?

Clearly you are not a fan of the principle of limitations, where freedoms are subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society

Colpy
Conservative
+1

That is exactly correct.

Although we could avoid all this stupidity by adopting the new Conservative Party policy on classification:

All selective fire or full auto firearms are prohibited.

All firearms with an overall length of less than 660 mm are restricted.

All firearms not full auto, and with an overall length of more than 660 mm are non-restricted.

Simple, as effective as what we have now, and capable of classification by any moron with a tape measure.

JamesBondo
there are only 3 classifications in Canada. It should not require a rocket scientist to clearly define them.

DaSleeper
+1

That is exactly correct.

Although we could avoid all this stupidity by adopting the new Conservative Party policy on classification:

All firearms not full auto, and with an overall length of more than 660 mm are non-restricted.

Simple, as effective as what we have now, and capable of classification by any moron with a tape measure.

If they know how to use it.......

Many years ago I had a .30 M1 carbine....
Several years after I had purchased it a Liberal government(I think 1981), in their wisdom decided to make all center fire semi autos with a barrel length of less than 18inches restricted. Since I lived next door to the OPP I walked over with the rifle in it's case to register it.
It must have been the first time that officer had done this because he had to phone somewhere to check on the law.
After hanging up he got a measuring tape, opened the breech, hooked the tape there and measure over 18 inches tot he tip of the gun.

That's when I had to show him how to measure a barrel....
I took the cleaning rod out of the gun case, closed the breech and put the cleaning rod in the barrel till it stopped on the bolt face, put a mark on the rod at the barrel tip, and voila, the barrel measured less than 18"

Tecumsehsbones
+1

That is exactly correct.

Gotta confess, Colpy, as you saw, I got on the gun-banners' train for a bit there.

That's OK, I'm better now.

The temptation to "do something" to address a dangerous, horrible situation is very strong. Fell into it myself.

Now I'm back to "do something effective." As the Zen Buddhists say "Don't just do something, sit there!"

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
Scheer lays out plan for gun violence

Quote:

OTTAWA - Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says he wants to tackle a surge of gun violence in Canada by targeting criminals who use weapons illegally, rather than supporting an outright handgun ban.
Scheer is to unveil the second part of his plan for improving public safety Tuesday in Delta, B.C.: a policy plank focused entirely on guns.
It is a response to the calls for a ban on handguns and assault weapons in Canada, and instead proposes to give police more tools and write tougher laws to crack down on illegal gun users in Canada.
Scheer's gun policy includes seven new policy measures that will target repeat offenders or criminals that help to make illegal guns available on the streets. They include tougher sentences for those who knowingly possess smuggled weapons and cracking down on so-called "straw purchases" in which guns bought by otherwise legal buyers are diverted to criminal markets. New penalties for selling guns to people already prohibited from possessing them are also part of the Conservative plan.
"We need to get guns out of the hands of people who use them to commit crimes, and that's what this policy will do," said a senior Conservative party official. "A handgun ban may sound like a good idea, but it will only make criminals out of responsible gun owners while doing nothing to prevent criminals from getting guns."
Scheer will also vow to create a special task force to try to keep guns from being smuggled in from the United States.
Canada has had a rash of gun killings this year, including a mass shooting on Toronto’s Danforth Avenue in July that killed an 18-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl and injured 13 others.
A shooting this weekend at a community-housing complex in Toronto was the 90th homicide this year in the city, breaking the record for the deadliest year in Toronto since 1991.
Calls for Ottawa to ban handguns and assault weapons have been growing, including from both Montreal and Toronto city councils.
Scheer has taken a strong stance against the push for a handgun ban, saying it would penalize law-abiding gun owners while failing to address the ongoing use and smuggling of illegal guns by criminals and gang members.
Scheer announced the first part of his public safety policy earlier this month, in which he outlined more punitive measures for gang members and organized crime organizations. He also wants to impose tougher jail sentences and limit parole and bail opportunities for gang members who are repeat and violent offenders.
Since 2013, gang-related homicides in Canada’s largest cities have almost doubled, according to Public Safety Canada.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Gotta confess, Colpy, as you saw, I got on the gun-banners' train for a bit there.

That's OK, I'm better now.

The temptation to "do something" to address a dangerous, horrible situation is very strong. Fell into it myself.

Now I'm back to "do something effective." As the Zen Buddhists say "Don't just do something, sit there!"

LOL!!

That's OK, we are both tolerant and forgiving.

"Don't just do something, sit there!"

I love it.

And as you point out, absolutely appropriate in this case.

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation

Clearly you are not a fan of the principle of limitations, where freedoms are subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society

Wrong as usual. What you class as freedoms are dangerous and foolish. Freedom to live life comes first and from the stats that come out of places with no gun laws or weak ones, the freedom to even live in many cases is cut short. And don;t give me that shit about getting a gun to defend ourselves with!! When deranged young men get a gun and shoot up a school, a church, even hospitals because they are angry and have a gun, who loses their freedom to live? Children, sick people,and people talking to their gods!!

What right do you have to complain? In this country you can enjoy hunting or go target shooting when all that is required is pay is a few taxes, learn safety rules and to follow the few laws that offer some protection to those who cannot, will not or do not want to spend our lives looking over our shoulders or losing our privilege to live!!

Tecumsehsbones

What you class as freedoms are dangerous and foolish.

Yeah, that's what they said when women, non-whites, and gays used their freedoms to expose abuse and demand equality.

DaSleeper
RE: My previous post on gun barrel lenght.....
I've always wondered why all gun barrels are measured the same way........
Except the revolver......where the cartridge chamber "cylinder" is not included in the measurement.........

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

RE: My previous post on gun barrel lenght.....
I've always wondered why all gun barrels are measured the same way........
Except the revolver......where the cartridge chamber "cylinder" is not included in the measurement.........

Maybe, it's for the same reason that they only market "Extra Large" condoms.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Maybe, it's for the same reason that they only market "Extra Large" condoms.

Have you been taking posting lessons from Mhz?

Sorry............................. that was way too mean.......
I apologize.....